• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Great OT! It has great potential,but it’s smothered by the need to conform to its host forum’s feature set.

4 days to go. This week is crazy for Wii U in Europe, 3 games to buy on Friday. Weekend and life is cancelled until further notice.

Raitaro

No review could kill my excitement for this. The demo, characters and premise are sublime. Unite... hype.

I wish I could say the same! I'll still be buying the game, sure, but I can't help but feel a bit bummed that it couldn't be a 9+/5 star game across the board. Sometimes, such scores do still reassure me when making a purchasing decision, even though I should probably have stopped caring about them a long time ago.

In this case, it is as if reviewers are again deducting points from the game for just being on the Wii U, being colorful (and perhaps "childlike" in presentation in their eyes), or for having an isometric perspective (which is one of the reasons why Super Mario 3D World seems to be less warmly received so far).

The first two especially are part of what I have been calling the Nintendo / handheld tax for years (as most Nintendo / handheld games always receive slightly lower scores compared to blockbuster console or pc games it seems; Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion / Kid Icarus Uprising being three other recent examples).

What does help me get excited is the fantastic, dare I say it, wonderful OP though!

Einbroch

Banned
I wish I could say the same! I'll still be buying the game, sure, but I can't help but feel a bit bummed that it couldn't be a 9+/5 star game across the board. Sometimes, such scores do still reassure me when making a purchasing decision, even though I should probably have stopped caring about them a long time ago.

In this case, it is as if reviewers are again deducting points from the game for just being on the Wii U, being colorful (and perhaps "childlike" in presentation in their eyes), or for having an isometric perspective (which is one of the reasons why Super Mario 3D World seems to be less warmly received so far).

The first two especially are part of what I have been calling the Nintendo / handheld tax for years (as most Nintendo / handheld games always receive slightly lower scores compared to blockbuster console or pc games it seems; Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion / Kid Icarus Uprising being three other recent examples).

What does help me get excited is the fantastic, dare I say it, wonderful OP though!
Pikmin 3 has mixed reviews because its just a good game to a lot of people. LM got great review scores, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. It's at 86 on MC. KI:U got mixed reviews because the controls were very divisive.

Please stop with the "reviewers hate Nintendo". W101 is getting good, yet mixed, reviews because it's a game that needs to click with someone to really get into. Listen to 8-4 Play, they talk about how it clicked for one but not the other, and so on.

There is no bias. Fire Emblem got glowing reviews, as well.

Raitaro

Pikmin 3 has mixed reviews because its just a good game to a lot of people. LM got great review scores, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. It's at 86 on MC. KI:U got mixed reviews because the controls were very divisive.

Please stop with the "reviewers hate Nintendo". W101 is getting good, yet mixed, reviews because it's a game that needs to click with someone to really get into. Listen to 8-4 Play, they talk about how it clicked for one but not the other, and so on.

Ok, you are right about Fire Emblem, but it might an exception actually. For Luigi's Mansion "glowing" still means below 90 scores. The same score for so-called AAA console/pc games would be considered a (slight) disappointment. Simply looking at the top rated 3DS games proves my point I feel, as most of the games that are considered must-haves are scoring below 90 as well.

And to be clear: it might be to do with these games being handheld games more than with them being Nintendo games; or with them being so-called family friendly games compared to more adult, gritty games. Or, it might even be the case that ALL of these games have some blemishes on them. More logical to me would be to think that reviewers (generally, but there are exceptions of course such as the 8-4 people) actually are more critical / less in tune with these games (biased is putting it a bit too harshly imo).

As for the W101: it might be a game that requires a specific taste indeed. This still does allow me to express my wish for it to be a universally loved game though.

You know what, just forget that I brought up the whole review score thing. Let's just be glad that this game exists for those that do like it!

D-e-f-

Banned
You know what, just forget that I brought up the whole review score thing. Let's just be glad that this game exists for those that do like it!

Right on. The only reason I'm invested in the review scores for this is because it is closely tied to the health of the platform and its outside perception. Normally I'm a "don't give a F about your review" kinda guy. Guess I'm more frustrated with the fact how much attention people pay to the arbitrary number.

The only number that counts is 101. :)

monome

only reason I bother reading comments on scores is I'm so impatient of getting the full game, I just can't help but browse every 101 thread.

I feel like a virgin about to be touched, well a semi-virgin thanks to the demo, but it deosn't count until you've got it, the game, fully into your hands and ready to slip past the console's slit entrance.

D-e-f-

Banned
only reason I bother reading comments on scores is I'm so impatient of getting the full game, I just can't help but browse every 101 thread.

I feel like a virgin about to be touched, well a semi-virgin thanks to the demo, but it deosn't count until you've got it, the game, fully into your hands and ready to slip past the console's slit entrance.

You mean you got some under-the-clothes action but haven't gotten to third base yet? :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Stupid NoA, I want this game so much but you delay it for a month.

So hyped for this. Amazing OP.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

At this point I'm starting to think the problem isn't "anti-nintendo bias", but something in the other direction: bias towards games which are large productions clinically engineered to go down smooth and not demand anything unusual of the player that would spoil the anticipated ride.

The issue isn't a game getting a mix of 7s, 8s, and 9s. That would actually seem more rational compared to the mixture of review opinions typical in other mediums. Gaming tho seems locked into a "9.0 or bust" mentality. The truth is a significant percentage of games are generally over-scored and over-hyped as the next big thing because they're designed to make that initial impression.

Only genuine indie games seem to enjoy some degree of protection from these attitudes, possibly because base expectations for them are different.

D-e-f-

Banned
At this point I'm starting to think the problem isn't "anti-nintendo bias", but something in the other direction: bias towards games which are large productions clinically engineered to go down smooth and not demand anything unusual of the player that would spoil the anticipated ride.

The issue isn't a game getting a mix of 7s, 8s, and 9s. That would actually seem more rational compared to the mixture of review opinions typical in other mediums. Gaming tho seems locked into a "9.0 or bust" mentality. The truth is a significant percentage of games are generally over-scored and over-hyped as the next big thing because they're designed to make that initial impression.

Only genuine indie games seem to enjoy some degree of protection from these attitudes, possibly because base expectations for them are different.

I think you it the nail right on the head, once again.

pestul

I absolutely cannot wait for this game. I initially had the typical 'wtf is going on and wtf am I doing?' reaction when first trying the demo. By the end of the first play-through and leading into the second, I knew exactly what was going on. F'ing awesome experience! Wonderful OP btw.

BatDan

Sounds about right.
We're long past the day where "5" was considered "average" and now considered "total shit".
This is why I prefer reviewers that don't use numbers of any kind. Let their content speak for itself.

Tony91

4news.it 95/100

"Even if hard at the start, going on and mastering gameplay elements is rewarding, it's something you can't find in today's market, filled with games that will keep your hand until the very last moment of your adventure. A must buy for everyone, a new masterpiece for Nintendo's Console has arrived"

http://www.4news.it/15854-recensione-the-wonderful-101.php

EDIT:

Wrong Thread, Forgive Me!

D-e-f-

Banned
Sounds about right.
We're long past the day where "5" was considered "average" and now considered "total shit".
This is why I prefer reviewers that don't use numbers of any kind. Let their content speak for itself.

And why I'm so very disappointed that shacknews has now been forced (my guess) to adapt them after proudly not putting scores on reviews.

69wpm

And why I'm so very disappointed that shacknews has now been forced (my guess) to adapt them after proudly not putting scores on reviews.

Right, the stupid scores defeat the whole purpose of a review: Reading an article about the opinion of one person about a game. If you can't figure out if the game is good or bad by reading the review, you shouldn't play games at all. That said, most people these days scroll down to look at the number and don't even read the review, which is sad.

BatDan

Ugh, sounds terrible.

Personally I would adopt something similar to Spill (movie review site).

Full Price
Matinee (the video game equivalent would be Discount)
Rental
Some Ol' Bullshit

But yeah, it's discouraging that people are admitting they're not getting the game and even cancelling pre-orders because it isn't all 8's and 9's.

Don't make Kamiya sad you guys.

RMI

Banned
Also, without comment:

tXLknaW.png

fuck yes. We have to get past this shit.

Llyranor

So, can GAFers would played the demo comment on how they found the touchscreen controls (vs R thumbstick). Did it cause any problems? Were you able to draw shapes rapidly and accurately during hectic fights? Did you use right or left hand to draw if not thumbstick?

Hoodbury

Wonderful OT, love the fan art. But it says you can use Wiimotes for multiplayer. Is that true? I thought it was only pro controllers and classic controllers?

About the reviews, most are docking points due to controls. They seemed fine for me during the demo. I'm starting to wonder if society is starting to get use to "push A to awesome" and less having to control things ourselves. Do you guys think this is the case here? Are gamers just getting less and less use to having to do more than push a button every once in awhile and do more intricate things?

Every time I messed something up during the demo I could tell it was my fault and something I could correct and got better at the more I played. I don't really see what's wrong with that.

I'm not trying to fanboy this up and blast the reviews for lower scores than we were all hoping for since I'm still myself not completely sold yet, but I hate when I read reviews docking points for control issues when it isn't really problems with the controls. They are just different controls than what we are use to and require a bit more attention. I'm sure they could have made it a button masher and still done awesome looking combo's and effects, but it's the extra stuff that makes it a special game in my opinion.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So, can GAFers would played the demo comment on how they found the touchscreen controls (vs R thumbstick). Did it cause any problems? Were you able to draw shapes rapidly and accurately during hectic fights? Did you use right or left hand to draw if not thumbstick?

I think touchscreen is the way to play this game and the way the combat makes the most sense.

It'll be interesting to see if stick players can keep up with the pad in the long run, because I don't think it comes close to matching the speed and accuracy of the pad once you get used to it.

I use my right hand, since to complete the morph you have to press a button anyways. So the action doesn't resume until I have brought my hands back to the buttons anyways.

I suppose using your left while pressing buttons in a combo could be used to do them even faster though

Wonderful OT, love the fan art. But it says you can use Wiimotes for multiplayer. Is that true? I thought it was only pro controllers and classic controllers?
I was under the impression you could use wiimotes/nunchucks. If not I will remove it from the OP.

Information on multiplayer mode is surprisingly hard to come by.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya‏@PG_kamiya4h
Honor. RT @SamAustin7: Many reviews are giving W101 a low score because its "too hard".
How does this make you feel?

I love it.

Chozolore

First play through I was using the touchscreen with pen! cos I'm an idiot, but a finger is easier and more importantly quicker, however right analog stick is my no1 choice, the more I've played the demo I've found my right stick accuracy improving.

I personally did better using the right stick in the demo over the stylus. Someone suggested I just use my finger on the screen, but I prefer not doing that honestly. I think the game is more or less reasonable about the shapes you draw.

Top Bottom