• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theorycrafters rejoice - Grim Dawn (aka Titan Quest 2) reveals new LV-Up system

Thanks for keeping this thread updated. I just came to check to make sure today's misadventures was shared. I'm really looking forward to getting at the next release. If you look closely in on one of the screenshots you can notice the PC is level 100. I wonder if that's going to be an actual level cap or if it was just for testing purposes.

I came here for the same reason ;)

Please let friday be build 28 day.

As for the level 100. Zantai said to not pay much attention to it.
Whatever that means :)

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26748

Ex-Irrational environment director joins Crate!

We're pleased to announce Scott Duquette has joined the Crate Entertainment team. Scott had previously been part of the small Irrational team that stayed on with Ken Levine to work on his new project and prior to that served as environmental art director on BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea. However, like strangers offering candy from the door of a windowless van, former 38 colleagues working at Crate lured him in with talk of Grim Dawn devotions and the promise of future projects.

Now shackled together with the other artists in the art pit, Scott has been helping us put the finishing touches on Grim Dawn. His roving commission has him surveying our environments; looking for opportunities to punch things up, improve the lackluster and add in unique details to infuse the world with greater sense of place.

When he's not cranking out sweet environment art for Grim Dawn, we can see from his Steam account that Scott spends the rest of his time playing Grim Dawn. He's racked up over 250 hours in the last couple months and probably has more experience with the new devotion system than anyone on the team. His feedback on said system has been valuable and it's great to have another team member who is not just a talented developer but also a passionate gamer who loves to play the games we make.

Scott actually started a couple months back and has been quietly working away in the shadows, biding his time. Very soon you'll get to see a lot of his new additions and refinements in the upcoming Build 28, which will feature the first portion of Act 4 and should release sometime this week. He goes by "Sandcaster" on the forum and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer some questions if you guys have any.

Brings the number to 10 people working on this game.

Some pictures:

CiKGrF0.jpg

i1MGj3s.jpg

1Qhq9y7.jpg

HkgBJSL.jpg

DH53vBA.jpg

LRVfusW.jpg

IbUYN3M.jpg

dondarm

Banned
B28 is here

[Major New Features]

• The area beyond the Darkvale Gates has been unlocked, granting you access to the Black Legion stronghold of Fort Ikon and the wilderness around it.
  • The Devotion System is now available. Venture out into the world and uncover shrines dedicated to the deities and celestial symbols of old. Restore them to their former glory in order to harness their power and unlock new bonuses and effects.
  • The Devotion System is the final layer of character customization in Grim Dawn, offering you a staggering amount of choices to augment your builds and add your personal touch, helping make your builds even more unique. Spend up to 50 points in the Devotion UI across 434 stars and unlock 50 unique Celestial Powers!
  • With the release of new areas to explore, the level cap has been increased to 60.
Full changelog at the link.

Well then. I know what I'm going to be doing with my thanksturkey weekend.

Does anyone else start a whole new character with every release?

lenos16

I've been playing around with the devotion system. It offers quite a lot of new builds and enhancements I think the higher difficulty levels will definitely be needed once it's fully played out. Also anybody noticed that after lvl 50 the lvl points change from 3 to 2?

Purkake4

Banned
I've been playing around with the devotion system. It offers quite a lot of new builds and enhancements I think the higher difficulty levels will definitely be needed once it's fully played out. Also anybody noticed that after lvl 50 the lvl points change from 3 to 2?
Yup, AFAIK it's currently frontloaded due to the level caps in the beta and will be evened out in a future build.

Hotfix just went up that among other things fixes the Storm Spirit pet ability. Good to know that I wasn't going crazy when my familiar was refusing to use it.

After having an epic off-hand with +1 to Occulist skills & a large amount of poison retaliation damage drop for another character, I decided to start a new character (Occulist/Arcanist with a focus on retaliation). I love how the devotion system opens up so many new build possibilities. Got 5 devotion points so far and I'm not done with act 1. Also, I noticed that % on hit devotion abilities can be assigned to your summons which is very cool. :)

garath

I was so tempted to start playing this over the long weekend. But I've waited this long for the full release, I will persevere. It taunts me in my library though.

pr0cs

One of the few games I kickstarted that I actually believe will be worth more than my investment.
I briefly tried the beta a year ago and was really impressed but I think I'll wait to really get into it when the game is done

Purkake4

Banned
The devotion system is really cool, but a lot of the bonuses need tuning. A lot of the +x are trash while +% are really nice.

Also we really need an affinity planner, the highlighing is nice, but long term planning is still a pain.

Bog

Junior Ace
I remember reading about this game when all they had were a handful of images. It feels like that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Update is live.

Game is now content complete! Sounds like they're going to give it a little extra time for final testing & polish and then officially release the game around February.

Durante

So, how long is the game for a single playthrough? I don't have time to really sink my teeth into one of this type of games, but I absolutely do want to do 1 coop playthrough when it is finally released.

Sweet.

I'm pretty much done with PoE. It is a fun game but I can't be bothered to play it anymore. The new skills just seem to be tweaks of skills they already have.

So, how long is the game for a single playthrough? I don't have time to really sink my teeth into one of this type of games, but I absolutely do want to do 1 coop playthrough when it is finally released.

I haven't gotten super far since I was waiting for the game to be content complete (yay!) but I believe Act 1 took me about 10-12 hours to do a thorough clear and the game now has 4 acts (plus 2 roguelike dungeons & 2 higher difficulty levels for repeat playthroughs).

epmode

I'm so happy for the dev team that they finally managed to finish this game. It was really touch and go for a while.

Purkake4

Banned
Woo, unlocking the other difficulties is probably the biggest thing here. Doing Diablo 2 on hardcore and hell was the real test for your setup and equipment.

Anno

For real... Titan Quest was basically Greek Diablo 2.

Yeah TQ with the expansion, and I guess now the fan-made patch stuff, is still to me the best single-player loot game ever made. I played probably 1k hours of D2 and love it to death, but TQ eclipsed it for me when the expansion came out.

Purkake4

Banned
Adding the other roguelike dungeon is pretty big as well. The Steps of Torment still kicks my ass most of the time.

Wait, the content complete build was today?! I was expecting the next few months. That's great news. Also it's only $15 on steam right now. Buy it if you haven't and tell your friends.

Uh... takes me about 15-20 hours to get through the start to part 1 of Act 4 with a buddy on multiplayer. However I have like every unique between level 1-40 on mules which speed up the process immensely. I'm not sure how quickly it would take otherwise. Also we play on Veteran. With it off it's probably speedier.

Was bummed when I saw the Titan Quest progression system a long time ago, ignored this game. Now, just seeing, "Ascendant, Chaos, Eldritch, Order and Primordial" as the names of the level up categories, FUCKING INTERESTED! There is not NEARLY enough Lovecraft shit in video games. I probably would have liked this game before.

inky

Wow, congrats. I've been meaning to give this a spin so it's glad to see it is "complete".

Marvel Heroes is taking too much of my time now, but there's always room for more ARPGs! Especially from the TQ guys :D

Purkake4

Banned
Going through the B29 changes, this is also pretty big:

After extensive deliberation and observation of the Community, we have decided that the best course of action for the longterm health and balance of the game is to remove Completion Bonuses from Components. The ramifications of this change are significant: Components now stack up to 1000, freeing up storage space previously taken up by countless variations of the same Components; Crafting no longer requires you to place items in the UI. Crafting materials are now automatically grabbed from your inventory, personal stash and transfer stash, in that order; With the discrepancy of Completion Bonuses removed, we can more accurately account for player power and balance the game accordingly; We can add more Components in future content without feeling like they are going to take up obscene amounts of player storage. Many Components have been buffed in light of this change.

That part never made any sense to me, so I'm happy to see them go.

It presented bonuses that the crazies like me could use to manipulate character strength. Like I had an extra 100% in chaos damage and 25% attack speed from completion bonuses on one build. It meant I had less concern for survivability because I was murdering everything before it got a chance to attack. So it makes sense why it was skewing balance and probably making things more difficult for more casual playthroughs. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight to properly assess any damage to my better builds.

Purkake4

Banned
It presented bonuses that the crazies like me could use to manipulate character strength. Like I had an extra 100% in chaos damage and 25% attack speed from completion bonuses on one build. It meant I had less concern for survivability because I was murdering everything before it got a chance to attack. So it makes sense why it was skewing balance and probably making things more difficult for more casual playthroughs. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight to properly assess any damage to my better builds.
That's one step too far down the RNG hole for me. I do wish the added an option to reroll your rares though.

Was bummed when I saw the Titan Quest progression system a long time ago, ignored this game. Now, just seeing, "Ascendant, Chaos, Eldritch, Order and Primordial" as the names of the level up categories, FUCKING INTERESTED! There is not NEARLY enough Lovecraft shit in video games. I probably would have liked this game before.

It still has the Titan Quest system of progression - the Ascendant/Chaos/Eldritch/Order/Primordial stuff is a second system of progression (you gain points that can be used for those by cleansing shrines that are scattered throughout the world).

Ragona

How much of the game is done at that point? I absolutely adored Titan quest back then and was really happy with the announcement of Grim Dawn. However, I was too afraid to play it yet, because i feared to be disappointed with the status. Now a year or so later iam hoping for the full release.

How much of the game is done at that point? I absolutely adored Titan quest back then and was really happy with the announcement of Grim Dawn. However, I was too afraid to play it yet, because i feared to be disappointed with the status. Now a year or so later iam hoping for the full release.

They could release the game right now if they wanted. The whole game is playable, including a bunch of optional content. However, they're waiting a couple month before release, partially to double-check everything and add extra polish and also probably because releasing a game late in December during the middle of the Steam Christmas sale is a really bad idea.

If you liked Titan Quest, I strongly recommend the game. They're essentially already at version 1.1 (feature & content complete with lots of fine-tuning, bug fixing, and polish already done).

-NeoTB1-

Info on the new update (content complete): http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28304

They also confirmed that it's coming out later this month.

It's more or less done at this point. And since it's on sale for $15, now would be a great time to purchase.

It's basically done right now. Just some last minute polish and balancing being done before the early access status is dropped I imagine.

Top Bottom