• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Karakand

Psia krew! My PC is too long in the tooth for this and I'm a couple of months away from an upgrade. I guess a 360 port is probably out of the question. Kurwa! (I'm quickly exhausting all the Polish I know. :lol )

Minimum requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800

1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista

128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)

8.5 GB available hard drive space

DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones

DVD-Rom

Recommended requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO

8.5 GB available hard drive space

DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones

DVD-Rom

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/game/system_requirements.html

firex

damn, I almost meet the minimum requirements. I'll still wait on it until I can afford to build my new system though. by then it'll be like $20 even for the import version.

OK, here is the real deal regarding what is changed in the US version versus the one in the UK and other EU terroritories.

All dialogues and quests are intact in the US version. Only some graphical assets had to be modified.

That's from development team themselves earlier this month.

Fragamemnon said:
OK, here is the real deal regarding what is changed in the US version versus the one in the UK and other EU terroritories.

That's from development team themselves earlier this month.

Eh, I'm still buying the UK version. I want to see boobies!

witcher136.jpg

I meet the recommended requirement the only thing that falls short is my processor which is a 2.0 ghz core duo 1 and I need to get another gb of ram. I am going to have to actually install XP on my macbook pro for this one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm realizing I haven't really gotten into an ARPG since Diablo (1). The combat in this game sounds really interesting. I wonder if it will play well (better) with a controller--some of the descriptions give me that impression.

bry-bry

EvolveTom said:
Actually, if the PC version does well enough, it's entirely possible. The devs are interested.

Best news I've heard in a long while, and it only slightly qualifies as news. PLEASE SELL WELL.

Eiolon

I've been waiting forever for this game. The only thing that I don't like so far is the menu's take up half the screen. They aren't transparent so you can't see if anything is happening. I am wondering if world action is suspended if you have a menu open or not.

Bossman said:
I just want to highlight some of Nick's lines from that preview because I think it's hilarious:

"Your momma sucks dwarf cock."

What.

What?

Doesn't this guy realize that I'm The motherfucking Witcher? The infamous slayer of monsters and devilry? The pale-faced, bar-hopping amnesiac? The sterile, dwarf-loving tough guy? I have silver swords and shit. What is he thinking?

"You fight like a lass," he says, taunting me.

What the hell is this game?
The Witcher isn't exactly a breath of fresh air. It's more like the musty, stimulating smell of an old library; somewhat stale, but comforting, nostalgic. It's a throwback to an age when the ESRB didn't exist, and when game designers were free to fling as much sex and violence around as they saw fit; when they were willing to fill their RPGs with outlandish one-liners and depressingly realistic scenarios, and to pose nude on box covers.
After saving one woman from a band of would-be rapists, I'm hit with a quest to run her back across town to her house, protecting her from roving helldogs in the process. All the way, she's teasing me with promises: "Hustlers always get rewarded, hee hee." Yeah.

"I live with my grandma. I'd rather not shock her," she says on arrival. Typical. At this point I figure the jig is up--Game Over--which is just when my sly character suggests meeting the next day, at a secluded mill down the road. At this point I'm talking to the screen: "Geralt, you cheeky bastard."

"You bring the wine, I'll bring the food," she replies, prompting a quest to find a bottle of wine in time for the rendezvous. Which I do, for science, and inevitably all of this triggers a cutscene.

I'm going to make an official thread for this game, and I'm using that "your momma sucks dwarf cock" line in the title.

The whole preview is a really great read-actually, I'd say that most of the stuff I read on the Shack nowadays is of extremely high quality. Keep up the good work!

Fragamemnon said:
I'm going to make an official thread for this game, and I'm using that "your momma sucks dwarf cock" line in the title.

The whole preview is a really great read-actually, I'd say that most of the stuff I read on the Shack nowadays is of extremely high quality. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! We're trying real hard!

Great preview, Chris. This game sounds wicked. Is it an open-world adventure (ala Bethesda's Morrowind and Oblivion), or are paths fairly linear?

disappeared said:
Great preview, Chris. This game sounds wicked. Is it an open-world adventure (ala Bethesda's Morrowind and Oblivion), or are paths fairly linear?
Seems to be completely open, but I'm not sure how it works.

Vaporak

Chris Remo said:
I just want to highlight some of Nick's lines from that preview because I think it's hilarious:

That preview had me hooked from the dwarf cock. :lol I was vaguely interested in this game before but now I definitely have to check it out, I can always use another good wRPG.

szaromir

Banned
Eiolon said:
Can anyone translate this and tell me if a soundtrack CD is included? Many thanks.
1. External box for all elements.
2. Box.
3. A slim DVD box for each disc.
4. Two sided map on a special paper.
5. Manual.
6. Gamer's guide.
7. Andrzej Sapkowski's short story.
8. Bonus DVD with videos
9. Game disc.
10. Soundtrack on CD.

3 days left.

saelz8

Bossman said:

Funky Monk said:
European games magazines and websites begin to publish first reviews of The Witcher, and so far reviewers reactions are nothing short of delightful. Two largest and very strict in their opinions French magazines – PC JEUX and Joystick gave The Witcher 90% and 9/10 as well as awards. The biggest norwegian game website X6 rated The Witcher even higher - for maximum 6/6. It is basically the beginning, and we believe it will be even better!

* Joystick review 9/10 + Megastar award
“Forget everything you know about RPG’s. Intense and deep…The Witcher is the new reference for RPG’s”

* PC Jeux review 90% ‘Hit PC Jeux’ award

* X6 (x6.no) 6/6
“The Witcher sets a new standard and is a fresh wind in a genre that has been still for many years when it comes to development.”

Hot

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Danne-Danger said:
What the hell, we've got a sleeper on our hands.

Yep, the all-format reign of gaming delight continues. Now if only I could buy an extra few hours a day, or even better d/l them off of Steam.

Victrix

*beard*
Someone have a solid link for importing this from the UK?

I require digital tits with my elder rpg action. Plus, it'll be a fun discussion with my gf when she wanders into the room in mid-embarassing nerd moment.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Victrix said:
Someone have a solid link for importing this from the UK?

I require digital tits with my elder rpg action. Plus, it'll be a fun discussion with my gf when she wanders into the room in mid-embarassing nerd moment.

I went with GoGamer per frag's recommendation. Be sure to get the (I) version.

BeeDog

Thank god I preordered the limited edition. The Mask Of The Betrayer left me wanting more PC RPG goodness, and hopefully this one'll fit the bill.

Danj

disappeared said:
Import version go!

VE3D said:
The reward Geralt does receive is a tarot-like card from each conquest, with the lady in question posing in a suggestive manner. In the European edition of the game this pose includes fully visible breasts and nipples. The North American edition includes cards edited to hide the majority of the breast and all nipples.

I wonder, could these two things be related? :lol

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
an age when the ESRB didn't exist, and when game designers were free to fling as much sex and violence around as they saw fit; when they were willing to fill their RPGs with outlandish one-liners and depressingly realistic scenarios, and to pose nude on box covers
INSTABUY

I can't remember the last game I didn't play at Hard difficultly. It's just the way I like to play my games-the extra demands on the player as a result make for a more rich and challenging experience, IMO.

Of course, in some games (like HL2) hard mode doesn't mean all that much.

Kabouter

Fragamemnon said:
I can't remember the last game I didn't play at Hard difficultly. It's just the way I like to play my games-the extra demands on the player as a result make for a more rich and challenging experience, IMO.

Of course, in some games (like HL2) hard mode doesn't mean all that much.
You play games like Hearts of Iron 2 on hard/very hard? :X
You're insane! (Especially if in HoI you play as the Netherlands or something instead of Germany/US/USSR/Japan)

Danj

Hmm, I meet the recommended requirements on everything except the graphics card. And that'll be getting upgraded for Christmas. Yay!

Top Bottom