• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm all for airing grievances, the more critical and articulate the better, but let's keep it cute and classy. Personal attacks and fecal matter, for example, are neither cute nor classy.

Javier

*Watches the Day One Walkthrough video*

Wow, they actually ruined "Calling". Didn't even think that was possible.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's partly because the original game was renowned for its unique twin-screen battle mechanic. Taking that away is removing / butchering a huge part of what made the original game great.

This seems pretty valid, but I think it's a bit premature to claim it "butchers" the game without playing the new version.

Both could be fun, which seems like it'd be worth the experience for fans of the franchise.

Hmm, never did find this out...

What's the name of the track that plays during the
unwinnable battles against Beat
during
week 2
?

Mit-

To be fair, in your quote of yesterday's twitter it's missing the part saying "People may write it off tomorrow anyway, if they do..." which implies it's not the sequel people were really expecting since otherwise he wouldn't be acknowledging the possibility of disappointment. But yeah, it was poor judgement on his part anyway.

I read it as, "you can find what you're looking for (a sequel) in this iOS port." Or even, "what you are looking for is actually an iOS port."

Both of those would be dumb assumptions. And he later acknowledges that this is not what most of us were expecting, confirming he is aware that what most of us want is a sequel. And despite that he still made the above statement, and still tried to hype up this announcement like there could still be a sequel.

Noi

Why not?

I'm just curious why people are so angry towards it.

Is it because it's on IOS?

I don't see how this is any different than something like HD remasters or even something like Persona 4 the Golden. and fans seem pretty excited about those kind of ports/re-releases.

This is partially the case for me, but not because of "lol there aren't any real games on iOS" or any of that garbage. Even if I wanted to get this version, I'd have to either get get an iPhone or buy a $400 Tablet just to play the game. Neither option is really feasible to the average fan, for obvious reasons.

I kinda hope SE plans on porting this to Vita or 3DS (or even PSP like they did FFIIIDS), cause I do like the new art. :/

I'm disappointed that the countdown wasn't for a TWEWY sequel, but I think Square-Enix might have one planned. Just the signs seem to point that way: TWEWY characters showing up in Kingdom Hearts: DDD, now an iOS port of the original game. It's like they're testing the waters for a sequel. I imagine it would be on 3DS (Imagine TWEWY in 3D) and Vita. But who knows? I'm gonna go play my DS copy that I paid $2 for.

Mit-

Any lower budget than the original?

I mean the completely redrew all the art and the combat system is redesigned for the platform.

Isn't there new content and music in this as well?

I think it's a bit unfair to write it off as an easy cash-in. They seem to have put some effort into this release

Most undoubtedly lower budget than the original, come on. They remixed a few songs (I'm assuming there's more than one remix? I've only heard the one...) as opposed to composing an entire soundtrack. They "redrew" a bunch of art assets as opposed to creating entirely new assets for a new game. Some of those assets are merely upscaled or had filters applied. The rest they just had to trace over all the old frames of animation. A lot of work, but not NEARLY as much work as actually creating new animations and artwork. Just lots of grunt tracing work. All the backgrounds appear to be original versions of the artwork (that they likely downscaled for the DS release), or upscaled art straight from the DS release (watch that Youtube of the first 20 minutes, plenty of rough edges are more than visible). They scrapped the top-screen combat and instead pasted the partner into the bottom screen combat with you. The partner interaction is undoubtedly less involved (not removed), and I'm sure implementation of this new system was not terribly difficult.

I don't know, you seem to think the original was low budget? The game was incredibly well made, had tons of music, tons of content, and tons of artwork and animations. I'm sure the budget was several times the size of the budget for this port.

I'd be willing to bet that no one involved with the first game's development was even involved in this port, except Nomura to give it a stamp of approval. And yet, the credits still feature their names because they're still responsible for 95% of it.

This is partially the case for me, but not because of "lol there aren't any real games on iOS" or any of that garbage. Even if I wanted to get this version, I'd have to either get get an iPhone or buy a $400 Tablet just to play the game. Neither option is really feasible to the average fan, for obvious reasons.

I kinda hope SE plans on porting this to Vita or 3DS (or even PSP like they did FFIIIDS), cause I do like the new art. :/

People saying "there are more fans having an iOS device than a 3DS, trololol" don't understand that even if that's the case, fans want a sequel, not a porting, and they'll probably a 3DS just for that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Most undoubtedly lower budget than the original, come on. They remixed a few songs (I'm assuming there's more than one remix? I've only heard the one...) as opposed to composing an entire soundtrack. They "redrew" a bunch of art assets as opposed to creating entirely new assets for a new game. Some of those assets are merely upscaled or had filters applied. The rest they just had to trace over all the old frames of animation. A lot of work, but not NEARLY as much work as actually creating new animations and artwork. Just lots of grunt tracing work. All the backgrounds appear to be original versions of the artwork (that they likely downscaled for the DS release), or upscaled art straight from the DS release (watch that Youtube of the first 20 minutes, plenty of rough edges are more than visible). They scrapped the top-screen combat and instead pasted the partner into the bottom screen combat with you. The partner interaction is undoubtedly less involved (not removed), and I'm sure implementation of this new system was not terribly difficult.

I don't know, you seem to think the original was low budget? The game was incredibly well made, had tons of music, tons of content, and tons of artwork and animations. I'm sure the budget was several times the size of the budget for this port.

I'd be willing to bet that no one involved with the first game's development was even involved in this port, except Nomura to give it a stamp of approval. And yet, the credits still feature their names because they're still responsible for 95% of it.

You're right. I didn't mean to suggest that the budgets were comparable.

My main point was I think more effort is being put into this than your original post let on.

Crayons

Banned
Untitled1.gif

Javier

But that's the normal Calling? Just with the original sound quality.
Actually, now that I listen to it again it does sound the same. First time I listened to it I swear some of the vocals weren't heard, like it was just saying "Calling" over and over again. I restarted my computer and it played normal. It was really weird.

watershed

Banned
On one hand I like the clarity of the new visuals but I don't like the actual assets. The in-game models look, its hard to describe, but its like all their sharp edges have been rounded.

If you couldn't get into the DS Battle System, why not try the iOS version instead? Why force yourself through something that didn't click? This is the perfect opportunity to try the game in a different way.

Because I don't really fancy spending $20 on a slightly tweaked version of a game I didn't really like the first time around. Also, I really can't stand iOS as a gaming platform for games that have their origins on dedicated gaming systems. Touch controls for games that used to use buttons universally suck. Every. Single. Time.

Note that I'm not against iOS as a gaming platform in general -- games that are built *for* iOS can be very fun. But console ports on iOS? Never a good thing.

EDIT: And I just watched some gameplay footage... wow, that doesn't look fun at all. I'd rather give the DS version another shot and play the game the way it was meant to be played than deal with those awful-looking, retrofitted touch controls. :/

Huff

Banned
Because I don't really fancy spending $20 on a slightly tweaked version of a game I didn't really like the first time around. Also, I really can't stand iOS as a gaming platform for games that have their origins on dedicated gaming systems. Touch controls for games that used to use buttons universally suck. Every. Single. Time.

Note that I'm not against iOS as a gaming platform in general -- games that are built *for* iOS can be very fun. But console ports on iOS? Never a good thing.

EDIT: And I just watched some gameplay footage... wow, that doesn't look fun at all. I'd rather give the DS version another shot and play the game the way it was meant to be played than deal with those awful-looking, retrofitted touch controls. :/

Ghost trick. Tactics

watershed

Banned
For anyone questioning whether to get this version or the ds version I'll say the ds version. Not only do you get the game, combat, and menus as originally intended, but you also get almost twice the background art for the city scenes and some great dual screen cut scenes. I just watched some gameplay of the ios port and I noticed that the top screen city art is missing. That alone is huge for me because the city really is another character in the game.

Mit-

You're right. I didn't mean to suggest that the budgets were comparable.

My main point was I think more effort is being put into this than your original post let on.

Yeah I wasn't trying to make the point that the game looked low budget. Just that the budget of an iPhone port is much, much smaller than something like a full sequel on 3DS or Vita or even a home console.

Ghost trick. Tactics

Fair enough, but those games never required button controls in the first place; they're natural fit for a touch-only interface.

But okay, I'll amend what I said: no game that originated on dedicated gaming hardware and whose gameplay is dependent on a responsive D-pad and buttons translates well to iOS.

It seems like a decent port, all things considered. Hyping it with a countdown was banal but it probably did generate more attention than otherwise...eh. Still awful.

Might try it out in a few months or so, idk.

Fair enough, but those games never required button controls in the first place; they're natural fit for a touch-only interface.

But okay, I'll amend what I said: no game that originated on dedicated gaming hardware and whose gameplay is dependent on a responsive D-pad and buttons translates well to iOS.

Several have, including fighters like sf4. Need to keep an open mind.

Ios is not the problem. Poorly thought out and rushed translations are the issue. Being expensive, huge in size and non-universal are also not the best ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom