• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst States for Black Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Milwaukee led the nation of most racially-segregated U.S. cities, which may actually make the problem in Wisconsin more a problem for Milwaukee, where the vast majority of the state’s black population lives.

bingo

TheJLC

Surprised about Illinois, to be honest. Black people have been moving here from the south a lot and recently many from Wisconsin and Michigan.

But at the same time I understand because of the high price of living ever increasing. And Illinois is heavily segregated.

And what is your delay, bruh? Unless you nabbed a really good job or are in school...sun shines brighter in damn near every other state in the union. Bein out of Michigan now for several years has made that very clear to me.
Being in high school is the only reason why I am not already away from Michigan. This is my senior year and the school is really blatant about having little to no money at this point. That and a couple schools had to merge/close down, which made my school become crowded.

devilhawk

I dunno about the metrics and framing as the "worst".

Low population, low income, I mean I never expected much out of fly-over country. But this "no, not the south" switcheroo makes me pause.

I can see them being bad over incidentals. How about a list of the Top Ten states actively TRYING to be the worst for blacks and other minorities.
Is it really shocking that in Kansas, where the black population is around 5%, there is not a congressional representative that is black? Especially when Kansas gets so few representatives because the population is so low.

Seems a weird way to frame the worst states.

Sevarus

The rest of the state is more "classically" racist. I went to school in a small town that was rural but swiftly becoming suburban. 99% white. I remember I got into an argument with another kid my junior year of high school who argued that "we should just ship all the blacks back to Africa."

My girlfriend is Mexican, and while I would love to show her some of the most beautiful parts of my home state up north, I am honestly a little scared to.

The South gets a lot of undeserved hate about it being bigoted. Sure it has racists, but so do places like New York City.

There's also many middle class and affluent black communities in the South, something that's harder to find in Northern states.

Agreed. I was born and raised in the south, and now live in Atlanta. People in the south even have misconceptions about the more rural states due to their history but seem to not consider northern states similarly.

Considering I live too close to Reading, PA for comfort, there is nothing that surprises me about Pennsylvania. Philadelphia segregation is nothing compared to that place.

There are a lot of really great things in this state though.

RP912

Banned
Considering I live too close to Reading, PA for comfort, there is nothing that surprises me about Pennsylvania. Philadelphia segregation is nothing compared to that place.

There are a lot of really great things in this state though.

Indeed like better healthcare :(

One of the reasons why I miss living in PA.

esms

I studied there from 06-10. Philly always had different areas where different cultures presided. Don't think it was any forced segregation, just how the communities arranged themselves.

I think the willing community arrangement has a much larger impact on new immigrants, like the Cambodians that came here to escape Pol Pot.

But with black people I think its largely gentrification and redlining that actively segregates them to certain parts of the city. For example, where the engineering buildings are (down by 31st and 32nd) used to be called "The Black Bottom," and housed a large number of black residents. When Drexel forcefully bought that property, most of those people moved to Mantua. Now Drexel is buying up properties in Mantua. It essentially leaves very few areas for black people to work and live in.

heyf00L

Louisiana is 30% black. Several major cities are majority black including New Orleans.

Yep. Even with attempts at gerrymandering, Louisiana has black representatives and mayors.

Here's the mayor of Monroe where I'm from (and where Duck Dynasty is filmed in part).

That said, institutionalized racism is still rampant in Louisiana. I didn't see many blacks at all when I worked as a professional down there. Despite Monroe being majority black, everyone I worked with was white or Asian.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Madison is no picnic, either. The achievement gap in our schools is atrocious, and there is just a huge disparity in income and housing between whites and people of color. The saddest part is, ask any white Madison "progressive," and they'll tell you that oh, we're so tolerant and "colorblind" here... and that's the biggest problem.

Maybe everybody just thinks they're colorblind here because there aren't any black people.

Sephzilla

I'm not surprised to see Wisconsin there (kind of surprised by #1 though). But honestly I think it's more of a straight up Milwaukee problem than a Wisconsin in general problem.

JCX

You plan on staying in MI bro? Or are you getting the fuck out like everyone else?

If you're on the fence...I recommend that you get the fuck out.

Trying to leave for a place without snow, but the mitten keeps pulling me back.

As a Detroiter, not surprised to see Michigan on the list. My brother and most of my peoples moved down South after graduating from college because of the better opportunities for Blacks. My mother is moving down there too.

Much cheaper cost of living down south too. When the jobs left Michigan, cost of living didn't adjust with it.

The silver lining is that when the water wars break out in 100 years, Michigan will be set. Henry Ford was playing the long game.

deadlast

As someone that moved from the north to the south half way through my life, I have to say the hate is well deserved.

Of course part of it is anecdotally speaking but the racism here is very bad. I have a harder time finding people that aren't racist in some capacity then I do people that are.

I lived in a place called Chalmette for a little while that after Katrina tried to legislate black people out of coming back. By way of requiring two or three generations of blood heritage in the parish in order to buy a home. This is specifically racist and was ruled illegal because chalmette knew it was essentially a whites only city prior to the late sixties.

Swing up to Baton Rouge where we are having a fight between the rich white area of the city that wants to reverse civil rights policies by breaking off from the city because they essentially are tired of paying tax dollars to black people and seeing black people in their neighborhood public schools. Something that another former part of Baton Rouge already successfully did.

Then combine that with the racist cops, which I can say that as my time as a bartender that waited on a number of cops and worked down the street from a african-american owned bar that owners and a couple local political figures(that had minor stakes in some other bars) came together to find a way to get shut down - which they eventually did. My father also had a number of friends who were on the police force and they would say how racism is pretty common and out in the open. It's pretty much culturally ingrained in law, politics and culture around here. Which is shown in our overwhelming arrest rate for blacks compared to whites and the way our political dialogue is.

Yes, but we LSU.

The major issue with Louisianians, is people sticking with their own kind. Like only hanging out with people who look like you will make your life so much richer. Also people really don't like change, of any kind. I know every time I go down there, there may be new buildings but the people and the attitudes are like 100 years old.
And people never bring previous generations to task for their bullshit. It's OK if grandma still uses racists terms, because she did when she was younger. I hear this way too much.

Side note: Someone once told me my physics book was a lie and the only book that had truth was the bible. I was too shocked to respond.

E92 M3

I think the willing community arrangement has a much larger impact on new immigrants, like the Cambodians that came here to escape Pol Pot.

But with black people I think its largely gentrification and redlining that actively segregates them to certain parts of the city. For example, where the engineering buildings are (down by 31st and 32nd) used to be called "The Black Bottom," and housed a large number of black residents. When Drexel forcefully bought that property, most of those people moved to Mantua. Now Drexel is buying up properties in Mantua. It essentially leaves very few areas for black people to work and live in.

What does forcefully bought mean? If the owner decides to sell it his right as with any piece of real estate. Of course I do not know the nature of the lease with the tenants and if there were any clauses that deal with the possibility of change of ownership. Either way, I am sure no one was kicked out on the street without proper notice.

All humans are equal and black people can work and live where they want.

Trying to leave for a place without snow, but the mitten keeps pulling me back
Don't let it hold you too long. You *will* enjoy life more elsewhere. But you will miss Slow's BBQ. Unmatched ribs in all my travels. I make trips to Michigan almost exclusively to hit Slow's again. It's like that.

Living in ohio for almost 30 years makes me wonder how we didn't make that list. o.o
Columbus, Cincinnati and several major suburban cities are doing quite well. The struggle in Ohio is mostly in parts of Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton and Youngstown. And relative to some of these other states (like Michigan), most of Ohio feels like a vacation by comparison.

Also some of the best schools k-12 in the world.

It's my understanding that when people talk about how great and diverse the South has become both socially and economically, they are referring to NC, SC, and Georgia. Then, when people say 'no no no, the South is a cesspool' they are talking about Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

At least, that's how these threads tend to go. I'm not from the South (from a place probably much worse) so if I'm fucked up on this, let me know.

garyoldmaneveryone.gif

Surprise, surprise... Michigan is on that list.

Have I mentioned I hate this fucking state? 'cause I fucking hate it.
I lived in Michigan for 15 years. I moved out while everyone said "it's the same everywhere else". It's not. Leave the midwest, and never look back. Life gets better.

esms

What does forcefully bought mean? If the owner decides to sell it his right as with any piece of real estate. Of course I do not know the nature of the lease with the tenants and if there were any clauses that deal with the possibility of change of ownership. Either way, I am sure no one was kicked out on the street without proper notice.

All humans are equal and black people can work and live where they want.

As a part of urban renewal in Philly during the 50s and 60s, the area was declared blighted by the city and seized by eminent domain laws. It was then razed and Drexel began building there. So, yes, these people were essentially kicked to the curb with very little notice.

I'm not arguing that all humans aren't equal. They are. But they certainly aren't treated like it.

When you stick a whole bunch of one race into a confined area, don't invest in it, have a lax L&I department that allows abandoned properties to collapse or ruin property values, and the amount of economic opportunities and means of getting ahead are very few, you can't exactly work and live where you want. You work and live where you can to get by.

E92 M3

As a part of urban renewal in Philly during the 50s and 60s, the area was declared blighted by the city and seized by eminent domain laws. It was then razed and Drexel began building there. So, yes, these people were essentially kicked to the curb with very little notice.

I'm not arguing that all humans aren't equal. They are. But they certainly aren't treated like it.

When you stick a whole bunch of one race into a confined area, don't invest in it, have a lax L&I department that allows abandoned properties to collapse or ruin property values, and the amount of economic opportunities and means of getting ahead are very few, you can't exactly work and live where you want. You work and live where you can to get by.

No one just sticks people into an area. There are always options in life - some accept it as it is, others fight for what they want. Black people aren't some kind of sheep that need to be guided by the white man. They are all individuals with equal freedoms and rights. Just like white people, some black people didn't seek to improve their lives while others fought to get out of poor circumstances.

esms

No one just sticks people into an area. There are always options in life - some accept it as it is, others fight for what they want. Black people aren't some kind of sheep that need to be guided by the white man. They are all individuals with equal freedoms and rights. Just like white people, some black people didn't seek to improve their lives while others fought to get out of poor circumstances.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not arguing that black people have less rights and freedoms. Technically, under the law, we are all equal. All I'm saying that there is systemic and institutionalized racism that limits the amount of socioeconomic opportunities that many blacks get. And that type of racism is very apparent in a city like Philly.

E92 M3

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not arguing that black people have less rights and freedoms. Technically, under the law, we are all equal. All I'm saying that there is systemic and institutionalized racism that limits the amount of socioeconomic opportunities that many blacks get. And that type of racism is very apparent in a city like Philly.

I understand you, we just have different views on life. Overall, Philly is such as shitty city, I got my education - some of the best in the country - and go out to live in the suburbs. I think the brain drain is getting worse every year.

akira28

Funny thing how none of those states would ever come up on the "Hey! lets move to here" list. Except Minnesota.

Hey! Lets move to New Jer...no. Kansaa....no.

Wisconsin...nah. I mean, I guess they wanted to find a different angle, but...ok. Thanks? Bottom line is America still mostly sucks for black people unless you're in certain culture zones or places where blacks have high political representation and therefore civic protection.

And even then it can still suck.

America sucks if you're poor. A minority. Disabled or have a chronic illness, or aging or non-wealthy elderly. If you're any of these, unless you're on your p's and q's, you can get fucked. And that's official.

And what is your delay, bruh? Unless you nabbed a really good job or are in school...sun shines brighter in damn near every other state in the union. Bein out of Michigan now for several years has made that very clear to me.

I couldn't give you a real reason honestly, I'm" self employed so I am not hammed down by an employer; I likely stay in the D because of the low cost of living and familiar settings. My mother and brother wants me to move to Bama or Georgia, my friends want me to move to Florida and my sister thinks I should move to Cali... all hot states but I don't like hot weather lol.

Much cheaper cost of living down south too. When the jobs left Michigan, cost of living didn't adjust with it.

The silver lining is that when the water wars break out in 100 years, Michigan will be set. Henry Ford was playing the long game.

Really? I've always considered SE Michigan cheap as hell to live here, at least compared to when I lived in Chicago.

What are some of the best states for black Americans?

No one ever conducts a study on this for some reason lol. From the few I've seen (articles and forums) Atlanta and DC seems to pop up often but those are individual cities. Like Wiz said, most would be in the South anyway.

Yes as many Blacks moved to the north after the Civil War, there's evidence showing the opposite going on now. Many are moving the South due to lower cost of living. Rising cost of living in the Northern States, has hurt Blacks the most since they have lowest annual household income amongst tracked minority groups.

Why do I not see this effect in California? Maybe we're 11th on the list? I know I just read an article about diversity in silicone valley dropping big time.

Most of those states were pretty east regardless of the north south dynamic.

inner-G

Banned
Chicago is segragated in a lot of ways. Black/white, rich/poor, city/burbs and there are heavily ethnic neighborhoods too, Chinese, Polish, etc.

I lived in Michigan for 15 years. I moved out while everyone said "it's the same everywhere else". It's not. Leave the midwest, and never look back. Life gets better.

I believe what you are trying to say is 'leave the big shithole cities in the midwest, life gets better'. Life in the rural parts of the midwest is easy living.

esms

I understand you, we just have different views on life. Overall, Philly is such as shitty city, I got my education - some of the best in the country - and go out to live in the suburbs. I think the brain drain is getting worse every year.

I feel you man. The city is kinda dirty, but I love it for its culture and the bars. I think the brain drain is affecting us more internationally nowadays. I've met countless Chinese students who were sent over here to get an business or finance degree and than head back. I think the 2013 census found that Philly gained some population, the first upswing in about 30 years. What that means for racial politics in the city, only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom