• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Demo on eShop [up in JP/EU, now up in NA]

Gbraga

Just Platinum'd the story segment, probably could get Pure Platinum.

Playing around with ThoughtsOfSpeaking idea of using assists in air combos and it works really well. Did a wonder rising twice, slashed a few times, dash canceled, slashed, drew a fist assist, dash canceled, and continued attacking. Killed them at the top of the screen! lol

And this game really is as mashy as you want it to be. If you sit down and really experiment with dash cancels and assists, you can pull off a lot of cool stuff. Air combos are super fun in this game.

Please make a video :(

The channels I subscribe still didn't upload anything, I guess most of them don't own a WiiU :/

Joqu

Damn man, what the hell are you doing?

I didn't want to play the demo anymore until full release cause I thought I knew enough of the game's mechanics. Now I am going back to the demo to increase my combos. This game seems so deep.

I know everyone has their own opinion but I honestly don't know how you could not like the game after playing though the demo more that 1 time. At least by the third time you should see the brilliance in this game.

I just can't wait for September 15th. This game is all kinds of awesome.

Sorry!

But yeah, I was surprised how much I missed when I watched that video. There's so much more to it! I love it when games are deep like that.

Oh Platinum Games. <3

The channels I subscribe still didn't upload anything, I guess most of them don't own a WiiU :/

Problem is this is not a game that lends itself well to the typical combo video format. Im sure there will be videos that explore advanced tech, but usage limits put a big dampener on that (thanks once again Nintendo)

I don't have any kind of capturing equipment (and as you may realise, im more a combat theory guy anyway) otherwise id try to show something. Ill see if I can record the gamepad with my DSLR when I have a day off or something.

DaBoss

Not sure if this has been posted before but this guy has made a video where he plays through the whole demo. He's pretty good and explains certain things so it might be worth watching if you're having trouble.

Link (He's a pretty great LPer too by the way.)

Thank you for posting this. It was irking me so much seeing people on YouTube who were only playing okay, but not good. This guy is playing it great. I'm so excited and envious to everyone who has a Wii U right now.

Gbraga

Problem is this is not a game that lends itself well to the typical combo video format. Im sure there will be videos that explore advanced tech, but usage limits but a big dampener on that (thanks once again Nintendo)

I don't have any kind of capturing equipment (and as you may realise, im more a combat theory guy anyway) otherwise id try to show something. Ill see if I can record the gamepad with my DSLR when I have a day off or something.

Wait are you telling me you have a limited number of times you can play the demo?

zroid

Banned
okay, will play through the demo again and maybe attempt the missions later this evening after dinner. it's gonna be way awesome-r. I really want to not suck!

I just got a Wii U today.

One of the first things I did (after doing the initial update of course) was watch the Nintendo Direct, then download this demo. This game is crazy. I have to say I got confused a few times on how to change weapons and whatnot, but overall that was a fun demo.

Oh, and after watching that Nintendo Direct, I believe the release date was burned into my brain, they repeated it so many times.

Effect

Usage limits? WTF!?!?!?!

Since when are you limited to the number of times you can play a demo?

Who created this BS?!?!?!?

Since demos started appearing on Nintendo hardware, starting with the 3DS. They want you to buy the game at some point not continuously play the demo. Demos can be unlimited if the publisher wishes though. The demo for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy on the 3DS is unlimited. While the Ace Combat 3DS game had a demo limit of 3 tries I think.

Also for those new to this deleting and redownloading the game doesn't restart your number of tries on a demo. It's linked to the hardware. You'd have to restore the hardware to its default setting in order get new demo limits I believe.

From a business stand point it makes sense. They want you to buy the game. Not simply be content with playing the demo over and over again to get your fix. That is why demos can be a negative.

Played it through once. Game looks AMAZING. I went from not knowing wtf I was doing, to kind of knowing a little wtf I was doing by the end. That's good enough for me. I'll pick it up again once I have the full game in my hands.

The hero screen looks really intimidating; hopefully the full game will explain how to sort that and set leaders.

From a business stand point it makes sense. They want you to buy the game. Not simply be content with playing the demo over and over again to get your fix. That is why demos can be a negative.

Im not going to go in this in detail again but this is total paranoia and fabrication. The amount of people who will continue playing a demo past a games release who otherwise would buy the game are laughably small.

its contempt on the behalf of Nintendo towards its customers. Nothing more or less.

zroid

Banned

Yeah, for better or worse, Nintendo has always thought of demos only in a completely practical sense. Most publishers/devs do it because it's what their consumers expect, but if you look at Nintendo's history with demos, that's definitely not why they do it.

They generally only make demos for games which they believe need to be "sold" to people. Fire Emblem Awakening, for example, is something they were making an extra effort to find new fans for. It worked. Usually for sequels with existing audiences, they think it's a waste of resources and may even make certain people less likely to buy their games, so they don't bother.

The same logic applies to the usage limits. Some people will be less likely to buy their game if they can play the demo an unlimited number of times. I don't think there's anyone who would be less likely to buy a game if they can only play a demo ~15 times. Not unless they're trying to send a message or something, but that's different.

Im not going to go in this in detail again but this is total paranoia and fabrication. The amount of people who will continue playing a demo past a games release who otherwise would buy the game are laughably small.

its contempt on the behalf of Nintendo towards its customers. Nothing more or less.

Sadly, I don't think Nintendo is too far off the mark. For hardcore gamers with resources, you're probably right, but for most casual players and children who have to beg their parents for games, an unlimited demo is an extremely appealing prospect. I have younger cousins who are STILL playing demos they downloaded years ago, having never bought the full games.

That's not to say I excuse this behaviour, as it's blatantly anti-consumer! But yeah, I think they are making a smart business decision.

hatchx

Banned

It's laughably small the amount of people who don't find 15-20 playthroughs of a demo enough.

It doesn't have to be just the people prior to release. I played the demo for Valkyrie Chronicles well after release only once and sold me on the game. However, my brothers and my sister used to play nothing but demos on my PS3. They would not shell out the cash to buy the games they liked. They were waiting for me to pay for their games. Unfortunately for them my taste in game is completely different from theirs. You'd be surprised at how common this is.

Exile20

Sorry dude, but you are blind with unrealistic rage.

Sadly, I don't think Nintendo is too far off the mark. For hardcore gamers with resources, you're probably right, but for most casual players and children who have to beg their parents for games, an unlimited demo is an extremely appealing prospect. I have younger cousins who are STILL playing demos they downloaded years ago, having never bought the full games.

I was a kid that used to just play demo disks as a kid because I couldn't afford games. But guess what? If a demo for a game didn't exist, I didn't play it anyway!

and the games that i never bought, but played their demos to death, guess which sequels I was in line to buy when i actually had money to buy games?

As a creator, you have to just accept that not everyone who touches your product will be a customer. But cultivating relationships with people who aren't giving money now, but are interested in what you offer, you have a leg up marketing your newer products in the future.

Nintendo's problem is they rely too much on their rabid fanbase that swallow any shit just to get the newest entries of their best franchises, but its this backwards attitude that is causing them to falter in the console space.

I am a new customer, buying my first Nintendo console in 13 years and almost at every turn I come across decisions that put me off this company. Rather than convert me to their evergreen franchises, they are increasingly making sure I never try them.

Bottom Line, I bought my console for one Platinum games title. Ive been convinced to try the other exclusive and will now be buying it. But nintendo can whistle if they think im going to become a customer investing into their platform. Way too much bullshit.

It's laughably small the amount of people who don't find 15-20 playthroughs of a demo enough.

Sorry dude, but you are blind with unrealistic rage.

Guys, while I am perfectly happy to refute every one of you, im not going to stink up this thread again. You think its ok, I as a non-nintendo fan think its absolute bullshit. Lets just leave it at that shall we?

It doesn't have to be just the people prior to release. I played the demo for Valkyrie Chronicles well after release only once and sold me on the game. However, my brothers and my sister used to play nothing but demos on my PS3. They would not shell out the cash to buy the games they liked. They were waiting for me to pay for their games. Unfortunately for them my taste in game is completely different from theirs. You'd be surprised at how common this is.

How old are they? If you are really trying to convince me on the basis of what children/ teenagers may do, you are missing my point. Ive already covered this in any case.

zroid

Banned
I was a kid that used to just play demo disks as a kid because I couldn't afford games. But guess what? If a demo for a game didn't exist, I didn't play it anyway!

and the games that i never bought, but played their demos to death, guess which sequels I was in line to buy when i actually had money to buy games?

--

Guys, while I am perfectly happy to refute every one of you, im not going to stink up this thread again. You think its ok, I as a non-nintendo fan think its absolute bullshit. Lets just leave it at that shall we?

That's a valid point. But with respect to usage limits, it's not quite the same thing as not having a demo, is it? Still, I acknowledge it as something Nintendo should probably consider more closely.

I agree that it's "bullshit" because putting in these limits does nothing but help their bottom line. There is zero advantage to their consumers. Of course I don't support that. I don't know what being a Nintendo fan or non-fan has to do with this, as we're all consumers of games in the end. But on the spectrum of how much unlimited demos help versus hinder game sales, it leans far to the latter end.

edit: anyways, you're right, this debate has occurred a million times before in other threads, so there's no need to have it again here, of all places! Regardless of whether it's good or bad move, let's just agree that it sucks! :p

I don't have proper recording equipment besides my phone, so I don't really think I could do it lol. This isn't really a good game for combo videos though. It's a TON of fun to play and the amount of options is awesome (definitely better than Rising in this regard), but it's just not meant for swag videos like DMC.

I'm thinking about doing a write up for some more advanced combat stuff but I don't know if it's really worth the effort.

edit: I've got nothing going on tonight, so I'll go ahead and do it. I'll post it in here once I'm done.

I don't know what being a Nintendo fan or non-fan has to do with this, as we're all consumers of games in the end.

Ill answer this at least.

The main reason I draw the comparison is im already a customer of competing platforms that do not have these limitations, platforms that Nintendo is at least on a basic level trying to win customers from.

I feel if you are a long-time Nintendo customer, and have invested significantly in their ecosystem, or rather lack of one, you are a might bit more accepting of such practices.

Gbraga

It is, but isn't that kind of the point? The people who would play a demo more than 20 times in the first place are the exact same people that will buy the game day one and crack it open, play it to its full potential.

I'm thinking about doing a write up for some more advanced combat stuff but I don't know if it's really worth the effort.

tumblr_lxuv0i7vFH1qaee3oo1_400.gif

It will be useful to some, if only as a guide of stuff to explore further.

Gbraga

I don't have proper recording equipment besides my phone, so I don't really think I could do it lol. This isn't really a good game for combo videos though. It's a TON of fun to play and the amount of options is awesome (definitely better than Rising in this regard), but it's just not meant for swag videos like DMC.

edit: I've got nothing going on tonight, so I'll go ahead and do it. I'll post it in here once I'm done.

Well, maybe not combo videos, but high level gameplay footage is also very enjoyable to watch. Vanquish doesn't exactly have combo videos, but watching high level Vanquish is fantastic.

Can't wait for your writeup. I'm considering a WiiU more and more, oh man. I only want Bayo 2, X and W101 :(

OH M YGOD

I'm really eager to see the rapport between Iwata and Kamiya.

People think Kamiya is this wild rockstar type and he is sort of but I am sure there will be that bond and utmost respect between the two because that's what happens in almost every Direct.

It is even multiplied because of Iwata's past making games.

Oh yeah, a lot of people said Kamiya was badass or had a lot of balls in "mocking" Iwata in the Direct.

I'd bet a lot that Iwata was part of how that went down, it's the silliness that is the essence of the Directs.

Jrs3000

Another fyi. We all know you can do multiple unite forms at a time but I don't think it's been mentioned you can do any combination like 4 hands or 2 swords 2 guns.

zroid

Banned
Platinum should have another experiment, selling those shirts from their website, as they did with those mugs a few months back. Harass JP!

Hypron

I'm right there with you. There are a couple of demos I played way more than 15 times (MGR:R, Crysis, DMoMM), and I bought all these games day 1 because of how good the demo were. Not being able to play a demo whenever I want to is just a major pain in the ass. No other manufacturer does that. It's just a really, really shitty practice. Pretty much every experience I've had with my wii-U since I bought it has been tinted by something really stupid (I haven't bought a single game yet - TW101 will be my first one- I'm just talking about the console's OS, marketplace and demos, as well as things like the shittastic wifi reception of the thing).

Frodo

I've got a feeling this is going to be my game of the year. I usually do not play demos more than once or twice, but I've played this one more than I can count.

Can't wait for the full game, and all the weapon and all the combos and possibilities. Wish 23rd would be here sooner.

Gbraga

I've got a feeling this is going to be my game of the year. I usually do not play demos more than once or twice, but I've played this one more than I can count.

Can't wait for the full game, and all the weapon and all the combos and possibilities. Wish 23rd would be here sooner.

Don't worry, Nintendo can count just fine. Soon you'll know how many times you've played the demo.

CrisKre

Yeah, for better or worse, Nintendo has always thought of demos only in a completely practical sense. Most publishers/devs do it because it's what their consumers expect, but if you look at Nintendo's history with demos, that's definitely not why they do it.

They generally only make demos for games which they believe need to be "sold" to people. Fire Emblem Awakening, for example, is something they were making an extra effort to find new fans for. It worked. Usually for sequels with existing audiences, they think it's a waste of resources and may even make certain people less likely to buy their games, so they don't bother.

The same logic applies to the usage limits. Some people will be less likely to buy their game if they can play the demo an unlimited number of times. I don't think there's anyone who would be less likely to buy a game if they can only play a demo ~15 times. Not unless they're trying to send a message or something, but that's different.

That's not to say I excuse this behaviour, as it's blatantly anti-consumer! But yeah, I think they are making a smart business decision.

I don't understand how its anti-consumer. Are we now entitled to free unlimited demos? As someone who wants developers to be rewarded for their work, im super ok with this and think is not only smart, it is also logical and ethical.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Here's the thing with the limited uses of demos: it discourages me from playing it, because I feel I want to conserve it for the future. It discourages me from trying a demo over and over again, and discourages me from getting hooked and buying the game.

Top Bottom