• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XXII Sochi Winter Olympic Games / Ski And Skate Against Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Well it's over. Was nice chatting with you guys in this thread. Maybe see some of you in the World Cup thread, and then if I'm still here (as are you), see you in the Rio thread. I always feel weird after every Olympics because it just shows how quickly time moves. I have a good memory, I've watched every Olympics religiously since Barcelona and Albertville 92, and you see numerous people start their careers, end them etc. It was a reminder of how old I'm getting too, hearing them call guys like Shaun White too old now etc.

While I don't like the corporate greed, advertising and other issues associated with the Olympics, I love how every 4 years, they bring the world together unified in the power of sport.

Duke Togo

Well it's over. Was nice chatting with you guys in this thread. Maybe see some of you in the World Cup thread, and then if I'm still here (as are you), see you in the Rio thread. I always feel weird after every Olympics because it just shows how quickly time moves. I have a good memory, I've watched every Olympics religiously since Barcelona and Albertville 92, and you see numerous people start their careers, end them etc. It was a reminder of how old I'm getting too, hearing them call guys like Shaun White too old now etc.

While I don't like the corporate greed, advertising and other issues associated with the Olympics, I love how every 4 years, they bring the world together unified in the power of sport.
Well said. The older I get the more emotionally invested I seem to get into the games. Watching great athletes rise to the occasion and the feeling of the world being a bit less shitty and hostile for two weeks is nice. Then I become a miserable shit for a day or two after it all ends.

Quick

Banned

inqvCijlQlFfc.gif

Well said.

s_mirage

Well said. The older I get the more emotionally invested I seem to get into the games. Watching great athletes rise to the occasion and the feeling of the world being a bit less shitty and hostile for two weeks is nice. Then I become a miserable shit for a day or two after it all ends.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I was spoiled as the first Winter Olympics that I remember vividly was Albertville 92 which was then followed by my all time favourite, Lillehammer 94. I just wish that they were always that frequent.

On Demand

Banned

I've never fully watched an Olympics before. Over the years I've watched a few games from each of them, but never engrossed like I did for this Olympics. This is the first time I've kept track of all the games, woke up each day looking forward to all of them. I don't know why that is. Maby it's because I'm getting older. And because I want to feel apart of something.

I'm 29. I'll be well into my 30's by the time the next Winter Olympics happens. It's crazy when you think about it. Time really does move fast. I would love to go to an Olympic event. These things don't happen too often.

Edit-

The closing ceremony looks so much better on TV.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Always get sad when the olympics are over :( Something about watching them is such an awesome experience.

2016 can't come soon enough!

Chris R

Next two games are in much better time zones, so I got that going for me. Might take time off for the winter games, but I'd probably also need to take a vacation to Canada or something to get non-NBC coverage :(

So the Olympics ended and NBC never really gave me an answer to this question: Why in the holy hell did Meredith Viera and Matt Lauer fill in for Costas those few days instead of actual sports personalities like Mary Carillo, Cris Collinsworth or Al Michaels. Can anyone tell me?

Tamanon

Banned
So the Olympics ended and NBC never really gave me an answer to this question: Why in the holy hell did Meredith Viera and Matt Lauer fill in for Costas those few days instead of actual sports personalities like Mary Carillo, Cris Collinsworth or Al Michaels. Can anyone tell me?

Because it wasn't a job for sports personalities. The personalities are there to provide their insight, not to anchor.

Because it wasn't a job for sports personalities. The personalities are there to provide their insight, not to anchor.

The two men I mentioned are hosting the Closing Ceremonies. Mary is an NBC sports reporter. Nothing was happening at that desk that these people weren't capable of. They also know sports. I dunno. Matt and Meredith are awful though.

theowne

Just caught the montage. It ended and went straight to the National talking about the problems in Ukraine. Kind of like hitting home "Hey buddy, your Olympic bubble is over, this is the real world".

Tabris

Take out your nationalistic pride for your own anthem, and you would be hard pressed to find a better anthem than the Russian national one.

Peru

That wasn't surprising, the venues looked very good before start, and the athlete accomodation as well. The issues with media hotels were funny but not really as big a deal as some thought.

For sure it will remain the most expensive olympic games for many years to come though.

Socreges

Banned
Are U.S. media sources the only ones who arrange the medal count by total medals? Seems like everyone, including the IOC, uses Gold to rank countries, while the U.S. uses total medals. Conveniently, this also has the U.S. place higher... :p

Bigfoot

Are U.S. media sources the only ones who arrange the medal count by total medals? Seems like everyone, including the IOC, uses Gold to rank countries, while the U.S. uses total medals. Conveniently, this also has the U.S. place higher... :p

Yes... at least until the USA finishes an Olympics with the most Golds but not the most medals. That will likely make them reconsider for that year.

Xcrypto

Banned
I have HD recording of both opening and closing ceremonies.I can send if anyone wants.
See you guys in next Olympics (preferably winter one ).Sochi 2014 will be one of the my best Olympics experiences.

Bigfoot

Interesting part about the Winter Olympics vs the Summer Olympics is that a lot more countries can end up on top of the medal count. With the Summer Olympics, it is usually China, USA, and Russia at the top (last Olympics was the only exception).

Last 4 Winter Olympics Top 3:

2014: 1) Russia, 2) Norway, 3) Canada
2010: 1) Canada, 2) Germany, 3) USA
2006: 1) Germany, 2) USA, 3) Austria
2002: 1) Norway, 2) Germany, 3) USA

Last 4 Summer Olympics Top 3:

2012: 1) USA, 2) China, 3) Great Britain
2008: 1) China, 2) USA, 3) Russia
2004: 1) USA, 2) China, 3) Russia
2000: 1) USA, 2) Russia, 3) China

baekshi

Banned
Yeah, despite some of the initial #sochiproblems (which were hugely overblown IMO), the games went very smoothly.

That 50 billion though. Holy shit.

half of it was paid to judges and athletes to get that medal count. Mainly looking forward to 2018/2020. Hope the next summer olympics goes smooth..

Pedrito

half of it was paid to judges and athletes to get that medal count. Mainly looking forward to 2018/2020. Hope the next summer olympics goes smooth..

I can already tell how it will go:

2015: Major construction delays and cost-overruns

June 2016: Security concerns/ticket sales are lagging/"Will Brazil be ready?"

August 1st-August 4th 2016: "There's a coackroch in my hotel room"/"What, the water isn't drinkable?!!?"/"These are gonna be the worst games ever"

August 5th-August 21st 2016: Fun, fun, fun

August 22nd 2016: "Brazil has arrived!"/"All those fears weren't warrented"/"The volunters were sooooo nice!"

2017: Rio de Janeiro Organizing Committee surprisingly announces a profit of 20 millions $

2019: An offical inquiry reveals major corruption problems and fraud

2020: Venues start to rust.

They're basically following a script at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom