• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There Came An Echo |OT| Out on PS4

Just finished the game. Was really fun! The voice commands worked good for me but I had trouble getting the volume of my mic in the right place. It was either too quiet or too loud - weird because I voice chat all the time and never had any trouble.

Ran into a couple of bugs. One where Corrin decided he was a pacifist and no longer fired his gun for the rest of the mission (this was on the mission where
you help Grace murder a guy. I might have done weird things and went ring around the rosie with enemies and confused things
). And another where I was seemingly invulnerable to enemy fire (though special weapons still drained energy, the mission was
when you go to Farrick's base
). In both cases a restart solved the issue, sorry I don't have useful repro steps :(

In terms of requests I really wish I would've been able to click-drag with the left or right mouse button to pan the camera. The middle mouse button isn't super great for holding down, at least not on my mouse, and one of the missions near the end required quite a bit of scrolling. I guess this is a carryover from how 3D editors do it but I don't like it in those either, hehe.

I loved the 2D art, voice acting, and soundtrack. Really great stuff. Any idea how many minutes long the soundtrack is? Definitely gonna pick it up.

Edit: Oh I also had the UI clipping problem on my 16:10 screen, ended up playing in a 1600x900 window.

This means the voicecore is crashing, but obviously it should not if you're not even intending to use the voice commands. Do you have a microphone plugged into your computer? And can you send me your logs at: (located at steam/steamapps/common/ThereCameAnEcho/ThereCameAnEcho_Data/output_log.txt and steam/steamapps/common/ThereCameAnEcho/VoiceCoreErrorLog.txt)

Nope I don't have one at all. I'll PM the logs.

munroe

Liking the game so far however a few issues which others may have already mentioned.
Aspect ratio, 16:10 monitor, 1680x1050 native resolution, however picking this seems to cut off the sides. 1680x900 is a temporary fix though a little bit crushed.

Menu overlaps, though not as bad as some people have reported, upon opening up the options menu, a band top and bottom of the screen retains some of the options menu.

Voice command: This may be my mic or the game or a combination of both. The voice calibration screen appears to recognise my voice but trying to say simple things like "miranda move to alpha 1" can be a chore, can't raise the volume anymore so i keep getting the message from value.saying something along the lines of, Sam, speak up!

I've gotten to mission 3? Assassination missio? And there appears to be quite a few bugs, the mission starts with a black screen and won't launch unless I press escape. Some of the characters have pathing issues if another character is in the way.

Otherwise, opening sequence was good especially the music. Voice acting is good at the moment

Sarcasm

So couple questions:

1) Upon launching the game it asked if I wanted to disabled Gabest MPA Decoder. I have no clue if I should or not.

2) (Canceled that part of the process and game booted up) The GUI is in Chinese....how do I change it to English?

JambiBum

Just finished it. Ending credits were pretty great.

Probably one of the better stories I've experienced in a game in a while, so good job on that Feep. I really liked the implementation of adding the player into the story, I just wish the voice commands were a little more responsive at times. I realize that this is a fault with the whole concept and not so much the way you guys implemented it, but there would be times when I was in the middle of a fight and I couldn't get multiple commands out at once very cleanly. No matter how I adjusted the mic volume it would usually say that I was too loud even if I was speaking at the same volume, especially in fights. This would cause me to die at certain points and that became frustrating. Also, I wish you could use click and drag to move the camera instead of just edge panning, but that's just a minor gripe.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and will definitely be recommending it to my friends, so thanks for the code Feep. If you're interested, if I had to give it a rating I would give it an 8/10. The only thing I really took off for is the menu bug I experienced (stated in an earlier post) and the frustration with the voice commands.

jem0208

So I'm trying to play, however the completely broken menu is kind of annoying. Opening up the options just overylays it across the normal menu, and buttons click straight through.

Then, when I do manage to navigate the broken menu it just black screens after saying "Seriously, don't yell"

Really nice music though.

So yeah, this game is completely broken for me. I actually did get through the black screen to a panning view across some rooms. Nothing happened though. I just panned across for a couple of minutes with a bit of odd ui in the top right. Bit of a shame :/

Edit: disregard all of the above, it seems to be working now...

I'm having some problems with voice recognition. It gets what I say sometimes, but nowhere near often enough to be useful in a fight.
It usually gets loud and clear (about 80% chance) but everything else is random.
For some reason it tends to get 'command alias' but not something simple like 'pause game'.
It sometimes gets the move commands, but misses the character, so I get the wrong person or everyone trying to do the action.
I'm using a headset mic in a totally quiet room. Using feedback through the headset to make sure my levels sound okay.
For what it's worth, Windows voice recognition is similarly terrible and churns out absolute gibberish.
Maybe it doesn't like my accent, though it's pretty middle of the road middle class Englishman.
I have no idea how a game distils United Kingdom into a single accent. Should I be like Stephen Fry, Sean Bean, Prince Charles or David Beckham (or even female)?
I also tried the trick of setting the accent to Australian, since that's what every American seems to assume I am. Sadly no dice.

The game could use a speed option, since it's way too fast-paced unless you have perfect voice recognition.

I'll have another go tomorrow and upload the output file (I don't get the other error file). I've been alt-tabbing, restarting and generally dicking about with settings way too much for my current log to be much use.

On a more positive note, it seems like fun when it works. The music is brilliant too.

Despera

Banned
I'm having some problems with voice recognition. It gets what I say sometimes, but nowhere near often enough to be useful in a fight.
It usually gets loud and clear (about 80% chance) but everything else is random.
For some reason it tends to get 'command alias' but not something simple like 'pause game'.
It sometimes gets the move commands, but misses the character, so I get the wrong person or everyone trying to do the action.
I'm using a headset mic in a totally quiet room. Using feedback through the headset to make sure my levels sound okay.
For what it's worth, Windows voice recognition is similarly terrible and churns out absolute gibberish.
Maybe it doesn't like my accent, though it's pretty middle of the road middle class Englishman.
I have no idea how a game distils United Kingdom into a single accent. Should I be like Stephen Fry, Sean Bean, Prince Charles or David Beckham (or even female)?
I also tried the trick of setting the accent to Australian, since that's what every American seems to assume I am. Sadly no dice.

The game could use a speed option, since it's way too fast-paced unless you have perfect voice recognition.

I'll have another go tomorrow and upload the output file (I don't get the other error file). I've been alt-tabbing, restarting and generally dicking about with settings way too much for my current log to be much use.

On a more positive note, it seems like fun when it works. The music is brilliant too.
You tried registering some custom voice commands for the ones you're having a hard time with?

Thanks for the code, feep. I'm getting ready to dive in now. I had to check out the command aliases and add one first though.
9tdk7P7.jpg

I may have found a bug. In the command alias setup, the contents of the command tab don't scroll properly for me. The scrollbar moves, but the content doesn't. Let me know if you need any additional info.

JC Sera

I own a mac so I couldn't really use my free copy
so I bought another one and gave them to two friends who were really interested
smile.gif

Really looking forward to the Mac release though, can't wait for relatives to ask why I'm awkwardly shouting orders into my computer!

Also shoutout to Jason Wishnov for giving me a free copy of the artbook, it looks great!
I'm a real sucker for the art style

edit:
Thanks for the code, feep. I'm getting ready to dive in now. I had to check out the command aliases and add one first though.
9tdk7P7.jpg
I love it

Dinjoralo

I'm having a bit of a problem with the voice commands. It seems like sometimes it just outright stops working, and none of my commands get interpreted, even though the game can hear me just fine. Like the thing switches off. There's no crash log to report.

ASTROID2

Gave the game a go. The opening credits looked really cool and great music too. I find the story really interesting as well. I have to see if I can dig a mic out somewhere.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Title is awesome. OT is awesome. Game looks awesome. Feep is awesome.

Downloading this now, hope it goes fast I wanna play.

Made it about 20 minutes in before my commute ended. Seems pretty cool so far, looking forward to trying out the voice commands tonight. Got the menu overlap glitch right away by going into options from the title screen, closing the menu, then clicking play. The options menu was still active and the file selection menu was unresponsive. Fixed it by exiting out of the menu, then going back in.

Boof

Game is so much fun so far... about an hour or so in. The music is fantastic. Huge fan of Ronald Jenkees!

Feep

Banned
Tons of fixes going up tonight for general stability. Man. QA teams have nothing on hundreds and hundreds of gamers.

Nonentity

Just beat the game - thanks, Feep! It was pretty damn fun!

After the ending,
I didn't realize it was a sequel to Sequence, so I had to go and watch the ending for that since I never beat it.
Awesome stuff! I enjoyed the credits video.

I had started off using my Blue Snowball mic, but it seemed like it was too sensitive and the voice commands just stopped working after the first mission, so I swapped to a USB headset and it worked okay from there on out.

I ran into one issue where Miranda on
the mission where you infiltrate the base to kill the guy for Grace
where she just stopped shooting and appeared to be in her downed state. I could still move her around, but she just stood there, and any time I told her to fire on anyone, she gave the "i'm already doing that" error. After dying and restarting from the checkpoint, it was fine from there.

I dunno whether it's a default or not, but I kept wanting to say 'swap to X weapon' as opposed to 'switch to X weapon' and it never recognized it - I probably should have gone in and added it, but I was already close to the end by the time I got used to saying that instead.

The only part of the game I actively disliked was
the forced stealth section at the beginning of the base mission with Miranda
. It felt like the area should have had more movement checkpoints or something.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Tons of fixes going up tonight for general stability. Man. QA teams have nothing on hundreds and hundreds of gamers.

My company is about to release a massive update to our existing platform. We've asked the owner of the company if we could roll out to just one client with a large userbase and use that as a beta and he was taken aback.

Him: What do you think will go wrong?
Us: Within the first 15 minutes of us releasing there will be bugs found that we never caught after hundreds of hours in QA.

Update: I reinstalled Steam and now I'm downloading the game! Success! I do have to re-download games I was currently playing, but I was meaning to do some cleanup for a while now. My hard drive was getting pretty full.

Sarcasm

Okay good relaunched it and everything is in English now lol..did nothing =S

Did anybody else get that Gabest MPA decorder pop up? I haven't done anything with it (via kill process) and game runs.

Ralemont

not me
I'm having a bit of a problem with the voice commands. It seems like sometimes it just outright stops working, and none of my commands get interpreted, even though the game can hear me just fine. Like the thing switches off. There's no crash log to report.

Did you accidentally pause the game somehow? This happened to me where nothing I did worked. So I said "pause game" to try and bring up a menu or something, and it interpreted it as "unpause game" and suddenly all the commands were working again.

I think pause game literally just stops people moving (even though they still breathe in/out) so it can be hard to tell sometimes?

Parsnip

I didn't actually play the game yet, but the bundled CCCP installed a(n old) version of MPC-HC that straight up hijacked all the file extensions from my regular and up-to-date MPC-HC.

Easy fix on my end of course since my MPC-HC is installed elsewhere, I can just run it and re-reg the extensions, but just a heads up.

Redmoon

Just installed it, will play this tomorrow. Thanks Feep!

Got the soundtrack as well(wanted to give some support for this). Listening to it while night surfing. The music is great ^^ .

Kyuur

Started to play, absolutely no problems with voice recognition but the game is crashing fairly often right after the loading screen. :/ On Windows 10 with an AMD card.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing the game. The art style looks really nice! And the music is awesome too.

It took a while, but finally the game started to understand my voice commands (not an English native speaker), and it feels pretty good. Sadly the game crashed when loading the second mission, so I'll send the logs to Feep now.

Sorry for giving you more work more, dude :(

Feep

Banned
Started to play, absolutely no problems with voice recognition but the game is crashing fairly often right after the loading screen. :/ On Windows 10 with an AMD card.
This, I believe, is a *real* problem. I'm not sure Unity builds currently support W10. I'll look into it, but this is the third W10 issue we've seen.

Feep

Banned
New beta build up! If anyone would like to test it, right click on TCAE, go to Beta tab, and enter in: IridiumElement77. Hopefully, with no errors, I can push it live in a couple hours.

Kyuur

This, I believe, is a *real* problem. I'm not sure Unity builds currently support W10. I'll look into it, but this is the third W10 issue we've seen.

Thanks for looking into! Even if it can't be fixed I'll get around to playing more, since it seems to save after each loading screen and I can get it to work occasionally. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The game crashed again at a loading screen (though different than last time). I'll wait for tomorrow's patch, I should be heading to bed anyway.

CSX

Holy shit at this voice recognition working. Now if only i had a mic that is closer to my mouth lol

Now the tutorial for the next two guns. Gonna play more tomorrow.

Again, thank you so much for the code Feep :)

RiverKwai

Game is a tease. I was about to get on a flight with Malcom Reynolds!

Playstation Gold Wireless works like a charm on Win7 w USB dongle btw in case anyone else needs a mic.

Top Bottom