• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Demo on eShop [up in JP/EU, now up in NA]

ArynCrinn

Banned
Demo does have a pretty limited moveset though, it's no DMC3 demo in that regard, that's for sure.

I'm not sure it was ever supposed to have DMC3's types of movesets. But it's just a demo and all we get is three powers in the demo. The full game could very well be as deep as DMC3....in a weird way.

I don't think you have to worry about him. Just recruit the ones you just saved.

And yes, you can only boot the demo 20 times, unfortunately.

Nevermind, forgot you had to draw a circle to recruit.... I blame 3mg of Xanax.

_Clash_

I've been supporting this game through development.

But that aside, I really do want to call this the most fun filled, mechanically satisfying demo/gaming extract to come around in the last couple years.

Will take gamers by storm.

Could sell.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, it won't let me recruit anything and all the objective say's is "save all the citizens".

You can just skip him. Once you get the people you save by dropping the crane you can either proceed forward to the last encounter or backtrack back to the football field for hidden fight 9.

I didn't even notice anyone up there. I thought the "HELP" up top was just to get players attention to go up the building instead of through the fire.(like my little brother tried)

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just finished it, very satisfied! I've never played a game quite like it and even with the very limited powers they give you in the demo there's a astounding amount of depth to the scoring and combat. I'm pretty sure when the full game ships we'll have a ton of different power-up options and unite move sets.

Going to be a Day 1 for me!

luffeN

Not sure if this has been posted before but this guy has made a video where he plays through the whole demo. He's pretty good and explains certain things so it might be worth watching if you're having trouble.

Link (He's a pretty great LPer too by the way.)

Holy shit! You can actually picture in picture in this game? Great, gonna need to play it again with the Pro controller.

So glad they released a demo for this, I cannot believe how much I hated it. I've thought the game looked damn awesome since 1st shown, but I can't believe how much I did not enjoy playing it. So much crap going on and tiny little people being thrown about and being told to pull off lines and circles in the middle of battle.
Eurgh, really not for me at all. 1st chink in Platinums armor for me, even Anarchy Reigns was fun.

Yeah, you can hit select to toggle it, but it's not very responsive and the in warehouse view is at the gamepad resolution, and as you're turning you gotta switch back to the outside of the warehouse view. It's a mess. Weird blemish on an otherwise fantastic demo.
Really enjoyed the demo, but it feels like the frame rate drops from ~60 to ~30 for the rest of the demo at that warehouse point. Maybe the Wii U 30fps on screen and 30fps on gamepad combined? Or maybe a demo bug only? Hopefully they sorted that out for the final game (2 WEEKS!!) but I don't think I've actually played a locked 60fps Platinum game.

Alebelly

Love Platinum, been actively, vocally supporting them since Bayonetta. W101 is not for me, but I hope everyone buys it and WiiU sales surge consequently.

jwhit28

Not sure if this has been posted before but this guy has made a video where he plays through the whole demo. He's pretty good and explains certain things so it might be worth watching if you're having trouble.

Why can't regular gaming news outlets do such good previews?

Hypron

I somehow unlocked wonder blue's stinger during the secret fight right after you save the civilians by putting out the fire using the concrete slabs attached to a crane. It's pretty awesome, I wish you could unlock it a bit earlier, I didn't get much time to play with it. I'm not exactly sure how to unlock it either, last time I played through the demo I didn't unlock it. Maybe it's dependent on the amount of heroes in your team?

I wonder
sorry
what the crossover is between people who liked Okami and who like this. The flow of combat in terms of drawing on the screen feels really, really, similar, especially when you start unlocking more techniques in Okami, and if you're like me and abused the dodge move.

The game does look so awesome. It's so confusing but fun. Once you get a hang of the controls and especially the moves etc it really starts to shine. I really like the Pikmin-Viewtiful Joe vibe and the love this seemed to got while development. (like the hidden chars @ viewtiful, errm wonderful mission select hub).

Jezan

Just discovered that they have hidden figurines and files inside buildings.
just after the bridge if you form a line going up the buildings(one has a metro sign on it)
a w101 sign appears on the building you'll get hidden stuff.
i got a wonder t rex figure.

it's going to be a pain to collect them though, i've been going through the demo and making a line of heroes up every building......
there is no indication that something is hidden inside...
One figurine is just as you start the game in the building to the right (your right), do a wonder liner in front of the door.

I discovered it by accident, while checking out each button function.

Proven

One figurine is just as you start the game in the building to the right (your right), do a wonder liner in front of the door.

I'm pretty sure there's a second platinum coin in one of the houses or something during Mission 10. I wonder if all five are in the demo then.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I feel like I picked up the controls pretty quickly and I'm currently enjoying this a lot. Pretty imaginative gameplay, even though it feels like the demo is only scratching the surface, but I expected no less.

My only issues are:
- From a technical perspective, the framerate doesn't hold up as much as I was hoping
- From a gameplay perspective when I accumulated too many members trying to discern my team and enemy targets apart
- Finally, I was hoping to be able to pause the action when I'm arranging my team or picking up a leader. It's so easy to do during downtime, and I actually like the menu, but during action trying to do that in order to plan my multi-morphs can be an issue.

I haven't read the entire thread to see if I'm echoing other criticisms or not, but I'm sure there are others who're feeling the same. All in all, it looks like P* has hit yet another home run here with a few niggling issues here and there. I'm only hoping I can easily get used to it.

I haven't tried playing off-TV for long, so I'm wondering what other people think of it considering the sheer scope of the action.

JoeInky

I haven't tried playing off-TV for long, so I'm wondering what other people think of it considering the sheer scope of the action.

I've played through the story three times now, once with the gamepad using the TV, once with the pro controller and once using off-tv play.

They all work perfectly fine imo, maybe it might have been confusing if I jumped straight into playing the game on off-tv mode, but I could tell what was going on and what I was doing when I played it.

I think my favourite method is using the pro controller and just putting the game in the stand next to the TV.

I'd like to be able to move the HUD to the gamepad actually, I'd love to get a nice hudless image on my TV when I play with the pro controller, it would look great.

losername

Banned
Off-TV play for the demo results in everything being just a little too small for me. You can zoom with the right shoulder bumper though. I also don't really like losing the touch screen abilities. It would make so much sense to be able to actually draw on the screen as you play on it.

I'm actually having a lot of trouble splitting my team into separate union attacks. I'll draw a sword and then bring it out, then I'll draw the gun for example and hit X, but by the time I've done all that the enemy is giving me a beating.

Probably gonna play the demo once per day until UK launch in a few weeks. Should have a good grasp of the mechanics by then - my second attempt was already far better than the first.

SHarris78

Watched a friend playing this and thought it looked great, was really looking forward to trying it out for myself.

Unfortunately when playing it myself, i find the controls don't always work and the sheer amount of stuff happening makes it pretty difficult to see whats going on.

I'm sure my mate will pick this up so i may play a bit more on his before deciding whether to buy for myself.

there are lots and lots of hidden files in the demo, most on the side of buildings.
But there is no way i'm going through this game on the first run and making lines up every building to find them, as there is no indication that they are there. it will ruin the experience.

Torraz

Thanks!

Loved his blood in the sand LP...

Dr.Hadji

So glad they released a demo for this, I cannot believe how much I hated it. I've thought the game looked damn awesome since 1st shown, but I can't believe how much I did not enjoy playing it. So much crap going on and tiny little people being thrown about and being told to pull off lines and circles in the middle of battle.
Eurgh, really not for me at all. 1st chink in Platinums armor for me, even Anarchy Reigns was fun.

I wonder. To you guys complaining about the game having too much stuff on the screen, are you' familiar (or like) Pikmin at all (NOT saying they're the same type of game!)? I felt going from Pikmin3 to playing the W101 demo to be very natural when it came to managing and understanding the complex action scenes in W101.

JoeInky

Next Gen fish? You can wonder circle them.

Yeah I tried doing that the moment I saw them the first time, wanted to recruit them but only got space bits.

Also, during the last fight in story mode, if you extend your drawing to a bit past the operational border, you can recruit another hero hidden over there, wonder patisserie I think it was, she was a pastry chef I guess.

Surprised that the death animation for women heroes is the same, thought they'd change that or something for some stupid reason, though on the game over screen the pose is changed so they aren't in an as suggestive position lol.

pulsemyne

Watched a friend playing this and thought it looked great, was really looking forward to trying it out for myself.

Unfortunately when playing it myself, i find the controls don't always work and the sheer amount of stuff happening makes it pretty difficult to see whats going on.

I'm sure my mate will pick this up so i may play a bit more on his before deciding whether to buy for myself.

I am your try before you buy person.

SHarris78

I am your try before you buy person.

Yay, money saved !!!

I think it'll have to get considerably better if i'm going to buy it (not to mentioned my skills improving a heck of a lot, mpre play thoughs needed!). Plus GTAV is around the corner, i''ll probably wait for that and maybe buy this when it drops in price.

I wonder. To you guys complaining about the game having too much stuff on the screen, are you' familiar (or like) Pikmin at all (NOT saying they're the same type of game!)? I felt going from Pikmin3 to playing the W101 demo to be very natural when it came to managing and understanding the complex action scenes in W101.

I enjoy the Pikmin games okay, but W101 felt like a pure action game to me. In fact, 101 is what I wish Pikmin felt like from the beginning. And I was one of those people on the fence about 101 for a long time but the demo sold me (and I really didn't have any issues with all the on-screen stuff).

I didn' want to try the demo to avoid spoiling me, but finally I gave it a little look.

Nice overall, two only gripes:
- framerate all but steady, makes following frantic action quite difficult
- ultra gimmicky 'rotate stick to rotate knobs' : wtf?

Very viewtifuljoeish, but not sure if w101 is as much polished and tight gameplay wise.

edit: sound is ultralow in this demo?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
15 demo trys. WTF Nintendo. It's crap like this that's making me really regret buying a WiiU.

JoeInky

I enjoy the Pikmin games okay, but W101 felt like a pure action game to me. In fact, 101 is what I wish Pikmin felt like from the beginning. And I was one of those people on the fence about 101 for a long time but the demo sold me (and I really didn't have any issues with all the on-screen stuff).

What?

101 is a great game and all, but it and Pikmin are completely different games on a mechanical level and I think making it like 101 would negatively impact both games.

If you lose respect for someone's opinion if they swear, then you're going to miss out on a lot of things.

Or maybe you're just mad because he doesn't like the Game Pad? I can't tell.

I was drinking last night at a friends and I made a couple stupid comments on gaf...

Please understand.

Really, though, people can be unnecessarily vile, on a supposedly mature gaming forum. To the point where I'm not sure if I can take them serious. That's what I was getting at. That's where my original comment stemmed from.

Exile20

Yay, money saved !!!

I think it'll have to get considerably better if i'm going to buy it (not to mentioned my skills improving a heck of a lot, mpre play thoughs needed!). Plus GTAV is around the corner, i''ll probably wait for that and maybe buy this when it drops in price.

this is so disappointing. i wonder why they put it so close to gta and rayman. i am not buying gta cause four was such crap and buying this instead but alot of the casuals will probably pick up gta. why not august with europe noa?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It isn't crap it's necessary tool to get you to buy the game, rather than you know playing a demo for free.

Beside the game is out in 2 weeks.

I already know why they do it. It's still bullshit though.

Anyhoo. Back to the demo:-

Pros:-
It's bright and colourful and looks a lot of fun. Frame rate seems quite solid on my WiiU. The depth of field effect is done very well and gives it a lovely toyification effect.

Negative:-
The image quality could be better. They could have improved the AA and had better textures and some of the geometry looks a little low poly. There is nothing here visually that couldn't be done on PS360.

Eurgh, really not for me at all.
1st chink in Platinums armor for me, even Anarchy Reigns was fun.

This is a new type of game, where you have to LEARN how to play. We haven't really had to do this in a while. Most games now a days just cheat and use the same basic button configurations as games in the same genre.

If you give the game a REAL chance and learn the mechanics, I think you might start to see that Platinum is bringing new ways to entertain us.

Some people pick up things faster than others, but it's ok if it takes several tries before it clicks. All throughout this thread people have stated the same thing as you, but once they learned the flow of battle, after multiple play throughs (story and/or mission mode), they understood the appeal.

stick with it, watch a LP vid or read impressions and tips from others in this thread. GAF is here, so make the best out of it so you too can enjoy the fun.

Watching it now, thanks for posting this. Didn't know you could suck an enemy and shoot them with the gun. And there are so many stuff that I missed on my 2nd play through.

Edit: Oh man hidden recruits in the mission mode?! Holy hell!

haikira

While I've loved pretty much everything Platinum made, I really wasn't feeling the promotional material for this one. Glad to say I've loved the demo though. Played it a few times now and showed it to a few friends.

I think my one nitpick is, when fighting smaller enemies, it can be a little hard to keep track of what's happening.

This and Sonic Lost World coming out have perked me up about by WiiU. =D

Love it. Love it love it love it.

Took awhile to figure everything out but it's been way too long since I was thrown into a brand new experience with no tutorial. Last time I recall that type of experience was when I started playing Minecraft Infdev. Even though it was frustrating at first and everything felt too small, it was seriously refreshing learning it all myself.

Negative:-
The image quality could be better. They could have improved the AA and had better textures and some of the geometry looks a little low poly. There is nothing here visually that couldn't be done on PS360.

It's a demo...

and why is a comparison to another system a negative? It does what it needs to do and looks great for being Platinum's first game on the Wii-U

plus it's a demo...

I'm not saying it's going to magically improve, but there will be some slight things that will get enhanced because it's working off the FULL game/disc. Bayonetta, Vanquish, and MGR got slight bumps in quality versus their demos. But it was only noticeable for those who were very very very observant.

Nibel

15 demo trys. WTF Nintendo. It's crap like this that's making me really regret buying a WiiU.

Yeah, this sucks especially considering that you could play the MGR demo over and over again to dive deeper into the mechanics

That being said, I don't see myself playing a demo more than 5-10 times at maximum and the game is out in two weeks anyway. Plus most people play demos just once and make their buy decision then

Still, it's unnecessary from Nintendo

cyberheater

This is a new type of game, where you have to LEARN how to play. We haven't really had to do this in a while. Most games now a days just cheat and use the same basic button configurations as games in the same genre.

If you give the game a REAL chance and learn the mechanics, I think you might start to see that Platinum is bringing new ways to entertain us.

Some people pick up things faster than others, but it's ok if it takes several tries before it clicks. All throughout this thread people have stated the same thing as you, but once they learned the flow of battle, after multiple play throughs (story and/or mission mode), they understood the appeal.

stick with it, watch a LP vid or read impressions and tips from others in this thread. GAF is here, so make the best out of it so you too can enjoy the fun.

Maybe I'm off but the amount of quiet condescension on this post is amazing.

Frodo

I would strongly recommend newcomers to play on Easy the first time. Then move on to Normal difficulty after that. It will be the time you need to figure out what is going on on the screen. This Video is very helpful if you are still lost. Guy playing is good and got most of the things you can do on the demo covered.

I've been very satisfied with this game. Getting better ranks feels really rewarding. Launching an enemy into the air and having a few swords and guns attacking it at the same time in a frenzy feels so good.

Top Bottom