• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Japanese Website Opens (New Footage/Artwork/Details)

thefro

QuCr03N.jpg

From the Wii U UK FB page

This young member of the Wonderful 100, otherwise known as Jean-Sébastien Renault, has a devastating Unite Morph ability in his precious firearm, which uses the heroes as ammunition to pepper the GEATHJERK!

I think you're generally mistaken about what your average game critic is looking for in the games he/she reviews. I can guarantee that regardless of Wonderful 101's quality, there is no way it will average over 90% on Metacritic. In fact, because of the lackluster performance of the Wii U so far, and the fact that Sony and Microsoft consoles launch this Fall, I think you'll have a hard time finding Wii U games that score over 90% in general. There is going to be a Nintendo tax that gets taken out of lots of these score because lol, Nintendo.

i agree to this notion. I have never thought there is platform bias amongst gaming journos pre-2006 but the behaviour of the gaming journos in the last 6 or 7 years just have been to one sided to be taking them serious.

i really miss the old days where there was still an illusion of objectivity

Gambit

I demand a German member!

It's a Japanese game, for God's sake. We got Volksgasmaske, Wolfgang Krauser, Ehrgeiz...

There's gotta be something German! Please, Platinum, please!

TDLink

His name is Jean-Sébastien Renaud. He's French alright.

True, but I mean. There could be a logical explanation for German influences (if he has any).

It's a Japanese game, for God's sake. We got Volksgasmaske, Wolfgang Krauser, Ehrgeiz...

I could see Wonder Yellow end up being a Schwarzenegger-esque character from Germany or Austria just looking at his appearance.

Neff

i agree to this notion. I have never thought there is platform bias amongst gaming journos pre-2006 but the behaviour of the gaming journos in the last 6 or 7 years just have been to one sided to be taking them serious.

i really miss the old days where there was still an illusion of objectivity

There is definitely a tendency among today's games journalists of viewing the industry as their own private plaything, to be influenced in a direction to their liking. It's a consequence of it becoming so very huge without a common, universal yardstick of critique and the vast breadth of internet coverage. People can have a platform and say whatever they want without ever having to account for it. It was much harder to do this back in the 16bit or even 32bit era.

Good gaming journalism does still very much exist though. You just have to recognise it.

So true. Expect reviewers taking at least 0.5 points because the game does not have online. Because, you know.... Every game should have online.

I expect most of reviews to praise the game overall, but in the last paragraph or so conclude that the lack of online brings re-playability down and it wont be enough to save Nintendo, so here is an 8.0 for you.

No thats not the reason. Its more like this game could have really benefited form having online. It has local play so whats stopping it from having an online mode of the same nature or one where you have specific boss battles with 3 other people online. There is untapped potential and could easily lengthen the experience.

Also this stigma that reviewers will deduct points because its a Nintendo is frankly stupid and one you only see from Nintendo fans. Funny that. Nevertheless I have never been one to decide my purchase on a game by reviews. Yes a game may suddenly come onto my radar of it gets amazing reviews and the opposite but I never blindly go into a game after seeing the reviews.

Frodo

No thats not the reason. Its more like this game could have really benefited form having online. It has local play so whats stopping it from having an online mode of the same nature or one where you have specific boss battles with 3 other people online. There is untapped potential and could easily lengthen the experience.

Also this stigma that reviewers will deduct points because its a Nintendo is frankly stupid and one you only see from Nintendo fans. Funny that. Nevertheless I have never been one to decide my purchase on a game by reviews. Yes a game may suddenly come onto my radar of it gets amazing reviews and the opposite but I never blindly go into a game after seeing the reviews.

In both cases, it is like reviewing a movie and taking a star off of the movie because there is no explosions on a particular film. "I thoroughly enjoyed Pretty Woman, but the lack of explosions and car crashes brings the experience down somewhat and makes you think of how much better this movie could have been with some explosions here and there".

When the developers are creating a game or a director is creating a film it is unfair to judge those pieces of media based on what you expect or think they should have, even if you think this particular thing missing would add artistic value to the creation. Both games and movie should be judged by what they propose to do, and not by the things you think they should have done.

Madouu

No worries, I got my Moroccan member, no way there's no German one.

Hard to tell what's going on unless I see footage of someone using the controller. I could see a lot of people writing this off initially. It's one of those games you have to try for yourself to get a good gauge.

In both cases, it is like reviewing a movie and taking a star off of the movie because there is no explosions on a particular film. "I thoroughly enjoyed Pretty Woman, but the lack of explosions and car crashes brings the experience down somewhat and makes you think of how much better this movie could have been with some explosions here and there".

When the developers are creating a game or a director is creating a film it is unfair to judge those pieces of media based on what you expect or think they should have, even if you think this particular thing missing would add artistic value to the creation. Both games and movie should be judged by what they propose to do, and not by the things you think they should have done.

That was a horrible analogy. When you have a potentially short single player game, adding MP will increase its length therefore its length is no longer an issue. There's a reason typical short games have MP and longer games rarely need them.

They have MP on the local. So why in gods name did they not have that online? Its not like they would have to create an entirely new MP mode (which would be even better)?

I'm sure one of things reviewers would dock points for is the game's short length due to a lack of MP not because there is no MP.

Ask kamiya on twitter lol. To be real though platinum has missed online oppurtunity before with vanquish. Probably would have been good co-op but that doesnt detract from the game at all if you have played it.

Litri

Nintendo should really start putting demos for upcoming releases on the eShop.

I need to try this game before buying it!!!

wsippel

Banned
That was a horrible analogy. When you have a potentially short single player game, adding MP will increase its length therefore its length is no longer an issue. There's a reason typical short games have MP and longer games rarely need them.

They have MP on the local. So why in gods name did they not have that online? Its not like they would have to create an entirely new MP mode (which would be even better)?

I'm sure one of things reviewers would dock points for is the game's short length due to a lack of MP not because there is no MP.
If I had to guess, I'd say the amount of characters they need to track was too much.

monome

may a good soul wonderize my avatar?

got the game for 40€ on amazon.fr ;-)

might double dip with the digital version if I come around buying a HDD for my white WiiU.

wsippel

Banned

Looking at the world map, I'm not sure Germany even exists in this game anymore. There seems to be a crater in central Europe where Denmark, Norway and most of Germany would be as far as I can tell.

thefro

Dang, Kamiya really outdid himself with Wonder Pink judging from the new video on the characters section of the Japanese site.
She can swing over gaps Indiana Jones-style with her whip. Flips out Franziska Von Karma-style with her whip on Wonder Green. Also seems to be a vampire from Transylvania.

And does it say on the Japanese blog that Wonder Green's gun is named "Christine Daaé"?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Dang, Kamiya really outdid himself with Wonder Pink judging from the new video on the characters section of the Japanese site.
She can swing over gaps Indiana Jones-style with her whip. Flips out Franziska Von Karma-style with her whip on Wonder Green. Also seems to be a vampire from Transylvania.
She is amazing.

<3

If I had to guess, I'd say the amount of characters they need to track was too much.

Thats hardly an excuse when games like resistance 2 had 64 players fight it out. Furthermore, when I played this game regardless of how long your drawing is (for instance the sword which uses a line) the sword is still the same size. So they could reduce the number of heroes visually but still have the same mechanics right?

wsippel

Banned
Thats hardly an excuse when games like resistance 2 had 64 players fight it out. Furthermore, when I played this game regardless of how long your drawing is (for instance the sword which uses a line) the sword is still the same size. So they could reduce the number of heroes visually but still have the same mechanics right?
No, because A) the large amount of characters is part of the games identity, and B) stealing other players heroes is part of the game. And that would be pretty broken with a heavily reduced number of heroes.

Also, stop comparing twitch precision action games to shooters. Shooters are much easier to write netcode for (same thing with racing games) because they don't need to sync everything every frame.

Frodo

The thing is, there IS multiplayer and it is off-line. Who knows the reason why they left online out? I'm just saying that it is STUPID to want every game to have online nowadays and deducting points because of that, even if it would theoretically make the game longer. Even though the game we are talking about here is probably designed around replayability of the main campaign itself.

There are more more things to consider, like server structure and deadlines when deciding if the game should have an online multiplayer or not. It is no just swinging a wand around and saying some magic words and... DONE! Online for you. Will last only until midnight, though.

And... as far as I can see I would watch Pretty Woman again if it had more explosions, or if Julia Roberts would steal a car and run away from the police causing loads of subsequent car crashes and making Los Angeles transit a chaos. She could even somehow end up making her car crash against a helicopter while jumping out of the car in the last minute. I would watch the movie a 100 times only to see that over and over again. But because it doesn't I won't watch it again. If feels lazy that the writers left such important scenes of classic American cinema out of this movie when they already had all the cameras and the actors and stuff in place to shot those scenes. It is like they weren't even trying. I'll give it 3.5 out of 5 stars because of that.

I think overall game reviewers need to grow up.

Goodness, those new character videos and art of the Gearthjerks are awesome!!

I've heard whisperings of the Direct being on the 7th, too. Exciting!!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Goodness, those new character videos and art of the Gearthjerks are awesome!!

I've heard whisperings of the Direct being on the 7th, too. Exciting!!

Who whispered? Just in case for knowing who's going to be killed by Nintendo's Yakuza in the next hours.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sources tell me Nintendo will be conducting a Pikmin 3 Direct on August 7th.

Top Bottom