• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 2010 Winter Olympics Thread - "Angry Wayne Gretzky is Angry" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
5dl6p0.png
392-jones-jennifer.jpg

Less than a month away, let's get this started :D Being the only Olympic host country that has hasn't won a gold medal at home, this year, Canada is out for blood... some gold blood ! Will Canada's "C" stands for Choke or Champion ? Only time will tell.

Medal Counts:
TBA

Websites of Interests:
Vancouver 2010 Official Website
2010 Winter Olympics Wikipedia Site
CTV Olympics

Quick Facts:

When: February 12, 2010 - February 28, 2010

Where: Vancouver, BC... not Vancouver, WA

Who: 97 nations around the world (image courtesy of Wikipedia with slight edit from me)

alnt4n.png

The Schedule At A Glance:

35jfse9.png

(image courtesy of Wikipedia)

The Sports:
80px-Alpine_skiing_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Biathlon_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Bobsleigh_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Cross_country_skiing_pictogram.svg.png
80px-Curling_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Figure_skating_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Freestyle_skiing_pictogram.svg.png
80px-Ice_hockey_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Luge_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Nordic_combined_pictogram.svg.png

Alpine Skiing.........Biathlon.............Bobsleigh......Cross-country Skiing....Curling.........Figure skating.......Freestyle Skiing...Ice Hockey............Luge.........Nordic Combined

100px-Short_track_speed_skating_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Skeleton_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Ski_jumping_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Snowboarding_pictogram.svg.png
100px-Speed_skating_pictogram.svg.png

ST Speed Skating........Skeleton...........Ski Jumping........Snowboarding.....Speed Skating
(images courtesy of Wikipedia)

Broadcasting:
Australia - Nine Network, Foxtel
Brazil - Rede Record
Canada - CTVglobemedia, Rogers Media
Czech Republic - Česká televize
Denmark - EBU
Germany - ARD, ZDF
Finland - YLE
France - France Télévisions
Europe - Eurosport
Hong Kong - Cable TV
Indonesia - RCTI, Global TV
Italy - RAI, SKY Italia
Japan - NHK, Fuji TV, Nippon Television
Mexico - Televisa, TV Azteca
Netherland - NOS
New Zealand - SKY Network Television
Philippines - Solar Entertainment
Poland - TVP
Russia - VGTRK
South Korea - SBS
Slovenia - RTV Slovenija
Spain - RTVE
Ukraine - NTKU
United Kingdom - BBC, Eurosport
United States - NBC Universal

The Venues:

front.jpg

BC Place
  • Opening and Closing Ceremony

18528.jpg

Canada Hockey Place
  • Ice Hockey (Men)

cypress2.jpg

Cypress Mountain
  • Freestyle Skiing
  • Snowboard

nips4.jpg

Richmond Olympic Oval
  • Speed Skating

Vancouver%20Pacific%20Coliseum.jpg

Pacific Colliseum
  • Figure Skating
  • Short Track Speed Skating

Thunderbird_Arena_594.jpg

UBC Thunderbird Arena
  • Ice Hockey (Women)

vancouver-olympic-centre---at-play_70imgGalBig-wt.jpg

Vancouver Olympic Centre
  • Curling

Whistler_Creekside_594.jpg

Whistler Creekside
  • Alpine Skiing

whistler-park.jpg

Whistler Olympic Park
  • Biathlon
  • Cross-Country Skiing
  • Nordic Combined
  • Ski Jumping

whistlerbobsleighskeletonnight.jpg

The Whistler Sliding Centre
  • Bobsleigh
  • Luge
  • Skeleton

WHY HOCKEY IS IMPORTANT TO US:

crosby-olympic-torch.jpg
2010-team-canada.jpg

and because if we don't win gold in men's hockey this year, I don't think Vancouver will survive the ensuing riot. That's how we roll in Vancouver.

MISC. FUN STUFF:
stephen-colbert-sports-illustrated.jpg
6a00d83451d02e69e2012875bbdb04970c-500wi
3293607695_4dc8f13a7d.jpg
59508e7342f9961dec45c3c09b46.jpeg

• Stephen Colbert has given us his seal of approval and he will be doing his show here during the Olympics.
  • The torch looks like a you-know-what that is often associated with laid-back hippies.
  • Vancouver 2010 volunteer will be sporting the very sexy blue colour for ease of identification.

NetMapel

For Those In Vancouver:

2010 Host Country Plan - It has all the road closures and suggestions on how to get around.
Travel Smart 2010 - Another site that has traveling information for the Vancouver region
Translink - The region's transit provider

image0.jpg

Here's a map that briefly outlines the roads to be closed for the game.

Support the Olympic streetcar line:
olympic-line.jpg
--->
streetcar_map.jpg

Guess what ? It's totally free ! This is a demonstration line for the potential of future streetcar feasibility in Vancouver. Traveling to Granville Island will never be easier.

The PARTIES:
Plenty of free or cheap parties happening at all the participating countries' showcase houses.

Lots more places can be found here on this website: http://www.citycaucus.com/2010freevenues

Then there is the Cultural Olmpiads. Check out their event listings !

In Depth Schedule:

All time are in Pacific Standard Time. Use world clock converter such as timeanddate.com for time conversion.

4rdawo.png
2zq7n15.png

szeux0.png
2eyks3c.png

2j3iubp.png
11vpqmp.png

161aute.png
hv2deu.png

oicbpy.png
2925vyd.png

2rztbvs.png
2zdrtig.png

2j1vd6o.png
11ky26q.png

b4jigp.png
2uz5ld2.png

157i4p5.png

(images are courtesy of Vancouver 2010's Official Website)

Mik2121

van_2010_logo.jpg

You would think the logo designer would be some professional and not a 5 years old kid...

Anyway, I also didn't know snowboard was an Olympic sport! But then again, I don't know much about Winter Olympics :(

castlegar

Great OP :D

Count me in - living in Vancouver and looking forward to the public mess that February will bring. And I'm even working for the Games over the course of the month doing media stuff.

If Vancouver can get their shit together it should be good times

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny, in 2002 I was excited as fucking shit for the Olympics. I even ran around in a stupid Canadian flag after the hockey gold medal win... 8 years later AND it's in Canada and I couldn't care less. Of course, this whole "Canada has to win the olympics!!!!" thing just seems rather silly when on March 1st, no one will give a shit again.

Although, I do remember one thing from 2006 - the Johnson sisters. :lol

torinofullcurling.jpg

Dead Man

I love me some winter Olympics but the time difference with Australia is a killer,and I know local TV is going to show nothing but skating, with a little bit of ski jumping just in case the Aussie girl does well.

idahoblue said:
I love me some winter Olympics but the time difference with Australia is a killer,and I know local TV is going to show nothing but skating, with a little bit of ski jumping just in case the Aussie girl does well.

Sad shit this :(

Every (male) person I've talked to has been really enthusiastic about seeing some hockey, funnily enough.

Of course, Channel 9 aren't going to show shit.

Fuckers.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Mik2121 said:
van_2010_logo.jpg

You would think the logo designer would be some professional and not a 5 years old kid...

Olympic logos are usually minimalistic in design. London took "professionals", and look at their fiasco.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
rhfb said:
Wish I had the dough to go :( And Vancouver is so damn close to Alaska too :(
:lol

Yeah.. In the same way that Seattle is close to Mexico :lol

pringles

Nice thread. I'm beginning to get excited.

Judderman said:
Every four years, one sport completely takes a hold of me. Curling is that sport.
That is true for me too. Curling is what I'm looking forward to the most apart from hockey :lol

Big-E

If any Gafers are travelling to watch the games, I welcome you to our glorious city and hope you have a good time. Rule number 1, bring an umbrella.

Bananakin

Canada came fifth in gold medals and third in overall medal count at the last winter olympics. Given that the host nation usually has a bit of a boost, we might have a shot at coming first this time.

Big-E

What I really can't stand is the whole "I believe" ads about Canada winning gold on home soil. No fucking shit we are as we have had huge success the past 15 years in the Olympics both winter and summer. Belief is nothing to do with it, it is fucking inevitable. We should be believing about most golds won, not caring about a single one.

Falch

Cannot wait for speed skating, I'm expecting around 10 Dutch medals for that including atleast 2 gold medals (Kramer on 5k and 10k). It's gonna be glorious.

Great OP btw.

Brinbe

Great job OP, can't believe it's almost here.

But from the way we've hyped this, which, to be fair, is expected as hosts, we better do fucking well this time. Need to finish in that top 3, at least. Although, I have a feeling, and I'm not kidding about this, that the nation's mood will probably solely depend on the Men's hockey results.

Big-E said:
If any Gafers are travelling to watch the games, I welcome you to our glorious city and hope you have a good time. Rule number 1, bring an umbrella.
I'll be heading out to BC. Staying with a family friend in Port Moody, who has a cat, and I'm allergic to cats. It could well kill me.

That's my Olympic dedication.

Big-E

The only thing I don't like about the inukshuk is that it isn't really representative of BC. Logo should have been BC centric and not Northern specific.

rhfb said:
Wish I had the dough to go :( And Vancouver is so damn close to Alaska too :(

Ok, we like to make jokes about Americans lack of geography skills, but come on now. Look at a map. Vancouver is closer to Las Vegas than it is to Anchorage. Hell, it's probably closer to Phoenix, Arizona.

oh god getting to work is going to be hell for those two weeks

the influx of girls from other countries, however, will not be

Nikashi said:
Um, aren't those just states in the UK rather than seperate countries?

I think he may have meant England and Scotland. (Great) Britain is the island which contains england, scotland, and wales. These are all countries that are part of the UK along with northern ireland.

Your question is akin to implying that France is not a country because it's part of the EU.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What is Pakistan and India doing in the Winter Olympics?
(I'm Pakistani btw, was just wondering)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
GraveRobberX said:
What is Pakistan and India doing in the Winter Olympics?
(I'm Pakistani btw, was just wondering)

What are you doing in this thread?
(I'm Indian btw, was just wondering) :p

actually i am just as surprised as you are o_O

Nikashi

Banned
Wormdundee said:
I think he may have meant England and Scotland. (Great) Britain is the island which contains england, scotland, and wales. These are all countries that are part of the UK along with northern ireland.

Your question is akin to implying that France is not a country because it's part of the EU.

It was the Britain part that threw me :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Can't wait. Even though my country totally sucks at the Winter Olympics, I am always a huge fan of Ski Jumping, Speed Skating and all forms of the sled.

lupin23rd

Mike Works said:
oh god getting to work is going to be hell for those two weeks

the influx of girls from other countries, however, will not be

Well said. I am a block from the speed skating oval and not sure what roads if any are being closed around that time.

Of course I am also a block from the Dutch Heineken (party) House :D

Wonder where the North Korean delegation will be partying it up...

Koodo

Banned
It really is embarrassing that Canada failed to win any gold medals back in Calgary. I can understand losing in the summer games (and that's a stretch), but winter? Hello, I have snow in my yard for more than half of the fucking year.

Anyhow, the torch is passing by my university this week apparently, but I have lectures at the same time. :(

NetMapel

Updated OP with some transportation info. Seems like some Vancouverites haven't been informed of the road closure time.

Slappy967

Neo Member
I'm all in for the curling love being shown! As an American I have no idea why I stopped to watch it last time but it became my Winter Olympic obsession so watching it in HD this time will be great! I am also looking forward to watching Team USA hockey attempt to win a medal after the last few awful performances. Going to be lot's of fun and I really wish I could be in Vancouver live for this. Ah well off to watch Miracle and get ready for some hockey action!

Firestorm

1 month until two week Olympic break =) I plan to stay home and not go outside. Why? Because VANOC had a horrible ticket selling system and I got nothing =( I hope I can get into Colbert's show at least.

NetMapel

Firestorm said:
1 month until two week Olympic break =) I plan to stay home and not go outside. Why? Because VANOC had a horrible ticket selling system and I got nothing =( I hope I can get into Colbert's show at least.
Plenty of free or cheap parties happening at all the participating countries' showcase houses.

Then there is the Cultural Olmpiads. Check out their event listings !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom