• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Am I just a crazy Nintendo fan or are others here spending a good deal of time on Miiverse convincing people on the fence to take the plunge on the game? I feel like word of mouth is the only way this game is gonna sell any copies at all...

The Boat

Am I just a crazy Nintendo fan or are others here spending a good deal of time on Miiverse convincing people on the fence to take the plunge on the game? I feel like word of mouth is the only way this game is gonna sell any copies at all...

Diplomacy has failed! Let's make everyone buy the game!

Jrs3000

Wooo, finished 3-C Pure Platinum'd!

This one was a bastard, the intro alone is rough, dodging all this stuff is really tricky. Thankfully the boss himself is a pushover, felt good to reflect his galaxy spheres right back in his face!

I also just bought a pro controller and my god the analog sticks are SO MUCH better than the gamepad ones. I mean it's to the point where I'm wondering if my gamepad is busted or something. I'm so glad I bought one, I'm playing much better on it and it's much more comfortable anyway. Just wondering if anyone else notices a drastic difference in terms of stick resistance between pro controller and gamepad. I'm a bit worried honestly...

When you smash the drone with the final hammer hit to drive it like a nail into the boss and the 1-DOUBLE-0 blasts out I always lose it. So hype!

How's the rumble on the pro controller? Any better than gamepad?

Randomizer

Do I need to play Easy and/or Very Easy at any point if I want to get all the Bottle Caps?

For one of the bottle caps you have to complete every secret mission on all five difficulties. Fortunately on very easy/easy you only need to play the levels with secret missions, they also have no Kahkoo-Regah.

Llyranor

Just finished Op 5. The
Punch-Out
homage was good fun! I love how much of an adrenaline rush you get as you finish each op. Exhilarating stuff.

I want these guys in Smash Bros.

Squishy3

How's the rumble on the pro controller? Any better than gamepad?
I think the rumble settings are the same on both, I don't think they'd change the way rumble activates based on two different controllers. The way they used rumble in it is very annoying though and I absolutely had to turn it off. If I'm wrong someone feel to correct me.

popyea

I think the rumble settings are the same on both, I don't think they'd change the way rumble activates based on two different controllers. The way they used rumble in it is very annoying though and I absolutely had to turn it off. If I'm wrong someone feel to correct me.

You wouldn't need to change the settings for how rumble activates, just how the controller interprets and outputs the rumble. It's not like if nintendo released a controller with dualshock style rumble it would still vibrate like a cell phone for this game.

Busaiku

Man, it took me forever to realize that Ohrowchee's health was actually diminishing.
Since it kept refilling, I kept thinking I wasn't making any progress, and kept panicking cause I was losing so much time.

In the end though, I did end up taking a lot of time.

Regiruler

zlCfzRIm1vcvcHH1G4

Bloody hell Kamiya (line 5 of the second paragraph)

Platinum Paragon for Normal Mode achieved!

Vorkken took a bit of effort to figure out a good strategy to get a good combo going, but
the swords weaker power than the fist + long range means you can milk quite a bit of points if you're good. Plus, you can juggle after a Fist/Hammer Guts block, so that's a +100 right there with a rising after every block

JoeFenix

4-A Pure Platinum'd. Easiest chapter so far, only had to restart 3 times at the end, did the rest in one go. I don't know if it was because the chapter itself was simple or because I'm now using a pad pro but I feel like I'm just blasting through right now!

How the hell did I miss the Rising reference on my first play through when blue cuts the pipe? So so good!

zlCfzRInqJ4jGqqppf

If you notice colored circles on the ground in this level, use your wonder-liner on them. Goodies to be found!

Meesh

This is one of my favorite threads so far, the OP is great. Anywho, I've got 20$ Eshop credit and I'm strongly considering picking this up :) it's just been a crazy month between MH4 and Zelda bundles:/

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, I really wanna "fail" all the Unite Prompts to see what happens...

Or watch the inevitable YoutTube compilation.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
This is one of my favorite threads so far, the OP is great. Anywho, I've got 20$ Eshop credit and I'm strongly considering picking this up :) it's just been a crazy month between MH4 and Zelda bundles:/
Pick it up, now.
I'm sure I was very persuasive just now.

Squishy3

I never actually had problems drawing the hammer aside from when I tried to do it too quickly but never knew you could draw it that way either. It's like how I was watching a stream and a guy could draw unite claw 100% by doing a wavy line kind of similar to whip but not really. You can also make unite claw by drawing gun then adding a zig to the left at the end of it and I find it a little more natural than the Z shape they usually want.

Regiruler

That seems like an easier method but the intended shape works too. He was just drawing the line into a circle

but I like this method, gonna see if something similar works with bomb as that's the shape I have the most trouble drawing quickly

I just draw something that looks kinda like the omega symbol with one of the feet missing.

Omigosh, this is going to help so much hard when I play on hard. Thank you for sharing this!

I beat the game on normal last weekend and the last mission took me over two hours alone. I really really like the game, but I don't think I love it. This might change over time as I get more used to the fight system though. I had trouble with the hammer, but I was clearly doing it wrong. I have trouble making the claws and bombs too as they keep turning into the whip for me, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

I loved the increasingly absurd story, but it had too many 'final' moments at the end. Their Platinum Mega Zord was incredible and I nearly screwed up a button mash bit because seeing everyone furiously mash buttons in the game was that funny to me.

I think I'll play through on easy next to play with the systems more and see the silly story again.

Were people really trying to draw a P shape? Even the picture in the game is not a P shape. It is a line and a circle, just like the game says. I never had the least bit of trouble with the hammer. I found that the right stick is faster, but the game pad is more accurate. I never had any problems when using the gamepad, but I opted to use the right stick for 95% of the time for quickness. The only ones that gave me trouble at times were the gun and the claws, which registered as a whip sometimes. But hey, the analogue stick has many variables, so making perfect angles is difficult sometimes.

JoeFenix

You can taunt in this game.

Anc it's actually useful.

Now my mind is blown.

Taunting is AMAZING in this game, near instant unite camp baby!

Controller Pro has been a revelation to me, I could never go back to the gamepad now. I'm actually kinda bummed out at how crappy the sticks are on the gamepad compared to the pro. It's truly night and day for me, I have a friend playing the game who's saying the same thing essentially. Once he switched to pro he couldn't go back.

The game got even more amazing for me, so much easier to do stinger buffer unite morph switching.

OryoN

I did a lot of this during the earlier portions of the game. I didn't post as often once I got deep into it. I beat it today so I have more time ckeck and reply to such posts.
Diplomacy has failed! Let's make everyone buy the game!
Roger!
zlCfzRIm1vcvcHH1G4

Bloody hell Kamiya (line 5 of the second paragraph)
Seems like they had as much fun making this game, as we had playing it. Kinda sucks that N-fans didn't show much more support. There are a lot of familiar references in this game that they would no doubt recognize. The
'Punchout'
sequences caught me by surprise, to my utter delight.

Anyway, just wanted to re-affirm what a wonferful(pun intended) unique, and exciting ride this game has been. WOW @ THAT FINALE!!

lol, I also couldn't hold in my laughter at Wonder Red's attempt at a hero's 1-line catch phrase toward the end. Damn, Red killed it! That had to be the most 'awful,' and yet, most awesome 1-liner ever heard in the history of video games! :D

JoeFenix

Has anyone figured out how to counter the spiked ball on the boss of 4-C so it doesn't hurt the ship? I feel like I've tried everything, hammer blocks it from damaging you if you stand underneath but that's it, the ship still takes some damage. Is this even possible?

Busaiku

Gah, Gah Goojin keeps destroying me.
Destroys the platform every single time.
I figured out that I can reflect it pounding down on me, but I can't stop the bullets or lasers or anything, how the heck am I supposed to do this?

Neff

You could make the argument that this stuff should have been explained in the game but it makes me giddy to learn stuff like this after having enjoyed the game for 50+ hours.

Never. A thousand times never. This is one of those perfect games of player experimentation and discovery (or late dev blog reveals).

popyea

Gah, Gah Goojin keeps destroying me.
Destroys the platform every single time.
I figured out that I can reflect it pounding down on me, but I can't stop the bullets or lasers or anything, how the heck am I supposed to do this?

For me, just reflecting his fists away was enough to keep the platform from getting destroyed. But if even doing that isn't helping, you can also draw a wonder-liner around the damaged parts of the platform to repair it.

Top Bottom