• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a real lack of innovation with control pads × ○ △ □

iconmaster

Banned
Sony's contribution
  • Non-insane positioning of "joystic"
  • Dual sticks

I’ll grant you layout somewhat, sure; though it’s more or less an SNES controller with added sticks. But everything within that layout can be traced back to Nintendo. People think d-pads and analog sticks were obvious inventions. They weren’t, until Nintendo invented them. The extent of their influence doesn’t render that point moot, it reinforces it.

The placement yes, but the choice of shapes was a brilliant one, that made remembering inputs and placement much easier due to them shapes meaning something. They're not random like a,b,x,y.

Different strokes but the shape icons are the least favorite part of the DualShock for me. I still have to double-check the controller at almost every prompt except “X.” It’s super smart for internationalization, though.

Bryank75

Banned
it depends on the game. Apex literally takes 5-10 seconds minimum each time you want to record a clip.
that's reproducible on multiple PS4 systems. I have a FAT and a Pro, and both take ages until I can finally oress square to save my gameplay in Apex.

and there are other games with similar issues.

meanwhile on Xbox it never takes longer than a second, no matter what game you play... Apex or anything.

and it automatically uploads to xbox live in the background for your friends to see.

it's just so, so, so much better in every way
I'm sure they will refine the system, they just had other priorities, like the name changing thing.

Castef

Banned
Waiting for someone to add a potentiometer on a first-party joypad.

That would be useful & awesome.

xool

Taking a moment to reflect that the face buttons on the PS2 (dualshock 2) were PRESSURE SENSITIVE .. which worked really well when supported

..but lost to time because xbox/gamecube didn't have them.

..Imagine what you could do with the inputs on them on fighting/character action games etc.

..imagine to be able to do light/heavy attacks (using different amounts of "stamina") contextually, using a single button

you will be missed

Trimesh

Banned
The placement yes, but the choice of shapes was a brilliant one, that made remembering inputs and placement much easier due to them shapes meaning something. They're not random like a,b,x,y.

I really wish SCEA hadn't decided to swap the standard assignments for the X and O buttons. I know it doesn't matter if you play all US or all Japanese games, but if you have a mixture it can get pretty annoying.

Closer

The real problem with the Wiimote way back when was developers not knowing what to do with it and gamers wanting their Aim Assist to be just like others platforms, or else the game was unplayable (for them).

Last edited:

DonF

I really wish SCEA hadn't decided to swap the standard assignments for the X and O buttons. I know it doesn't matter if you play all US or all Japanese games, but if you have a mixture it can get pretty annoying.
Kojima didnt care about that.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The split nature of the Switch Joycons is a REVELATION to me! I can play FPSs way better with them split than on the screen or in the Joycon dock. The motion controls are next tier!

And it's great for fighting games! MK11 has been great with the Joycons ... And I can use them on the screen or on the Joycon dock or split.

I'm surprised more people don't understand how awesome the split Joycons are for gaming.

BlackTron

Xbox using the same button names as Nintendo but in reverse order, still bothers me.

I hate how I need to rewire my brain every time I switch between a Nintendo and Xbox controller. Yet to be fair, Xbox has the same button layout as Dreamcast, which heavily influenced the first Xbox.

I learned to appreciate this later when playing Phantasy Star Online on PC using a 360 pad. Along with the analog triggers, I imagine this makes an Xbox controller the de facto choice for emulating DC, though I've never tried it.

logicslayer

For one, the "X" on the PlayStation is a Cross, not an X :messenger_beaming:
I honestly have little issue using the DualShock 4, Xbox One, Keyboard/Mouse, Steam Controller. The Joy Cons on the other hand? Not so much. I play with the Pro controller where I can and even then, the buttons are confusing coming from other controllers.

Verdanth

We gamers got picky af with controllers.

I remember when I used to game on a SNES controller and my hands did not hurt at all, with that "fabulous" D-pad.

Nowadays, I can barely play with a D-pad without hurting my hands after 1 hour. Got so used to the analogical sticks.

And yes, others controllers changing X button to other place is troublesome.

The time I waste getting used to whenever I change from PS4 to Switch and vice versa...jesus.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
For one, the "X" on the PlayStation is a Cross, not an X

I understand that is the official name, but honestly how it is a cross other than the fact that two lines are crossing? What people commonly call a "cross" is a vertical line with a shorter horizontal line running perpendicular through that, about 2/3 up the top of the vertical line. Basically a lowercase T.

It just strikes me as pedantic to stress this when basically everyone here does call it an X....because it looks exactly like an X and not what we refer to as crosses.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
DS4 touchpad was just Select and Start buttons acting weird.
Even worse is the Vita back touchpad. Yet the back touchpad was required for some actions in games. This became a problem when Sony decided to release the Vita TV, except now they had to block several games from being playable on it.

SLOSifl

I understand that is the official name, but honestly how it is a cross other than the fact that two lines are crossing? What people commonly call a "cross" is a vertical line with a shorter horizontal line running perpendicular through that, about 2/3 up the top of the vertical line. Basically a lowercase T.

It just strikes me as pedantic to stress this when basically everyone here does call it an X....because it looks exactly like an X and not what we refer to as crosses.
"PED XING"

lock2k

Banned
Taking a moment to reflect that the face buttons on the PS2 (dualshock 2) were PRESSURE SENSITIVE .. which worked really well when supported

..Imagine what you could do with the inputs on them on fighting/character action games etc.

..imagine to be able to do light/heavy attacks (using different amounts of "stamina") contextually, using a single button

you will be missed

The first Street Fighter originally had this concept.

Light punch was a light press and strong punch was a strong press. But they changed it because it was better to have individual buttons for light, medium and strong punches and kicks.

cojDg0G.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

you will be missed
That was a huge thing and one of the more memorable aspects of that generation of consoles. It made me press a button down at the same speed of my action in-game. I think I've copied that over to just every console generation out of habit.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not one that needs/wants much innovation. Current controllers work great and I tend to not like innovative things like motion controls, have a hard time wrapping my head around more than two paddles/buttons underneath a controller etc. Fuck, learning dual analog controls back in the PS2/Xbox/GC days into early into the next gen was rough for me and now I'm 40 and pick up stuff even less quickly.

wzy

The split nature of the Switch Joycons is a REVELATION to me! I can play FPSs way better with them split than on the screen or in the Joycon dock. The motion controls are next tier!

And it's great for fighting games! MK11 has been great with the Joycons ... And I can use them on the screen or on the Joycon dock or split.

I'm surprised more people don't understand how awesome the split Joycons are for gaming.

Married people understand. Can't believe it took this long for someone to work out a controller that's comfortable to hold while snuggling on the couch but now that it's here I will never go back.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
People want familiarity in a controller first and foremost, hence why the layout has been largely the same since the SNES.

Barnabot

We should replace steering wheels in cars with motion controls, since they are so great and all.
That's more savage than playing racing games using a controller. And I play my racing games using a controller instead of a steering wheel.

Susurrus

I feel like OP didn't notice that SNES, Wii (classic), Wii U, and Switch have the same button layout. SNES was before the other consoles you talk about.

Even the Gamecube was roughly the same layout, just shifted around a little bit. X still top right, Y still top left, B still left of A.

Top Bottom