• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theresa May to campaign to take UK out of ECHR in 2020 election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

Demographics (i.e old people dying and young people coming of voting age and scuppering this) will hopefully make this electorally difficult, but I can't say I'm too hopeful.

Theresa May really is rotten. I need to get out of this shithole of a country.

nampad

How can people be ok with this? Goddamn you have to be even stupider than what I expected the average Brexit voter to be. But I guess they deserve it.

Demographics (i.e old people dying and young people coming of voting age and scuppering this) will hopefully make this electorally difficult, but I can't say I'm too hopeful.

Theresa May really is rotten. I need to get out of this shithole of a country.

Nah, young people don't vote. By the time they start doing so it's too late.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I can't figure how this would be argued for in any feasible way. People are worried about the lagging NHS, costly rail tickets, rising property prices and the standing of whatever post-Brexit economy we end up with. To argue for fiddling with human rights for no beneficial reason is being highly redundant to what people really want.

From the comments:

"This delay - and with it the message that we still cannot protect our way of life against immigrant outrage - is totally unacceptable. The abuse of our laws by "human rights" activist lawyers is a total scandal."

-John Glenville-Downing

These people vote.

I will never for the life of me understand the intense fear of immigrants.

I can't figure how this would be argued for in any feasible way. People are worried about the lagging NHS, costly rail tickets, rising property prices and the standing of whatever post-Brexit economy we end up with. To argue about changing human rights is being highly redundant to what people want.

All they have to do is say it'll help them deport terrorists and remove voting rights from prisoners and people will lap it up.

Bold One

I will never for the life of me understand the intense fear of immigrants.

A few decades subsisting on a steady diet of this:

Express-cover-montage.jpg

After seeing how bad she's bungling the whole Brexit thing, I'm not 100% sure she'll be able to get her wish.

That is, of course, assuming that Labour gets their shit together. Which may be too much to expect from them.

the thing is people don't think she's bungling it up really - if anything most brexit voters want us to have started the process already. she'd win an election easily.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
All they have to do is say it'll help them deport terrorists and remove voting rights from prisoners and people will lap it up.

What terrorists? And is the prisoner population sizable enough to influence elections in any way? They aren't benefits for the people, they're just conveniences for the government, and a waste of money to focus on in any way.

RulkezX

You forgot "protect our soldiers from ambulance chasing lawyers"

All the whole Corbyn is pushing a hugely unpopular "let's have witch hunts and find some soldiers to prosecute" narrative.

Biske

Ah, I remember those times when us libby Americans looked to the EU and countries like the UK as some kind of Liberal paradise where people made smart compassionate decisions.

Welcome to hell my overseas friends.

Only gets worse and worse.

What terrorists? And is the prisoner population sizable enough to influence elections in any way? They aren't benefits for the people, they're just conveniences for the government to do whatever they want.

I agree with you but thats not how the average bloke dahhn pub will see it. Believe it or not but people do get heated about prisoners being able to vote.

You forgot "protect our soldiers from ambulance chasing lawyers"

All the whole Corbyn is pushing a hugely unpopular "let's have witch hunts and find some soldiers to prosecute" narrative.

Right. They just need to find the right angle which is pretty easy with all the manufactured outrage going round these days.

offshore

Well seeing as it's got the word "European" in it, it probably means the British public will vote to leave it :/

I honestly can't think of a country I'd trust the least to write its own civil liberties and human rights than the UK.

What terrorists? And is the prisoner population sizable enough to influence elections in any way? They aren't benefits for the people, they're just conveniences for governments.

1 terrorist, and he was still deported after the ECHR was satisfied that basic human rights were protected. So no, ECHR doesn't stop you deporting serious criminals and terrorists. Human rights are for all human beings, and they don't stop applying when there's a few bad people that need dealing with.

Canada and Australia lets prisoners vote, nobody really cares about that except Stephen Harper who tried to get rid of their votes but the Canadian constitution stopped him. If anything it instills a sense of civic responsibility in them. If they want to engage politically then good for them.

BibiMaghoo

Her hands were tied for years as HS because of EU human rights, and that was as it should be. It is a personal beef for her I'm sure, to see that ended.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I agree with you but thats not how the average bloke dahhn pub will see it. Believe it or not but people do get heated about prisoners being able to vote.

The last I remember hearing about anything to do with prisoners is the government being defeated on limiting the books they could read to a white list.

On a side note, I think this is a passive admission that Brexit is going to be a much bigger problem to deal with. I'll just consider this a extension to 2020 for me to figure leaving the UK for Japan.

Zelias

Banned
Completely unsurprised. May's been gunning for the ECHR for years, backed up by a right-wing media campaign that presents human rights as a charter for terrorists, criminals and wicked foreigners. Sad state of affairs.

RulkezX

Her hands were tied for years as HS because of EU human rights, and that was as it should be. It is a personal beef for her I'm sure, to see that ended.

Ok , but how do you convince the populace that a bill of rights that doesn't allow the UK to deport foreign nationals preaching hate is a good thing. Especially one conditioned by the red top rags ?

If a British bill of Rights keeps the protections but allows the courts to easily deport people like Abu Hamza , it'll be hugely popular with middle and Northern England ( Scotland will waste their vote on the SNP in the general)

I know is the GAF thing to pretend the sky is falling, but they're not going to start disappearing the citizenry for wrong think or ban Gay marriage or limit gay rights if they abolish the ECHR. This is something that's probably going to happen unless a real opposition forms soon and/or Brexit stops Towie getting made.

LoveCake

Won't be able to take the UK out of ECHR until the UK leave the EU which it won't have done by 2020, if ever.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
They're already happening, food prices have definitely gone up, but the Brexit voters won't care because fuck you.
The sheer denial.
The pound trades almost at 1:1 with USD, yet no one says anything. They know their vote caused the pound to suffer. They dont care. But that wont matter in the long run; when food and goods go up in prices, people start selling their pounds and trading them for more valuable currencies in case it slumps even further, then it wont matter how much denial they put on.

Bold One

Ok , but how do you convince the populace that a bill of rights that doesn't allow the UK to deport foreign nationals preaching hate ?

If a British bill of Rights keeps the protections but allows the courts to easily deport people like Abu Hamza , it'll be hugely popular.

I know is the GAF thing to pretend the sky is falling, but they're not going to start disappearing the citizenry for wrong think or ban Gay marriage or limit gay rights if they abolish the ECHR.

They just passed a law that allows the Food Standards Agency to have unfettered access to your internet search history, do not profess to know what this government will and will not do.
MartialPonders.png

TeddyBoy

Disabled people are fucked if this happens.

You act like the Conservatives care for disabled people, you either work or you don't in their eyes.

I can't figure how this would be argued for in any feasible way. People are worried about the lagging NHS, costly rail tickets, rising property prices and the standing of whatever post-Brexit economy we end up with. To argue for fiddling with human rights for no beneficial reason is being highly redundant to what people really want.

If we removed the rights to not be slaves, everything is cheaper!
For your new Conservative overlords.

I was walking around Leicester the other day and there was a fairground ride (as there often are) with lots of little planes going round in circles each with a flag on it. I overheard some people saying how they wanted to burn that one.

Some people here really hate Europe, regardless of whether it's something good or not. It seems that the ECHR is no exception.

I despair sometimes.

The worrying thing is everyone will look at brexit as an example of basically nothing going wrong as the effects of brexit potentially won't have even kicked in yet

It's likely all the people who voted brexit in a slightly ignorant way will basically do the same again which is incredibly depressing

Pretty much

They're going to do what got the votes until it stops getting the votes, and the voters aren't going to stop believing everything against it is just scare tactics, and not the truth

This is a bad unbreakable cycle we're all headed for, and there's no way out

RulkezX

The sheer denial.
The pound trades almost at 1:1 with USD, yet no one says anything. They know their vote caused the pound to suffer. They dont care. But that wont matter in the long run; when food and goods go up in prices, people start selling their pounds and trading them for more valuable currencies in case it slumps even further, then it wont matter how much denial they put on.

Yeah but the BoE had been trying to depreciate the £ for years init.

/s

Ok , but how do you convince the populace that a bill of rights that doesn't allow the UK to deport foreign nationals preaching hate is a good thing. Especially one conditioned by the red top rags ?

If a British bill of Rights keeps the protections but allows the courts to easily deport people like Abu Hamza , it'll be hugely popular with middle and Northern England ( Scotland will waste their vote on the SNP in the general)

I know is the GAF thing to pretend the sky is falling, but they're not going to start disappearing the citizenry for wrong think or ban Gay marriage or limit gay rights if they abolish the ECHR. This is something that's probably going to happen unless a real opposition forms soon and/or Brexit stops Towie getting made.

It didn't stop his deportation. And protections of rights should be robust. Working as intended.

Beefy

You act like the Conservatives care for disabled people, you either work or you don't in their eyes.[/SPOILER]

I don't act like that at all. Being classed as disabled myself we are treated like shit as it is, it will be even worse if this happens.

I wonder if my classmate from university still wants to immigrate to the UK after all this Theresa May nonsense. He got top grades in a STEM subject and still couldn't get a work visa because no employer could be bothered to sponsor him. His job wasn't on the very small shortage list so he was boned.

Uzzy

Why is this a thing? What's the (political) goal here? Take the UK out of the EHCR, but basically write it into UK law.. seems pointless?

It's red meat for the base, and stops them being outflanked on the right by UKIP and their propaganda wing at the Mail and Express. There's been scare stories about the ECHR for years, about how it stops terrible foreign criminals being deported because they have a cat, or how it insists on giving prisoners the right to vote, so pulling out of the convention would be politically appealing and win some votes.

RulkezX

It didn't stop his deportation. And protections of rights should be robust. Working as intended.

Not to the voting public.

I know GAF has difficulty seeing how anyone could see things from any view not the lefts , but this a basically a freebie for them , it'll be a hugely popular manifesto pledge.

99.99% of people don't see what the ECHR do for them and their only exposure to it is the cat thing or the Hamza saga. The Tories know their new base , which is hilarious in that it now seems to be the lower classes rather than the well to do middle.

As a Scot and given we have our own laws and court system I expect the SNP to fight to remain part of the ECHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom