• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Should I just assume this thread's gonna have spoilers from now on and steer clear? I didn't watch the director's cut trailer cuz it seemed like there'd be too much spoilerage, so I've avoided a good chunk of what comes after the demo portion. I just don't wanna ruin it all so close to release...

Frodo

QFbmGnS.png

It's getting there!

Shahadan

Apparently this time Game isn't selling the codes early. I guess they got scolded last time.
There is still tomorrow though.

Proven

So now that a few people got the game, anybody having any question? <_<

Info on Wonder Missions. Do you have any from the start? If yes, how many? If no, how long until you unlock them... possibly when you beat the game once, ugh.

Videos of any Pure Platinum runs on early Wonder Missions.

TDLink

So now that a few people got the game, anybody having any question? <_<

1. Any clue what "Battle Mode" is? IIRC it got accidentally put onto the website a couple of weeks ago and then quickly pulled. Sounded like some sort of multiplayer VS mode rather than co-op. Any clue?

2. Can you upload the full Wonderful March theme song somewhere? (I know there is way more to it than what was in the demo)

3. Can you view recruited Wonderful Ones' profile pages (what you see when you get them) after initially recruiting them?

Shahadan

Info on Wonder Missions. Do you have any from the start? If yes, how many? If no, how long until you unlock them... possibly when you beat the game once, ugh.

Videos of any Pure Platinum runs on early Wonder Missions.

You mean the Mission mode? You have three at the start I think (only tried them after like one hour in story mode) one for each difficulty. A second one unlocks after you complete one and is of the same difficulty tier.
I only did one of each so I don't know if there are more, but considering where each glowing cricle (entrance) is I'd say there aren't that much...?

That said you have access to every Wonder Eyes even if you have yet to meet them in story mode. I have no clue which symbol I have to draw for White and Black and still manage to summon them properly after experimenting for 2 minutes.

On that note, shitty controls? Lol. There is room enough for approximation in your drawings, considering I rarely miss any by now and mine are a mess :p

1. Any clue what "Battle Mode" is? IIRC it got accidentally put onto the website a couple of weeks ago and then quickly pulled. Sounded like some sort of multiplayer VS mode rather than co-op. Any clue?

2. Can you upload the full Wonderful March theme song somewhere? (I know there is way more to it than what was in the demo)

3. Can you view recruited Wonderful Ones' profile pages (what you see when you get them) after initially recruiting them?

1- No clue, unless they mean the Mission Mode.
2-I have no way to do that, sorry ;(
3-Unfortunately not or I can't find it. there are figurines of each hero but that's it. Also detailed files about the main characters.

Shahadan

Can someone confirm whether the framerate is improved from the demo?

Still some slowdowns in a few places where there are a lot of enemies, unfortunately. Still 60 fps most of the time.

Edit : Huh makes sense for Black considering his attack. I was drawing some sort of Ribbon myself :lol:

Shahadan

So about Wonder Missions, barring some surprise unlocking when you do a great score and/or complete them all, there seems to be only 6 (2 for each difficulty)
Seems a weird number to me, that said as you probably know each wonder mission is composed of 3 sub-levels.

Honestly I would advise to do Story Mode first. Wonder Missions spoil a lot of the bestiary and even at least once use a story boss. Plus, they're clearly designed to be done once you know how to play and more importantly how to defeat some enemies. I expect people to have no clue how to beat some of those geathjerks without doing storymode first.

So about Wonder Missions, barring some surprise unlocking when you do a great score and/or complete them all, there seems to be only 6 (2 for each difficulty)
Seems a weird number to me, that said as you probably know each wonder mission is composed of 3 sub-levels.

Honestly I would advise to do Story Mode first. Wonder Missions spoil a lot of the bestiary and even at least once use a story boss. Plus, they're clearly designed to be done once you know how to play and more importantly how to defeat some enemies. I expect people to have no clue how to beat some of those geathjerks without doing storymode first.

No one cares, how far are you in the story mode and how good is it???

On that note, shitty controls? Lol. There is room enough for approximation in your drawings, considering I rarely miss any by now and mine are a mess :p

I'm ready to go so hard on those reviews if I find no issue with drawing in the full game. I've been holding my tongue, but "Operation Scorched Earth: Down with Games Journalism" is ready to launch if necessary.

Hurry up September pls

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Still some slowdowns in a few places where there are a lot of enemies, unfortunately. Still 60 fps most of the time.

Edit : Huh makes sense for Black considering his attack. I was drawing some sort of Ribbon myself :lol:

do you know if its for sure slowdown or part of the flashiness?

Mupod

I'm ready to go so hard on those reviews if I find no issue with drawing in the full game. I've been holding my tongue, but "Operation Scorched Earth: Down with Games Journalism" is ready to launch if necessary.

Hurry up September pls

from what I can tell the claw shape is the difficult one for them because it's too similar to the whip. Since I haven't had a chance to use it, I can't say anything about it.

Shahadan

No one cares, how far are you in the story mode and how good is it???

KniveSmith seemed to care ;(

Beware I'm tired, stream of consciousness incoming:

I got Wonder Yellow one hour ago, so only two remaining, but other than that I have no clue how to gauge my progress :lol:
I'm having a blast and as I said the Hydra (first boss) is already one of the best boss fights I've played in my life. Gameplay and controls are just perfect.
I don't find the dialogues that funny, but that may be just me, and honestly story-wise I still have no clue. I'm still at "BOOM ALIEN INVASIONNNN" even after a whole night of playing. don't know if there is more than that.
It's very eventful and action packed, though. Actually it's some sort of nonserious Michael Bay movie, shit explodes and happens eveywhere at anytime. It's really full of ideas. Never boring. Some ideas using the two screens at the same time are really neat!

Camera can be really annoying at times. In a few places you have two tanks shooting at you, and no matter how much you de-zoom one will always be shooting at you from off screen. I guess it's designed that way, but I really don't like those things. It's not that often though.
I also encountered a few bugs, one where the camera got stuck and made me die particularly annoyed me. Civilians can get stuck in rare instances, it's not that important but annoying when you try to convert them all.

Honestly, minor annoyances aside, and barring a surprising complete shittiness before the end, it's already one of my favorite games ever, and I don't say that lightly.
I can already see myself replaying that shit just because playing it feels good. It's always fun, it's always surprising, it's always well done. If you liked Sentais or Power Rangers as a kid there is a definite plus to find in there.
It's also my favorite Kamiya game already (I have yet t try Bayonetta though).

I just wish we could play story mode with someone ;(
Wonder Missions will get old very fast.

Exile20

Digital Foundry: the game takes a huge drop in the framerate department when you create your Unite Morphs going from a very respectable 59.75 FPS to a staggeringly low 5 FPS

Where did you get this from? Link?

I got Wonder Yellow one hour ago, so only two remaining, but other than that I have no clue how to gauge my progress :lol:
I'm having a blast and as I said the Hydra (first boss) is already one of the best boss fights I've played in my life. Gameplay and controls are just perfect.
I don't find the dialogues that funny, but that may be just me, and honestly story-wise I still have no clue. I'm still at "BOOM ALIEN INVASIONNNN" even after a whole night of playing. don't know if there is more than that.
It's very eventful and action packed, though. Actually it's some sort of nonserious Michael Bay movie, shit explodes and happens eveywhere at anytime. It's really full of ideas. Never boring. Some ideas using the two screens at the same time are really neat!

Camera can be really annoying at times. In a few places you have two tanks shooting at you, and no matter how much you de-zoom one will always be shooting at you from off screen. I guess it's designed that way, but I really don't like those things. It's not that often though.
I also encountered a few bugs, one where the camera got stuck and made me die particularly annoyed me. Civilians can get stuck in rare instances, it's not that important but annoying when you try to convert them all.

Honestly, minor annoyances aside, and barring a surprising complete shittiness before the end, it's already one of my favorite games ever, and I don't say that lightly.
I can already see myself replaying that shit just because playing it feels good. It's always fun, it's always surprising, it's always well done. If you liked Sentais or Power Rangers as a kid there is a definite plus to find in there.

Sounds great, I can't wait.

Thank you, sir.

I'm already used to the annoying camera from the demo so that doesn't bother me too much but the rest sounds great....like expected.

They won't but maybe they should include co-op as DLC.

The best part of what you said is the replayability of the story mode, seems like a game that's so exciting that you will want to revisit it whether right away or down the road.

Shahadan

Hurry up September pls

If you haven't tried the demo, you will have issues :p
Honestly I had issues the first time I played the demo, as I'm sure many of us here. In the end I like comparing drawing shapes with the stick with doing combos in tekken or whatever. You don't do it properly the first times, and you will blame the controls, but it's just you not doing it properly.
We all experienced watching someone fail combos or jumps and blame the console at first. It's the same thing for me.
I have no doubt some reviewers were either bad at playing or just focused on their first experience. Still having trouble at the end of the game screams nonsense to me.

do you know if its for sure slowdown or part of the flashiness?

Definitely slowdows. Nowhere near as bad as 5 fps for me, but definitely 15-20 for a second or two. For now it has been rare and I still can count them on my hand.

Was there a Club Nintendo code? This game is first party and should have one.

Yes there is one :)

Proven

The thing about tanks that I never hear people notice... they make a distinct sound whenever they attack specifically so you can counter them even while they're off screen. From the demo alone, every enemy that can attack you from a distance has a sound effect tied to its pre-attack animations.

Shahadan

The best part of what you said is the replayability of the story mode, seems like a game that's so exciting that you will want to revisit it whether right away or down the road.

Yeah, btw you can choose to replay any mission at any time once you completed it. Small detail but essential to me :p

Oh, I remember a reivew mentioning there are 6 or 7 Operations. I'm at the end of Operation 3, so almost halfway through. Seems long enough, indeed.

Edit : also am I crazy or was the ship called Virgin Factory in the demo? I found that hilarious but maybe I'm mistaken since it's not called that in the full game.

Exile20

Yeah, btw you can choose to replay any mission at any time once you completed it. Small detail but essential to me :p

Oh, I remember a reivew mentioning there are 6 or 7 Operations. I'm at the end of Operation 3, so almost halfway through. Seems long enough, indeed.

Edit : also am I crazy or was the ship called Virgin Factory in the demo? I found that hilarious but maybe I'm mistaken since it's not called that in the full game.

Why do you think the mission mode is a throw away? In the demo it seemed like I would be in there a lot after finishing the story. I really enjoyed it.

majik13

The thing about tanks that I never hear people notice... they make a distinct sound whenever they attack specifically so you can counter them even while they're off screen. From the demo alone, every enemy that can attack you from a distance has a sound effect tied to its pre-attack animations.

noticed this, but there is also a lot of other sounds and visuals that will distract you.

Shahadan

Why do you think the mission mode is a throw away? In the demo it seemed like I would be in there a lot after finishing the story. I really enjoyed it.

I don't know I was hoping to see more of them. They're hard, though, that's a good thing. I'll probably wait to play them with someone.

On another note, god damn those story boss fights...so many ways to damage them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mine has shipped now! wooooooooooooosh, expecting to finally play it tomorrow!

Exactly, this has been a mainstay in this genre since its inception. I haven't had any issues dodging/parrying offscreen stuff in DMC/Bayonetta by listening to sound cues and I doubt this game ought to be any different. Still, I hope the camera isn't something you constantly have to fight.

Bleh, now I'm waiting for my Wii U to arrive, seems to be taking longer than expected which is unfortunate since the game's release (EU) is so close.

Top Bottom