• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XXII Sochi Winter Olympic Games / Ski And Skate Against Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsuna

I think Londons closing ceremony was better simply because it had "take that-Rule the world " lead into the cauldron being blown out with the fireworks circling around the stadium

and the spice girls

and we will rock you until jesse j showed up

Peru

It's been emotional *bearteargif*

Now to go grab the highlight clips / observe as youtube stops hunting down olympic uploads.

Blader

Only saw the last half hour of the ceremony, but it was pretty cool. Fantastic music, great lights.

Good Olympics, looking forward to Pyongchang in 2018.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kinda sucks how you have to wait 2.5 years for the winter -> summer transition but not as long for summer -> winter :D

TCRS

Banned
haha I didn't see that bit with the fifth ring not opening. well done Russia.

e: I mean in the closing ceremony. I obviously saw it in the opening ceremony.

Kinda sucks how you have to wait 2.5 years for the winter -> summer transition but not as long for summer -> winter :D

Unless you want the Winter Olympics to take place in the Summer :D

Wouldn't work anyway since each Winter Olympic year takes place on a World Cup year

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there an official Sochi OST with music from the Opening an Closing ceremony?

I know there must be a Blu ray preorder somewhere too (Not getting the NBC one)
Yeah, they usually release soundtracks for both opening/closing ceremonies. I haven't seen any for Sochi on Amazon/iTunes yet, though. I have the Vancouver ones. London's should be up on Amazon..

Weird. The Opening Ceremonies should be on sale already.

zroid

Banned
It bugs me how the WO / World Cup and SO / Euro are in the same years. Someone should bite the bullet and slide the schedule by a year. Odd years are so boring without gigantic international sporting events. D;

Although Pan Am games in 2015 here in Toronto should be fun. I need to start looking into tickets. Maybe I'll volunteer.

It bugs me how the WO / World Cup and SO / Euro are in the same years. Someone should bite the bullet and slide the schedule by a year. Odd years are so boring without gigantic international sporting events. D;

Although Pan Am games in 2015 here in Toronto should be fun. I need to start looking into tickets. Maybe I'll volunteer.

You also have the Copa in 2015 as well

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno if I'll volunteer. I was thinking about it because of the loan forgiveness and it'd be a neat experience, but I live in the 'burbs so it might be pain in the butt to get around and it might be hard to juggle with work.

Still thinkin' about it.

Join us in the Brazil World Cup thread in 4 months. Come watch the Beautiful Game.
GAF WC/EC threads are usually really fun, at least the ones I've posted in. I'd encourage it. Plus we get more than one OT and lots of gifs. :p

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Are there any infos who provided floor projections? Some say that it has been the same company that made that stuff in London.

Join us in the Brazil World Cup thread in 4 months. Come watch the Beautiful Game.

I will, even if our team did not qualify :)

It's nice that I am a big track and field fan and those have World Championships every two years on the odd years (2013, 2015, 2017, etc)

Pedrito

Best thing about the Olympics is the final montage at the end. Hopefully NBC uses "Titans Spirit" as usual. It's epic. CBC didn't show theirs. I guess they're saving it for the encore tonight.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Is there a .gif of dousing the olympic flame by that bear? :)

Also, 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow also had bear for mascot.

Speaking about mascots, here is the list for all OG. Youth olympic games mascots will haunt you in your dreams, I do not know what were they smoking in Innsbruck :D
229px-Yoggl_-_Gala_Nacht_des_Sports_2011.jpg

theowne

Marie-Philip Poulin also made a comeback to defend gold, but I guess we already had a women's hockey player carry the flag the opening ceremony. Anyways, we had lots of great options.

It's probably a bad idea in terms of team morality and togetherness to make an individual out of a team be the flag bearer because she made the winning shot or whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You mean the Hamilton games, right? lol

leroidys

A lot of European countries have a lot of juggernauts too. Really depends on your preference. Lots of awesome stuff came about throughout Europe during and after the Renaissance and beyond.

Russia owns the 19th and 20th century IMO. To go from all musical instruments and secular music banned in the 17th century to having the greatest composers in Europe in the 19th century is pretty incredible. Sure they don't have the strong Renaissance and early opera traditions, but they may have even been better off for it.

Downhome

Can anyone link me to the Canadian bobsled crash? My wife missed it and I was just telling her about it but can't find video anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom