• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The X-Men movie universe time line and Q&A thread (MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all the plotholes and timey wimey stuff singer has successfully made the best comic book movie universe of all time.

Apocalypse is the only film in the genre I'm really excited about now.

Awesome OP.

Yeah I think the xmen 1-3 things might still play out but Xavier will be much more prepared for them

It's important for establishing Mystique's mission, which is like the crux of the whole plot.

Yeah but you'd think that after dedicating a scene to breaking out a team of mutants they would somehow have an action scene. We sorta just saw then make an appearance then vanish.

Nobody wants more scenes with the x-babies after first class. I'm surprised singer actually showed havok was alive considering he killed the rest of the last film's cast

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think there's still a lot of major mutants not seen in the peaceful 2023 finale. Any of them could be in real danger from Apocalypse. A more interesting thing than just killing random mutants (like say, Gambit) could be the worse than death fate: one of Poccy's horsemen is taken down so he kidnaps a replacement and converts them.

Plus it's X-Men - characters come back to life all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody who was alive in 2023 dies as a "surprise" to the audience in Apocalypse.

BTM

In order to fix the X-Men universe, Singer not only had to undo the damages done in Last Stand and Origins, but also erase what he created in X1 and X2. Singer did what needed to be done, even if it meant eliminating his own movies.

I think there's still a lot of major mutants not seen in the peaceful 2023 finale. Any of them could be in real danger from Apocalypse. A more interesting thing than just killing random mutants (like say, Gambit) could be the worse than death fate: one of Poccy's horsemen is taken down so he kidnaps a replacement and converts them.

Plus it's X-Men - characters come back to life all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody who was alive in 2023 dies as a "surprise" to the audience in Apocalypse.

Oh yeah, I forgot he's coming up in the next movie. :(

The Storm cameo in First Class is not completely wrong. If she's ~10-15 in the 60s, and +30 years to get the late 90s, she be 40-ish. Of course, she'd look really good for that age I suppose. :p

Halle Berry is in her mid 40s right now as it is, which shows how easily it could make sense.

Trike

They didn't need to bring Quicksilver to Paris. As far as they knew, they would be able to just talk her out of it. Not to mention that they probably didn't want to endanger a teenager any more than they already had. They were able to disable all of the cameras in the Pentagon, but the Paris Peace Accords were very public. If things went south (which they did) there is a good chance that he would be seen. He could have gotten away very fast, but he would still be stuck in Paris. Also they were already sneaking in there, and Quicksilver is the opposite of discreet. Not to mention, would he even necessarily have wanted to go? If he did he could have easily sneaked aboard.

I think Emma in Origins was supposed to be Emma Frost, considering that is how they advertised her. Just a horrible incorrect version of her, that they were easily able to sweep aside. But First Class didn't really gives much shits in regards to canon anyway.

Qvoth

you misplaced bone claws with metals claws on the question about wolverine's claws on DOFP and TW, at the end of TW logan got his claws cut but they were still adamantium right?

How come you dont have Wolverine and Sabertooth fighting in the American Civil war and WW1?

also,with the reboot, they can get a second chance at Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
you misplaced bone claws with metals claws on the question about wolverine's claws on DOFP and TW, at the end of TW logan got his claws cut but they were still adamantium right?
At the end of The Wolverine, his claws were bone. Silver Samurai cut through his adamantium ones which left only bone behind. His bone claws then naturally regenerated. The rest of his skeleton was still adamantium. This is why people were wondering why his claws were metal in DoFP when we last saw him having bone claws. The best reason people can deduce is that Magneto grafted the adamantium back on to them in the 8 years between the end of The Wolverine and the beginning of DoFP.

How come you dont have Wolverine and Sabertooth fighting in the American Civil war and WW1?

also,with the reboot, they can get a second chance at Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool.
I can add a quick note that they fought in the Civil War, WW1, and WW2 together.

Qvoth

At the end of The Wolverine, his claws were bone. Silver Samurai cut through his adamantium ones which left only bone behind. His bone claws then naturally regenerated. The rest of his skeleton was still adamantium. This is why people were wondering why his claws were metal in DoFP when we last saw him having bone claws. The best reason people can deduce is that Magneto grafted the adamantium back on to them in the 8 years between the end of The Wolverine and the beginning of DoFP.

I can add a quick note that they fought in the Civil War, WW1, and WW2 together.

really? might need to watch it again

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
really? might need to watch it again
No need, I grabbed a screen cap

Ju5HPFE.jpg

Replicant

Are Tempest and Angel the same person, AKA the girl with the dragonfly wings? Magneto isn't talking about the Angel from X3 when he is listing all the people that have died in DoFP, is he?

No, they are not the same. People are confusing Angel (from X2) with Tempest (from FC).

The reason for the confusion is because Tempest's real name is Angel Salvadore. Whereas the real name of Angel from X2 is Warren Worthington III. The writers confused viewers by making Magneto call her using her first name instead of her Mutant name.

lmpaler

That's not the movie's fault.

It's not a blank slate though. It's actually a mostly familiar slate.

You are right, but a simple line or two of dialogue could have easily solved that situation

To be quite honest Apocalypse is now the only X-Men movie I have ever been really excited to see because I fucking LOVE Apocalypse so I really hope they do him justice.

Bishop being in this movie really sold me in the beginning because I went in blind and when I saw him I got giddy hoping to see Cable too(but Scott being dead kinda killed that)

Now here is where I am a bit misled. Havok was in First Class and DOFP and First Class are on the same time line, but was that Havok in the Army Camp scene yet Havok is Cyclops YOUNGER brother so that would make Cyclops like 50 or even 60 in the DOFP ending since Havok is at least 18 in Nam in '73 unless he is actually his father in this timeline?

Also Quicksilver and Witch are twins in the Avengers rif I am to understand that right? Does he not age? She was little and sitting on his lap towards the end of DOFP and he was in his teens in DOFP so he is in his late 40's in Avengers and doesn't age?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
No, they are not the same. People are confusing Angel (from X2) with Tempest (from FC).

The reason for the confusion is because Tempest's real name is Angel Salvadore. Whereas the real name of Angel from X2 is Warren Worthington III. The writers confused viewers by making Magneto call her using her first name instead of her Mutant name.
I think you mean X3 ;)

You are right, but a simple line or two of dialogue could have easily solved that situation

To be quite honest Apocalypse is now the only X-Men movie I have ever been really excited to see because I fucking LOVE Apocalypse so I really hope they do him justice.

Bishop being in this movie really sold me in the beginning because I went in blind and when I saw him I got giddy hoping to see Cable too(but Scott being dead kinda killed that)

Now here is where I am a bit misled. Havok was in First Class and DOFP and First Class are on the same time line, but was that Havok in the Army Camp scene yet Havok is Cyclops YOUNGER brother so that would make Cyclops like 50 or even 60 in the DOFP ending since Havok is at least 18 in Nam in '73 unless he is actually his father in this timeline?

Also Quicksilver and Witch are twins in the Avengers rif I am to understand that right? Does he not age? She was little and sitting on his lap towards the end of DOFP and he was in his teens in DOFP so he is in his late 40's in Avengers and doesn't age?
All your questions are answered in the OP Q&A section...

Q: Aren't Havok and Cyclops brothers in the comics? How can Havok be in his late teens/early 20's in First Class while Scott is only like 30 in X-Men 1?
A: Chalk one up for the movie makers not giving a shit and wanting to use whoever they thought would fit in their movie at the time. I believe if they make any connection between the two, that they'll say Alex is Scott's dad.

Q: Who was that little girl with Quicksilver at the end of the movie? Was that supposed to be Scarlett Witch?
A: It might have been at the beginning, but Bryan Singer is quoted in Empire Magazine that the girl is NOT Scarlett Witch, aka Wanda Maximoff. In the interview he says that there was a cut throw away line where the little sister is bugging Peter and the mom interjects by saying, "Go upstairs and bug your sister!". The sister upstairs was intended to be Wanda.

And the Quicksilver in Avengers will not be the same one as in the X-Men movies. FOX and Disney each own a version of him. Avengers will not be able to reference the word "mutant" or that he's Magneto's son while the X-Men movies can not mention anything about the Avengers.

lmpaler

I think you mean X3 ;)

All your questions are answered in the OP Q&A section...

And the Quicksilver in Avengers will not be the same one as in the X-Men movies. FOX and Disney each own a version of him. Avengers will not be able to reference the word "mutant" or that he's Magneto's son while the X-Men movies can not mention anything about the Avengers.

This is completely stupid

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So glad to see that people who only watch the movies can finally be as confused as people who read the comics.

Buntabox

Logan relocates to Canada and and in the 6 year interim meets Kayla Silverfox, who is “killed” by Creed in 1985 (Origins)
Stryker finds Logan and offers to help him find Creed. Logan undergoes the Adamantium bonding process at Alkali Lake, giving him his metal skeleton and claws (Origins)
Sabretooth finds Scott Summers (age 15 or so) and delivers him to Stryker (Origins)

Wouldn't this be in 1979?

I've only seen the film once, but doesn't Three Mile Island take place at the end? Which happened in 79? This would shift your timeline for XO:W earlier.

I hate this movie. I don't know why I remember this.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So glad to see that people who only watch the movies can finally be as confused as people who read the comics.
Isn't it fun??!? I had to go through this entire thing at work today. Everyone kept asking me all these questions so I just linked them to this thread, haha.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't this be in 1979?

I've only seen the film once, but doesn't Three Mile Island take place at the end? Which happened in 79? This would shift your timeline for XO:W earlier.

I hate this movie. I don't know why I remember this.
That's exactly what I thought too. I did some fact checking and found out that Stryker was using the plant as a base since it was abandoned due to the melt down 6 years earlier. Wouldn't make sense to have his Weapon XI program there while the plant was fully operational.

Dice

Any theory on where all this super technology came from back in the 70s? Dude could have been Bill Gates x10 and he's busy making robots.

Buntabox

That's exactly what I thought too. I did some fact checking and found out that Stryker was using the plant as a base since it was abandoned due to the melt down 6 years earlier. Wouldn't make sense to have his Weapon XI program there while the plant was fully operational.

Wow, never would have guessed. Actually does make more sense. I assumed the filmmakers were just trying to play into a historic event for audience recognition. "OH it was THIS that caused THAT!" Sort of like the JFK thing in DOFP. The latter was better done, but it's become a fatiguing trope.

I have a feeling that Havok was saved in DoFP so that he could sire Scott some time in the 70's and eventually die fighting Apocalypse. Because there needs to be some sort of connection between them and between him and Gambit there aren't many mutants they can imperil. Beast has to survive, Xavier can't die, and the main team who'd be kids at this time (Cyclopes, Jean, Storm) aren't going to die.

We know Havok, he's been around since the 60's (in universe) and his death could actually carry some weight. They should have left Banshee alive so they could kill him in "Apocalypse" as well. He could have at least made Siryn that way.

Awesome first post, OP! Very informative

I didn't know Hank died that way in 2015 ;__; so gruesome...

So, just being curious, is Kitty's ability sending people's consciousness to the past part of her phasing powers or is it a separate, additional superpower?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome first post, OP! Very informative

I didn't know Hank died that way in 2015 ;__; so gruesome...

So, just being curious, is Kitty's ability sending people's consciousness to the past part of her phasing powers or is it a separate, additional superpower?
Separate power made up for the movie. I just imagine it as being an evolution of her phasing powers. In the comics, some mutants experience secondary mutations as they grow older. For instance, Emma's diamond form, is hers.

Mr_Zombie

Was the name "Tempest" used in FC? I seriously don't remember hearing it at all :x

Did they explain why things got so fucked in the 10-15 years after X3 and the 3-6 years after The Wolverine? X3 ended with a mutant joining the UN and a sympathetic US President. A decade later all-out war has decimated the entire world. Like, what was the *reason* the humans brought the Sentinals online?

See this: http://www.25moments.com

It's simple: bigots and politics. Just because it's all good now doesn't mean someone won't start anti-mutants policy later. And it looks like Sentinels were always online, it's just that with each iteration they were more and more powerful. And with growing movements that can be seen as "helping mutants" but in fact were anti-mutant (production of collars that surpress mutants abilities, creation of yet another mutant cure) the atmosphere just worsened.

And the all-out war was because at one point Sentinels stopped attacking just mutants, but they also started attacking people that were supporting mutants and people who carry the mutated gene (people who aren't mutants themselves but can give birth to a mutant).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Was the name "Tempest" used in FC? I seriously don't remember hearing it at all :x
It wasn't. I'm not even sure where people are getting that Tempest is Angel. I actually thought they renamed Riptide to be Tempest. It makes more sense seeing as his powers in First Class was to create mini tornadoes.

Any theory on where all this super technology came from back in the 70s? Dude could have been Bill Gates x10 and he's busy making robots.

In Watchmen technological breakthroughs are accelerated by Dr Manhattens appearence (they have floating cars in the 80's in the novel). Its not beyond reason that Trask had captured mutants that helped him invent some crazy shit. Hell they could have had microscopic mutants making microchips. Why did he not just focus on technology? Because he was already crazy rich and was worried about mutants usurping humans.

Two comments in regards to this:

-In the original timeline (A), Logan doesn't meet Xavier at the Paris Peace Talks, where he says to him "you're tripping on acid". That only happens in the alternate timeline.
-I just watched X1 this weekend, and there's not only nothing that contradicts Logan and Creed knowing each other, but Creed even takes Logan's dog tag and keeps it with him, even snatching it back after Magneto borrows it. I took this as a hint that they had a history together.

I agree that Origins mostly fucks up the story though. I guess it's a good thing that they start fresh now, since DoFP creates a new timeline in which none of the other movies, except First Class, took place.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Two comments in regards to this:

-In the original timeline (A), Logan doesn't meet Xavier at the Paris Peace Talks, where he says to him "you're tripping on acid". That only happens in the alternate timeline.
-I just watched X1 this weekend, and there's not only nothing that contradicts Logan and Creed knowing each other, but Creed even takes Logan's dog tag and keeps it with him, even snatching it back after Magneto borrows it. I took this as a hint that they had a history together.

I agree that Origins mostly fucks up the story though. I guess it's a good thing that they start fresh now, since DoFP creates a new timeline in which none of the other movies, except First Class, took place.
Gah, you're right. I'll fix that in the time line section.

I do make mention that Creed took Logan's dogtags as a sign of him having some kind of history with him.

Edwardo

Is there a reason people are saying Gambit could be in the next movie? Or is it just speculation based on hopes and dreams?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a reason people are saying Gambit could be in the next movie? Or is it just speculation based on hopes and dreams?
It's officially confirmed that he will be. Channing Tatum has signed on to play him and also do a solo movie after Apocalypse.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, thanks OP. It led me to countless wiki pages and made me even more excited for the sequel to come.

I need to re-watch DoFP soon.

Dice

They're going to defeat Apocalypse by challenging him to a dance-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom