• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a FF6 fan patch that adds A LOT of stuff to the game, but it's Japanese only

What's different?
A complete overhaul of the game design—magic, skills, equipment, character growth tables, item drops and variety, enemy layout and attack patterns, you name it. I can no longer enjoy vanilla FF6 from a gameplay standpoint because this exists.

Fake edit: The general plot and map/level design remain unchanged, although the script has been altered to varying degrees of success/ineffectiveness.

Loona

lol You can cosplay as the FF4 cast and fight Golbez

smile

Neat.

How far up the series do the references go? IV's a classic in Japan, Ultimecia from VIII is in as a secret boss, and IX and X in the very least get an outfit each... now i'm wondering about XI nods...

I think its a pretty amazing mechanical rework of the original game

Pretty sure I know what is disliked most about it though and I agree 100% and criticized them harshly for it
I read a bit about Brave New World and thought it looked interesting; what's this part that deserves harsh criticism?

I download it every few versions and check it out but I always drop off before the floating continent, which is when it really gets different I understand.

Valus

I read a bit about Brave New World and thought it looked interesting; what's this part that deserves harsh criticism?

The translation. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. They just re-translated the game to modern times, including references to other FF games (Kefka saying spoony bard and Locke saying let's mosey, etc.) occasionally you may feel them injecting themselves into the mod (as most fan creations tend to do) but it's really not that bad. The game mechanics overhaul is amazing and any fan of FF6 should try it out.

jholmes

Not as a playable character from from what I've seen :(

He does appear as an optional boss in Kefka's Tower. If fought with Terra, he will give her a special item only usable by her that will allow her to use the Shock move.

Whoa! I was into this before but that sounds awesome.

The translation. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. They just re-translated the game to modern times, including references to other FF games (Kefka saying spoony bard and Locke saying let's mosey, etc.) occasionally you may feel them injecting themselves into the mod (as most fan creations tend to do) but it's really not that bad. The game mechanics overhaul is amazing and any fan of FF6 should try it out.

savage Relm best Relm

Shouta

I actually started playing and streaming T-Edition. It's pretty great and there's a lot of nice little QoL changes in there so far. Rage for Gau are automatically learned on encounter now instead of having to do the Leap -> Find him loop to get them. You can also see what skill will be used by him when you use it in the Abilities menu now.

The first major change that crops up was the event with Siegfried on the Phantom Train. It was changed to what it reminded everyone of, heh.

I can post again in this thread when I'm streaming it for anyone interested.

Shouta

I'm streaming the game now for anyone interested in this. It's in Japanese but as the game is pretty well known, I won't be translating a ton of it.

Last edited:

Shouta

Some of the battles in T-Edition are way more interesting than before. I'm really surprised by the thought put into it so far.

Shouta

I skimmed your recording(thanks for that!), and it doesn't really seem that earth shaking... but interesting.

I'm still early so it shouldn't be. However, the rebalancing and the additional stuff in major fights is pretty great. The opera fight with ultros having audience participation is genius as an example.

Any chance of being able to replace FF6 vanilla in my SNES classic with the T Edition?

That'd probably depend on if there's something like what happened with the NES classic.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I actually started playing and streaming T-Edition. It's pretty great and there's a lot of nice little QoL changes in there so far. Rage for Gau are automatically learned on encounter now instead of having to do the Leap -> Find him loop to get them. You can also see what skill will be used by him when you use it in the Abilities menu now.

The first major change that crops up was the event with Siegfried on the Phantom Train. It was changed to what it reminded everyone of, heh.

I can post again in this thread when I'm streaming it for anyone interested.

I've really been enjoying your streams. I don't read Japanese, so I'll never be able to play through this on my own, but I love seeing the new content. You do a great job.

Brave New World is tedious and they ramped the difficulty up too much, to the point where you need to keep 99 potions in stock on any outing once you get past the Narshe Kefka fight. I don't mind a fair challenge, but in this case it's just annoying and not very balanced at all.

I didn't have much of a problem with the dialogue, but combat is no longer fun. I gave up once my second stock of 99 potions started running low (while fighting through Zozo the first time).

I'd like to try this new one though, if there's ever an English translation. To those who have tried it, did they mess with the difficulty much?

Does anyone who has tried this mod know whether it adds support for longer lists of items and higher values for boss life? For modders who aren't literally rewriting game code like they are, monsters for instance (even the end boss) are capped at two bytes, or 65535 life, and all you can do to make them tougher beyond that is give them innate Safe/Shell/Regen. It's kind of a crazy limitation in a game that lets you do 80k damage in a single move.

The other limitation, the item list, uses only one byte for a max of 255 items. Since they mention adding new items, and have clearly done a lot of impressive low level engine work, I wonder if they changed those limits.

Willenium

You know what I'd like to see?

Right after the Floating Continent, the player should get to choose a character, not unlike the earlier "Choose a Scenario" section. I mean, in the original game, the player gets stuck controlling a character who is in a coma for a year.

Imagine getting to control Relm, where you have to use your art skills to con your way into a mansion to save an esper.

Or you can choose Locke and spend a year training and improving your "Treasure Hunting" abilities so you can infiltrate a massive cave in search of Phoenix. Since it's a 2-party dungeon, maybe you befriend some lackey along the way that you end up sacrificing for the cause.

Edgar gets to gain the trust of a gang of thieves and take on a whole new personality.

Terra's story could be a Persona-like life sim in Miranda. With all those teens and adolescents in the town, there's bound to be some drama.

Or, of course, you could play as Strago and just say "fuck it" and join a cult.

So many options! It's always bummed me out that the designers force you to play the most boring one. It's so dull that even the only enemies you can fight kill themselves.

Savitar

Be ironic if SE releases FF6 one day and they end up using this version by mistake.

ROMS have been downloaded and released by companies before.

Top Bottom