• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

NeoRausch

Went to pick this up today, but none of my local stores got it in, so I've ordered it on Amazon. Was very tempted to get it on the digital store, especially since it's a surprisingly ok price. But i want to keep my collection consistent.

Anyone have any videos teaching some of the mechanics? I know it's fun to learn some of the stuff for yourself, but brushing up before going in to Metal Gear Rising didn't spoil any of my fun. =D
dunno if that's what your are looking for.... but kamiya:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/370801979343114240

edit:

that's maybe deeper than what you want.

play the demo to test out the main mechanics.

OK, im stupid!

in level 001-b (at the end):
what do I do against that giant turret while stand-in on the roof? shooting it with the pistol raises my combo meter nothing more.... and i caaaaaan't handle the bazooka for shit...

suck up the spiky balla with the gun morph and shoot it at the turret.

That bit took me far too long to get. Did the game say how to do that, and I missed it?

XDDX

That bit took me far too long to get. Did the game say how to do that, and I missed it?
Yep, the game tells you you have to do that on the bottom left of the screen where the tutorials show up, but it can can be turned off by holding L, so maybe that's what happened for you.

Finally able to get access to youtube and watch the source of those gifs I've been staring at all day.

Holy Shit Saur!
Should have put "The best" before "system breakdown".

Anybody still having control issues even with all the "tutorial vids out there"?
I'm in NA so I'm left to oogle at demos and threads.

And I'm talking about the gamepad/stick not being responsive.
A view of the reviewers (and cautious GAF members) made it seem like the controls work 70% of the time.

Just looking for any type of confirmation on whether it's the controls or if it's just players not adapting well enough, so I know what to expect on Day 30(Day 1 for NA)

forgive me if this has been asked before

Regiruler

Would anyone be willing to wonder-ize my new avatar if they have the time?
EDIT: On second thought don't, I'm not sure about my avi.

schlew

I asked before but didn't get a response, but my art is in the OP, and I think it's about time I Wonder-Eyes my avatar!

Are...people still doing this?

I'm so down for this game...I think I'll keep my Wonder-Eye'd avatar forever. You could help make this happen!

L Thammy

zrJr8pd.jpg

Regiruler

Now that I've settled on a new avatar, is there anyone willing to wonder-ize it? I apologize for any trouble I may have caused you.

Proven

Didn't notice this in any other playthroughs, but Alfheims are back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Qcv6HfHb1N4#t=1502

There's nobody, as far as I can tell. I've ran around everywhere and it's just me.

Does it matter my number is only 97 or something? :\

This was a really cool boss and it's taken the wind out of my sails completely. Such a shame.
After reading more responses to the thread, it honestly sounds like one of your guys got stuck by almost falling off and being unable to return. I would have tried cancelling the morph, doing something like Unite Spring to try and group everyone together, and tried again. Otherwise, it was a strange bug because you had 97 out of 100 when that stage gives out extra people in specific batches.

popyea

I asked before but didn't get a response, but my art is in the OP, and I think it's about time I Wonder-Eyes my avatar!

Are...people still doing this?

I'm so down for this game...I think I'll keep my Wonder-Eye'd avatar forever. You could help make this happen!

Here you go! Did it because you have an awesome avatar.
jgtdQ3nBIE7fO.png

wsippel

Banned
Might be a dumb Qs but has anyone figured out a way to get to the top of the building that's on fire? The one you need to make a bridge to cross to in level 1?
Wonder Red is immune to fire as long as his morph is active. All it takes is a carefully timed double jump.

The way you're constantly in action, under attack, or trying to defend something WHILE getting ravaged by hordes of foes, WHILE something or someone is about to crash somewhere... Each mission is like non-stop tension, and the game punishes you real hard if you're not focused.
Like , you think you're doing pretty good and then BAM! surprise, panic time, and then game over. I've had my share of that so far.
Also, I've had mostly no issues drawing shape (using mostly the joystick, which i funny because I thought from the demo that I would be using the touchscreen more), but when I did have issues, it was clear to me that this was when I was too tense, and lacked focus. I actually took the time to train myself to draw the shapes by repeating them over and over, until I saw clearly what defined the optimal shape for each morph.
There has been so far only one really frustrating moment for me on mission 003 I think (
that underground labyrinth with the Dough-kun and the poisonous gas, fuck you Kamiya
), but so far (8 hours in), this has been one hell of a roller coaster, and a truly awesome ride, and I can't wait to see more (of me getting my ass handed to me).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do the characters talk throughout each level?

The demo was strangely silent mostly, whereas all the trailers made it seem like it'd be like Kid Icarus where everyone's always talking...which is something I really enjoy, actually, if the game has good writing and voice acting, which this one seems like it'll nail.

Actually, is it me, or has Nintendo of all people really been on it when it comes to proper voice acting in their games? Fire Emblem was really good too. We've come a long way since the Mario Sunshine days, I'd actually like to see another talky Mario from Nintendo with mainstream voice actors.

Shahadan

Do the characters talk throughout each level?

The demo was strangely silent mostly, whereas all the trailers made it seem like it'd be like Kid Icarus where everyone's always talking...which is something I really enjoy, actually, if the game has good writing and voice acting, which this one seems like it'll nail.

Actually, is it me, or has Nintendo of all people really been on it when it comes to proper voice acting in their games? Fire Emblem was really good too. We've come a long way since the Mario Sunshine days, I'd actually like to see another talky Mario from Nintendo with mainstream voice actors.

I think Kamiya said on twitter he chose the voice actors, but maybe I don't recall correctly. It has Gideon Emery/Balthier voicing the colonel Nelson, so it's instant win for me.

Characters talk during some levels while you're still playing and it's sometimes annoying since it takes a lot of screen space.

Haven't noticed any dialogue happening during gameplay so far. I guess they choosed to expose the story through cutscenes mostly.

Shahadan >>> Ah, yes, could be. I guess I was a bit too focused to notice :p , but I see what you're refering to.

neo2046

:LOL: the lyric of theme song is written by Kamiya himself

http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/tw101/archives/1728
> For celebration of the game (JP ver) being released today, here is the present !
Theme song is available to download in MP3 format

[download link]
(* the file name is in Japanese, so you may need to use 7-zip to unzip the file)
http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/tw101/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tw101_themesong.zip

『 戦(たたか)え! ワンダフル・ワンダブルオー 』(Tatakae! Wonderful One Double O)
作詞: 神谷 英樹(プラチナゲームズ)
作曲: 山口 裕史(プラチナゲームズ)
歌: フォレスタ(公式サイト)

XDDX

The game is really starting to click after
Operation 3. Just got Wonder White too, he's so much fun to use and his ability really encourages the use of multi morphs.
So much fun.

TDLink

:LOL: the lyric of theme song is written by Kamiya himself

http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/tw101/archives/1728
> For celebration of the game (JP ver) being released today, here is the present !
Theme song is available to download in MP3 format

[download link]
(* the file name is in Japanese, so you may need to use 7-zip to unzip the file)
http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/tw101/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tw101_themesong.zip

『 戦(たたか)え! ワンダフル・ワンダブルオー 』(Tatakae! Wonderful One Double O)
作詞: 神谷 英樹(プラチナゲームズ)
作曲: 山口 裕史(プラチナゲームズ)
歌: フォレスタ(公式サイト)

I love this so damn much. Just need the English version now too.

Torraz

I'm stuck in the demo mission (post-demo content).

At the part with the big helm, how do you use it against the air raid? I am not getting any button prompts. I tried using the hand, sword, sending my guys inside, like with the toilets etc.

Game hasn't clicked yet, completely. I'm still very overwhelmed. Also, I'm getting enemies that hide in a corner and rush at me from off-screen...

At the part with the big helm, how do you use it against the air raid? I am not getting any button prompts. I tried using the hand, sword, sending my guys inside, like with the toilets etc.

The
big football helmet
?
Draw a circle around it then press Y to have your guys pick it up.

Does anyone know who the voice actor for Wonder Yellow is? 'Cause he sure as hell sounds like Vlad from Magicka, which is completely fantastic.

Lyonaz

This game!!

I mixed the platinum card (30 of each space veggie) and bought the Unite Charge Block (800k, most expensive one). I can now charge up my Unite Morph with holding A instead of drawing a bigger Liner. Still need to take it out for a test drive, but FFXIV is calling me.
Soon baby soon.

The action setpieces are great, also DAT Wonder Pink!

Exile20

This game!!

I mixed the platinum card (30 of each space veggie) and bought the Unite Charge Block (800k, most expensive one). I can now charge up my Unite Morph with holding A instead of drawing a bigger Liner. Still need to take it out for a test drive, but FFXIV is calling me.
Soon baby soon.

The action setpieces are great, also DAT Wonder Pink!

making it so hard. Report back with that new ability, i wonder if it works as it should.

I've been playing for a couple of hours and I'm completely in love. Makes so much difference having played the demo and knowing generally what to expect in terms of mechanics, as I definitely found the demo a bit confusing initially.

It really is such a Platinum/Kamiya game - fun, deep, inventive, addictive. Love the boss battles too, not just the regular ones, but the multi-sectioned ones with QTE's etc.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This game is bat shit crazy! It's almost like playing a fighting game but feeling like you're in the middle of a shmup boss all the time

Frodo

Just got this e-mail from Nintendo about the discount for TW101:

Thank you for your email regarding the Pikmin 3 (30% off Wonderful 101) promotion.

In regards to your query, the offer is available to customers who purchase the Pikmin 3 software title through the Nintendo eShop (available from 26th July 2013) and pre-release date via download codes from high street retailers. Pikmin 3 has to be downloaded using the same Nintendo eShop account on the same Wii U console.

Furthermore, we have become aware of an issue with the eShop promotion for Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. Several consumers have reported that they have not received the 30% discount in spite of fulfilling the requirements. After investigating reported issues, we have identified that any purchases made after 10am 23/08/13 the discounted price was reflected in the eShop.

We are sorry to hear that the discount offer was not added for your eShop purchase. For technical reasons we can only add the difference to the eShop account. If you would like this to be processed, please contact us with:

· Your full name & surname

· Serial number of your Wii U console

· Email Address

· Contact telephone or mobile number

We look forward to being able to assist you further once we have received the requested information.

Should you have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

In case any of you guys are interested

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Back from vacation! Downloading w101 along with SF2T, Spin the Bottle, the Animal Crossing app and Art Academy Sketchpad.

Feelsgood.gif

Lyonaz

Unite Charge is awesome. When you hold the A button your Unite morph becomes bigger at the cost of 1 Unite Gauge. I can now switch my weapons more easier, so the pistol turns into a bazooka when you hold the A button to charge it. It becomes much easier to deal heavy damage that way. Also bought the Speed Liner so I can draw lines faster too. Gonna try the combos from the Saur video, to practice.
This game will be the tits if you get all the upgrades, definitely will complete the game multiple times on harder difficulties and get everything possible.

Also these Operations (levels, you get Operation 1-A,B and C, with C usually being an epic Boss Fight) are quite long, I like it. And soo much fun. Currently at Op.3.

I can't believe my Top 5 this year has 3 Wii U games so far. MH3U, Pikmin 3 and W101.

NeoRausch

man,I had noooo idea about the unit morph level up-system for all that are involved and more so for your selected leader.

how many layers does this game have? dang!

Top Bottom