• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's Korean writing in Surgery Simulator...and has nothing to do with Half-Life.

k_trout

The people who played through the last ARG got the entire Valve Complete Pack + Portal 2 for the price of buying the Potato Sack Pack of games (which iirc was about $20), plus it was a really fun ARG. So of course people are gonna be excited!

i meant the emotion towards a company for not delivering what "I" want

i just dont understand being pissed at valve or any entertaiment company for any reason other than they moved into your neighbourhood and started shaving cats or something

Kerub

Banned
Pfft, what an obvious cover up story.

You people must be so gullible if you believe that tweet.

Yeah.

I google translated his "Hey everyone. Good night's sleep? ;)" tweet to korean, and got "모두 안녕. 숙면? ;)". Now, I don't know korean but that seems like three to me. Maybe it's another ARG?

I know this doesn't apply to valve but, The "it'll worth the wait!" has really been destroyed over the last few years with Duke Nukem Forever, and Diablo 3. Ok, maybe less so for Duke but definitely for Diablo 3. I just haven't been let down yet by valve but ....well the current trend for the "when its done" crowd isn't holding up lately.

/freakout

Protein

Banned
A 28-page thread on nothing. Yep sounds like a Half-Life 3 tinfoil hat speculation thread. The internet is literally going to physically collapse when it's finally announced.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's even shittier when a bunch of people jump to conclusions and scold a dev for doing nothing except messing with the looney.

It's just as shitty. People are as good as the conditions allow. People are desperate for HL3 and if an indie just "casually" put something strange under a statue related to a Valve game, people will start hoping for the best. If anything blaming fans for this is shittier than the entire situation, but whatever, I know it's not your intention.

Anyway, what a letdown. Oh well.

A 28-page thread on nothing. Yep sounds like a Half-Life 3 tinfoil hat speculation thread. The internet is literally going to physically collapse when it's finally announced.

Alright, in the defense of those that thought this was Valve related (not necessarily HL3 related), here was the situation:

It wasn't completely unreasonable to consider Valve was up to something. If it was all just a crazy coincidence, it's really unfortunate that an indie developer's neat riddle was blown way out of portion and causing let downs instead of fun, but if they did it intentionally to promote their game, I understand the annoyance. The worst of it, though, is the internet is likely overreacting to their disappointment and making some pretty hateful attacks on the SS2013 devs because of this.

Sibylus

Banned
They do need to say something. I don't think they're treating Half-Life fans with respect, and that whole chat about Ricochet 2 annoyed me because of the coyness of it all.
Eh, talking about the food has never improved the flavor. We can talk about disrespect if it isn't any good. This is all a sideshow until that point in time.

Eh, talking about the food has never improved the flavor. We can talk about disrespect if it isn't any good. This is all a sideshow until that point in time.

The flavor of what? We have no idea what's going on with it, and it's annoying. Why not just release some tidbits here and there to keep fans happy? Old concept art, old ideas – anything!

Sibylus

Banned
The flavor of what? We have no idea what's going on with it, and it's annoying. Why not just release some tidbits here and there to keep fans happy? Old concept art, old ideas – anything!
The quality of the game, Dax. Half-Life 2 was practically the second coming with the way it was talked about, and only achieved one of the better games ever made. I can deal with them not torturing me with the thousand and one ways they're figuring out what Half-Life 3 is. That's material for the post-mortem.

The quality of the game, Dax. Half-Life 2 was practically the second coming with the way it was talked about, and only achieved one of the better games ever made. I can deal with them not torturing me with the thousand and one ways they're figuring out what Half-Life 3 is. That's material for the post-mortem.
There are ways to talk about a game without hyping it up.

.... There's still an unsolved puzzle here.

Jesus Christ. I feel bad for the SS2013 guys. They try to add something fun for owners of their game to promote something new, and nobody cares because they got their hopes up for HL.

Sibylus

Banned
There are ways to talk about a game without hyping it up.
You say this in a thread where fans hype themselves up off korean words off a random texture in a completely unrelated game
Yep, lol. Since circa 1999, talking about it in any respect has made waves. I can respect silence, because it's borne out of caution and experience (in this case, the ample experience of saying a lot of things they've had to walk back).

Edit: Though it may be more accurate to characterize it as "long periods of silence punctuated by very, very carefully weighed statements".

i meant the emotion towards a company for not delivering what "I" want

i just dont understand being pissed at valve or any entertaiment company for any reason other than they moved into your neighbourhood and started shaving cats or something

Ah. Yeah that is kinda silly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Jesus Christ. I feel bad for the SS2013 guys. They try to add something fun for owners of their game to promote something new, and nobody cares because they got their hopes up for HL.

I feel but for them too. But in defence of the madness, a Korean text puzzle occurring at the same time as Half-Life 2 updating with Korean language support is about as unlucky an accident as they could get. And, if anything, the knee jerk insanity just goes to show how voracious Half-Life fans still are after six fucking year.

Valve dug their own bloody hole.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
At least it brought me back to play Half-Life 1 the whole afternoon.

Was a lot of fun to run through Black Mesa again and kill some Aliens and Soldiers^^

chiablo

I feel but for them too. But in defence of the madness, a Korean text puzzle occurring at the same time as Half-Life 2 updating with Korean language support is about as unlucky an accident as they could get. And, if anything, the knee jerk insanity just goes to show how voracious Half-Life fans still are after six fucking year.

Valve dug their own bloody hole.

I think you are over thinking this. Outside of a thread on Neogaf, thread on facepunch, and a poorly written article on Kotaku, this has had no wide-spread circulation. By Monday, nobody will remember this even happened. No reason to throw them under the bus for something so harmless.

If anything, this was a clever and hilarious marketing stunt by the Surgeon Simulator devs that resulted in several additional sales from clue hunters. More power to them if this was the intended purpose, I just hope it doesn't become a trend with Indie developers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think you are over thinking this. Outside of a thread on Neogaf, thread on facepunch, and a poorly written article on Kotaku, this has had no wide-spread circulation. By Monday, nobody will remember this even happened. No reason to throw them under the bus for something so harmless.

I wasn't throwing anybody under a bus or implying this is a bigger situation than gamer forum e-gossip. Moreso than this is what happens when you've got a fanbase like Half-Life's who are so insane they'll find lambda symbols in the clouds and scream ARG.

I feel for anybody who gets caught up in the hysteria, and am also kinda impressed the fanbase is still so feverish.

Sentenza

While I would generally agree (and I used to be the first in the past to mock the community for this atrocious habit of building expectations over nothing and then blaming Valve of "trolling") in this case I have little sympathy for them because everything about this puzzle felt like a deliberate and disingenuous attempt to suggest the link with Valve to build up buzz around their game.
i already explained why in previous posts so I won't repeat myself.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder if the Surgeon Simulator 2013 ARG is just the date for their special discount on the summer sale.

Wasn't there a date that Saturn will appear to be between Venus and Mercury when looking from the Earth?

Edit: Oh, it's in september. Nevermind:

I don't know if that was already mentioned, but I ran my planetarium software and found that between September 27 and September 30 this year Saturn will be pretty much between Venus and Mercury (at least as seen from Earth).

Edit: The dim star slightly down and to the right of Saturn is called lambda Virginis by the way!!!

I've never played any of the Half-life games because I'm an impatient person and I really don't want to play to the end of them and then just have to wait forever. Once I hear the most general type of release date ("sometime next year"), then I'll be jumping in.

Feel bad for you guys waiting six long years :(

DBPlayer

Banned
man I knew it... it's just SS devs having fun with their own fanbase, and got blind-sided. Poor devs now the crazy fanboys will hate your game just because you used Korean...

mango drank

BsoG6rw.gif

Internet says ... it's Sara Eisen of Bloomberg TV, and the strap-on looking thing might be some electronics that go w/ her mic, which is pinned to her collar. Apparently some female news anchors strap this stuff to their thighs.

Edit: also, erm...
markets-reporter-sara-eisen-spent-her-birthday-sunday-night-working-i-chatted-with-john-chambers-of-sp-off-set-and-told-him-he-ruined-my-birthday-weekend-and-he-said-his-weekend-was-a-lot-worse-she-told-us.jpg

Joe Molotov

Internet says ... it's Sara Eisen of Bloomberg TV, and the strap-on looking thing might be some electronics that go w/ her mic, which is pinned to her collar. Apparently some female news anchors strap this stuff to their thighs.

Edit: also, erm...
markets-reporter-sara-eisen-spent-her-birthday-sunday-night-working-i-chatted-with-john-chambers-of-sp-off-set-and-told-him-he-ruined-my-birthday-weekend-and-he-said-his-weekend-was-a-lot-worse-she-told-us.jpg

Thread redeemed.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Surgeon Simulator is the daily sale?

And it's 33% off

The price now is 6,99, both multiples of 3.

Just coincidence?
I don't think so

Top Bottom