• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

losername

Banned
The only times I have issues drawing the shapes is when the camera is angled funny or I can't clearly see what the unite line is looking like on the screen.

It's annoying, but forgiveable because what's happening on screen to obscure the gesture line is usually super badass.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is there an in-game tutorial?
I found the demo pretty confusing, despite having already played the game before at some videogame fairs.

There were codes top input in order to unlock stuff like this in Bayonetta IIRC. There might be something similar in W101 for those who don't want/can't fill the requirements for the unlocks.
Good to hear, not that I doesn't want taste the challenge to unlock stuff like this, but I haven't unlimited time lol.

I found the demo pretty confusing, despite having already played the game before at some videogame fairs.
The game always explains new mechanics the first time. It probably still takes some time to get into the game, though. But then it feels good.

monome

we need a gaffer review thread

I can't take all this hype T_T

review?

review!

remember that witch? well... all she has going for her after you've played W101 is having perfected the DMC genre.
W101 is more "grounded", less aerial, and you may/may not like better the somewhat more personnal approach of Bayo's fighting mechanics/ camera angle.

as for the rest. W101 is better paced, fuller in scope etc...

unless you conider avery action should play exactly like DMC, I think it's hardly defendable to put Bayo over W101.

and W101 is very comboish and technical, but it's a different breed.

PS : I bought Bayo on PS3 when it launched.
Bought Bayo JP X360 for the superior cover
Bought Bayo PAL 360 limited edition
Bought Bayo on Games on Demand
Bought the sexy pics book
Bought the music collection
Bought the PRIMA hardcover book
Bought the Eyes of bayo.
Bought the Play arts figures.

so guess what it means for me to put W101 above her.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Agreed on the need to manage drawing patterns. That's why I don't consider it a bug or problem like some reviewers implied, but can appreciate how they easily came across this quirk.

Yes, the game opens with a tutorial that eases you into the mechanics far more patentiently than the demo. But the random tutorial pop-ups are still there, and I think this is a game where you'll need to spend some time with it to get a good grasp of the mechanics.

I'm still on chapter 3, I've been replaying some of the earlier levels over and over again.

I'm trying to get a platinum medal on the second boss, but I keep on failing on
that part when the boss moves away from the tower to throw the big GEATHJERK spaceship it is using as an arm at the tower and the time slows down and Pink or Green appear on the screen (there is a pink Jet fighter flying over when the time slows down, and Pink says "bad boy!"), but I don't know what to do. It may be timing, but drawing the Whip or the Pistol doesn't seem to work. I think it might be pretty obvious what you are supposed to do, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Welp

every time someones face pops up, or they yell something you just need to equip that persons weapon and just stand there, do not attack.
if you equip it fast enough, it will trigger something.
Once i figured this out, i realised it works on all the bosses, i missed out on a lot of cool cutscenes .
It made the game so much better for me.
i went back to lambo/2 headed boss....it all made sense.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is a game that makes you learn from scrap how to play games. Forget everything you knew before it, you start from zero once again. But once you learn, oh boy!

I'm at work, I have to work all day before I can go home and play this game some more. That I can't wait says enough about the quality of this game. I've been playing them for over 20 years and playing them is part of my work, so I'm jaded on many games often, but this game does something to me, speaks to my inner gaming child.

Anyway I'm still at the beginning of the game I think, had not a lot of time this weekend. I'm now on mission 3
that begins with the big enemy stealing the special statue
. Can anyone tell me if that's still early in the game and if I still have a lot of content to go through? I don't want to rush it.

I'm also not sure if I should play through the entire game in one go, or maybe stop playing the story right now and replay the first few missions with the stuff I've learned up until this point, also to make my heroes stronger for the main game. I guess I have all day to decide what I'm going to do when I come home :p

To the Americans: keep strong, the wait is worth it! This is a gamers game through and through.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fuck you, time. Right now you are the only thing keeping me away from this game. I wish I could Unite-shitkick the next couple weeks out of existence.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm now on mission 3
that begins with the big enemy stealing the special statue
You mean Operation 001-C right? If so you still got a long way to go. I'd recommend to power through the game, the story is pretty epic and playing it in a short period of time would only enhance its effect I think. And you'll have by then a lot of new toys to play with when you'll revisit the earlier stages.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The ability to unite some of your troups while still controlling your morphed unit makes the game hectic and exhilarating.

There are so many things to learn in this game, I feel like I'm discovering Street Fighter 2 for the first time!

You mean Operation 001-C right? If so you still got a long way to go. I'd recommend to power through the game, the story is pretty epic and playing it in a short period of time would only enhance its effect I think. And you'll have by then a lot of new toys to play with when you'll revisit the earlier stages.

Wow, I thought I was already on mission 3 (out of 7)? But apparently its still the first out of 7 operations? I admid I haven't played much, but because it was spread out over short bursts in the weekend, it still felt like I was going through the game at regular pace. Just to be sure,
I've just had two missions, both in blossom city, second one ended in the stadium where you had to hit back a ball with a baseball bat, third level starts flying on the ship to the monster with the stolen statue
. If that's still the first 'operation' I'm mighty impressed.

And I'll power through the game in one go then. The characters level up pretty fast imo so I'm ok with revisiting the game when I've played it through instead of constantly backtracking.

Atram

Wow, I thought I was already on mission 3 (out of 7)? But apparently its still the first out of 7 operations? I admid I haven't played much, but because it was spread out over short bursts in the weekend, it still felt like I was going through the game at regular pace. Just to be sure,
I've just had two missions, both in blossom city, second one ended in the stadium where you had to hit back a ball with a baseball bat, third level starts flying on the ship to the monster with the stolen statue

And I'll power through the game in one go then. The characters level up pretty fast imo so I'm ok with revisiting the game when I've played it through instead of constantly backtracking.

There are 9 Operations, each with 3 missions

Mistouze

Yep you're at 001-C, still a long way to the end. And there are more operations than you think, won't spoil the amount but don't expect a dozen more lol. I'd say you got a dozen hours of play time left depending on your level so a single session might not be enough ^_^

Enjoy the crazyness, you haven't seen shit yet.

EDIT : Could anyone Wonderize my avatar? I need to don the W101 colors!

monome

I'd recommend to power through the game, the story is pretty epic and playing it in a short period of time would only enhance its effect I think. And you'll have by then a lot of new toys to play with when you'll revisit the earlier stages.

this is a very good advice for the NA crowd still waiting.

You'll be amazed at the pressentation.

The game is worthy of a WE marathon / calling sick/ taking two days off.

It's the first PG* game that feels like story/gameplay are meshed so well, that you can't/shouldn't think of it as a simple masterfull technical achievement where you get a kick out of "getting" the controls right after several playthroughs.

No, you get that insane SP/story mode that just keeps on giving.

this is a AAA game in the broader sense, and not a simple AAA action game.

and yes, I luuuuvvv everything in this game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just beat the incredible first boss, got Wonder Green and morphed into a hang glider.

If I've only scratched the surface, oh my.

Qurupeke

I just tried the demo and I realized that I don't want the game, I need it. May I ask, how many different attack styles(fist, sword, gun, etc.) there are?

Resilient

Can somebody please explain how to defeat the boss for 002-C? Pulling my hair out here, absolutely giving me serious grief right now.

Frodo

every time someones face pops up, or they yell something you just need to equip that persons weapon and just stand there, do not attack.
if you equip it fast enough, it will trigger something.
Once i figured this out, i realised it works on all the bosses, i missed out on a lot of cool cutscenes .
It made the game so much better for me.
i went back to lambo/2 headed boss....it all made sense.

Oh! Thank you so much! I'll try it again! ^^

I'm pretty good at doing multiple morphs at the same time now, and I draw everything by touch screen (well except for the paths, ladders and lines to requit new members).

I wonder what you guys use as the best way to get rid of small enemies? You know, usually you have a few big enemies and lots of smaller ones around them. Do you just let them be so theyll get hit eventually, do you fight them by just pressing the X, do you use a small fist for them?

Frodo

I'm pretty good at doing multiple morphs at the same time now, and I draw everything by touch screen (well except for the paths, ladders and lines to requit new members).

I wonder what you guys use as the best way to get rid of small enemies? You know, usually you have a few big enemies and lots of smaller ones around them. Do you just let them be so theyll get hit eventually, do you fight them by just pressing the X, do you use a small fist for them?

What I usually do, I draw the biggest sword I can to hit them all the same time as soon as they appear and get them out of the way and them go for the big guys. If there is one or two left I use the Climb attack so a hero will stay there hitting the small guy while I take care of the big one.

Frodo

Can somebody please explain how to defeat the boss for 002-C? Pulling my hair out here, absolutely giving me serious grief right now.

Go near it, draw the biggest weapon of choice (sword and whip have bigger range) and attack the face. It is waaaay quicker than using the gun. You can start with a B + A attack that will put you in line with its face and from there multi morph your way through. If it attacks the tower you can use Unite Guts to stop it from damaging it. I guess you can also block the laser with your sword. When the plates from its face brake you are going to have to use the whip. Follow the prompts on the screen on the QTE. ???????. Profit!

Mistouze

Try to switch to the right stick really, think of the glyphs as fighting game moves (hadouken, shoryuken for example). Way more practical than having your hand travel across the gamepad, especially when you'll want to spam multi-morphs on a dizzied ennemy. Buy the upgrade that enhances the line speed asap.

For crowd control a big unite sword is my go to weapon. Either as main weapon or a multi morph. With the unite gun as a second option.

One other advice, if you use the swarm attack some of your dudes will cling to the ennemy (a red circle around the ennemy will tell you if it's in this state) and multi-morphs will then directly teleport near the ennemy. A godsend if you want to stay at a distance and still do damage. Aside from the swarm, the unite gun gives the same advantage seeing how your guys are the bullets. A great keepaway weapon if you're good at managing your energy bar (a few module help a lot with that).

What I usually do, I draw the biggest sword I can to hit them all the same time as soon as they appear and get them out of the way and them go for the big guys. If there is one or two left I use the Climb attack so a hero will stay there hitting the small guy while I take care of the big one.

Sounds like a good tactic. How do you do the climb attack again?

Try to switch to the right stick really, think of the glyphs as fighting game moves (hadouken, shoryuken for example). Way more practical than having your hand travel across the gamepad, especially when you'll want to spam multi-morphs on a dizzied ennemy. Buy the upgrade that enhances the line speed asap.

For crowd control a big unite sword is my go to weapon. Either as main weapon or a multi morph. With the unite gun as a second option.

One other advice, if you use the swarm weapon some of your dudes will cling to the ennemy (a red circle around the ennemy will tell you if it's in this state) and multi-morph will then directly teleport near the ennemy. A godsend if you want to stay at a distance and still do damage. Aside from the swarm, the unite gun gives the same advantage seeing how your guys are the bullets. A great keepaway weapon if you're good at managing your energy bar (a few module help a lot with that).

Thanks. Sounds good. I'll try to learn how to draw with the stick, although I have to say using the touch pad felt pretty good. But yea you have to take your eyes off the action for a bit.

Mistouze

That's what I thought. I do that a lot but I wasn't sure it was called the climb attack.

Alright, I guess I'm good to go again, now just have to wait for 7 hours! haha
You and me both!

Last advice : if you're not using health items, remember that you can mix a Wonder Credit Card for 30 of each ingredient. You can then buy any item in the shop in exchange for it. Very handful for expensive items.

Oh, by the way - the story was amazing!

Major spoilers:
The plot twist about the Geathjerk being oppressed and wanting to save their species in the future is way better than most bad guy motivations in video games. Heck, it even serves as a hypothetical moral dilemma. I actually felt really bad destroying them, haha.

You and me both!

Last advice : if you're not using health items, remember that you can mix a Wonder Credit Card for 30 of each ingredient. You can then buy any item in the shop in exchange for it. Very handful for expensive items.

Hm interesting. I've not used a health item yet, but maybe that's because I'm playing on easy for now (or because Im still early in the game). That Wonder Credit Card sounds sweet, might wait for that.

Was planning to go home early today but alas, have a meeting at 4pm (cet time here) so Im going home at regular time. Will be home at 7 pm. Takes... too... long... argh!

hal9001

Banned
people on miiverse make posts about basic things in games....
w101 board is going to be packed.
if IGN struggled to even unite to cross the buses in the first few minutes then i see a big big problem coming....

2010-10-07.png

monome

You and me both!

this again. I'm quoting and requoting you, but rightfully so.

feels like a press to win action, really.
except it doesn't take away from the game, but simply adds.

it's a really well put together game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
At least the Wonderful101 miiverse community is bigger than Ducktales, Disney Inf, Angry Bird Trilogy and Splinter Cell.

That's something, right? :p

Top Bottom