• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theory: Skyrim for Switch will have HD rumble and maybe motion controls

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
the HD rumble implementation could be pretty cool. easy on the motion controls bros, make that shit optional and not fucking 'waggle-tastic.'

Do something with your life and make it a ban bet.

Eh, I just don't see Skyrim running well on the system, or it ever being a title that would sell well on a Nintendo console. It's an old game and a poor fit for the system. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel it has a good chance of getting scrapped.

Crayon

I am always looking for an excuse to buy that shit/brilliant/shit game again. I'm on like 4 purchases now. Let's see how deep this hole goes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Have you tried it? Basically every impression I've read has been astoundingly positive on this feature. It certainly depends on how easy it is to implement for stuff like I mentioned in the OP, but if it's not terribly different from normal rumble then I don't see why it won't enhance the gameplay immersion.

My money is on somewhere in between. Judging by the footage comparison it looks quite similar to the remastered version, but again we don't know if that was running on Switch hardware.

I've tried all kinds of advanced and prototype haptics in the medical and surgical field for research purposes. And i've found that the only form of haptics worth anything are the ones that involve variable resistances and weight accompanying physical 1:1 movement.
'HD Rumble' as Nintendo described it is just a more advanced form of rumble that'll be able to convey a sense of the location of the vibration inside the joy-con. I honestly struggle to see the use past the simple marble game you see in 1,2, Switch.

How do you think it'll translate into anything gamechanging in a game like Skyrim?
What you described in the OP sounds extremely inconsequential and sometimes even annoying. Then again, I hope to be proven wrong!

I had some hope that the Xbox One's 'Rumble triggers' actually could simulate variable resistances, because that would have tons of cool potential options in games. Sadly that turned out to be a disappointment.

I've tried all kinds of advanced and prototype haptics in the medical and surgical field for research purposes. And i've found that the only form of haptics worth anything are the ones that involve variable resistances and weight accompanying physical 1:1 movement.
'HD Rumble' as Nintendo described it is just a more advanced form of rumble that'll be able to convey a sense of the location of the vibration inside the joy-con. I honestly struggle to see the use past the simple marble game you see in 1,2, Switch.

How do you think it'll translate into anything gamechanging in a game like Skyrim?
What you described in the OP sounds extremely inconsequential and sometimes even annoying. Then again, I hope to be proven wrong!

I had some hope that the Xbox One's 'Rumble triggers' actually could simulate variable resistances, because that would have tons of cool potential options in games. Sadly that turned out to be a disappointment.

I mean, videogames are typically very good at immersing you through your senses of sight and hearing, but don't do much to immerse you via touch. If you see on the screen that your character's hands are enveloped in fire, and simultaneously you feel a fire "crackling" in the controller (which, judging by the impressions of 1, 2, Switch seen in the OP should very well be possible) then you don't see how that adds to your sense of immersion?

Maybe it would get annoying for some people, which would likely be why you can usually turn rumble off in game options. But for me personally (and judging by a lot of the responses in this thread) it would add a whole new layer of immersion to the game which typically has gone largely unfulfilled. It connects you to your in game character via sight, sound and touch now, rather than just sight and sound.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I mean, videogames are typically very good at immersing you through your senses of sight and hearing, but don't do much to immerse you via touch. If you see on the screen that your character's hands are enveloped in fire, and simultaneously you feel a fire "crackling" in the controller (which, judging by the impressions of 1, 2, Switch seen in the OP should very well be possible) then you don't see how that adds to your sense of immersion?

Maybe it would get annoying for some people, which would likely be why you can usually turn rumble off in game options. But for me personally (and judging by a lot of the responses in this thread) it would add a whole new layer of immersion to the game which typically has gone largely unfulfilled. It connects you to your in game character via sight, sound and touch now, rather than just sight and sound.

Yeah, but while this reads amazing on paper (or a webpage for that matter), it's implementation in practice is very likely to disappoint. That is, if you truly think that 'HD rumble' is the thing that will 'connect you to your in-game character with touch'.
It's a fine idea and I agree that it would be amazing if it were implemented well, but I remain wholly unconvinced that the Switch will be able to provide the level of haptics required.

There's bleeding-edge medical hardware out there that's fifty to five-hundred times the price of a Nintendo Switch and not even they can fully realize the level of touch that you describe. And these are products where the level of touch the surgeon experiences can literally change the outcome of a surgical procedure.

So while I think 'HD rumble' could quite well be a neat addition and provide a more direct and responsive form of rumble, I don't expect it to change the world just yet.

Yeah, but while this reads amazing on paper (or a webpage for that matter), it's implementation in practice is very likely to disappoint. That is, if you truly think that 'HD rumble' is the thing that will 'connect you to your in-game character with touch'.
It's a fine idea and I agree that it would be amazing if it were implemented well, but I remain wholly unconvinced that the Switch will be able to provide the level of haptics required.

There's bleeding-edge medical hardware out there that's fifty to five-hundred times the price of a Nintendo Switch and not even they can fully realize the level of touch that you describe. And these are products where the level of touch the surgeon experiences can literally change the outcome of a surgical procedure.

So while I think 'HD rumble' could quite well be a neat addition and provide a more direct and responsive form of rumble, I don't expect it to change the world just yet.

Yeah I can't really argue with that assessment. I haven't used it yet so I have no idea how the marble game feels, but just going by the impressions some users have shared it sure seems like its impressive technology. I guess it will come down to how accurately it can portray these sensations, yeah.

Though even if it's not as accurate as high end medical equipment (which it obviously won't be) any sort of improvement in tactile feedback for games is a welcome change. If it's an improvement to the level described regarding that marble game then I think it'll impress a lot of people in Skyrim.

hatchx

Banned
Eh, I just don't see Skyrim running well on the system, or it ever being a title that would sell well on a Nintendo console. It's an old game and a poor fit for the system. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel it has a good chance of getting scrapped.

You really think it'll be scrapped? That's an asinine theory considering it's already in development and due this fall. The game already runs fine on X360. The game is a medieval fantasy very much like Zelda.

I can understand why you might think it won't sell well, but to be all-out scrapped, again, is asinine. I'll bet you an NES classic it doesn't happen.

Baleoce

I was looking over the two gameplay examples they showed during the first reveal trailer again, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for them to implement HD rumble into this game in particular.

Example 1

This one is a no brainer, dual wielding is so common, and can be done comfortably in any mode the Switch is in. Either in docked, tablet stand, or handheld modes. It doesn't necessarily need motion control ability (as the trailer doesn't demonstrate this in any way), but just the feel of the types of weapons you're using, and a focus on immersing you through these sensations.

Example 2

We know the Pro controller also has HD rumble support. It got me wondering though. Do we think it'll be dual HD rumble? One motor on the left and one on the right? I do hope so, as that would fit in nicely with the idea of maintaining the effect of dual wielding when you use this controller. It would be a really great sensation come to think of it having two unique types of rumble on either half of the same controller. For example, one portraying magic use, and the other a sword. I wonder how feasible this is to implement. But also, perhaps both motors might combine to create unique effects for the player under certain scenarios. Like some kind of object flowing between each hand, like it's passing through the controller itself. Or a more potent rumble for 2 handed weapons.

The Wii U Pro controller had a single motor and the rumble was pretty weak. I hope considering the cost of these peripherals they at least go all out in this regard and create a unique experience with them.

I was looking over the two gameplay examples they showed during the first reveal trailer again, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for them to implement HD rumble into this game in particular.

Example 1

This one is a no brainer, dual wielding is so common, and can be done comfortably in any mode the Switch is in. Either in docked, tablet stand, or handheld modes. It doesn't necessarily need motion control ability (as the trailer doesn't demonstrate this in any way), but just the feel of the types of weapons you're using, and a focus on immersing you through these sensations.

Example 2

We know the Pro controller also has HD rumble support. It got me wondering though. Do we think it'll be dual HD rumble? One motor on the left and one on the right? I do hope so, as that would fit in nicely with the idea of maintaining the effect of dual wielding when you use this controller. It would be a really great sensation come to think of it having two unique types of rumble on either half of the same controller. For example, one portraying magic use, and the other a sword. I wonder how feasible this is to implement. But also, perhaps both motors might combine to create unique effects for the player under certain scenarios. Like some kind of object flowing between each hand, like it's passing through the controller itself. Or a more potent rumble for 2 handed weapons.

The Wii U Pro controller had a single motor and the rumble was pretty weak. I hope considering the cost of these peripherals they at least go all out in this regard and create a unique experience with them.

Regarding the pro controller, I'm willing to bet that it will have two separate motors (or whatever type of actuator system they're using) just like the Joycons. Everything they've said so far indicates that the pro controller will have everything the Joycons have except for the split configuration (and probably accelerometers) so it would be odd if you couldn't experience the same type of rumble as with the Joycons.

Also, just by looking at them, you can see the two grips look like they're different "sections" of the controller, so it wouldn't surprise me if the rumble actuators are in those grips.

13ruce

Banned

It's portable Skyrim it will sell.
Not gangbusters but enough to justify the port.

cand

I already want it. Portable Skyrim is the best chance I finally beat the game. I hope we get HD rumble features.

Mithos

If Bethesda couldn't be asked to fix 5 year old game bugs that still reside in the game for the Special Edition (that the community have long since fixed) than I don't see them spending money to integrate exclusive hardware features on the Switch version.

This is one of the biggest let down and a no buy scenario happening if Nintendo and Bethesda do not allow mods like "Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch" and similarly bugfixes from community on the Switch version of the game.

Zexen

That would be great yeah, but I mean, we are talking about Bethesda here, you shouldn't keep your hopes high.

I wish to be wrong, but I expect the Switch port to be made with costs as low as possible.

Zarovitch

That would be great yeah, but I mean, we are talking about Bethesda here, you shouldn't keep your hopes high.

I wish to be wrong, but I expect the Switch port to be made with costs as low as possible.

Me too. By I hope we are wrong.
Cause a quick port will probably be no buy for me.

I'm expecting this to be a key game shown off at E3 for Nintendo and that's why it was saved for this Fall. They'll show the HD Rumble features of a AAA Western game (old of course), but it's coming from Bethesda.

Given that Nintendo is working closely with Bethesda and there have been more games announced for HD Rumble, I see no reason to doubt the possibility of HD Rumble for Skyrim, in my opinion.

levyjl1988

Banned
I already bought Skyrim when it first came out on the Xbox 360, man I dedicated 1000's of hours on just the vanilla version.

I again bought the HD remaster and it wasn't enough.

Rebuying it on the Switch would be fantastic as I can play it on the go.
If that were the case, then I expect the use of HD rumble in it as well for immersion and to compensate for the graphical fidelity.

So Nintendo's recent Q&A had a very interesting and relevant tidbit (thanks to KingSnake for pointing it out):

It seems that Nintendo confirmed he was showed the 1, 2, Switch HD rumble demo earlier this year, which heavily suggests this is indeed what he was talking about- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170203.pdf -answer 3 here talks about them showing 1, 2, Switch to developers like Todd Howard who were impressed:

Google Translate said:
Since last year we introduced Nintendo Switch to various development companies using software such as "1-2-Switch", but at that time, many people are interested in new ways of playing Todd Howard of Bethesda Game Studio, who was developed "Skyrim", already showed favorable reactions according to the video message streamed in the Nintendo Switch presentation

So if anything I'm way more convinced now that Bethesda got on board with Skyrim specifically to use the HD rumble in the ways I described in the OP. I'm incredibly excited to feel this and see how much it really adds to overall immersion.

Zedark

So Nintendo's recent Q&A had a very interesting and relevant tidbit (thanks to KingSnake for pointing it out):

It seems that Nintendo confirmed he was showed the 1, 2, Switch HD rumble demo earlier this year, which heavily suggests this is indeed what he was talking about- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170203.pdf -answer 3 here talks about them showing 1, 2, Switch to developers like Todd Howard who were impressed:

So if anything I'm way more convinced now that Bethesda got on board with Skyrim specifically to use the HD rumble in the ways I described in the OP. I'm incredibly excited to feel this and see how much it really adds to overall immersion.
Yeah, it definitely seems like Howard has his eyes on HD rumble. Here's hoping he will look at your theory and implement it that way (if that wasn't the plan all along)!

Well Skitzo of course it should support rumble and motion controls. The thing left to see is if the port has some actual effort put into it.

the HD rumble implementation could be pretty cool. easy on the motion controls bros, make that shit optional and not fucking 'waggle-tastic.'
i don't know even when dimmed as "sh*t" valkillmore there are some interesting controller ginmicks that could be incorporated, if Bethesda cared to offer users something fresh in terms of controls and that challenged the user coordination skills more than just using their thumbs. Specially to distinguish a game that has been ported to a lot of devices already.

The Joycon have motion sensing capabilities and can be detached for use in each hand. Like this, the developer could simulate a more independent way to control each of the character arms. Like having the ability to aim independently a spell equipped to the left hand. Or Joycon gestures to equippe spells instead of manually select them from the menu. This in conjunction with the more precise capabilites of the rumble could be an interesting curiosity.

Don't get me wrong, as an optional thing of course. i think is far more interesting than what they did with the "Better with Kinect" initiative that didn't recognize the voice commands half of the time.

Yeah it definitely would be great if it had both, but in this thread I'm sorta presenting evidence that it's actually likely to have HD rumble support, especially if 1, 2, Switch's HD rumble is what got Todd Howard on board with the Switch.

And yeah, I doubt there will be motion controls but if there are it will be 100% optional.
Is somewhat likely for there to be at least gyroscope aiming for ranged weapons and that counts as motion controls. Since the Switch supports that in all control configurations (Procon included) it should become a standard for the platform.

ramparter

Banned
I just had a crazy udea. Not so crazy actually. What if it gets some extra content that the other version will receive as dlc?

Well Skitzo of course it should support rumble and motion controls. The thing left to see is if the port has some actual effort put into it.

Yeah it definitely would be great if it had both, but in this thread I'm sorta presenting evidence that it's actually likely to have HD rumble support, especially if 1, 2, Switch's HD rumble is what got Todd Howard on board with the Switch.

And yeah, I doubt there will be motion controls but if there are it will be 100% optional.

I just had a crazy udea. Not so crazy actually. What if it gets some extra content that the other version will receive as dlc?

The game itself is over 5 years old now, so I really doubt we'll see any additional content, outside of maybe a few Nintendo costumes or mods.

Actually I'd love to see a Samus Dragonborn vs Ridley Dragon mod... But I seriously doubt this will get any DLC-like content from Bethesda themselves.

Top Bottom