• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Writing-GAF Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
This is a great thread, so I thought I'd join in.

I've been writing for a long time, and even took a few creative writing classes while I was in college. I focused on short stories before moving off to screenplays. About a year ago I decided to return to fiction, and recently self-published my first novel. It's called LIVE UNDEAD and is a real nasty story about a vampire rock band. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087TFO8O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm currently working on my second novel, which is shaping up to be a nasty piece of work in its own right. Unfortunately it's been going slower than I anticipated, so I'm sure I'll pop in here to vent every so often. I hope to publish it in September, but I'm not sure how likely that is at this point. So maybe October?

Thanks for such an awesome thread!

You're welcome - I'm always glad to see others chime in. Good luck with the self-publishing route. While you do need to stick to at least a yearly release schedule to keep people interested in your work, the benefit of self-publishing is that you don't have any real deadlines so you're free to take extra time to work on your writing. I like that aspect of it, since I am employed full time and write on my own time.

Professional editors aren't cheap -- they can range from $300 - $500 depending on the length of your novel and the amount of work required. Toss in some professionally designed cover art ($100 - $200) and some ads on various Kindle sites and you've just burnt through that $750 without breaking a sweat.

He's stated that this is a re-release of an already finished work, so that should have already been done the first time around.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I've been writing for a long time, and even took a few creative writing classes while I was in college. I focused on short stories before moving off to screenplays. About a year ago I decided to return to fiction, and recently self-published my first novel. It's called LIVE UNDEAD and is a real nasty story about a vampire rock band. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087TFO8O/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Just bought the book. I read the review, and I'll read just about anything with gay characters. Good luck on your second book!

You're welcome - I'm always glad to see others chime in. Good luck with the self-publishing route. While you do need to stick to at least a yearly release schedule to keep people interested in your work, the benefit of self-publishing is that you don't have any real deadlines so you're free to take extra time to work on your writing. I like that aspect of it, since I am employed full time and write on my own time.

I'm currently unemployed, so I've got nothing but time to work on it!

I've been interested in self-publishing for a while now. When I was in college I even looked into it, but it was a whole different ballgame back then. There weren't freelancing editors and a host of available markets ready and willing to sell your work. Toss in the fact that you had to have print copies done, paid for in advance, and it was simply not feasible. It's amazing how much things have changed in such a short amount of time.

He's stated that this is a re-release of an already finished work, so that should have already been done the first time around.

He described the first release as being an "experiment". I took that to mean he did nothing for his book and sent it out onto Amazon to die. Now that he's realized there's a bit more to it than that, he's looking for some help to do it right. At least that's the charitable interpretation of his endeavor.

1stStrike

Banned
He described the first release as being an "experiment". I took that to mean he did nothing for his book and sent it out onto Amazon to die. Now that he's realized there's a bit more to it than that, he's looking for some help to do it right. At least that's the charitable interpretation of his endeavor.

Even so, I can't get behind that. Your book has your name on it and when people read it that's the impression they get of you as an author. It's one thing to try your best and take appropriate steps to ensure the best quality book you can do and fail, but it's another to half ass it and then expect people to pay for you to go back and redo it later.

The publishing industry, whether traditionally or self-published, is a dog eat dog market and there's no room for whimsical authors amongst the masses.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Even so, I can't get behind that. Your book has your name on it and when people read it that's the impression they get of you as an author. It's one thing to try your best and take appropriate steps to ensure the best quality book you can do and fail, but it's another to half ass it and then expect people to pay for you to go back and redo it later.
That's the impression I'm getting too. Kickstarting something that already exists defeats the purpose of the website, and the tone of the book's Kickstarter is really weird on top of that. Promising postcards with the characters along with deleted scenes make the book sound like something that already has a large fan base, but since the book, by the author's own admission, didn't do well, I'm not sure why they're supposed to entice me to fund the project. The $500 reward sounds ridiculous too. I'd like to think that most authors strive to make their books tight and well-plotted enough that throwing in an extra chapter that is completely tangential to the story shouldn't be possible. The Kickstarter sounds like it should be for a webcomic or serial, not a book.

I'd have less of a problem with the Kickstarter if it was, like you said Plasticine, to pay for editing costs. But it sound like this is just the same book now properly formatted, with a spiffy new cover (can you not update an e-Book?), and with extras in the back that are simply there to justify calling the project a relaunch.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quick Question Writing GAF... how do you find it better to write your story? Chronologically (write it from beginning to end in one swoop) or writing parts you want to write first and then filling out the spaces?

Ashes

Banned
Quick Question Writing GAF... how do you find it better to write your story? Chronologically (write it from beginning to end in one swoop) or writing parts you want to write first and then filling out the spaces?

There are two main ways to write - I don't think any single method works best. My thing is to know what I am going to be writing about, and then write it. And thus it wouldn't necessarily have to be written in order, but it's easier that way.

But others like to write with a good idea about what they are going to write, and then just sit down and see how the story unravels for them. Either way, once you have your story, you just draft, redraft, make it better.

And that is for poetry and writing short stories. Week in Week out. Novels will require a bigger investment, but the two main ways are usually how it works. Plan the garden, or sprinkles seeds and let them grow.

1stStrike

Banned

I write from chapter 1 to the end without skipping around. I find it easier to manage like this and less inconsistencies that can be introduced by bouncing around. I also know that if I'm on chapter 10 in a story then A - E has happened so far while F - Z still needs to happen as opposed to A, Z, F, N, and M being done with the rest still to go.

It does come down to preference, though. There are plenty of writers who do skip around and do just fine with it, but I prefer not to.

Ashes

Banned
I write from chapter 1 to the end without skipping around. I find it easier to manage like this and less inconsistencies that can be introduced by bouncing around. I also know that if I'm on chapter 10 in a story then A - E has happened so far while F - Z still needs to happen as opposed to A, Z, F, N, and M being done with the rest still to go.

It does come down to preference, though. There are plenty of writers who do skip around and do just fine with it, but I prefer not to.

Have you written a few chapters down the line in your head? or do you mean like you know a certain character has to do a certain event or go to a certain town?

In addition to what I said before, it suddenly popped into my head, that there are more ways to write. Some writers famously claim to write the ending first, and work their way towards it.

1stStrike

Banned
Have you written a few chapters down the line in your head? or do you mean like you know a certain character has to do a certain event or go to a certain town?

In addition to what I said before, it suddenly popped into my head, that there are more ways to write. Some writers famously claim to write the ending first, and work their way towards it.

I always have the premise loosely planned out so that I know what each character needs to accomplish in the story. I then write according to that plan.

RetroMG

I uploaded the Kindle version of my Nanowrimo novel through Createspace the other day, and now it's up on Amazon. I've always dreamed of seeing my novel up on Amazon, but now that it's there... It's awesome, but it's also really nerve-wracking, to know that my baby is out in the wild.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am used to writing my stories from A to Z, but in my mind I am excited to write about future events so it kinda gets in the way when writing. Not sure if anyone can understand me haha :p

1stStrike

Banned
I uploaded the Kindle version of my Nanowrimo novel through Createspace the other day, and now it's up on Amazon. I've always dreamed of seeing my novel up on Amazon, but now that it's there... It's awesome, but it's also really nerve-wracking, to know that my baby is out in the wild.

Congrats. I hope it works out for you.

I am used to writing my stories from A to Z, but in my mind I am excited to write about future events so it kinda gets in the way when writing. Not sure if anyone can understand me haha :p

This is something all writers struggle with, I think. In my current WIP all I want to do is write the last 2 chapters because I know that there's going to be some crazy shit happening, but I need to finish the rest of the chapters first. I use it as a driving force to keep me motivated.

When I write short fiction I tend to compile sentences, paragraphs and bits of dialogue then tie it all together.

With longer pieces, I write straight from beginning to end. Occasionally I'll have the ending before I start, but not always. I make things up as I go and then back track to pound the piece into shape. If something doesn't fit, I'll cut it out and hope to get some use of it later. If I get stuck, then I'm stuck. I won't move on until it feels right.

It's all very chaotic, but it works for me - I think.

Dresden

can't edit if i can't write

Although writing some portions is like pulling teeth right now. I'm so out of practice.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Editing can get tedious on multiple passes but I never have "editors block" or anything similar. I can always edit. My stuff, others' stuff, whatever. Writing has more barriers to beginning for me.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I love editing. I can take something that sounds good sound better, especially if I have no personal attachment to the piece.

I have 1000 awesome writing ideas, but I hit a speed bump that always turns into a cliff when I cant get passed the initial idea.

B33

Banned
The funnest part is using my imagination and coming up with the bones (foundation) of my work - whether it be a short story, magazine feature, editorial, screenplay, and so on.

The hard part comes when I need to sit down and write, even without inspiration. Those that write for a living have to write no matter what. There is no waiting for that FLASH of inspiration to illuminate the paper with countless words.

After some time, sitting down to edit feels like I've discovered a portion of a fossil under the Earth and must carefully brush away the dirt, chip away at surrounding rock, and carefully extract the remains with fidelity. It's fun, enriching, and a learning process.

Writing for a living isn't supposed to be fun. It most certainly can be, but like any job, it'll have its frustrating moments. The important thing is to keep writing.

Jintor

I've been doing a bit of freewriting and it's really helping out, I think. Just getting ideas down onto paper. I think maybe I might get serious about this writing stuff. Buckle down for a bit.

pulsemyne

Editing is a pain. What I did was to print out a full version of my book and then go through it page by page and scribble down notes and corrections. So much easier to see things on paper than on a screen.
After that I went back to computer and made the corrections. Having that hard copy in front of you makes all the difference. I'll use the same technique on the second book as it just worked for me.

Editing is a pain. What I did was to print out a full version of my book and then go through it page by page and scribble down notes and corrections. So much easier to see things on paper than on a screen.
After that I went back to computer and made the corrections. Having that hard copy in front of you makes all the difference. I'll use the same technique on the second book as it just worked for me.

I did this for the first edit. Now I'm in a writing group and working through sort of two edits at the same time.

Either way, editing sucks. I'd love it if what I put on the page the first time was just perfect. But of course that's not how it works.

The big problem I have right now is a mass of ideas in my head wanting their own time on the page (I probably have half a dozen ideas for different books), but really wanting to focus on this one, get it reviewed, get it done, and get it out there.

Here's SECRET WEAPONS, a screenplay I wrote back in 2006, before anything I'd written had been sold or produced, but which never really did the Hollywood rounds because it was considered a tough sell. But I knew that going in and wrote it anyway as a labor of love - I grew up on classic World War II action/adventure movies like The Guns of Navarone, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes, and always wanted to write a movie in that vein as a kind of homage to all those classics, while also trying to find a way to put a little bit of a science-fiction spin on things.

I cooked this up with my old friend and colleague Dan Morris when we worked together at PC Gamer magazine. He and I developed the story and I wrote the script.

Disclaimer: This screenplay is very silly, very much representative of my level of writing ability way back in 2006, and in many ways grossly historically inaccurate, but hopefully a lot of fun - the objective was always to produce an old-fashioned two-fisted adventure more than a serious historical piece. I still hold out some small hope that this might find a home some day. In the meantime, enjoy, and I welcome your comments!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1534129/SECRET WEAPONS.pdf

Jintor

Here's SECRET WEAPONS, a screenplay I wrote back in 2006, before anything I'd written had been sold or produced, but which never really did the Hollywood rounds because it was considered a tough sell. But I knew that going in and wrote it anyway as a labor of love - I grew up on classic World War II action/adventure movies like The Guns of Navarone, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes, and always wanted to write a movie in that vein as a kind of homage to all those classics, while also trying to find a way to put a little bit of a science-fiction spin on things.

I cooked this up with my old friend and colleague Dan Morris when we worked together at PC Gamer magazine. He and I developed the story and I wrote the script.

Disclaimer: This screenplay is very silly, very much representative of my level of writing ability way back in 2006, and in many ways grossly historically inaccurate, but hopefully a lot of fun - the objective was always to produce an old-fashioned two-fisted adventure more than a serious historical piece. I still hold out some small hope that this might find a home some day. In the meantime, enjoy, and I welcome your comments!

Oh my god, gold. Thanks Gary. Examples are my balm.

Gary, how long did it take you to write that, to the best of your recollection?

Jintor

Just finished reading through it. Gary, that was exciting as fuck to read. I have no idea how cool it would be to watch.

Jintor

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it :) How the hell did you read it in 35 minutes ??

I'm a speed reader and it's relatively simple in structure (given how pulpy it is) so I didn't have to try and work out any weird stuff.

Inspirational stuff. Do you mind if I share it with some writing friends outside of gaf, or would you prefer to keep it here?

I'm a speed reader and it's relatively simple in structure (given how pulpy it is) so I didn't have to try and work out any weird stuff.

Inspirational stuff. Do you mind if I share it with some writing friends outside of gaf, or would you prefer to keep it here?
No go ahead, I put it on Twitter earlier too so it's already out there :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Writing-GAF, I have a question.

I failed at the NaNoWriMo that went on last year (I started, got deep into it, and then did the worst thing and bought Skyrim on release night), but I've had the writing itch ever since. I know I need to just buckle down and run with it, but I tend to start a story and have NO idea where it's heading (just like my NaNoWriMo submission!).

So my question is this...Is it common to have a really exciting idea for a story but not really have any idea why your story exists? If so, any tips/tricks?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Writing-GAF, I have a question.

I failed at the NaNoWriMo that went on last year (I started, got deep into it, and then did the worst thing and bought Skyrim on release night), but I've had the writing itch ever since. I know I need to just buckle down and run with it, but I tend to start a story and have NO idea where it's heading (just like my NaNoWriMo submission!).

So my question is this...Is it common to have a really exciting idea for a story but not really have any idea why your story exists? If so, any tips/tricks?

"Know your ending" is the defacto rule (at least for me) when writing anything. And it could change as soon as you get near to it, and that's perfectly normal, but at least you have to foresee how it ends up in a first instance.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
"Know your ending" is the defacto rule (at least for me) when writing anything. And it could change as soon as you get near to it, and that's perfectly normal, but at least you have to foresee how it ends up in a first instance.

That's sort of what I figured. I'm sure opinions will differ, but I feel like if I don't have SOME idea of how things will end up, I won't have an idea where I want to go with things (or why things are happening).

Cyan

Banned
The standard view is that there are two types of writers: the planners and the pantsers. The planners generally know things in advance, have an outline or at least a strong idea of where they want the story to go and what sort of stops there'll be along the way. The pantsers fly along by the seat of their pants, letting the story take them where it will, finding out what happens as it happens.

Planners get antsy and nervous when they try to write by the seat of their pants. Pantsers find it joyless when they try to plan everything in advance.

Ultimately, the answer is to figure out what works for you. If it makes you nervous and confused not to know where the story is going, then perhaps you should sit down and plan it out. On the other hand, if sitting down and planning it sucks out all the fun, don't do it!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The standard view is that there are two types of writers: the planners and the pantsers. The planners generally know things in advance, have an outline or at least a strong idea of where they want the story to go and what sort of stops there'll be along the way. The pantsers fly along by the seat of their pants, letting the story take them where it will, finding out what happens as it happens.

Planners get antsy and nervous when they try to write by the seat of their pants. Pantsers find it joyless when they try to plan everything in advance.

Ultimately, the answer is to figure out what works for you. If it makes you nervous and confused not to know where the story is going, then perhaps you should sit down and plan it out. On the other hand, if sitting down and planning it sucks out all the fun, don't do it!

I hate to say it, but I feel like I'm a tweener. I like to let things happen, but I like to know what NEEDS to happen to keep the story on pace.

It's like playing an RPG - you need to get the 4 crystals to break the seal to kill the overlord. How you do that, what happens in between, and all the associated antics are up the player. That's how I like to write.

It's the ending (you know, that damned overlord) that I can't figure out. I feel it most when I'm thinking of horror stories - I simply can't figure out WHY something is happening or what/where the thing chasing them is all about (or from).

Jintor

Man, I sat down and wrote a brief scene this morning and it's really got me psyched. I might just set it down for a while and work on an outline until NaNiWroMo though...

Cyan

Banned
Man, I sat down and wrote a brief scene this morning and it's really got me psyched. I might just set it down for a while and work on an outline until NaNiWroMo though...

You got a while til you need to worry about NaNo, dude! Stick with the writing, if it's exciting you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom