• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The X-Files S10 |OT| The Truth Is Still Out There - Mondays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
missed the last episode, does it look like it sets up another season?

That's what the movie should have been years ago. Finding William, and preparing for the impending invasion.

I Want To Believe had a relatively small budget. I think the hope was to make a big mythology movie after but Fox was likely disappointed with the box office numbers...

Cranster

Banned
I Want To Believe had a relatively small budget. I think the hope was to make a big mythology movie after but Fox was likely disappointed with the box office numbers...
what did Fox expect though opening up next to "The Dark Knight" with very little promotion?

Because the Black Oil isn't something that wants to work with the human population. AFAIK it's antagonistic because it's an ancient alien(™) parasite thing.

You're right, but I think they could have worked it in such a way that showed the black oil was maybe working with the cabal or something. Anything would have honestly been better than ALIEN DNA!!!

Its probably best to turn your reasoning off to the mythology arc. After it was revealed that Mulder's sister was a "light being", I was done.

I still love the show though, no matter how much Carter brings down Mulder and Scully on the mythology arc, all I need is a MOTW (like X-Cops), to bring me back in.

I think you're right. I did enjoy the MOTW episodes quite a bit.

I've just done exactly the same thing.

It's so jarring. It ends literally as it starts to get going. Like it's part one to a two parter...

I'm still pissed with how it ended.

Slaythe

I have not watched the finale yet.

I just watched episode 5.

When it aired, 5 seconds in and I knew i would hate the episode.

I can not believe they portrayed the muslim fear hate like this, it's so fucking pathetic. Hated it.

High Mulder barely makes up for this disgraceful piece of shit.

Fire Carter already.

/shrug I actually thought the fight scene between Mulder and the CSM agent was really well choreographed and shot well.

It was a bit out of place but I was thinking "shit I didn't know Mulder could do that" and it was still fun as hell to watch.

I agree. I thought it was cool watching Mulder kick ass like that. The directing wasn't ideal but I thought the fight itself was good.

Ogni-XR21

All in all it was not a good season/revival. While it was nice to have the show back it lacked a lot of what made the original show good. Lighting was way to bright, colors way to vivid and the music was a shell of the mood setting works from the original run.

I still don't get the love for episode 3, it was way too over the top and did not work for me at all. It was even worse on a second viewing.

The only episode that was ok was episode 2. It had a bit of a mystery/tension which all the others lacked.

My ranking is 2 >>>>>4>>>>>3=5>6>1

And I get that female actors are under a lot of pressure when it comes to looks, but I really hope GA goes a little easier on the botox treatments. I'd rather have some expression in her face, I'll gladly take some wrinkles for that.

Slaythe

So I watched the finale, it was alright.

Can't stand how they try to shove down our throat fake mulder and fake scully as replacements.

I mean now they're gonna make season 11 with those clowns, "sick mulder" that will get healed at the end and abducted Scully gone for half the show or more -_- .

I'm still not over the muslim = terrorists episode. This is disgraceful.

My rating would be :

Episode 2, Episode 4, Episode 6, Episode 3, Episode 1, Episode 5.

Daffy Duck

It's so jarring. It ends literally as it starts to get going. Like it's part one to a two parter...

I'm still pissed with how it ended.

Yeah, having slept on it I'm pissed about it too. That's not even looking at how rushed it all (this episode) was, I mean this type of story would be great over several episodes but to leave it like that..no way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The script writing required after that cliffhanger would be a lot, which worries me.

Its basically a softer version of Millennium's second season cliff-hanger, and they wrote themselves (somewhat) out of that corner easily enough.

Lousy way to finish the run though.

Real Hero

Its basically a softer version of Millennium's second season cliff-hanger, and they wrote themselves (somewhat) out of that corner easily enough.

In a horrible way that ruined the show, at least with this X Files it was so bad that anything they do will probably be an improvement.

CDX

I don't like that those new agents were in another episode.

Although I can remember even from the original seasons some of both Gillian's and David's criticisms about the show were the long shooting hours they both had to do for an hour long drama. IIRC sometimes 16 hour days, for 8 days, for each hour long TV episode. Most other hour long dramas have ensemble casts, so the burden of shooting the episode is more spread out between different cast members. X-Files has basically Mulder and Scully and they are in most of the same scenes together. I can't fault them for wanting to have time to do other things in life besides X-Files.

I still don't like these new people. I hope they are not on next season, if there is a next season.

The show still works when it's Monster of the Week. The lore episodes just don't work now.

Wrap it up and do another season of MotW, then ride off again into the sunset.

4/6 episodes were good, the first and last were poor.

Cranster

Banned
The show still works when it's Monster of the Week. The lore episodes just don't work now.

Wrap it up and do another season of MotW, then ride off again into the sunset.

4/6 episodes were good, the first and last were poor.
Nah, if anything we need more mythology episodes and more episodes in general. Say 10 episodes next season and 4 or 5 of them mythology focus and the rest MoTW.

The problem is not the mythology, the problem is Chris Carter.

Dude needs to stop writing The X-Files episodes like George Lucas needed to stop writing Star Wars movies.

I wrote up my thoughts on season 10 for a blog.

http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2016/02/a-look-back-at-x-files-season-10.html

I think you guys all already know what they are already though. Blah blah Carter sucks, blah blah Darin's knob tastes great in the back of my throat.

GRAGRGH ALEX JONES. GRAGRH STEREOTYPING MUSLIMS AND TEXANS. HEY DO YOU REMEMBER WE HAD A CHILD TOGETHER MULDER? REMEMBER? REMEMBER? REMEMBER THAT? WE GAVE HIM UP FOR ADOPTION REMEMBER?

But wasn't it nice when it was really well directed (episodes 2 and 4) or really well written (episode 3)?

Dalek

I can't believe this finale. I just started watching it and Skinner literally said "Hold on, Agent Einstein you're talking to a scientist."

JesseZao

Just watched the finale last night. Was just as bad as mushroom mulder, but for different reasons. It was just a plot spaghetti mess.

The first and last eps were total nonsense. They amplified all the worst tendencies of the old mythology eps, especially the season openers and closers. The scripts were awful and they were edited in this jarring, hyperkinetic style that felt like a trailer for some potboiler B-movie. There's no room for acting or character in those eps because they're so busy with all the plot.

- Mulder might die! Again!
- Smoking man returns!
- Reyes is still awful!
- Anti-vaxers and chemtrail loonies vindicated!
- Joel McHale as an Alex Jones type that we're supposed to take seriously, accept as the voice of the good guys, and even root for!
- Scully has to save the day Star Trek Into Darkness style!!

A lot of the middle eps were quite good! The actors had a chance to actually stretch out and get comfortable in the old characters again, and the writers had some fun with the scripts.

It's really weird to me that Miller and Einstein showed up in the last ep, in continuity. I was expecting them to be cute one-off "mirror universe" characters because their similarity to Mulder and Scully was so on-the-nose. It's weird to think that they were actually setting them up as possible replacements for Duchovny and Anderson, should they not return for later seasons.

Slaythe

You do realize Trump is gonna be the Republican nom for the US elections, right?

Which is EXACTLY why this kind of episodes is extremely distasteful and dangerous.

We sure as hell didn't need this.

It wasn't handled well, it didn't bring ANYTHING to the theme, it was just awkward and terrible writing. Completely free.

Bask in the glory.....

12794377_955029061211911_1528324497245554380_n.png

An interview with Chris Carter here.

On the cliffhanger:
Chris Carter said:
The X-Files has always ended on a cliffhanger. We never knew if there would be more episodes. So it’s no different than The X-Files ever was. If hardcore fans took it into consideration, it actually suggests that there will be more X-Files episodes, and it sets it up for more X-Files episodes. If everything had been resolved, it might have been the end of The X-Files. So take your pick.

On working out where it goes from here:
Chris Carter said:
Only in my head. I’ve written down some ideas. I’ve got a clear idea of how the first episode would go, if we go.

On whether or not Einstein and Miller were designed as potential replacements for Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny:
Chris Carter said:
No, they weren’t.

On other returning characters:
Chris Carter said:
I wanted Robert Patrick back, but he is on his own TV show so we couldn’t get him. It would have been nice to have [FBI Deputy Director] Kersh back on, but [James Pickens, Jr.] is also on a TV show. I got a call from Laurie Holden [who played Marita Covarrubius], who said she would like to come back, as would Veronica Cartwright [who played Cassandra Spender] but we were unable to find ways to use them.

There's more at the link.

Finally got around to finishing this and I thought it was pretty bad. Like worse than the worst parts of seasons 8 and 9 levels of bad. Not sure if I'd watch more even if they brought back a full season. The way they're moving the mythology forward is straight up cringeworthy.

Thanks for the link to the interview thecouncil.

CS: Were Einstein and Miller (Lauren Ambrose and Robbie Amell) brought in as a “test coupling” in case FOX wanted more episodes, but couldn’t get Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny?

Carter: No, they weren’t.

Not sure if I buy this lol.

^ After what Carter did to Reyes, I'm kind of scared of what he would do to Doggett lol.

Doggett actually kind of grew on me after a while and I kind of liked the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom