• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Series X has a big DRM problem | Modern Vintage Gamer

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think it's inconsistent on Xbox. Like I take my consoles to our vacation property when we go. And I have to tether it to sign in.

The other day I couldn't start NHL 21 so had to tether it and wait. But bringing it out of sleep mode the next day I didn't have to sign in. I'm wondering if a full shutdown requires a sign in first to activate the licenses. It's my only xbox and is set to home.

Also I find tethering awful on Xbox which surprised me, considering it was the console that touted it as an alternative. The PlayStation seems to just authenticate and I'm away (it's a secondary console so I can't play anything unless I am signed in). The Xbox seems to sign in but then really struggle to do anything. Same tether, same phone, same location. Not sure if Gold has greater demand for the first half hour on sign in
Not sure what Sony did different for the PS5 but it seems like its easier to switch between setting the console to home now. Like it automatically makes the other console not home and vice versa. I'm doing this with a PS5 in another home across town, so I cant physically check it to see.

Which is wild because IIRC XBO handled this better than PS4, early on at least.

sainraja

Seems to be a glitch if some games are working fine and others aren’t. I’ve never had that problem even while game sharing across three Xbone consoles and a Series X.

Either way when you switch from sharing to home, it’s always best to refresh the licenses on the content by reconnecting, and you have to go online to switch the home console back anyway.

It’s less DRM and more just how the BC system is set up.
I think it might also be a requirement of the system to verify games that are installed on an external drive; where it needs to verify ownership by connecting online. I will have to do the same test again later today with games being installed directly on the system (I am expecting not to run into the same issue, but we'll see.)

Three

Seems to be a glitch if some games are working fine and others aren’t. I’ve never had that problem even while game sharing across three Xbone consoles and a Series X.

Either way when you switch from sharing to home, it’s always best to refresh the licenses on the content by reconnecting, and you have to go online to switch the home console back anyway.

It’s less DRM and more just how the BC system is set up.
I'm thinking the same. Maybe something to do with those games being on GP and it not distinguishing the difference. Maybe worth investigating which games this happens to.

I think it's inconsistent on Xbox. Like I take my consoles to our vacation property when we go. And I have to tether it to sign in.

The other day I couldn't start NHL 21 so had to tether it and wait. But bringing it out of sleep mode the next day I didn't have to sign in. I'm wondering if a full shutdown requires a sign in first to activate the licenses. It's my only xbox and is set to home.
After tethering and signing in, turn off the console and unplug it. I suspect you would need to authenticate again when you plug back in because they cheaped out and didn't include a way of keeping the console authenticated.

Last edited:
Connect it then
What about when the service is gone? Wether or not you are online makes no difference in that case.

Amd the HDD/SSDs will fail.. how will you recover?

It's just another instance of MS being deceitful.

Obviously if you get the console for gamepass all of this is moot, but if this is the case you probably aren't a games who cares about games that much to begin with... I mean, having your games "collection" curated by someone else is the opposite of caring, it means that you'll just play whatever they choose for you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What about when the service is gone? Wether or not you are online makes no difference in that case.

Amd the HDD/SSDs will fail.. how will you recover?

It's just another instance of MS being deceitful.

Obviously if you get the console for gamepass all of this is moot, but if this is the case you probably aren't a games who cares about games that much to begin with... I mean, having your games "collection" curated by someone else is the opposite of caring, it means that you'll just play whatever they choose for you.
Back when PS3 PS Store was being taken down the paranoia was at the limits… now, it seems rosy 🤔.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When Microsoft eventually shuts down the Xbox Live 3.0 servers, it will affect 100.00000000% of all xbox gamers.

In 2065........nobody will care and the 2 that do will hack it. Still not seeing a problem here.....

intbal

In 2065........nobody will care and the 2 that do will hack it. Still not seeing a problem here.....
You're pushing that number way out.
If these online authentication systems had existed in the 80s, retro gaming would not exist in any form.
Nobody would play Nintendo games, or Genesis, PS1, et cetera.
The original Xbox Live lasted 7.5 years before Microsoft killed it. The 360 didn't require a connection to Xbox Live just to install or play games. Although a lot of the games need patches. No one knows for sure when MS will end it, but the clock is ticking on Xbox 360 support on Xbox Live. The same will happen to support for every old Xbox console, and it's not going to take 44 years. My best guess is that 20 years will be the lifespan granted to the Xbox Series consoles.

He's complaining about not being able to play the next gen Series X version of Hitman 3... without actually downloading the next gen version of Hitman 3... No shit it isn't included on the disc. Not enough space.

He also didn't have his console set as home xbox. If he did, his Series X titles like Resident Evil Village and Dirt 5 would have worked offline without problems, which he acknowledges in the video.

Going online to get the Series X files for your Series X if the "smart delivery" game detects an Xbox Series X is the "smart" part of smart delivery.

"Native Series S and Series X games can be installed offline without any issues whatsoever"

The reason smart delivery games for Series X don't install fully without connecting online is because the disc has the xbox one version of the game, the lowest common denominator likely due to disc space, requiring you to have an internet connection to download the next gen version of the game. I guess Microsoft is suppose to give people the option of playing the inferior last gen version of a game even if a superior next gen version exists for Series X? I don't get the complaint here.

As for Rise of the Tomb Raider, a backwards compatibility game not opening and playing right away, this game is quite a bit different from the version of the game that launched 2 years before Xbox One X was a thing. Xbox Series X now requires the download of the files that enable the below.

sT45qL6.jpg

Why wouldn't an Xbox Series X owner want the superior version of Rise of a Tomb Raider compared to what shipped on the physical Xbox One disc back in 2015??? You need to get online and download all of the following updates. HDR support, upgraded polygon detail, better AA, better texture filtering, better reflections, better volumetrics, dolby atmos support, improved textures, better environments, 4K resolution, 60fps instead of 30fps. This is why Rise the Rise of the Tomb Raider did not work on his Series X. It needed to download the Xbox One X enhancements.

And what they leave out regarding playing the last of us 2 on PS5 without being connected to the internet is that the game has none of the extensive updates that game has received since launch. So any issues, bugs, that's what you're getting for BC, not the updated version of the game. Hell, the game now even runs at 60fps on PS5 with new updates. He isn't getting any of that either without connecting to the internet on the PS5.

Says he's reporting all facts and no opinions, but then says Microsoft, despite the very clear shift in business strategy and increased commitment to gaming, is going to shut down the Xbox games store invalidating all of our purchases including Xbox One/Series X purchases.

There's zero evidence that will happen. What are his examples? It happened to Wii shop, wii ware, sony delaying ps3 store closure, and finally because it happened to the original xbox? Let's be real for a moment here. Where is the evidence of any of this in an Xbox Game Pass reality where Microsoft just purchased Bethesda for $7.5 billion and is pushing the ability to play 4 generations of games on Series X consoles? That's his opinion and I believe it's an incorrect one.

As for needing an internet connection to setup Xbox Series X in the first place, it's an internet connected device meant to operate on the internet... you can't even get most day one updates for games without an internet connection. You need to be online to active your amazon firestick, especially to update the damn thing. You require important system updates for Xbox Series X, so yes, you damn well better have it connected to the internet if you want to get the most from it.

As for Game Pass, it's a subscription service, duhhh you're going to need to be on the internet just like HBO Max, Disney Plus or Netflix, thankfully he acknowledges this part.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Why can't you play the games you own wherever you want?

I already do that. An internet check doesn't prevent me or 99.9999% of users from playing the games we have whenever they want.
Also you should keep in mind that technically, nobody ever really owns a game, even on disk it's technically a property licensed for home use.

dcmk7

Banned
I already do that. An internet check doesn't prevent me or 99.9999% of users from playing the games we have whenever they want.
Also you should keep in mind that technically, nobody ever really owns a game, even on disk it's technically a property licensed for home use.
The video in the OP shows that he clearly can't and he's bought the games.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

You're pushing that number way out.
If these online authentication systems had existed in the 80s, retro gaming would not exist in any form.
Nobody would play Nintendo games, or Genesis, PS1, et cetera.
The original Xbox Live lasted 7.5 years before Microsoft killed it. The 360 didn't require a connection to Xbox Live just to install or play games. Although a lot of the games need patches. No one knows for sure when MS will end it, but the clock is ticking on Xbox 360 support on Xbox Live. The same will happen to support for every old Xbox console, and it's not going to take 44 years. My best guess is that 20 years will be the lifespan granted to the Xbox Series consoles.

20 years will likely be fine anyhow, if we are on xbox 9000 or whatever, we either won't care or the market will drive ms to load the older games. Or someone will hack them if ms fails to deliver and demand is there. Not life threatening issues regardless.

THE DUCK

The video in the OP shows that he clearly can't and he's bought the games.

So your saying he can't connect to the internet to remedy the issue?
Next you will be saying if the power was out "he wouldn't have access" to the games he wanted. Or if his TV wouldn't turn on.

graywolf323

Deleting a game update in progress would delete the entire XBO game, not sure if this is still that way. PS4 its still separate.

I'm at the part where he's talking about Returnal. And yup, I have skipped the past few updates for that game. And I can still play it. But I cant do any of the game's online stuff. Sony is a lil more flexible when it comes to this.
it's still that way, bit me in the ass when I tried to cancel an update for CyberPunk 2077 so I could do the painting exploit glitch a few more times only for the entire game to be uninstalled *grumbles*

Cravis

it's still that way, bit me in the ass when I tried to cancel an update for CyberPunk 2077 so I could do the painting exploit glitch a few more times only for the entire game to be uninstalled *grumbles*
Damn, they fixed that? I will pour one out for you man. That really sucks.

Do people realize that the Xbox One (edit: accidentally said Xbox 360 version before) version of Rise of the Tomb Raider from 2015 is missing all the Xbox One X enhancements, and as such would naturally require a big update for a Series X to play the minimum game supported by the console? Just a repost from my last post.

N4azmee.jpg

The Series X doesn't play xbox one versions of titles that were Xbox One X enhanced unless it's an FPS boost game with the feature off by default, such as like Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
If its an issue that doesn't really affect anyone, is it really an issue or instead just something else to complain about?

I don't get why you're saying it's ok for someone to be in a situation where they are unable to use something they've purchased.

If that isn't an issue then what is.. only things which affect you?

Last edited:

intbal

Do people realize that the 360 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider from 2015 is missing all the Xbox One X enhancements...
Why would you ever put that version in any console other than an Xbox 360? It's not actually a backwards compatible title.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your post.

Why would you ever put that version in any console other than an Xbox 360? It's not actually a backwards compatible title.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your post.

Typo. I meant the Xbox One version of rise of the tomb raider. It was released in 2015, two years before Xbox One X launched, meaning for a console like Series X, it would want to download the much improved xbox one x enhanced version, which is why it didn't just play right out the box without internet, it needs the right version of the game, which it has to download.

Zeroing

Banned
Anyway…everyone now is writing about everything but the problem

The core problem here is, for example my tv can connect to the internet if I want, can I update it? Yeah but I don’t have to and it still works as advertised.

does my phone connects to the internet yeah, do I need to be online my phone to use the calculator app? No.

do I need to put my Blu-ray player online every time I want to watch a movie?

The core issue here is DRM and what it implies to us as a consumer! It implies we don’t own the game also implies the company doesn’t trust us after We payed 500 euros for a console plus a game!

Last edited:
Wow how these console reviewers missed that.

Need Internet at first time console boot - Understandable.
Need Internet at old gen title boot - I can live with that
Need internet for digitally bought game boots - Wtf, if true that's a huge deal breaker.

So it's a brick if your internet or Xbox Live is down? Sure it doesn't happen much but still inconvenient.

ManaByte

And what they leave out regarding playing the last of us 2 on PS5 without being connected to the internet is that the game has none of the extensive updates that game has received since launch. So any issues, bugs, that's what you're getting for BC, not the updated version of the game. Hell, the game now even runs at 60fps on PS5 with new updates. He isn't getting any of that either without connecting to the internet on the PS5.
Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This is only a problem if you literally have no internet but than who the hell does not have internet as a gamer in 2021? unless all your playing is older game console from the 6th generation and back lol

Wow how these console reviewers missed that.

Need Internet at first time console boot - Understandable.
Need Internet at old gen title boot - I can live with that
Need internet for digitally bought game boots - Wtf, if true that's a huge deal breaker.

It's not. Your Xbox Series X must be set as your "home Xbox." Remember, you can share games and subscriptions with friends by letting them sign into your xbox live account, but only the xbox that is given "home xbox" rights can still access digitally bought games without an internet connection.

Quasicat

That Xbox one planned DRM sneakily put back.
The big part about the Xbox One DRM that I liked, was how I could purchase a used game, put it in my system, and after the install, never need the disc again unless I wanted to trade it back in. If they’re going to start going back to original plan, I wished they would bring the disc option back.

The core problem here is, for example my tv can connect to the internet if I want, can I update it? Yeah but I don’t have to and it still works as advertised.

does my phone connects to the internet yeah, do I need to be online my phone to use the calculator app? No.

The core issue here is DRM and what it implies to us as a consumer! It implies we don’t own the game also implies the company doesn’t trust us after We payed 500 euros for a console plus a game!

The Xbox Series X is by its very nature a product highly reliant on reliable internet. Try using your cell phone without a talk or data plan at all, or without using wifi. Go right ahead, see how useful it is to you then.

Use your TV without a cable package or without utilizing any internet connectivity to utilize the smart apps like netflix or disney plus if you don't have some kind of service package. Try getting the most out of your amazon fire stick without internet.

Don't need to be on the internet to play your blu ray movie? I don't need to be on the internet to play my digital games on my Xbox Series X. I literally just yanked out my ethernet cable from my Series X and then launched Rise of the Tomb Raider. There's just a single requirement, make sure the console you attempt to access your digital content with is set as "My home Xbox."

You're using a calculator app example as if that's anywhere close to the primary reason you'd want to use your smartphone. For the primary reason that anyone would want one of these consoles, 4K next generation gaming, an internet connection is required for some things, the initial setup, important system and game updates/day one patches, and highly recommended for everything else (comfort, feature accessibility and flexibility, regular app/game updates, online play, but not explicitly required as I just launched Rise of the Tomb Raider WITHOUT my ethernet cable being plugged into the back of my Series X.

DaGwaphics

Next you will be saying if the power was out "he wouldn't have access" to the games he wanted. Or if his TV wouldn't turn on.

That's unfortunately an accurate representation of the "coherence" level of the arguments surrounding this "big" DRM issue. LOL

GP games will definitely load without an active internet connection on your "home" console. I believe you have to be online at least once every 30 days to keep that working. Not sure why the video creator had an issue with that.

And what happens when my internet is out for days or weeks?

You start to look for a more reputable provider. Even a 10 second connection via your mobile would do the trick for updating your last check-in date.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I don't get why you're saying it's ok for someone to be in a situation where they are unable to use something they've purchased.

If that isn't an issue then what is.. only things which affect you?

Lots of cases where this is normal and accepted.

If you buy an liter of ice cream but have no freezer, is it the ice cream makers responsibility to buy you a freezer? Melted ice cream cannot be used as intended.....

If you buy a smart TV, but have no internet, do you complain the smart TV doesn't work? After all, it cannot be used as intended.....

If you buy a car, but there is no gas in it, do you complain that the gas isn't included and cannot be driven as intended?

If you buy a car with wifi command start, but have no wifi, do you complain that you can't start the car?

If you buy a smart appliance, but have no wifi, do you complain once you can't use the diagnosis feature as intended?

If you have an ecobee thermostat, but can't access the unit from your phone as you have no internet, do you complain its working?

It's 2021, internet is required for money things, including games to function normally in most cases. This also includes the way a very high percentage of people now watch TV and movies.

And no I don't dismiss things that don't affect me, what I am saying is the percentage of people this actually effects is miniscule, to the point where the market won't care.

TLZ

Banned
use your phone. tethering
My phone has the shittiest service and coverage.

damn that'd be crazy but you can still play games you had previously installed, offline(y)
Does that work for all games?

I remember once my internet went off in the middle of a game and the Xbox kicked me out to the dashboard and lost all my progression. That really sucked. That was on Xbox One. Not sure if it's the same on Series X.

dcmk7

Banned
Lots of cases where this is normal and accepted.

If you buy an liter of ice cream but have no freezer, is it the ice cream makers responsibility to buy you a freezer? Melted ice cream cannot be used as intended.....

If you buy a smart TV, but have no internet, do you complain the smart TV doesn't work? After all, it cannot be used as intended.....

If you buy a car, but there is no gas in it, do you complain that the gas isn't included and cannot be driven as intended?

If you buy a car with wifi command start, but have no wifi, do you complain that you can't start the car?

If you buy a smart appliance, but have no wifi, do you complain once you can't use the diagnosis feature as intended?

If you have an ecobee thermostat, but can't access the unit from your phone as you have no internet, do you complain its working?

It's 2021, internet is required for money things, including games to function normally in most cases. This also includes the way a very high percentage of people now watch TV and movies.

And no I don't dismiss things that don't affect me, what I am saying is the percentage of people this actually effects is miniscule, to the point where the market won't care.
I think my response would be along same lines as this post, which Zeroing Zeroing has explained really concisely.

It's very possible and easy for MS to remedy this situation. It would be the pro-consumer move.

THE DUCK

Your also glossing over completely the fact that this system allows gamers to easily play on mutiple xboxes in the same house instead of locking them into one unit - a feature far more valuable than offline gaming for most people.

ManaByte

Your also glossing over completely the fact that this system allows gamers to easily play on mutiple xboxes in the same house instead of locking them into one unit - a feature far more valuable than offline gaming for most people.
Your XBL Gold is also shared. So anyone playing on those systems can also play online.

DaGwaphics

I think my response would be along same lines as this post, which Zeroing Zeroing has explained really concisely.

It's very possible and easy for MS to remedy this situation. It would be the pro-consumer move.

We have to find a situation to remedy first. The config file downloads for back compat aren't changing. Nor are the cross-gen BR disks going to suddenly become large enough to hold entire next-gen patches for games.

Those "issues" are static.

MS already supports offline play of installed titles, even the GP downloads. With that it mind it's difficult to see just what MS is going to address.

Top Bottom