• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is now a Bethesda.net launcher (a la Origin, Steam, uPlay, Battle.net, etc)

What's your favorite PC game launcher client/store?

Results are only viewable after voting.

klee123

This is getting ridiculous.

Soon every major third party publisher will have their own store front and launcher.

Phyla

Never had a problem with different launchers. Install game, place shortcut on desktop/in start menu, run game. Easy.

We are now approaching 10 different clients though. A different launcher for each publisher would bother me, too.

Tik115

Neo Member
If this keeps up I swear somebody is gonna create a launcher launcher

Open launcher select launcher to launch the launcher then via the launchered launcher you launch your games launcher to finally launch the game with the launcher launcher keeping all of your launchers.

They'll be more launching then a bunch of Katushas in a battle

It could also be a basis for the paid mod system, why worry about the Steam backlash when they can automatically have that stuff on their own launcher?

UrbanRats

Wow, what we've all been asking for, for the longest time!
This shows that, as long as you believe, dreams do come true!

End goal would be every single game with its own client, we'll get there folks, keep praying.

Other stores could be better. Gamers have been putting all their eggs in one basket for too long.

The thing is, the other baskets are bad.
It's hard to trust Ubisoft with Uplay which is a lackluster client, EA with Origins which is forcing exclusive, on a old and bad looking client, with previous declarations hostile to sales.
Other stores could be better, they're not. I dont get that kind of thinking. Waiting for other to be on par. There's a reason why people put all their eggs in one basket. It's because this one is reliable. And you better wish this one keeps holding when all your eggs are inside.

StereoVsn

I really hope they don't lock mods to this thing (through encryption, etc). If they do I am done with Bethesda games. Already mostly avoid Ubisoft except for their smaller efforts and those on consoles.

Cru Jones

I really have to wonder about the analysis that goes into the decision to launch one of these. Can anyone make a convincing case that uPlay has been a worthwhile endeavor for Ubi once you account for opportunity cost?

It's all about having a direct line of communication with your customers. You don't get that info from Steam but you do get it when someone signs up for the uPlay service.

RPGam3r

The thing is, the other baskets are bad.
It's hard to trust Ubisoft with Uplay which is a lackluster client, EA with Origins which is forcing exclusive, on a old and bad looking client, with previous declarations hostile to sales.
Other stores could be better, they're not. I dont get that kind of thinking. Waiting for other to be on par. There's a reason why people put all their eggs in one basket. It's because this one is reliable. And you better wish this one keeps holding when all your eggs are inside.

There was a time when people hated the current beloved basket.

Eusis

Oh, it's not hard to see the reasoning, it's just that it's all reasoning that reminds me very closely of reasoning I've heard from sales-oriented executives justifying pet projects before -- usually executives who got fired a year or two down the line when someone looked at what a wasteful boondoggle said projects turned out to be.
I wanted to stay that it might also just be them being egotistical and thinking THEY need their own separate service, but maybe I wasn't too far off. Maybe what's wrong with that thought before was them as a whole feeling that way, but rather you have an exec or two who sees Steam numbers and wants to make their own thing to do that, ignoring whether or not that makes sense, and their argument convinces the rest to go with it. It makes sense for GOG Galaxy because they were well established as an online storefront anyway, and Blizzard was investing in their online services for a long time so it's basically just feature adding. But the likes of EA and Ubisoft doing it came off as them deciding they were big enough publishers that they should be doing their own thing, and Bethesda wants to party with them so may have decided that was one reason to go into this.

People bringing up the "it is more competition!" angle are really obnoxious. Origin/uPlay/this/RockstarSocialWhatever are NOT competition for Steam. They do not and will not compete with Valve on client features or library. They get their features up to the bare minimum because it does not matter, they know their client is mainly for their games and services. They have little to no impetus to improve, their client has developed to the point where it has fulfilled its purpose (which is not competing with Valve as a store). It has been years and it is pretty obvious none of these clients are going to even TRY to bring meaningful storefront client competition.

Having your own client isn't necessarily even a bad thing. Few people complain about Battle.net or various service based games clients. But people don't make the mistake of saying that these are competing with Steam. uPlay exists largely in the same territory as Battle.net but Ubisoft's games do not warrant a client and for most gamer's - it just exists to be an annoyance after buying a Ubisoft game on Steam.

GOG is probably the only people actually TRYING to meaningfully compete with Steam. They have a unique selling feature (DRM-free, client optional installs). They have a decent sized library of games (>1000). They are working on improving their client (although progress on that has been a bit slow?). Hell, GOG's company even makes games... and they sell them on Steam without requiring GOG! Now that is competition!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It may seem a little odd as Steam is the only thing I want installed, but maybe if the big publishers exit Steam Valve will have to actually make a game or something.

nobody's exiting Steam

well, EA did, but I still don't understand the logic behind that.

ElRenoRaven

If their games are exclusive to this service, I'm not buying them anymore.

I'm tired of the fragmentation of my library. I have a place with +500 games already. i dont want to deal with more accounts, more friend lists.

Can't blame you. There are only 2 launchers I use. Steam & Battle.net. I don't even bother with origin anymore. I figure if they don't put their games on steam I don't need em.

nobody's exiting Steam

well, EA did, but I still don't understand the logic behind that.

They want every game they put on PC other then mainline Battlefield games to bomb hard. The idea of Mirror's Edge Catalyst selling sub 100k exclusively on Origin gets them really excited.

As a positive at least EA can't complain about sales on PC anymore.

Saty

Go ask the Unravel devs how happy they were to be Origin-exclusive.

Also, why the fuck would i want to mess with any other client now that Steam refund in ingrained? Another bad, under-featured client isn't any kind of competition i'd want. Hopefully they won't pull games out of Steam and hopefully their revenue slides even if they'll just try to push it alongside Steam.

OmegaDL50

The PS4 and XB1 versions don't use Steam Workshop for mods because they don't use Steam.

Bethesda tying the creation kit to the Bethesda.net app makes sense in this case because of console mods now.

It be a different scenario entirely if modding was still only available for the PC version, but since the PS4 and XB1 doesn't use the Workshop as a database for obtaining mods, or does the PSN and XBL stores share a database either, Bethesda made a solution to cover both platforms.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind more stores, the Valve gamer relationship is weird anyway.
This is a store that doesn't seem to give any benefit to customers, though. Fragmenting their libraries, friend lists and forcing them to install a new program only to play a specific publisher's games doesn't sound like my idea of good competition.

Other stores could be better. Gamers have been putting all their eggs in one basket for too long.
Sure they could. Truth is, they aren't.

Steam and BNet are the only launchers that seem worth it. What I like about BNet is that there is global chat with friends between all the games they have and nowadays each game has content added to another one of their games (D3 Season 6 has Overwatch wings, WoW has a pet from other games, etc)

The rest is just simply a launcher to load their games... I don't care about that, it's actually a burden.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

That was over ten years ago. If you have a new client, you're not competing with Steam as it was ten years ago, you're competing with Steam as it is now.

OmegaDL50

That was over ten years ago. If you have a new client, you're not competing with Steam as it was ten years ago, you're competing with Steam as it is now.

Exactly, Any relevant company making software don't create applications with the expectations of 10 year old software creation tech.

You release a piece of software in 2016, then it will judged comparatively to other similar software models of 2016.

The only difference is the userbase. Something that has existed for years had that long term advantage to build up an established userbase, as opposed to something released this year which has yet exist on the market for a prolonged period of time or have ample time to grow.

If this is like uPlay, then you can buy the game directly off their store, or you can still buy it through Steam... how is that not competition?

Because it's not a substitutionary good. Literally nothing Zenimax can ever do will make Bethesda.net a product that can fill the role of Steam; they'll never have other major publishers, they'll never spend effort on carrying indie titles or providing value-added platform features. To compete with Steam, someone has to offer a product that can actually be selected as an alternative to Steam -- by offering a plausible choice for purchasing, for distribution, or for infrastructure -- as GOG, Humble, and GreenMan each do.

Launching this type of proprietary client is much more akin to an attempt to tweak the distribution chain. It isn't built around competing in the sense we mean (attracting sales by offering a better service or product than the alternative), it's about trying to improve margin by changing the steps between their company and the customer getting their hands on the end product (the game). That's a legitimate part of managing a product business, certainly, but by default it's not going to actually result in any benefit to the customer.

It's all about having a direct line of communication with your customers. You don't get that info from Steam but you do get it when someone signs up for the uPlay service.

Any marketing professional who thinks the best way to get a "direct line of communication" with their customers is to introduce an entirely unnecessary, superfluous step into their product that inconveniences and irritates the user should honestly think about a new career.

Yes, and that time was a decade ago, when the status quo was manually downloading game patches from websites or FTP servers, home broadand penetration was in the 40% range, and people still had serious arguments about whether buying things on the internet via credit card was ever going to be mainstream. Steam created a new market segment in that environment, which is why it's ludicrously successful now; someone else trying to do the same thing a decade later is not at all in the same situation.

Acinixys

If a game I buy tries to launch with any 3rd party app that isnt GOG or Steam, i will find a workaround to play it without said launcher

After having to deal with Uplay for FC3 and GFWL for Bulletstorm, i hate all launchers.

Synth

Because it's not a substitutionary good. Literally nothing Zenimax can ever do will make Bethesda.net a product that can fill the role of Steam; they'll never have other major publishers, they'll never spend effort on carrying indie titles or providing value-added platform features. To compete with Steam, someone has to offer a product that can actually be selected as an alternative to Steam -- by offering a plausible choice for purchasing, for distribution, or for infrastructure -- as GOG, Humble, and GreenMan each do.

Launching this type of proprietary client is much more akin to an attempt to tweak the distribution chain. It isn't built around competing in the sense we mean (attracting sales by offering a better service or product than the alternative), it's about trying to improve margin by changing the steps between their company and the customer getting their hands on the end product (the game). That's a legitimate part of managing a product business, certainly, but by default it's not going to actually result in any benefit to the customer.

It's doesn't have to be "substitutionary good" in order to be classed as competition. A Nintendo console is probably never going to be "substitutionary good" to a PlayStation, but (at least I'd hope) nobody's going to claim that it's not competing with PlayStation and Xbox. Even the bloody WonderSwan competed against the Gameboy, and Windows Phone competes against iOS. In some cases they'll only compete in small areas that they intersect. Competition doesn't mean having a direct clone of the competing product.

We've done this dance in the past regarding Origin before... and as I said back then, if I have a small boookstore with a limited selection of books, and a huge Waterstones opens up on the same street I'm on, then they're my competition even if being equivalent to them is impossible for me. Every time I sell a book they also have in stock, I'm taking a sale from them, and vice versa. I don't have to pose a serious threat to be competing with them. Even with completely exclusive items this is still true. There isn't anything on the menu at McDonalds that I can buy at Burger King. Would it be better for the consumer if I could buy a Big Mac from Burger King, or Uncharted on Wii U... sure... but that's not the point. Competition very commonly results in fragmentation. It's pretty much the defining cause of it in nearly all cases.

BBboy20

These launchers/stores are power plays by big publishers so they don't have to be explicitly attached/dependent to a third party service like Steam. Also by doing this they lock users access to their games to themselves (for more of a sense of control perhaps?). This is definitely one of the worst trends in PC gaming. I don't think I have ever heard any normal person say they enjoy this shit.
angry%2Bjoe%2Bfuck%2Byou%2Bgive%2Bme%2Bmoney.gif

30% of the 10's of millions of digital PC games they sell is a lot of cheddar. Even if they only drive 5-10% of people to side step Steam and buy direct, you're still talking 10's of millions of dollars, which should easily cover the cost of setting up their own platform. I mean it's bad for customers, who don't want to DL, install, and keep up with 8 different logins/passes, but they don't give a shit about that.
Of course they don't, because they also don't give a shit about their craft; this a literal means to an end of just getting more money to sit their tushes on. I've had Origins since 2011 and even now it is still a bare bones experience. Who the hell is going to expect a company like this to give a two-bits of a shit about my user experience?

Yes, Steam is still the largest single store. And yes, they still have the best brand recognition. But in my eyes, Valve is starting to look a lot weaker than they once did.
How? You think this is just about us worrying about getting games? Because the Storefront has evolved beyond that.

How? You think this is just about us worrying about getting games? Because the Storefront has evolved beyond that.

So if Steam no longer had the big game releases, you think it would still be such a central destination? Seems to me the storefront is the main attraction.

Alternately... is there something about these clients I just don't understand?

Look, I hate Steam, just as I hate Origin (albeit less because Origin's interface isn't crap) and UPlay and all the others. I like GOG but only because their client is optional. The only thing I want in my gaming life is the ability to click on a game and play it, and as far as I'm concerned all of these clients are just unnecessary bloatware that gets in my way. I don't need a gaming social network.

So, what I'm saying is, it's perfectly possible I'm missing something.

If this becomes the default for future releases then the DOOM GOTY edition will be an easy last purchase as far as I'm concerned, as I'm a big fan of open modding.

Edit: On second thought, an Obsidian-led Fallout would have me return.

Chief_Mitch

God... Not another one. I'm happy with Steam, and i dont mind Battle.net at all. (and it actually makes my life easier so i dont need to use authenticators all the time!)

But the rest of them i just do not want on my PC at all. The Origin system was getting better but then i had a debacle of trying to get into contact with customer support for like 2 months and removed it and all its games from my PC on principle. And uPlay has come a long way but its still just extra rubbish i really dont want or NEED on my system.

Top Bottom