• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Exile20

I am proud of Nintendo for giving us a demo far ahead of the game release and no review embargo until release day or after.

I really hate that. Publishers you know who you are.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
About the reviews, most are docking points due to controls. They seemed fine for me during the demo. I'm starting to wonder if society is starting to get use to "push A to awesome" and less having to control things ourselves. Do you guys think this is the case here? Are gamers just getting less and less use to having to do more than push a button every once in awhile and do more intricate things?

I think to be fair, no matter what era you're in, anything that upsets the apple cart and is too unconventional will be met with derision by a lot of people. Many in an audience have no interest in learning to cope with something outside their current experience. They want more of what they already know, but built up bigger and better.

There is nothing technically wrong with this, mind you. Everyone wants the same pepperoni pizza from time to time. As to whether it's actually getting worse though, I must admit I have my suspicions. Console gaming has become increasingly mainstream by sanding down rough edges and focusing on delivering the most straightforward experience possible at the moment.

The problem comes when a game looks as if it should slot neatly into an accepted genre, but chooses to do something different. TW101 looks like a 3rd person stylish action beat'em up. It does not however play quite like any existing game in the genre. It's going to cause problems, similar to how Kid Icarus: Uprising generated controversy for being built around play mechanics that were not accepted as standard for anything resembling a 3rd person shooter.

It does sound like the hammer is definitely harder to draw than the other shapes, but it also depends on how powerful that unite attack is, too. If it's harder to draw but too good to use, I can see that as a balancing act.

Neiteio

I was under the impression you could use wiimotes/nunchucks. If not I will remove it from the OP.

Information on multiplayer mode is surprisingly hard to come by.
I was playing multiplayer the other day. We all had to use WiiU Pro Controllers. It makes logical sense -- you need at least a right stick to execute the drawings. The Classic Controller would presumably work, as well, but I'm too busy to check Google atm. ;)

I found the stick better for drawing small morphs in the middle of fights and the screen better for recruiting and drawing big morphs. I do find the pro controller more comfortable to use though so I'll probably be switching between it and the gamepad depending on how I feel.

Neiteio

It does sound like the hammer is definitely harder to draw than the other shapes, but it also depends on how powerful that unite attack is, too. If it's harder to draw but too good to use, I can see that as a balancing act.
Did you play the demo? It's in the demo, and it's not hard. Sometimes it's tricky in the heat of a mid-air combo, but generally speaking, you just draw a question mark, or as I like to think of it, a sickle (Yellow being a ruskie and all). Short line up, then a half-circle.

Salih

best way to play it
RkmXq7c.jpg

Exile20

I found the stick better for drawing small morphs in the middle of fights and the screen better for recruiting and drawing big morphs. I do find the pro controller more comfortable to use though so I'll probably be switching between it and the gamepad depending on how I feel.

The hammer was not hard at all.

It's pretty fucking powerful(though limited).

In the demo, it was the toughest shape to draw but still easily done.

The only problem I had with it is that I would draw too big a line to get a bigger hammer and then run out of heroes to draw the circle or half-circle.

Now that I think about it, can you draw a tiny line a huge circle/half-circle using a lot of your dudes???

TOO BAD I WON'T FIND OUT AS MY DEMO EXPIRED.

Coolwhip

Banned
So, can GAFers would played the demo comment on how they found the touchscreen controls (vs R thumbstick). Did it cause any problems? Were you able to draw shapes rapidly and accurately during hectic fights? Did you use right or left hand to draw if not thumbstick?

It's not perfect. I think you can like this game despite the controls, not thanks to the controls.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much all the forms are comprised of the same shapes. Lines, circles and sharp angles.

I don't think any were designed to be harder or easier than others. In fact I think the opposite. That they deliberately tried to keep the shapes as simple and basic as possible while sort of resembling the weapon they were assigned to.(as to be easy to remember)

Neiteio

The hammer's best feature is the rocket-powered meteor smash. Launch someone into the air, then knock them back down! The little loop-de-loop is a nice touch, too.

Beyond that, though, it's a slow-ass weapon. Definitely a supplement to your other tools.

The hammer's best feature is the rocket-powered meteor smash. Launch someone into the air, then knock them back down! The little loop-de-loop is a nice touch, too.

Beyond that, though, it's a slow-ass weapon. Definitely a supplement to your other tools.

Would be cool in Smash Brothers when someone was trying to jump back up onto the stage.

I HAVE NO CATCH PHRASE BITCH.

Dave Long

Banned
Classic Controllers are supported, just in case someone didn't think so!

I'm envious of our friends overseas, but I can wait. I'll send Pikmin to their doom in the meantime!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Classic Controllers are supported, just in case someone didn't think so!

I'm envious of our friends overseas, but I can wait. I'll send Pikmin to their doom in the meantime!

I'm starting to think GAF should have a Pikmin Murder Society.

It's a Kamiya game, so Hard and then Super Hard/Ultra W-Rated/Non-Stop Infinite Heroes/Heroes Must Die mode, which will inevitably have super-fast enemies, get rid of the slow down time effect from drawing(so you better stop using that as a crutch right now), and everything kills you in 3 hits.

Regiruler

It has my favorite Wonder Rising and does Godly amounts of damage, especially when you pair it with gun to get a climb attack on far away enemies.

I'm used to using slow weapons though so it isn't much of a biggie. I should also note that the enemy height for a successful launch off Wonder Rising is more lenient with hammer than it is with hand or gun, but still needs a larger area to hit than sword (that thing can launch anything).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's a Kamiya game, so Hard and then Super Hard/Ultra W-Rated/Non-Stop Infinite Heroes/Heroes Must Die mode, which will inevitably have super-fast enemies, get rid of the slow down time effect from drawing(so you better stop using that as a crutch right now), and everything kills you in 3 hits.

Why would it?

I remember people thinking Rising would lose the slowmo prompts on higher difficulties as well.(myself included)

but it didn't and that was fine. I think 101 will be the same. It's not like it's Witch Time or anything.

D-e-f-

Banned
So, can GAFers would played the demo comment on how they found the touchscreen controls (vs R thumbstick). Did it cause any problems? Were you able to draw shapes rapidly and accurately during hectic fights? Did you use right or left hand to draw if not thumbstick?

Touch screen worked perfectly fine in the demo. No idea how it holds up in late game scenarios, obviously. Couldn't wrap my mind around the right stick alternative, but I only played the demo once and preferred the touch screen during that.

Why would it?

I remember people thinking Rising would lose the slowmo prompts on higher difficulties as well.(myself included)

but it didn't and that was fine. I think 101 will be the same. It's not like it's Witch Time or anything.

The Wonderful Missions take the slow down away, so I have a hunch they won't be there later. At the very least, if you want to PP those, you better get good at drawing shit without relying on time slowing down.

Neiteio

The Wonderful Missions take the slow down away, so I have a hunch they won't be there later. At the very least, if you want to PP those, you better get good at drawing shit without relying on time slowing down.
True, but that may be due to the fact the Wonderful Missions support multiplayer and it wouldn't be very fun if the game slowed down for everyone whenever one person drew a shape.

Those missions, btw, are a great way to "remove the crutch," so to speak. I crank out shapes like candy now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

That's for multiplayer though I figured.

So P.P'ing those is going to be an entirely different beast to begin with if they're balanced around that.

I feel bad for right stick players if they really do take away the slowmo

D-e-f-

Banned
Classic yes, but we're still wondering about just Wiimote and nunchuck.

If it doesn't work in the demo, it's not supported. Also, like Long said, two sticks or bust. How are you supposed to draw with the Wiimote? This isn't Okami after all.

GamePad & Pro Controller & Classic Controller (Pro) are supported. That's it.

Bear_Hugger

Neo Member
Got the game today, played approx. 3 hours. Wow. Just wow. Wii-U Killer app in my opinion. If you can control the demo you wont have problems with the fullgame. Minds will be blown...

Frodo

I played using the touch screen. I rather use it than the right stick, though the right stick does the job quite well, I just feel I'm faster with the touch screen.

The touch screen works fine. The only problem I had with it is that the touch screen is also used to access a sub-menu where you can choose the heroes that lead and I've hit that button accidentally a couple of times, but apart from that, when you correctly draw a shape it WILL register. If the game asks you to draw a straight line and you draw a curved one it won't.

I took my time to experiment the touch screen and try different methods to draw the 5 possible shapes available on the demo, and it works perfectly every time IF you draw the right shape. Like, for example, if you want to draw a Circle to activate Unite Hand, the game recognizes a C or a O, but if you overlay the lines when drawing a O it won't register. You need to draw a straight line to activate Unite Sword. If your line is curved there is the possibility it won't register as well. For the Gun, you draw an L shape. Start drawing a small straight line and with a 90 degrees angle a long straight line. Doing a long line first and a small line after the angle won't register as well.

All this is presented to you in with graphics that show exactly what you should draw. if you follow that the game will register what you are drawing every time. If you do a sloppy job and try to rush it won't. I think this is comparable to a fighting game mechanic. Press the right combination of buttons (to make a Hadouken, for example). If you press the right keys it will work. If you start your Hadouken and don't press down before moving your thumb to the right it won't register as well.

So in the end the mechanics of the game are kind of like a gamble. If you can invest your time mid combo to draw a more complex shape you might be benefited for that. Otherwise you can just draw a simple line and continuously use the sword. Makes the game harder? Maybe. But it is very satisfying when done right.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The Pikmin one is my favorite. Great job, Lissar!

Thank you so much! Funny thing is, I've never played a Pikmin game. Or even own a Wii U (waiting on Bayo2 + X). But it wouldn't be the first time I've provided art for things I know nothing about.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's time to invest in a pro controller? The plan was to wait for smash for those.. Oh well

Kyzon

Maybe it's time to invest in a pro controller? The plan was to wait for smash for those.. Oh well

The game works perfectly fine with the gamepad. You don't NEED one, but if you'd like to play multiplayer, then it would help a ton. I recently played through the demo with my girlfriend. She had no idea what she was doing at first, but came around with the pro controller after a while.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Why? You can use the stick on the GamePad and if you have Classic Controllers still, you can just use those.

Oh, it support classic as well? Neat, then I'll wait! :) If i'm not going to use the screen for drawing, then I think classic/pro will be more comfortable. Haven't decided yet though, as I have purposely stayed away from the demo.

You should try the demo.

It's not very spoiler-y on the final game and basically just throws you in a level and tells you to finish it (and I think cuts out long before the level ends).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You should try the demo.

It's not very spoiler-y on the final game and basically just throws you in a level and tells you to finish it (and I think cuts out long before the level ends).

It's not about spoilers though. I'm weird about the unboxing and playing a game fresh for the first time experience. At least games I've waited for as long as this

Shahadan

I recently got a Pro Contorller and was actually pleasantly surprised by how good it is, but I'll play using the gamepad. I don't want to miss a few jokes/neat details happening on the second screen some reviews keep mentioning. Or easily go to the shitter without stopping playing :x

Bear_Hugger

Neo Member
Played more, last time i was as satisfied with a game of this kind was sin & punishment 2.

For the unfriendly guy pissing in my inbox

bilder kostenlos

Will not answer the kind of strange questions he got, but let me tell it this way:

To all of you still on the fence, waiting for a price drop of the U, picking up the game but not the console, waiting for GTA v, to the ones been put of by limited demo useage, the ones that would have been there buuut daaat ign review, the ones that would have liked to play at a friends house but he already got rid of his Wii-U in order to buy Facebook games and so on....think over your decision if you like good videogames because your loss will be rather big.

Edit: seems i am not allowed to post pics, so i cant give the disbeliever his evidence.

Top Bottom