• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 love thread

I'd be up for a "BUY W101" miiverse campaign. Honestly, I'd be much more enthusiastic about that than ending region lock.

I'm up for making a few posts throughout Miiverse whenever I have a few moments while I'm playing on Wii U. I bet a good movement by even a small number of people could spread out until a lot of people are talking about it. Hopefully they also open up a W101 community on Miiverse ahead of launch so it can get filled with praise and pushed to the plaza!

Hiltz

Just saw this thing for the first time and it looks interesting. Am I right in thinking it's a mix of Pikmin and Viewtiful Joe?

There's some obvious similarities of those franchises being compared to The Wonderful 101, but in terms of how the game plays , it is really nothing like Pikmin or Viewtiful Joe. Just don't tell Kamiya and Platinum Games that Wonderful 101 is like those other games. Every time people have told them that, they've appeared reasonably frustrated by such comments.

There's some obvious similarities of those franchises being compared to The Wonderful 101, but in terms of how the game plays , it is really nothing like Pikmin or Viewtiful Joe. Just don't tell Kamiya and Platinum Games that Wonderful 101 is like those other games. Every time people have told them that, they've appeared reasonably frustrated by such comments.

It plays like bayonetta meets Pikmin, at least that's what I got from it for the few hours I got with it.

Just saw this thing for the first time and it looks interesting. Am I right in thinking it's a mix of Pikmin and Viewtiful Joe?
On a superficial level it resembles a Pikmin inspired Viewtiful Joe (or vice versa if you prefer) but it has more in common with their other action games. Think of it as a team based, isometric, Bayonetta.

Inaba has your answer at the 1:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCZj7OKiyG4
On a superficial level it resembles a Pikmin inspired Viewtiful Joe (or vice versa if you prefer) but it has more in common with their other action games. Think of it as a team based, isometric, Bayonetta.
Oh, thanks guys! Pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to more info on this one. Looks delicious.

Tenki

Today I've playing it, both the single player an the multiplayer. Now I want it even more. Seriously, I had a blast with my mates :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The week this comes out is going to be a great week. This and GTA V. So goooood. Glad I have both pre-ordered.

Tenki

Pretty sure he's confused because that sounds like you've been playing W101. It's not out so either you've got it for reviewing purposes or there's an event?

Oh, from a Nintendo event here in Europe. I've played TW101 and most of the upcoming Wii U and 3DS games.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Today I've playing it, both the single player an the multiplayer. Now I want it even more. Seriously, I had a blast with my mates :D

Isn't the multiplayer fucking great? Five-player frantic action with complete precision at all times. We were in heaven at E3. This is a true Kamiya title through and through.

Tenki

Isn't the multiplayer fucking great? Five-player frantic action with complete precision at all times. We were in heaven at E3. This is a true Kamiya title through and through.

It is :D I played the game last year in a similar event and today I went quite hyped, and it didn't disappoint.

That's pikmin. W101 is next month.

kamiya-250x250.jpg

Hoodbury

Wow, lucky you. I just hope it doesn't feel repetitive or anything. It looks great.

That's my biggest fear too and what is holding me back from pre-ordering. It looks insanely fun, but for like 3-4 hours. After that, I'm struggling to see how it won't be incredibly repetitive.

Frodo

That's my biggest fear too and what is holding me back from pre-ordering. It looks insanely fun, but for like 3-4 hours. After that, I'm struggling to see how it won't be incredibly repetitive.

Probably the combat system will have enough variety to keep you entertained until the end of the game and then for more a few replays, if any of their previous games is anything to go by...

Picking up new characters will add new movesets and make it more interesting. Also co-op will add a lot of value to the game as a whole.

You purchase different powerups between missions, so the gameplay will be different with each play through. The combat looks varied and deep, to me.

I bet theres a lot theyve held back from showing. Unique gamepad ideas, and different ways of using the civilians to progress through the levels.

Kamiya mentioned a 20hr play through. Even if its 10 hours, theres still much more to be seen.

Im sure we'll see the big picture once the ndirect is shown.

It's fuckin' Kamiya, that's how.

Dude made three Okami games and put them on one disc because he figured, what the shit, give people a fuckton of content and just let them do whatever.

maeda

Why are people so sure this game will bomb? It seems like the game would be right up the Nintendo's fan alley. Viewtiful Joe sold respectably on the super niche GameCube and warranted 2 sequels and a spin off, and W 101 seems to be very close in aesthetics to VJ.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it was meant to be the Rare that hasn't made many good games this gen.Just meaning this gen's version of the company when it did make good stuff.

I know what he meant

Will show my love with a buy.

Breath of fresh air! 60fps, action, multiple heroes, innovative, uses gamepad, co-op, long game.

What else do you want? Sold!!

20 hours long? WHA? Didn't Kamiya himself say it would be a short game?

"If u hate to finish a game the next day u buy it, u better not play TW101," he wrote. "I focus on how it is fun, not how long it lasts till the ending."

Hes probably speaking about the story mode and the wonderful(multiplayer) missions combined.

Not sure...

"In The case of Wonderful 101, we really try to pack a lot of different ideas into it, and it got a lot bigger than I thought. And in fact we estimate that a normal play session would be 20 hours. Personally I think that I kept piling stuff on and I realized “Wow, this is going to be a pretty big game.” But that notwithstanding, replayability is a really important factor, it has to be sort of easy to play in the sense that you don’t get tired of playing it, and you would be able to ultimately play it in a day."

Usobuko

Banned
Why are people so sure this game will bomb? It seems like the game would be right up the Nintendo's fan alley. Viewtiful Joe sold respectably on the super niche GameCube and warranted 2 sequels and a spin off, and W 101 seems to be very close in aesthetics to VJ.

The indicators just ain't there. It's not in a genre that Nintendo fans ( I used this term loosely ) are familiar with. Neither does it draws attention in forums or respective youtube videos compared to other Nintendo franchises.

I guess the most important factor is the budget, it's 1.5 times more than Bayonetta and that sold 1.35 million world wide by March 31, 2010. It's important to note SEGA is still reluctant to green light a sequel. Looking at Wii U sales and the attach rate this needs, bomba looks guaranteed. The only question is to what extent.

Either way, day one for me.

KrawlMan

When Viewtiful Joe released, the Gamecube was in a significantly better position than the Wii U is right now. We aren't even one year out from the Wii U's launch, and the system has almost zero market presence.

Penguin

I feel like this would be a slightly better promotion if included a mini-intro video for each character

Could even chop up that last trailer

Hoodbury

It's fuckin' Kamiya, that's how.

Dude made three Okami games and put them on one disc because he figured, what the shit, give people a fuckton of content and just let them do whatever.

This will probably shock you, but I've never played a Kamiya game as far as I know. So I keep hearing you guys say his games have great replayability because it's a Kamiya game, but I don't really understand what that means.

I'm willing to give this one a shot to find out though, but I"m still not 100% sold yet.

Top Bottom