• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Demo on eShop [up in JP/EU, now up in NA]

zroid

Banned
Just finished it, very satisfied! I've never played a game quite like it and even with the very limited powers they give you in the demo there's a astounding amount of depth to the scoring and combat. I'm pretty sure when the full game ships we'll have a ton of different power-up options and unite move sets.

Going to be a Day 1 for me!

Yeah it's amazing how much you have to react to enemies and be really proactive about executing combos the right way. It's so satisfying when everything comes together perfectly. Kamiya knows how to execute an action game, this is undeniable now, considering how much of a departure this seems from his previous action games. He makes it work!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
one of the very few games I find myself wanting to replay over and over...and coming from someone who maybe has replayed three games in 27 years, i think it has huge potential on that part

Exile20

one of the very few games I find myself wanting to replay over and over...and coming from someone who maybe has replayed three games in 27 years, i think it has huge potential on that part

I cant believe i replayed mission and story mode in the demo so many times. damn this game is good, so much replayability. good job kamiya.

Ok, I played a bit just to grasp game mechanics and that's not so complicated after all.

One thing: it seems I can't get to gather all my heroes in the Sword form if I use the touch screen. I just don't have enough space on the touch screen to draw a long enough line. Am I missing something?

I'd rather use right stick for drawing, but I still have to practice a little for circles. I think at that point I could very well play with the Pro-Controller. What would I miss, eventually?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anyone tried multiplayer yet and how do you get it to work?

EDIT: Got it to work by attaching a classic controller to the Wiimote.

Riki

Ok, I played a bit just to grasp game mechanics and that's not so complicated after all.

One thing: it seems I can't get to gather all my heroes in the Sword form if I use the touch screen. I just don't have enough space on the touch screen to draw a long enough line. Am I missing something?

I'd rather use right stick for drawing, but I still have to practice a little for circles. I think at that point I could very well play with the Pro-Controller. What would I miss, eventually?
There is an A button on the touch screen. If you press it then draw you can make them a lot longer.

Frodo

I guess Ninty's strategy is working, then. TW101 is making people who don't normally buy Nintendo systems get a Wii U. :eek:

mind-blown-2.gif

Haines

Banned
I never understood the complaints about how many times you can play.

Its doesnt limit your playtime. Just reserve a couple hours or w/e you need before you turn the game off.

You can play the demo for 100 hrs if you wanted too.

People just complain to complain anymore.

gogojira

It's just one of those things where you'll never hit the cap but you're not sure why the cap is there in the first place.

Also, the second play has almost converted me. I think I'm back in.

It's just one of those things where you'll never hit the cap but you're not sure why the cap is there in the first place.

Also, the second play has almost converted me. I think I'm back in.

Eh I've used like five of my twenty uses so far and I still plan on playing it more. If I keep playing it at this rate I'll probably use them up before release.

But enough talk about the demo limits, Nintendo has been using them for a while on their systems. Lets't talk about the game! I hope the final game has unlockable attack strings along with unique attacks and skills.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I never understood the complaints about how many times you can play.

Then try to understand this. You don't have this issue on the Xbox 360 or the PS3. It's a shitty thing to do for your customers. And for me. It has the opposite effect which makes me not want to buy from a company that thinks it's a good idea to try and milk me for money by have a demo try limit.

zoukka

Then try to understand this. You don't have this issue on the Xbox 360 or the PS3. It's a shitty thing to do for your customers. And for me. It has the opposite effect which makes me not want to buy from a company that thinks it's a good idea to try and milk me for money by have a demo try limit.

"Milk" money from you? :D What the fuck. They go out and make a demo (which is always EXTRA effort from developers side) and you feel ripped off. Fucking entitled gamers.

69wpm

So, Keza from IGN apparently has some problems with the drawings. Either she speaks the truth or she can't draw simple shapes.

Via Twitter:

Claw's kinda Z shaped as opposed to wavy. I find it all works like 75% of the time - not quite good enough for precise combos

I read that people have problems with the whip and hammer, and I was thinking: Why? The shapes are nothing alike. The same goes for the whip and the claws, s-shape and N-shape. Now, I talked to some guy who got a review copy and he said he never had problems with the game registering the right shapes. I hope she doesn't shit all over the game because she can't draw basic shapes.

Exile20

should i laugh or actually reply with a proper response?

Anyway, i am pure platinuming stage. oh so good. Kamiya wasnt wrong about the replay value.

Exile20

So, Keza from IGN apparently has some problems with the drawings. Either she speaks the truth or she can't draw simple shapes.

Via Twitter:

I read that people have problems with the whip and hammer, and I was thinking: Why? The shapes are nothing alike. The same goes for the whip and the claws, s-shape and N-shape. Now, I talked to some guy who got a review copy and he said he never had problems with the game registering the right shapes. I hope she doesn't shit all over the game because she can't draw basic shapes.

i have used the sword whip punch hammer and gun. no issues at all. she was having issues when whe first had the game before the demo. i played it and no problems at all. sorry to say but she is the issue and she will shit on the game.

Via Twitter:

I said earlier that I could easily see White's shape being mistaken for Pink. I've had Yellow's shape register as Pink a few times too. I think I'm pretty comfortable drawing shapes mid-combo, so there's some truth to this. Red, Blue, Green, and Pink are easy to mash out, but the others are a little more complex and have more room for error.

RPur9ev.gif

Nibel

Okay, and Microsoft and Sony don't want to milk you for money? What the hell man, you've lost me with this post :lol

Sounds like you want to milk money from them instead.

Dicer

Banned

...I ummmmmm yeah.

zroid

Banned

when you're thinking of boycotting a video game for this reason, it's a sign you might take video games a bit too seriously

Shahadan

Personally I felt bad the first time I saw demo limits on 3DS, but then remembered all the game demos on PS1 I played the shit out of and never actually proceeded to buy the games afterwards.
Save fore a few exceptions, of course.

I've played the demo for hours and have only used up two uses. It's one of those things that bothers me on principle but in practice I've yet to hit the limit on anything.

Haines

Banned
when you're thinking of boycotting a video game for this reason, it's a sign you might take video games a bit too seriously

welcometoneogaf.gif

"oh hey a cool demo"
"lemme get some enjoyment out of this awesome new game.....WAIT. ONLY 20 TRIES!"

"awww hell no!, i wont be part of your plan Nintendo! You will never get meeeeeeee!"

Gbraga

I thought it limited the amount of times you played through it, not just boot times. It's still shit, but way less shit.

BlackJace

The only time I've felt miffed about the limit was with the PXZ A Demo. I think the limit is unnecessary and adds no real positive, but I'm not boycotting a fuckin free demo lol.

Riki

The only time I've felt miffed about the limit was with the PXZ A Demo. I think the limit is unnecessary and adds no real positive, but I'm not boycotting a fuckin free demo lol.

The only time the demo limit has really ever been absurd was with Ace Combat Legacy where it was 3 uses.
And even then, I still bought and loved the hell out of that game.

DaBoss

ITT people who haven't downloaded any demo on a Nintendo system during the last two years.

Well on the 3DS demo usage isn't really a problem considering one can just put it to sleep mode. I imagine many people don't want to leave their Wii U on over night or something.

You can play the demo all daylong and only use up 1 play use. While I personally feel the limit is unnecessary, I don't think it's a big deal in the slightest.

But that's just me.

TDLink

A friend brought over his Wii U yesterday and we played this for 7 and a half hours. Holy shit this game is amazing. Probably one of the best demos I have played too.

I really need to find a deal on a Wii U somewhere.

Only one question, how do you fireball from the Hand? We still can't figure it out.

Shahadan

BTW, sorry I know it was answered already mutliple times, but where are the secret missions? I remember reading something about a pipe but that lead me nowhere.

BTW, sorry I know it was answered already mutliple times, but where are the secret missions? I remember reading something about a pipe but that lead me nowhere.

First one is after the scene where you jump back onto the otherside of the bridge that gets broken up. Jump over the ledge, and go up to the green pipe on the side of the wall and hit "Y"(?). Whichever button it prompts you to hit. Seems to be an mario reference, as the pipe is green.

The other one is after you're done shielding your group with that big shield from the falling semis. Go back to the football field over to the right, and the secret mission will start up.

Shahadan

First one is after the scene where you jump back onto the otherside of the bridge that gets broken up. Jump over the ledge, and go up to the green pipe on the side of the wall and hit "Y"? Whichever button it prompts you to hit.

The other one is after you're done shielding your group with that big shield of the falling trucks, go back to the football field over to the right, and the secret mission will start up.

Ok thank you, will try :)
I didn't know it was "go back" material.

A friend brought over his Wii U yesterday and we played this for 7 and a half hours. Holy shit this game is amazing. Probably one of the best demos I have played too.

I really need to find a deal on a Wii U somewhere.

Only one question, how do you fireball from the Hand? We still can't figure it out.

Either stick your Wonder Fist in fire, or use it to block a fire attack. You can then shoot fireballs for a while after.

giapel

Serious question to all: if you have so many games to play, and such a huge backlog etc, why would you want to play a demo more than once or twice? Never understood this. Actually, I don't think I've ever played a demo more than once.

TDLink

Either stick your Wonder Fist in fire, or use it to block a fire attack. You can then shoot fireballs for a while after.

Thanks!

Serious question to all: if you have so many games to play, and such a huge backlog etc, why would you want to play a demo more than once or twice? Never understood this. Actually, I don't think I've ever played a demo more than once.

Because this game is that fun and is all about replayability. The demo has quite a bit of content for a demo, so there is a lot to better yourself/experiment with.

Honestly I have played this demo more than any other full game in the last few months. It isn't all about quantity of games, it's about what you get the most enjoyment out of.

ROFL @ buying a game being milking. If you think that, then you're proving them right.

I can't believe there are this many people with such horrible decision making skills that they can't figure out if they like something or not in 20 tries. We need a neurologist in this thread.

First time I played the demo I wasn't crazy about it. I just finished my second play through and everything clicked! Its fantastic. I still don't know how I feel about the art style, but I have a feeling I won't care while playing.

Depends on the game for me. Usually I won't but theres a lot to play around with and learn in this one so it's definitely worth playing multiple times.

Why do people keep saying this is out in 2 weeks? Is there some inter-dimensional time warp where everyone else is living on September 1st and I'm stuck back here on August 11?

ROFL @ buying a game being milking. If you think that, then you're proving them right.

I can't believe there are this many people with such horrible decision making skills that they can't figure out if they like something or not in 20 tries. We need a neurologist in this thread.

Not even 20 tries, 20 times booting the demo.

Why do people keep saying this is out in 2 weeks? Is there some inter-dimensional time warp where everyone else is living on September 1st and I'm stuck back here on August 11?

The rest of the World...

Top Bottom