• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Series X has a big DRM problem | Modern Vintage Gamer

AJUMP23

I noticed this the other day when I was moving and offline for a couple of days that it didn't want to let me play a game without an online check first. I knew this was always the plan and they just learned to implement it without talking about it. Don't mention the shady stuff.

ManaByte

Some people insist that Microsoft BC is good and Sony BC is bad, but this video shows well how it's not this simply and how the two approaches are different. Like I said before, Sony is the only that it's actually offering BC compatibility. The PS5 tries to work as an PS4/PS4Pro to make the games ran without additional work being necessary.
This DRM problem is not related is indirectly related to Microsoft's FC. Because Microsoft solution requires making specific patches and downloading new executables the system needs to check before allowing the user to play which leads to get caught in the DRM.

If you try to launch a digital PS4 game on your PS5 that isn't set as your Primary console, it won't work either. Take off the Kutaragi Armor for a minute and stop the disingenuous console war bullshit people.

sainraja

Okay here are my findings, as to why RE2 wasn't launching for him.

I tested with RE2 & RE3. My console is set as the home console and I disconnected the ethernet cable to test this and I think the reason RE2 wasn't launching for him might have to do with game save syncing (or might be a different reason -- nothing to do with finishing install, I will explain why). So anyway, I launched RE2 before disconnecting and I let it sync data but I did not launch RE3. Basically I never launched RE3 on my XSX (only on my XONX previously). I had the same issue as he was having with launching RE3 but I was able to launch RE2 without an issue (outside of the game hanging at the first screen for a little longer than usual.) Both RE2 & RE3 were fully installed on my external (which I think Bumble mentioned).

So it has to do with game save syncing as far as I can tell or perhaps games on an external drive need to be verified in someway online before launching. But I am not sure if the person in the video was launching from an external or the internal.

Last edited:

sainraja

If you try to launch a digital PS4 game on your PS5 that isn't set as your Primary console, it won't work either. Take off the Kutaragi Armor for a minute and stop the disingenuous console war bullshit people.
The guy in the video covers more scenarios than that of primary/home consoles. You should watch it and he does cover the home console option (which I think he could have done a little more testing with to identify any other specific reasons, as I found out.)

Pretty shady, especially after 2013 and saying they were changing things due to customer feed back. Guess that didn't stick.
It's not as simple as that. There are different reasons as to why some games work immediately while others don't (one of which is also applicable to the PS4/PS5 - the primary console or home console thing.)

Last edited:

sainraja

It's been like this since Day 1 on both the Xbox One and PS4 if the console isn't set as your Home/Primary.

Why do you think people cry about the "restoring licenses" thing on PlayStation?
I know you are always the one in almost any thread like this saying 'What about PlayStation?' but you have clearly not watched the video which covers more than just the HOME/PRIMARY console scenario. That's not all that is being discussed in the video or in this thread.

If PlayStation is also guilty of the same thing, it does not excuse Xbox (applies equally to PlayStation, ofcourse). lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

I know you are always the one in almost any thread like this saying 'What about PlayStation?' but you have clearly not watched the video which covers more than just the HOME/PRIMARY console scenario. That's not all that is being discussed in the video or in this thread.

If PlayStation is also guilty of the same thing, it does not excuse Xbox (applies equally to PlayStation, ofcourse). lol

It seems like this thread is only attacking one console for doing it though and ignoring the reality that both do the same thing for digital games when your console isn't set as Home/Primary.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This has zero effect on 99.99999999% of all xbox gamers. Next complaint?

I dont have to "BUY" gas for my horse and carriage!!

its an age where most people can get the internet on their phones. this isnt an issue. throw up a qick hotspot from your phone and continue.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Yeah. While I have an internet connection 99.99999999% of the time I have been without internet at certain times, like when I moved to a new house and it took 3 months until we got fibre and I had to do internet sharing through the phone just to pay bills etc.
I’m guessing this is just a quick ping to the servers though? A few kilobytes tops? So internet sharing on the mobile should work here as well. But it’s still bad. They better not close down any servers, ever.

exactly this.

there’s plenty reasons why someone might be without Internet for a period of time, you should still be able to play your games at these times.

ManaByte

exactly this.

there’s plenty reasons why someone might be without Internet for a period of time, you should still be able to play your games at these times.

Then be sure to set the console as Home/Primary before you get in that situation. I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T have their primary console set as that anyways.

sunnysideup

Banned
Modern vintage gamer is one of the best youtube channels out there for retro gaming and hardware/hacking.

He has ported fucking outrun to the amiga.

Xbox fanboys who try discredit him.........

RaZoR No1

He makes intersting Videos, but he should recheck the Xbox Home / Offline issue again.
For me all games work flawlessy on my Home Xbox console.
This issue/topic is known since the game sharing method and is there for a reason. Probably the same on Sony consoles too
Why the other games didnt work, is a concern and should be checked/redownloaded.

What is really interesting is, that Disk games do not work unless they are Native games.
This is not good and should be changed.

Then be sure to set the console as Home/Primary before you get in that situation. I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T have their primary console set as that anyways.
Dude. It's not only for digital games. That's the main issue. Listen to what people have been trying to tell you on several posts. Watch the whole video.

assurdum

Banned
It seems like this thread is only attacking one console for doing it though and ignoring the reality that both do the same thing for digital games when your console isn't set as Home/Primary.
Attacking? Did you at least watched the video? Aren't you the genuine enthusiastic gamer who never make console war?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Dude. It's not only for digital games. That's the main issue. Listen to what people have been trying to tell you on several posts. Watch the whole video.

The physical games are Xbox One games that run in BC and require a config file from the internet to run. THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME ON THE PS5 WITH PS4 GAMES and Sony even puts a disclaimer on the PS Store about it. In order for PS4 games to run on the PS5 the system must be updated VIA THE INTERNET with the latest version of the OS:
7o5QWFr.png

Sony doesn't sell PS5 system updates on a physical disc in stores, so the only way to update the system is via the internet, which is the same as the Xbox One BC config file for those games.

Three

He gets a message saying he needs to finish installing. So he either didn’t finish installing or he has a different license than the console it’s on, which is why I was wondering if he transferred the game from another console or has it installed on an external SSD. It’s no different than BC games, he connects to the internet and the correct install or license is completed.

You seem to believe, like him, that there is some list of games MS doesn’t allow you to play offline, that’s not accurate at all. Barring, of course, a game like Apex or something obviously.
The OS considers it as installed, however launching it requires an online connection which is why he gets that message.

elliot5

The OS considers it as installed, however launching it requires an online connection which is why he gets that message.
ive launched games never launched before, without an online connection, because I installed it when my xbox was already set as my home console. im not sure what situation he put himself in to reach that message.

Three

The physical games are Xbox One games that run in BC and require a config file from the internet to run. THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME ON THE PS5 WITH PS4 GAMES and Sony even puts a disclaimer on the PS Store about it. In order for PS4 games to run on the PS5 the system must be updated VIA THE INTERNET with the latest version of the OS:
7o5QWFr.png

Sony doesn't sell PS5 system updates on a physical disc in stores, so the only way to update the system is via the internet, which is the same as the Xbox One BC config file for those games.
You're conflating the issues. Needing the latest system software is not the same as requiring a per game online check for a file. The system update doesn't even need an internet connection if you can get your hands on it.

7o5QWFr.png

It's not "exactly" the same. So carry on being triggered.

ManaByte

The system update doesn't even need an internet connection if you can get your hands on it.

Please show a picture of how Sony sells the system software in stores. The only way to get it is via the internet.

They also don't post the PS5 firmware online yet so you can't install it via USB like you could on the PS3 and PS4.

ive launched games never launched before, without an online connection, because I installed it when my xbox was already set as my home console. im not sure what situation he put himself in to reach that message.

Doesn't matter if it gets clicks and a gilded post here.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I have a 4G router in my house, otherwise I wouldn’t have internet because of poor infrastructure. Yes this is 2021 and I’m not in a third world country.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I really don't know how one can get up every morning carrying this much concern around. I'll light a candle for you and hope you get better.
Like many have already said, the video is mostly wrong. But keep on trucking.
I pray....so hard....that one day some of yall come with this exact same energy about other topics.

Seriously.

jroc74

7o5QWFr.png

Do you seriously think you have to update the...system software...for each and every PS4 game ran in BC on PS5?

What you are saying is more like not being able to access the store on the console until I update to the latest system software. And this was the case on PS3, PS4 and probably PS5.

This is talking about the OS updates, not on a per game basis.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

7o5QWFr.png

Not true i installed nier offline and played it offline no issues. Same was true with yakuza like a dragon. What might be true is that not all ps4 games run on older firmwares.

sainraja

7o5QWFr.png

That's not the same thing ManaByte. lol

See my post regarding RE2 & RE3.

I think it has to do with game save syncing or the game being on an external drive where the system might need to verify ownership. I tried it myself on my XSX; the games I tested were RE2 & RE3 and I set up two slightly different scenarios. With RE2, I launched it before disconnecting my internet and with RE3 I did not launch it at all.

Since I launched RE2 before the disconnect, I had no issue getting into it but with RE3 it did not launch until after I reconnected and let it sync data, it showed the message before launching 'getting game ready' which I did not even see when I tried with no internet and my console is my home console.

Last edited:

Three

Please show a picture of how Sony sells the system software in stores. The only way to get it is via the internet.

They also don't post the PS5 firmware online yet so you can't install it via USB like you could on the PS3 and PS4.

Doesn't matter if it gets clicks and a gilded post here.
I don't understand why you keep trying to perpetuate this myth. I've already shown you that what you're saying is bullshit last month.

You can go and download it and it has instructions to install from a USB

I don't understand how you are trying to turn possibly needing the latest system software into needing an online connection when launching a game offline, but it's pure bullshit.

sainraja

I don't understand why you keep trying to perpetuate this myth. I've already shown you that what you're saying is bullshit last month.

I don't understand how you are trying to turn possibly needing the latest system software into needing an online connection when launching a game offline, but it's pure bullshit.
I think he's basically gone into Xbox defense mode. 🤷‍♂️

jroc74

Xbox has an issue with DRM...the answer "but ps5..." Out of my curiosity what would change if ps5 also has the same issue? It's no more an issue on Xbox?
No, what happened is before with the whole PS3, PS4, PS5 CMOS battery issue it became a huuuge problem.

Now....with whats seen as worse in some cases...its no big deal.

And so the circle of console warring continues.

assurdum

Banned

Because he has both console. No way his enthusiasm for gaming in general will be ruined to the fanboyism for one, don't be absurd.

Last edited:

elliot5

I wonder how big these config files for the BC games are (not the patches/smart delivery stubs etc). If they're small it would be nice for MS to have an offline cache of sorts for them to alleviate this issue.

Maybe something like Google's 'Now Playing' feature on Pixel phones. Some algorithm magic and compression to match up a key to a database for verification?

Seems to be a glitch if some games are working fine and others aren’t. I’ve never had that problem even while game sharing across three Xbone consoles and a Series X.

Either way when you switch from sharing to home, it’s always best to refresh the licenses on the content by reconnecting, and you have to go online to switch the home console back anyway.

It’s less DRM and more just how the BC system is set up.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think it's inconsistent on Xbox. Like I take my consoles to our vacation property when we go. And I have to tether it to sign in.

The other day I couldn't start NHL 21 so had to tether it and wait. But bringing it out of sleep mode the next day I didn't have to sign in. I'm wondering if a full shutdown requires a sign in first to activate the licenses. It's my only xbox and is set to home.

Also I find tethering awful on Xbox which surprised me, considering it was the console that touted it as an alternative. The PlayStation seems to just authenticate and I'm away (it's a secondary console so I can't play anything unless I am signed in). The Xbox seems to sign in but then really struggle to do anything. Same tether, same phone, same location. Not sure if Gold has greater demand for the first half hour on sign in

assurdum

Banned
Seems to be a glitch if some games are working fine and others aren’t. I’ve never had that problem even while game sharing across three Xbone consoles and a Series X.

Either way when you switch from sharing to home, it’s always best to refresh the licenses on the content by reconnecting, and you have to go online to switch the home console back anyway.

It’s less DRM and more just how the BC system is set up.
Another big issue I had on one X (don't know if it was just relative to my country) I can't download BC games without a Microsoft account. Don't know if it has been fixed but it takes months to me to understand why I coudn't download 360 games on my console with just my gold subscription and I had to go the MS store site and create a separate MS account to solve it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom