• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*They pick a Widow or Hanzo*

caesar

Banned
I don't mind Hanzo and Widow at all.... Unless they're picked on attack. Then I feel a wave of nerd rage wash over me as my eyes glaze over and my hands reach for the keyboard to belt out a 'bruh, sniper on attack cmon'. Then my hate subsides as I realize getting angry over a someone going sniper is dumb as hell.....because no one went healer.

But they are better on attack.

Anoxida

But they are better on attack.

This is true actually. In the right hands they are better on attack for sure. But without insane movement, aim and awareness they suck at attacking. If diamiond or below pick them on attack you're fucking right to be worried.

I'm curious what the "they paid for it so let them play how they want to" crew thinks about a Mei who keeps walling the team inside spawn continuously.

Yukinari

I used to play a lot of matches with widows who were in masters and even then they had off days where they played like complete shit.

You cant rely on a widow or hanzo to carry you all the time no matter how good they are. It wont win games.

Defuser

Sometimes I wonder if I should try Overwatch... and then a thread like this shows up on Gaf...
This thread only refers to the competitive mode side of Overwatch which you can totally avoid it and just stick to Quickplay and Arcade mode which are fun where nobody give a shit of what you pick.

Competitve mode is where all the rage,salt and hate against these heroes are.

This is kind of understating the impact of a bad Rein.

A bad Rein can make it impossible getting through the gate of Hanamura. If they're constantly charging in, getting ice walled off from the team or losing teammates due to bad firestrikes then he isn't accomplishing anything more than the Widow whiffing her shots.

In fact, he's more of a detriment since he's feeding ult to the enemy team. That extra health for "soaking bullets" is actually tipping the ult economy against your team. And since Rein is essential for breaking chokes, it also means your team is sitting back doing nothing while waiting for him to respawn, trudge back and fail at breaking the choke again and again. And, of course, he's locking up the Rein pick so you can't have someone to switch over and take his place because there's literally no other tank that does what he does.

The problem with Overwatch is that it's a team based game so anyone failing to do their role is going to have a large impact on your success. You're right that the ideal situation is that everyone has a squad of six to practice and improve with but it's not really possible. I play quickplay precisely to cut down on the number of frustrated teammates unhappy because they're not winning.

I mean, I'm equally annoyed by instant pick Hanzo/Widow/Genji in every game especially since nine times out of ten they're not very good but there's really nothing that I can do about it. I can't make them switch to a necessary hero (always tanks and healers too hm...) and play better at it. What I can do is just let it slide. It's only a game. We can't win every time. Besides, there's always mistakes that I'll be making regardless of who they play or how they play them. I find the better approach is to focus on your own play and enjoyment.

Complaining about someone's pick is almost never going to get you a win, get them to switch or get them to play better so all you're doing is annoying your teammates and possibly tilting them in the process.

While I agree I also think more people who pick Rein pick him because they understand the value he brings and want to win. On the otherhand I think a lot of of players who choose hanzo/widow and a lesser extent certain other heroes pick them because they want to pull off some sick plays. Sure that doesn't apply to everyone but its inevitable. Rein isn't seen as an exciting character to play. Same with a lot of other characters mainly support and tanks. It always happens and it isn't even an problem exclusive to overwatch. Damage dealers/assassin/sniper type characters typically always have a higher pick rate in class based games. Ranging from moba, shooters mmos etc.

This thread only refers to the competitive mode side of Overwatch which you can totally avoid it and just stick to Quickplay and Arcade mode which are fun where nobody give a shit of what you pick.

Competitve mode is where all the rage,salt and hate against these heroes are.

Yea despite some claims to the contrary I personally haven't had much problem in Quick Play or Arcade on PC. What usually happens is that no one actually talks at all and sometimes people type gg in chat at the end of the game

I'm abroad right now and can't play but before that I mostly just hit Quick Play, insta-locked McCree and practiced shooting people.

opricnik

Banned
What i hate its most , those people are trying new characters in competitve mode.

FFS why would you choose Mcree,Genj,Widow,Tracer,hanzo etc if you never played those before and your aim is shit in competitive?

Yukinari

What i hate its most , those people are trying new characters in competitve mode.

FFS why would you choose Mcree,Genj,Widow,Tracer,hanzo etc if you never played those before and your aim is shit in competitive?

I would honestly rather do the DPS job than have to keep filling for Rein/Ana

Defuser

I wish all this widow and hanzo mains rather spent their time and effort into playing Ana instead. That would be a bigger contribution instead.

I roll my eyes when I see the Hanzo Genji Widowmaker trivets getting instapicked, but I'll never complain until I see them in action. And I if I complain I never call them bad or useless, I just say we could use x.

In high school, people would get the shit kicked of them for playing Eddie when we played Tekken 3 after school at the local Blockbuster.

Piers

I become irritated when people choose them on Attack, especially during the first Hanamura/Anubis point.
It's a literal "You guys go ahead because I don't want to die trying to capture the point"

The only way to scatter and break up the enemy team is to start capturing in order to throw them off. Trying to kill all the players huddling the choke point isn't very productive of the match time.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I become irritated when people choose them on Attack, especially during the first Hanamura/Anubis point.
It's a literal "You guys go ahead because I don't want to die trying to capture the point"

The only way to scatter and break up the enemy team is to start capturing in order to throw them off. Trying to kill all the players huddling the choke point isn't very productive of the match time.

Most of the time is a net benefit for Defense

Always a 5 vs 6 battle
They chip enemies down rather than killing them, unless there that 1% who shines, resulting healers ultimates rising quicker than the Ultimate battery that is a Road hog
So your at a disadvantage there too

If there's a Sniper on there side, yes you can go counter with yours
If the team on Defense is not favoring a Widow or Hanzo, switch off
Most don't do it

Anubis A has horrible sight lines for Attack snipers, B a little more open, but not by much
Same goes for Hanamura

Then Ultimates of both Widow and Hanzo need a team make to use advantage of
Hanzo can use it more efficiently with a Zarya Ult or do a Team push using the Dragon as a shield, everyone folllwing suit
Widows Ult favors back line harassers, say a Genji, Tracer, Pharah to pick off squishy Heroes and alerting them to Heroes that may counter against that

LQX

Also, Mei. I don't know why people hate Mei. Worse, they always blame you for the loss no matter how well you do. Fuck that, I'm going to keep playing as Mei.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also, Mei. I don't know why people hate Mei. Worse, they always blame you for the loss no matter how well you do. Fuck that, I'm going to keep playing as Mei.

Ice wall shenanigans
Also in a game of mobility and trying to flank to gain advantage, she slows everyone done

That Brrr cold stream hits an enemy, you hear them to start shivering, frozen, icicle headshot
Also Ice Block on point or payload as last grasp of extended time on either side, especially Defend with Ice Wall near a walled corner

People rather get hit with a discord mind you than get frozen by Mei, crazy

I just hate dealing with a Hanzo on the other team. As a sniper, he shouldn't be able to whip around if I'm flanking and immediately kill me with either Scatter Arrow or getting an instant headshot. At least with Widow she can be devastating, but counterable. If it were up to me, I'd take Hanzo out of the game entirely.

But on topic, no I don't really throw a fit at people choosing him on my team. I will probably silently blame him if we lose though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Is the title of this thread a quote from Nioh? I think I just got there after beating the 3rd (2nd?) boss.

Not a quote, it's a problem playing Overwatch with randoms.

latest

hanzo-gameplay.jpg

These two actively hurt your team.

Which makes one wonder how half the posters in this thread are so confident that it's the Widow/Hanzo on the team not contributing? You can't see anyone's medals, never mind their actual KDA. All you have to go on is your "gut". It could very well be the Rein diving more than shielding or the McCree that can't hit the broad side of a barn, or poor coordination in general...but you've tunnel visioned so hard on Widow/Hanzo that you never figured out where the *actual* problem lies.

Confirmation bias is a helluva drug. I'll say it again: the sooner some of you stop trying to find someone to blame for your inability to advance, the sooner you start actually getting better.

But they've googled tier lists! Check mate, Widow.

Top Bottom