• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got done playing through all of them and I have to say Word Soup and Weapon of Choice are the best ones. Atleast I think so :D. Cant wait to try out more games that hopefully go up next week.

homez99

There was a game that was taken down called DUOtris+, a nice little puzzle game where you have to put coloured blocks together as you play two boards at once, with the ability to switch the blocks as you control them. Yeah the rest are currently all up on the NXE preview.

Gowans

In a party with some other Gaffers, Lines is pretty simple fun too.

Word Soup is on those quiz machines (ItBox's) from the pub :lol Practice then I'll get the jackie!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I heartily endorse Weapon of Choice. Former Insomniac weapons programmer Nathan Fouts is the man behind in.

Buy this game.

sullytao

Really looking forward to this coming out. I remember having fun with a few of the demos earlier in the year.

Any word on whether Dishwasher Samurai will make launch or has it been turned into a full fledged XBLA title?

Oh dear. Brain party crashed my 360 when it showed the "trial expired" screen. Not an encouraging start to community games!

Gowans007 said:
I only checked a few, how are they?

They timed, one level or feature restricted? (or all?)
The ones I've played so far are all timed. I'm not sure if they're all the same length timer but I could hardly do anything in a couple of games I tried before the timer ran out.

Zachack

Psychotext said:
The ones I've played so far are all timed. I'm not sure if they're all the same length timer but I could hardly do anything in a couple of games I tried before the timer ran out.
Shorter or longer than the War World trial?

Gowans007 said:
do they have online leaderboards
I don't think so... or at least they didn't in the version of the API I saw a while ago.

Zachack said:
Shorter or longer than the War World trial?
I believe it's four minutes... so longer.

It really sucks for anything that isn't instant action though. They should really look at that.

Slavik81

*sigh*

I clearly need to do something better than what I was planning. I really wish you could put games up without charging for them. I mean, Culture is at the minimum price and nothing I could put up would ever even come close to that.

As one inexperienced programmer, it's a lot of pressure to try to give a minimum value equal to half an XBLA game.

Gowans

Slavik81 said:
*sigh*

I clearly need to do something better than what I was planning. I really wish you could put games up without charging for them. I mean, Culture is at the minimum price and nothing I could put up would ever even come close to that.

As one inexperienced programmer, it's a lot of pressure to try to give a minimum value equal to half an XBLA game.

I wonder if the XNA team and MS will see the success of the iTunes app store and the fact free or very cheap apps can be a incentive to see people pick up the phone and get into using apps. Seems to be a working model for the paid stuff too but guess we shall see.

Going to play Weapon of Choice tonight, I'll post my impressions after a decent play through.

Gowans

ultim8p00 said:
Wait, did I hear this right? Is dishwasher on XBLA NOW?

Always has been, it was a XNA created game that won joint first place in a competition to win a full fledged XBLA release contract.

ultim8p00 said:
Wait, did I hear this right? Is dishwasher on XBLA NOW?

Not now but rather it is now being made for XBLA instead of XNA Community Games apparently.

Also, MS knows people do think things to be free, but the thing is, imagine you went to a store and you had a section for free stuff and half pay stuff, or the entire store having content you have to buy, and know what to expect.

The first scenario, way more people would easily ignore any game you have to pay for, and just look at games which are free.

On the other hand, if they set your expectations up front, then you will go in and play all of the games and figure which ones, if any, are worth the cash.

It will be interesting to see if games will be given away free in the future or not.

homez99

Domino Theory said:
Music rhythm games? Insta-buy.

Head Banger, the one up at the moment is a bit dodgy but at this price you can't really expect the world. My favourite community games at the moment are Bloc, DUOtris+ and Lines, it seems this is going to be a nice portal for puzzle games. Weapon of choice is pretty fun and mad but the demo didn't give me enough time to play.

Gowans

just played through some more

Bloc is quite cleaver but far to hard for me at this time of night. looks like Communty games can have leaderboards too as this does.

too tired for the rest, Word Soup is defo the most polished but then its a direct port of that game that you can win money in pubs and bars for ages.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No offense Gowans, but the OP really needs to be filled a bit.

This is, for me, one of the biggest events in gaming history: crossing the line from console closed-infrastructure to the garage indie gaming community that has lived on PC for years and years, flourishing with original content. This is absolutely remarkable, and even more so considering it's coming from MS.

I've always thought MS was a short-term thinker, with the bad RRoD situation, the (still dumb) buying of DLC content exclusivity that ultimately won't get them anywhere in the long term. But this XNA Community initiative shows that MS is in it to win it, and this will cultivate a loyal stream of indie devs for the years to come. Both MS and the indie devs deserve as much success as they can get.

Such an amazing thing...I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Gowans

chubigans said:
No offense Gowans, but the OP really needs to be filled a bit.

This is, for me, one of the biggest events in gaming history: crossing the line from console closed-infrastructure to the garage indie gaming community that has lived on PC for years and years, flourishing with original content. This is absolutely remarkable, and even more so considering it's coming from MS.

I've always thought MS was a short-term thinker, with the bad RRoD situation, the (still dumb) buying of DLC content exclusivity that ultimately won't get them anywhere in the long term. But this XNA Community initiative shows that MS is in it to win it, and this will cultivate a loyal stream of indie devs for the years to come. Both MS and the indie devs deserve as much success as they can get.

Such an amazing thing...I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

I know, totally will it was just to quickly get some talk going round the XNA stuff for the poeple who are playing but for an official thread I'll flesh it out.

Might have to wait till after the weekend ready for Wednesday.

LOVING Weapon of Choice, the art and style of the game is great but its really fun to play. Love the flame thrower weapon that can be boosted to really make you fly ,the exending guns, the way your devices can crawl across the scenery for you but most of all I love the arcrobatic jumping and slowing down when you nearly die, got out of some very close scrapes in such an awesome fashion.

Pretty hard tho or maybe I'm just tired ;)

I love seeing that a lot of these games are 200 points. If that trend of 200-400 point games continues, this could create a lot of impulse buys like iPhone games. A few of those games look really neat.

Rlan

Being in Australia, we don't get community games. However - a US account does allow me to download demos.

I've played demos of Fuel Depot... eh. and I've also played Being. Being seems kind of cool, reminds me of the late 80's shareware. For 200 points I'll probably bite.

I currently have 500 MS Points in my US account because of that car competition thing. So I'll probably buy Weapon of Choice, assuming it lets me.

Any idea on where to get cheap US points? :p

Slightly OT, but I wonder how long it'll be until MS rolls out the official XNA and appstore for the Zune. It's there now unofficially if you compile the programs yourself, but IIRC MS was talking about a holiday official release, after XNA 3.0. Seems logical for them to move the focus over to that after the NXE is out the door.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Weapon of Choice looks like Earthworm Jim crossed with Doom Troopers with enemies inspired by Metroid. Which is a recipe for awesome.

King Dork

Hi. Just doing a little grass roots marketing here. My game will also be coming out on Community Games, although the game won't make the launch. Probably sometime in Feb. or March the game will be ready for release.

Here's a couple of screenshots.

screenshot2jp4.jpg

screenshot3ps6.jpg

Just played Weapon of Choice and Lines. Both are awesome. The WoC creator is a genius and must have been on Acid when he made this.

Gowans007 said:
yeah all have trials just like XBLA

The only difference is they are all time trials. If you don't/can't finish the level before time runs out who have to reload they game. At 200 points though some of these games are worth purchasing.

Rlan

I just noticed something, I've only been able to test this with the demos, but can you ONLY play Community games while connected to Xbox Live?

Sean

Banned
PIMPBYBLUD said:
The only difference is they are all time trials. If you don't/can't finish the level before time runs out who have to reload they game. At 200 points though some of these games are worth purchasing.

Developers actually have a few ways of handling their XNA game trials as seen here.

It seems like most devs so far have went the "Do Nothing" route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom