• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Demo on eShop [up in JP/EU, now up in NA]

DJ88

I think that's the consolation medal lol.

Exactly it makes zero sense. I've tried everything to get higher combo medals and nothing works. Like the last boss. First ill team attack him till he's stunned, then I'll use the sword, jump and hit him sending him up into the air, then proceed to draw out 4 unite morphs while he's still in the fucking air, being attacked by everything I've got. He's dead in like 4 seconds, yet here comes the score, oh combo consolation medal. What the fuck?! What the hell counts as a combo in this game?

Exactly it makes zero sense. I've tried everything to get higher combo medals and nothing works. Like the last boss. First ill team attack him till he's stunned, then I'll use the sword, jump and hit him sending him up into the air, then proceed to draw out 4 unite morphs while he's still in the fucking air, being attacked by everything I've got. He's dead in like 4 seconds, yet here comes the score, oh combo consolation medal. What the fuck?! What the hell counts as a combo in this game?

Are you just getting this for the combo rankings? Cause that doesn't make any sense.

I'll juggle enemies for the entire fight and get platinums.

alan666

Banned
This. It actually boggles my mind how many people are playing on easy. Even outside of the fact the game isnt that hard, I doubt easy gives enemies enough health to even explore the mechanics properly.

but hay, everyone has to start somewhere.

people have been saying that this game was going to be very hard, up until this demo, Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox on normal mode was a hard game, i was expecting W101 to be in the same category.

Fandangox

So played the demo a second time, and it went a lot better than in my first try. It takes a bit to udnerstand the mechanics, but then it gets really good. On my first try I got the Consolation prize after finishing the Story Mode part of the Demo, but got Platinum on my second one.

Feels good.

Proven

Ok I'm tired of this, I need to fucking know what that flat purple/green medal is. Is it worse than bronze and stone? I keep trying to get better at combos so I'll completely destroy a section with 4 unite morphs at once, all going at the same time, isn't that a combo? So I'll finish the section and get this weird purple/green medal. What the hell is that? It's not making any sense to me.

For the last fight in particular, you're not playing with your food enough. Your score is a combination of your base value and your multiplier. Your multiplier raises with every hit, so doing four unites at a time is awesome, but if get only 300 x3 it isn't going to be a lot.

Most of your base value comes from stun bonuses. It takes a little while to get a full ston with the team attacks, while you get extra points if you stun them through a block. It's weird because you say you're stunning and juggling them, as then you should be getting at least +100 per juggle/stun hit. The only other option is...

You're burning through his health too fast. The Platinum medal for mission 10 is like 3k points or something.

Highwind

Maybe try again? From earlier in the thread:

w101minutesy1y31.jpg

This is a dangerously accurate picture of my experience.

Fuck, the music, the gameplay....I'm addicted to a fucking demo. x_x

zroid

Banned
FINALLY have a chance to play this

I am at the difficulty select screen, currently in love with Red's game-playing "poses". Is this what happens when P* and Nintendo work together? You get a balls-out action game with Nintendo tier charm?

PLEASE MAKE MORE GAMES WITH NINTENDO, PLATINUM!

Regiruler

I get the weariness towards it but the game is insanely lenient. I have had some sketchy as fuck circles that didn't even close and it counted anyway.

The only control issue I have had was the segment on the football field, I was trying to make a massive sword and it actually was so massive it spanned onto a building in the background and my line turned rainbow and into a ladder instead. I do think there is a legitimate worry for some of the other ones, like wonder pink having the game think certain things aren't an s, but it seems like something that you will learn how to quickly make well either way.

I do think r-stick is vital to this, however. Especially in mission mode where there is no ingame slowdown during drawing, I'm not sure which it is in the full game, but being able to parry while drawing saved my ass.

I've actually found Unite Whip to be the most lenient. In fact, often when I try to go into hammer it does whip instead.

DJ88

For the last fight in particular, you're not playing with your food enough. Your score is a combination of your base value and your multiplier. Your multiplier raises with every hit, so doing four unites at a time is awesome, but if get only 300 x3 it isn't going to be a lot.

Most of your base value comes from stun bonuses. It takes a little while to get a full ston with the team attacks, while you get extra points if you stun them through a block. It's weird because you say you're stunning and juggling them, as then you should be getting at least +100 per juggle/stun hit. The only other option is...

You're burning through his health too fast. The Platinum medal for mission 10 is like 3k points or something

This was it. Switched up to normal and finally started getting platinums for the combo medal. They were just dying so fast I wasn't getting the points needed to platinum haha. It was driving me crazy

Ahhhhh. I was doing a shape with A, then pressing X and trying to do another shape with A. No wonder it didn't work. Thanks!
Yep! Just remember to be mindful of the size shape you draw in relation to how many troops you have. The bigger the shape, the more troops it will use. This can be a problem when you have 2-4 multi morphs going at one time, so draw small at first and work your way up to get a feel for the ratio.

The demo is actually quite meaty, so don't be afraid to dig into it and look for things. Lots of content to play with.

Damn, this game is badfuckingass. I knew from the impressions that I should take it slow and try to absorb all the nuances so I started on Normal and took the time to learn the basics. And holy assballs this game is fun. The controls are super tight and it's fun as hell to destroy shit. Also, the one-on-one battles are so much fun. I love the feeling of blocking an enemy's attack, which puts them on their ass. Feels so good. I wasn't really sure on this game before, but this demo changes my opinion to definitely buy (not on day one, but when it reduces in price). I also love the detailed and colorful world. It's very Nintendo-like in many ways.

Edit: And I didn't have much issues with controls and moves, since I took a bit of time to look through the pause menu and basically experimented in a safe spot.

I must have missed this, but how do you unlock yellow and pink for mission mode?
I can't properly link to a video on mobile, but they are invisible in the waiting area in Mission Mode.

Draw a circle or half-circle and walk around until the line turns a rainbow color. Wonder Pink is on the left. Wonder Yellow is on the right.

Like many have said, I've found the second playthrough to be much more fun than the first. I didn't find any of the encounters particularly interesting, but after getting used to the controls, everything feels buttery smooth aside from the drawing, whether it be on the gamepad or the right analogue stick.

The fist is proving to be the most cumbersome to draw for me. The gun and sword are easy enough though, especially after I realized you could draw the sword horizontally on the gamepad to make for a longer line. I kinda don't like how quickly a good portion of your squad will dissipate from the weapon you've created so quickly, and you are left with a tiny little sword or gun, only to have to draw it again to power it up. Perhaps this is done so that players don't drain their morph gauge so quickly, but I really hope you can buy something at the shop or get pickups that allow for a longer period of wielding your superweapon.

Overall though I think the game will be great based off of everything I have seen and played, and from peoples reactions to the direct yesterday (I didn't watch it as I have seen everything on the game up to that point). It sucks that those of us in NA have to wait so long, but it won't be that bad as there are always other great games to play :)

I wasn't really sure on this game before, but this demo changes my opinion to definitely buy (not on day one, but when it reduces in price).
I'm not sure when a price drop would happen for this. Nintendo usually isn't too keen on such tactics. I suppose an unofficial one can happen during a sale or something.

zroid

Banned
yup, just like seemingly everyone, was button-a-mashing in the beginning, but now I finally understand how to do unite combos and it's clicking oh so well. it's so satisfying just busting the crap out of everything.

so, couple questions.

1: does the hang-glider morph just give you a temporary speed boost? anything else?
(edit: never mind, I get it now, found the list of unite morphs in the main menu)

2: what do the morph/colour alignments of all your recruits mean?

Newegg might still have a 10% off when you preorder. $53.99, no tax, possibly free shipping. Not bad.

On top of this great gameplay, there will be a storyline/cut scenes, huge boss battles, a lot of secrets/puzzles, vehicle missions. Im excited.

Havent played pikmin yet since playing the demo yesterday. Its so fun.

zroid

Banned
consolation prize for my first playthrough on normal

I'll do better next time <_____>

the tanks are really brutal for me, I'm not good at picking up on their attack cues

NotLiquid

the tanks are really brutal for me, I'm not good at picking up on their attack cues

Don't do the same mistake I did - I was under the impression that reflecting their attacks required the same amount of precision as Metal Gear Rising's parry. The block is forgiving as hell in this game, the moment you see the tank do a jump or have it's cannon light up, block immediately.

Frodo

Pudding block their attacks. When they are topped over you can attack them freely or you can draw a circle around them to throw them...

Reading the thread, I apparently had a strange experience by getting a gold on normal on my first playthrough. I'm not even that good at action games or anything, really, but watching the direct helped me grasp the mechanics fairly quickly. I suggest checking that out if you're really struggling with it.

Regiruler

Just a heads up, you can't use a multi-morph assist if all the users of that morph are already in a unite. This becomes troublesome when you try to do a Gun Assist, Whip Assist, or Hammer Assist and Wonder Green (although there are some civilians with gun), Wonder Pink, or Wonder Yellow is part of the weapon you are using.

It's an interesting meta-detail that proves you want to have multiples of each power.

An annoying thing I've run into is that you can't change your main morph into another morph if you don't have enough extra people. It can't use the heroes currently in your main morph as ammo for the new one so if your current morph is really big you have to cancel before a switch.

Joqu

Not sure if this has been posted before but this guy has made a video where he plays through the whole demo. He's pretty good and explains certain things so it might be worth watching if you're having trouble.

Link (He's a pretty great LPer too by the way.)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Tanks are cute. Scorpions, OTOH..

zroid

Banned
damn I never even tried to block/reflect the tanks' attacks U_U

I had just been dodging and wailing on it with the bazooka/pistol :(

Kouriozan

Not sure if this has been posted before but this guy has made a video where he plays through the whole demo. He's pretty good and explains certain things so it might be worth watching if you're having trouble.

Thanks for the video, that guy is really good :eek:

Frodo

I'm watching to this video and I just LOVE the music in this game.

Platinum you have my heart forever.

NotLiquid

Very good video. Newcomers who are having trouble getting into the game ought to check this out for some helpful advice. It's really thorough.

EDIT: Holy shit I had no idea you could actually lift up enemies, throw them and directly combo them before they smash into the ground. This game is blowing my mind.

Jrs3000

Encase nobody figured it out to form the bazooka you need at least 50 heroes and you can either A charge up the gun morph unit or B form the gun formation and make it big as possible.

Glad there was a demo for this game.

I tried it but didn't finish it. It...doesn't really appeal to me. I think it makes good use of the gamepad, albeit a little clumsily: not sure how to use ZR when I'm drawing figures with my right hand, but I didn't check to see if you could alter the control scheme. Can't put my finger on why I don't like it, but I guess I didn't really find it engaging. Perhaps it was because the game's attention is too unfocused? I don't think the game conveys necessary information well, like how close those huge robot dudes are to dying while at the same time having to fight their minions. A game as chaotic as this needs to relay clear, discernible information of my obstacles for me to get a handle on it and keep me fixated.

I can see why people like it: It has its own sense of humor with some creative game mechanics offered through the gamepad. It's a unique game that'll be an asset to the Wii U.

Gsnap

Been playing mission mode a few times over. The game gets better every time I play it. And I guess I get better too (taking down the final two giant robots at the exact same time is very satisfying). Can't wait to see the final product. You can see how deep the game can get just from the demo.

hatchx

Banned
Just wanted to come and here and post about how awesome this game is. I can't stop thinking about playing the demo. It's transient and beauiful and refreshing, it has GOTY contender written all over it.

I'm terrible at action games, and when the controls clicked on my second play through (and I stopped using the touch screen and went analog only) I saw the light.

Everyone here with issues, put your gamer hat on and figure it out. This is not a game you want to miss!

Can't wait to get home and try demo again!

Just a heads up, you can't use a multi-morph assist if all the users of that morph are already in a unite. This becomes troublesome when you try to do a Gun Assist, Whip Assist, or Hammer Assist and Wonder Green (although there are some civilians with gun), Wonder Pink, or Wonder Yellow is part of the weapon you are using.

It's an interesting meta-detail that proves you want to have multiples of each power.

An annoying thing I've run into is that you can't change your main morph into another morph if you don't have enough extra people. It can't use the heroes currently in your main morph as ammo for the new one so if your current morph is really big you have to cancel before a switch.

Its not really explained properly but your recruits are a resource. The more you use in a morph =The more damage you can dish out in an single attack = the less flexibility you have to combo and style. I haven't tested it, but I have a feeling the bigger your morph, the faster it dissipates as well.

You should only really use a huge morph as the final blow on a single enemy. Groups of 2 or more larger enemies are better served by smaller morphs, leaving room for a second morph to serve as back up while you are countering and dodging. Not only that, but the small the morphs, the more you can have on screen.

For the smallest grunts, stick to the light attacks. If you stun them enough, you can recruit them to your team, giving you more resources. If you use heavier attacks, you will kill them outright. Not only that but light attacks are the best to use after a dashing session to wake up fallen recruits.

I think later in the game, careful resource management will be a big part of the metagame.

Regiruler

Its not really explained properly but your recruits are a resource. The more you use in a morph =The more damage you can dish out in an single attack = the less flexibility you have to combo and style. I haven't tested it, but I have a feeling the bigger your morph, the faster it dissipates as well.

You should only really use a huge morph as the final blow on a single enemy. Groups of 2 or more larger enemies are better served by smaller morphs, leaving room for a second morph to serve as back up while you are countering and dodging. Not only that, but the small the morphs, the more you can have on screen.

For the smallest grunts, stick to the light attacks. If you stun them enough, you can recruit them to your team, giving you more resources. If you use heavier attacks, you will kill them outright.

I think later in the game, careful resource management will be a big part of the metagame.
It's a valid gameplay mechanic, it's just mildly annoying at first.

The resource management makes me think we can call this game "Real Time Action" as a joke.

Exile20

Damn man, what the hell are you doing?

I didn't want to play the demo anymore until full release cause I thought I knew enough of the game's mechanics. Now I am going back to the demo to increase my combos. This game seems so deep.

I know everyone has their own opinion but I honestly don't know how you could not like the game after playing though the demo more that 1 time. At least by the third time you should see the brilliance in this game.

I just can't wait for September 15th. This game is all kinds of awesome.

Jrs3000

You are correct. Using a large morph only last maybe 5 seconds. It ill pulse before shrinking to a smaller form and freeing up heroes.

You are correct. Using a large morph only last maybe 5 seconds. It ill pulse before shrinking to a smaller form and freeing up heroes.

Makes sense. Risk/reward.

Another tip thats come to mind. Sometimes when drawing shapes with the R analog, you dont get it out right and your recruits are spread out with a black colour joining them. Rather than cancelling the formation, move around with the Left analogy, the formation stays in line and sometimes will turn to a rainbow colour with a twitch of the control stick.

This also applies when picking up fallen teammates. Rather than dash over to everyone, make a formation line and let them touch the fallen teammates to revive them.

hatchx

Banned
Makes sense. Risk/reward.

Another tip thats come to mind. Sometimes when drawing shapes with the R analog, you dont get it out right and your recruits are spread out with a black colour joining them. Rather than cancelling the formation, move around with the Left analogy, the formation stays in line and sometimes will turn to a rainbow colour with a twitch of the control stick.

Yup, you don't really need to draw a full circle to recruit either, like a 'U' shape often works.

Top Bottom