• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The X-Men movie universe time line and Q&A thread (MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninhead

Ok, nerd time for me!

If Jean didn't die, isn't the entirety of TW negated? Logan wanted to die because Jean was dead. If she's alive, he doesn't want mortality, and so on. Also, if he doesn't have adamantium, it's especially negated. I dunno. Only way he could get it at this point is Poccy, and that would create a whole new timeline in and of itself.

Ok, nerd time for me!

If Jean didn't die, isn't the entirety of TW negated? Logan wanted to die because Jean was dead. If she's alive, he doesn't want mortality, and so on. Also, if he doesn't have adamantium, it's especially negated. I dunno. Only way he could get it at this point is Poccy, and that would create a whole new timeline in and of itself.

eh eventually logan will outlive jean

its a standalone story and works regardless of what is going on in the broader universe

RE_Player

Finally just saw DoFP. After seeing it and reading this thread I have never been so conflicted about a movie and series. On the one hand there were clever scenes and the whole time travel aspect of the film felt like a welcome wrench in the standard super hero movie template. On the other hand this whole dual timeline it has established just seems like an excuse to wash away the bullshit movies of the series like X3 and Origins... On the other other hand I can't really blame the writers for wanting to throw up their arms and call for a reset.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, nerd time for me!

Everything except First Class and Days of Future Past has been negated. Whatever happens in the future remains unknown. Only FC and DOFP are canon now.

Why didn't they keep Emma Frost around in these story lines? Although here character wasn't as good as in the comic.

Yeah, that really pisses me off. One of the best characters in the comics put to complete waste thanks to bad writing, casting and acting.

Anyway, nice timeline OP. I'd completely forgotten how fucking terrible X3 and Origins were and this have brought back some bad memories.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yah, they spend the whole ending of saving Emma Frost out in First Class and then killed off the character before this movie starts.

Mr_Zombie

To be honest, all we got as an evidence is Magneto's words - a man who was imprisoned for the last X years. Emma's death could be easily retconned.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Finally just saw DoFP. After seeing it and reading this thread I have never been so conflicted about a movie and series. On the one hand there were clever scenes and the whole time travel aspect of the film felt like a welcome wrench in the standard super hero movie template. On the other hand this whole dual timeline it has established just seems like an excuse to wash away the bullshit movies of the series like X3 and Origins... On the other other hand I can't really blame the writers for wanting to throw up their arms and call for a reset.

Uhm, yea? lol

teiresias

Emma Frost might show up in Apocalypse I guess. They could make her one of the last mutants released from Trask's facilities where they'd been experimenting on her and, in fact, had just started using her to prototype the sequencing necessary for the future Sentinels. That results in her absorbing the power of this one mutant called "personality" and she emerges from that an actual character with charisma.

This, obviously, will require a recast of the character.

effzee

While I get that X3 wasn't great and had to be eliminated, I don't get why people are so angry at it or Ratner.

Singer is partially to blame for the whole fiasco with him bailing to go work on Superman and leaving Fox to either delay and lose our on their big ticket summer movie or to find a replacement. Considering the time constraints and what he had to work with Ratner pulled together a movie. I remember real concerns that it wouldn't meet the deadline for release.

Blader

While I get that X3 wasn't great and had to be eliminated, I don't get why people are so angry at it or Ratner.

Singer is partially to blame for the whole fiasco with him bailing to go work on Superman and leaving Fox to either delay and lose our on their big ticket summer movie or to find a replacement. Considering the time constraints and what he had to work with Ratner pulled together a movie. I remember real concerns that it wouldn't meet the deadline for release.

Singer wanted to do X3 (and 4, for that matter). He left to do Superman because Rothman was dicking him around for forever, refused to sign off on the budget that Singer wanted for X3/4, and put off as much as possible to even sign him back to direct. After a year or two of this, WB offered him the chance to revive Superman -- his dream gig -- with the budget he wanted and a deal right then and there.

The only person at fault here for Singer leaving to do Superman Returns is Rothman.

voodooray

There's an interesting nugget inside of that bent bullet site that I don't remember being used in the film:

"I did not shoot your president," Lehnsherr later told the jury. "But I know who did, and you'll never find her. She has a way of hiding in plain sight."

So Mystique was the one who kills Kennedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom