• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XXII Sochi Winter Olympic Games / Ski And Skate Against Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

jBrkbqgEnh9M.jpg

7-23 February 2014

Daily schedule

New events:
Ski slopestyle
Snowboard slopestyle
Snowboard parallel special slalom

Additions:
Figure skating team event
Women's ski jumping
Mixed relay biathlon
Ski half-pipe
Team relay luge

Medal Count:
ji8F8Dy0VQClC.jpg

Venues:

In Sochi town:

fiht1-693X520.jpg

Fisht Olympic Stadium - Ceremonies

2512BOlshoy-693X520.jpg

The Bolshoy Ice Dome - Ice Hockey

shayba.icehockey.430.jpg

Shayba Arena - Ice Hockey

iceberg.skating.palace.430.jpg

Iceberg Skating Palace - Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating

ice.cube.curling.430.jpg

Ice Cube Curling Center - Curling

alder.arena.430x305.jpg

Adler Arena - Speed Skating

Mountainside:

biathlon.xcountry.laura.430.jpg

Laura Cross-Country, Skiing and Biathlon Center

sanki.430.jpg

Sanki Sliding Cente r- Bobsleigh, luge, skeleton

rosakhutor2.430.jpg

Rosa Khutor Alpine Center - Alpine Skiing

rosakhutorextremepark.430.jpg

Rosa Khutor Extreme Park- Snowboard events, Freestyle Skiing

skijumping.430.jpg

RusSki Gorki - Ski Jumping, Nordic Combined

General information:
National broadcasters
Official apps

Enjoy!

here for CURLING

I am more pumped than I was for vancouver, the competition for both men and women should be great during these games.

And Biathlon! I wish it were more popular in the New World.

Nordic Combined and Snowboarding are always fun, too.

Peru

Oh yeah slopestyling, one of the new events. Solid addition I think, riders still developing their style but some crazy shit.

I feel extremely conflicted about watching these games.

I hate all the bigotry being displayed on the world stage, with the Olympic committee basically turning a blind eye to it. But I want to support our athletes, especially the ones that are taking a stand against the hate.

There also seems to be a huge cloud of dread that hangs over the games.

>_<

Peru

I feel extremely conflicted about watching these games.

I hate all the bigotry being displayed on the world stage, with the Olympic committee basically turning a blind eye to it. But I want to support our athletes, especially the ones that are taking a stand against the hate.

There also seems to be a huge cloud of dread that hangs over the games.

>_<

Important LGBT rights advocates are going there to represent their country for the opening ceremony, making a stand instead of boycotting and not saying anything - I think that gives a signal about how to deal with this.

These olympics will bring more focus on human rights issues and ugly policies no matter what the government wants. Several athletes have said they'll speak their mind. And yeah, the sports will be magnificent.

Important LGBT rights advocates are going there to represent their country for the opening ceremony, making a stand instead of boycotting and not saying anything - I think that gives a signal about how to deal with this.

These olympics will bring more focus on human rights issues and ugly policies no matter what the government wants. Several athletes have said they'll speak their mind. And yeah, the sports will be magnificent.
I know there will be a lot of people standing up for what's right, and that's awesome, but I'm worried about what's gonna happen to them in retaliation.

I think it's shameful how the the IOC has handled this.

Peru

Good crowds for just the qualification rounds for slopestyle is a good sign for attendance. Hopefully the same goes for all sports.

I know there will be a lot of people standing up for what's right, and that's awesome, but I'm worried about what's gonna happen to them in retaliation.

I think it's shameful how the the IOC has handled this.

Nothing will happen to the athletes or visitors speaking up, obviously, the organizers are still trying to keep up an image here.

IOC are cowards, don't want to let that ruin athletes' achievements or the work of the folks on the ground working hard to make the events run well though.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Anybody else has problem with nbcolympics.com?

I can't even get the tv listing to come up.

Fucking excited. Been looking forward to this for a month now. I will send 100$ over Paypal to the first person that quotes this post if Norway doesn't win the womens cross-country skiing 4x5km relay on the 15th.

Here for the Cross Racing events.

The Cross events are amazing. Probably the best of the recent additions.

DarkFlow

Banned
Fucking excited. Been looking forward to this for a month now. I will send 100$ over Paypal to the first person that quotes this post if Norway doesn't win the womens cross-country skiing 4x5km relay on the 15th.

The Cross events are amazing. Probably the best of the recent additions.

You're on! I have a feeling they might be a lock lol.

Sochi seems far from prepared for hosting the games - the premises seem to be falling apart or something, so I wouldn't go out of my way to watch the games.

Peru

Sochi seems far from prepared for hosting the games - the premises seem to be falling apart or something, so I wouldn't go out of my way to watch the games.

This is not true at all - all the venues look ready and reports say the conditions are great for athletes and spectators. The problems have been with accommodation for media.

How will you be watching the games Peru? I signed up for the free month of TV2 Sumo, but I'm not exactly pleased by the amount of commercials they ran during the slopestyle. If the event is indicative of how they will be covering the games, the loss of NRK is bigger than I imagined, and I might try out one of the VPN solutions instead. For you Canadians and VPN'ers, does the CBC run a lot of commercials during the games? What other English speaking alternatives are there?

You're on! I have a feeling they might be a lock lol.

While I can afford it, I wouldn't have made the bet if I wasn't confident I would not have to part with my 100$. I cannot imagine a scenario which doesn't involve breaking of bones, severe illness or some rampant performance enhancing drug use
assuming Norway aren't the ones cheating and being disqualified
that leads to Norway not winning this event.

Two man luge ftw!

World%2BCup%2BLuge%2BYwUiHr51W9gl.jpg

Someone have a link to that Canadian the Olympics have always been a little gay commercial?

Peru

How will you be watching the games Peru? I signed up for the free month of TV2 Sumo, but I'm not exactly pleased by the amount of commercials they ran during the slopestyle. If the event is indicative of how they will be covering the games, the loss of NRK is bigger than I imagined, and I might try out one of the VPN solutions instead. For you Canadians and VPN'ers, does the CBC run a lot of commercials during the games? What other English speaking alternatives are there?

Job seeker at the moment so I can watch it all on an actual tv (rikstv), hopefully the tv2 channels there will cover most. Commercials suck, may have to turn to streams for some stuff.

CassSept

Definitely will watch ski jumping #bestsport

Maybe I'll catch some of curling too, I never managed to watch it 4 years ago due to scheduling but since Russia is closer to European time zones I'm planning on watching it this time. Looks like a hilarious competition

?

Watching the streams right now, There's only a 60 second preroll.

Atrophis

Definitely will watch ski jumping #bestsport

Maybe I'll catch some of curling too, I never managed to watch it 4 years ago due to scheduling but since Russia is closer to European time zones I'm planning on watching it this time. Looks like a hilarious competition

Listen up son, there is nothing hilarious about Curling. Its a tough, brutal sport. Wimps need not apply. When these teams are out on the ice you better believe some stones are getting slid in anger. Now stick that in your broom and smoke it.

Angst

I tried TV2 Sumo, but they insisting on using the shit Microsoft Silverlight, which of course doesn't work on Ubuntu... :(

For English alternatives I imagine the BBC iPlayer is the best option. You'll need a VPN of some sort though.

Amir0x

Banned
Awww yiss, it's time for the Sochi Winter Curling Games 2014! I can't wait to watch me some curling, I'm going to watch the fuck out of them rocks and brooms.

Every winter olympics, curling is always my heart <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom