• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a massive restaurant industry bubble, and it's about to burst

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

The Halal Guys are actually going to be opening a chain of restaurants similar in idea to Five Guys Burgers. They are going big time.

Halal Guys has opened in Houston, and it's good but not as good as in NY. In Houston I prefer Gyro King over Halal Guys.

Dartastic

Smallwares was just too expensive for what you got. If its gonna be really expensive with tiny portions it needs to be knockout good, like Yakuza. Smallwares was also in a bad location for being expensive.
Agreed with all of this, even though Smallwares was dope.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
A lot of what I just read there sounded like "pay my employees? But don't wanna! Wah!"

I thought it was something like 80% of restaurants fail since restaurants have been a thing.

It's really fast in the PNW though, I'd walk down a block in Vancouver BC or Portland and a month later all the restaurants except one were new.
80% of all new businesses fail. The lives of businesses are measured at one year, three years, five years, and seven years. Most don't make it past three.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Halal Guys has opened in Houston, and it's good but not as good as in NY. In Houston I prefer Gyro King over Halal Guys.

Didn't realize they'd actually opened spots. I'm guessing they're outside of New York state proper as I haven't seen a single one. However I was always wondering if a chain restaurant could match the bliss that is Halal Guys cart food. Nothing better on a late night in NYC than some good cart food to help with your buzz.

Sydney? I do hope that there's no tipping "culture" in there. Works out to about 16.6/h USD. Damn nice. You also get what, 20 paid vacation days a year?

I'm just out of Melbourne.
I'm paid as a casual so I don't get paid leave, but I still get double pay on public holidays which worked out well over new years!

And yeah tipping is rare here. Sometimes customers appreciate good service and give me some extra though :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Which place is this?

I feel bad for Dos Chopstix, but I don't want to be the only one in the restaurant either.

It also annoys me that Pflugerville is known for its large Vietnamese population, but there's only one pho restaurant :(

There's many pho places near 35/45 tho.

The place is near Taste of Ethiopia, which is awesome.

Name history:
1. Kasian Fusion: Does this mean Korean/Asian Fusion (but Korean is Asian, wtf confusing), or Cajun/Asian? No idea. Failed already.
2. Four Elements: Failed quickly. If you google it you get lots of massage places. Great name.
3. Oriental Cafe (I think?). Just opened. At least it's to the point.

Just open a Ramen place please.

The Halal Guys are actually going to be opening a chain of restaurants similar in idea to Five Guys Burgers. They are going big time.

One opened in Las Vegas (in Chinatown) late last year, its ok I think most bigger cities have local gyro/falalfel/schwarma places that are going to be far superior. There are at least 4-5 other med/greek places in Vegas that serve better food at similar prices and I imagine it'll be the same in LA, SF, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

What made the halal guys special in NYC is the price, high food turnover (so it was always fresh) and location (cart), in most cities the price advantage just isn't going to be there.

The great thing about the vegas spot is its hours, its open 10am - 4am every day. Yup, hungry and drunk at 2AM then fuck ya a gyro or chicken & rice is fantastic.

I sort of feel like a "bubble" requires some sort of mass-scale influencer, like all these restaurants taking advantage of some unreasonable tax credits that are due to be repealed or a reliance on a logistical supply chain that's unsustainable, or something.

If it's just, "A lot of restaurants will go out of business because too many people open restaurants and most of them aren't even that good!" that's not a bubble, that's just the way the restaurant industry has actually always worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom