• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 love thread

CrisKre

I thought id post my comic-con nintendo lounge impressions on the game here:
played the wonderful 101 pretty extensively. Multiplayer is a blast with 5 people. You join forces to fight monsters in missions, and have a wide arange of special moves to use that can be activated by drawing shapes with the right stick or drawing on the ganepad. There are also a ton of weapon items. Single player is fantastic as well. Pure Kamiya-Platinum. You buy moves from a store with points you collect. The game has heavy set pieces throughout the levels, that made me feel like I was pkaying "Pacific Rim: the cartoon" with giant robots and crazy action-destruction. There are tons of secrets too, like a water slide you activate only inserting the sword power on a hard to see switch to get the water flowing and other power based secrets. One thing I will say is that the game seems hard to master. I played about 4 times, sucking at first and getting progressively better as I went along and I figured out east to do. At first using powers seemed to make my character too slow for evasion, until I figured you could still run with y while losing formation, and pressing a again would still regain formation without having to draw your power again, for example.

Also, they where giving away hero masks. Got one for my gaming swag collection and it looks awesome. :D

hatchx

Banned
I thought id post my comic-con nintendo lounge impressions on the game here:
played the wonderful 101 pretty extensively. Multiplayer is a blast with 5 people. You join forces to fight monsters in missions, and have a wide arange of special moves to use that can be activated by drawing shapes with the right stick or drawing on the ganepad. There are also a ton of weapon items. Single player is fantastic as well. Pure Kamiya-Platinum. You buy moves from a store with points you collect. The game has heavy set pieces throughout the levels, that made me feel like I was pkaying "Pacific Rim: the cartoon" with giant robots and crazy action-destruction. There are tons of secrets too, like a water slide you activate only inserting the sword power on a hard to see switch to get the water flowing and other power based secrets. One thing I will say is that the game seems hard to master. I played about 4 times, sucking at first and getting progressively better as I went along and I figured out east to do. At first using powers seemed to make my character too slow for evasion, until I figured you could still run with y while losing formation, and pressing a again would still regain formation without having to draw your power again, for example.

Also, they where giving away hero masks. Got one for my gaming swag collection and it looks awesome. :D

Thanks for the impressions.

I still don't quite get how it plays.

Can you elaborate on multiplayer? Can you just play the campain in co-op or is it a separate mode? Do other plays use wii remotes or Pro controllers? Are you able to steal each others heroes?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What do the masks look like? I heard they were giving them out at SDCC, but never saw any pics.

CrisKre

Thanks for the impressions.

I still don't quite get how it plays.

Can you elaborate on multiplayer? Can you just play the campain in co-op or is it a separate mode? Do other plays use wii remotes or Pro controllers? Are you able to steal each others heroes?
Separate mode it seems. A lot more fun than I anticipated. It plays with gamepad or pro controller. As I said you are thrown in the middle of 3 minute rounds with swarms if enemies, and whomever gets the most points wins each round till you get to a boss after a few rounds. Just a lot of fun.

It's hard to convey how the game plays. Its essentially a Kamiya action game, where the power moves are a lot more elaborate in their execution and exchanging of said moves since you are required to draw each different power. It adds another dimension and skill to the fights. Add to that the fact that you power meter is directly influenced to how many heroes you recruit, and it becomes very complex. You can recruit either running with y over heroes or drawing as you move over citizenzs.

I will say though, the game plays fresh, energetic, addictive and satisfying.

Separate mode it seems. A lot more fun than I anticipated. It plays with gamepad or pro controller. As I said you are thrown in the middle of 3 minute rounds with swarms if enemies, and whomever gets the most points wins each round till you get to a boss after a few rounds. Just a lot of fun.

It's hard to convey how the game plays. Its essentially a Kamiya action game, where the power moves are a lot more elaborate in their execution and exchanging of said moves since you are required to draw each different power. It adds another dimension and skill to the fights. Add to that the fact that you power meter is directly influenced to how many heroes you recruit, and it becomes very complex. You can recruit either running with y over heroes or drawing as you move over citizenz.

I will say though, the game plays fresh, energetic, addictive and satisfying.

How does the multiplayer work with Wiimotes? How do other people draw shapes?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
No wii motes at the event. Pro controllers.

lkGSVV6.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The first game he directed was a sequel...

DMC and VJ both did pretty well relative to what they were as well

So I don't think that's the reason.

It's probably timing more than anything.

and it's probably a good thing for us as well. Imagine if Kamiya had become the "DMC Guy" instead of making VJ, or became the VJ guy instead of making Okami.

Or if he was making Bayo 2 right now instead of 101. We're having our cake and eating it because of the Kamiya curse right now.

Only because nobody buys his games. He doesn't have "no sequels" rule or anything.

The big problem is A) he likes making new IPs so if given the choice between a sequel and a new IP he would rather do the latter but is not against sequels on principle and B) If someone else has touched his series, he doesn't care to go back to it.

Any possibility of an Okami 2 died with Okamiden, for example.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The big problem is A) he likes making new IPs so if given the choice between a sequel and a new IP he would rather do the latter but is not against sequels on principle and B) If someone else has touched his series, he doesn't care to go back to it.

Any possibility of an Okami 2 died with Okamiden, for example.

Well we don't know if that's necessarily true as I don't think he's ever been extended the offer to work on those series again in the first place.

I remember reading that interview too but I also remember him answering on twitter that he'd still work on DMC again if Capcom asked. and that's way more of an unfixable mess from a narrative perspective than Okami after Okamiden.

I remember him saying that he didn't want to go back to DMC because it wasn't "his" anymore on more than one occasion. To be honest, I think he still feels that way, and that he only started saying he would be fine with going back to it because people asked about it a ton on Twitter.

xandaca

One thing I will say is that the game seems hard to master. I played about 4 times, sucking at first and getting progressively better as I went along and I figured out east to do. At first using powers seemed to make my character too slow for evasion, until I figured you could still run with y while losing formation, and pressing a again would still regain formation without having to draw your power again, for example.

That's fairly close to my impressions playing the game at Eurogamer last September. At first it's a challenge getting your head around the many permutations of the controls, but once you've mastered it, the game becomes enormously satisfying. I know many sites are saying the touchscreen is unresponsive, but I never had that problem. The only time I used the stick was one occasion when the screen wasn't long enough to draw the line I needed - hopefully that's been sorted out - to defeat a boss. Using the touchscreen was much more fun than using the stick anyway, if a little slower for obvious reasons. The build I played was pretty old, with no store to upgrade your moves from, but even in that early state it was utterly glorious in every respect. Would be hugely disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be my GOTY.

FUN STORY ABOUT DMC2

It started as another game, but was turning out to be such a mess that Capcom called in Hideaki Itsuno to come fix and it make it a Devil May Cry game while he's at it. This was all going on during the localization period for DMC1 where Kamiya, who had started another project by then, was brought DMC2 concept art from a confused underling who thought he was working on the game. Until then, he had never heard of the project.

NotLiquid

Only because nobody buys his games. He doesn't have "no sequels" rule or anything.

He once mentioned on Twitter that he had always wanted to make sequels to his games but never got the chance. In DMC's case Capcom never consulted him for it. In Viewtiful Joe's case he had to go to work on Clover's new game (Okami). In Okami's case it was cause the studio got shut down.

Scum

FUN STORY ABOUT DMC2

It started as another game, but was turning out to be such a mess that Capcom called in Hideaki Itsuno to come fix and it make it a Devil May Cry game while he's at it. This was all going on during the localization period for DMC1 where Kamiya, who had started another project by then, was brought DMC2 concept art from a confused underling who thought he was working on the game. Until then, he had never heard of the project.

:O

Top Bottom