• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with food stamps."

Status
Not open for further replies.

slit

AlternativeUlster said:
Aren't resumes supposed to be suited towards the job you are applying for though? Like I am not going to write on my resume that I worked at a Chinese restaurant for a couple of months when I am applying to be an editor at a local TV station.
It depends on what kind of job it is. The end result is to make your resume look competitive. If you list your last relevent job as as happening 5 or 10 years ago then your potential employer is gonna ask what have been up to since then and if you lie and say nothing, he's gonna wanna hire someone that has more recent experience.

grumble

Vague said:
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

My fiance and I pay $500.00 in January and June for fresh picked organic produce (10-30 pounds each week depending on harvest and weather) through a local farmer CSA. They pick it every Tuesday morning and we pick it up every Tuesday evening. That works out to be about $80 a month. We also get two dozen farm fresh eggs with each Tuesday delivery.

Half a slaughtered pastured steer once a year costs around $1000 for roughly 500 pounds of beef and a berkshire hog, about the same price for 400 pounds of pork, all various cuts. That works out to about $160 dollars a month, less if it lasts us longer than a year to eat it all (and it probably will)

So $240 a month for us to eat grass fed steaks, 2 inch thick pork chops, orange yolk eggs and organic fresh from the ground produce in a rural town in the south east. ~$2.60 a meal.

We go to the store maybe once a month at most and grow all our own herbs and spices. I bet we spend way less than most people spend eating shitty bread, waffles, pasta, soda and "government cheese". Go hipsters for being in tune with quality food actually being cheaper than the garbage most people eat.

That sounds great! They are however buying much of said food at whole foods, which is notoriously expensive. In fact, that cost-effective direct purchasing is not even generally available via food stamps. It is possible that they are also eating quality food very frugally much like you, but it is far, far more likely that they are wasting money. 99% of people eating grass-fed beef and organic produce in urban centers pay a big premium for it.

BigGreenMat said:
I wish I could get food stamps. My food bill's are CRAZY. How are these single hipsters getting $200 per month for food!?!?

TFA said:
Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding -- and her usual gigs -- to dry up.

TFA said:
"There are many 20-somethings from educated families who go through a period of unemployment and live very frugally, maybe even technically in poverty, who now qualify," said Parke Wilde, a food economist at Tufts University who has written extensively about food stamp usage and policy.

TFA said:
But general unemployment figures among the group are stark: Between the ends of 2007 and 2009, unemployment among those aged 20 to 34 rose 100 percent, and between 2006 and 2009, unemployment among those with a bachelor's degree or higher was up 179 percent.

Yeah, get yourself fired and qualify for food stamps! Yay!

grumble said:
That sounds great! They are however buying much of said food at whole foods, which is notoriously expensive. In fact, that cost-effective direct purchasing is not even generally available via food stamps. It is possible that they are also eating quality food very frugally much like you, but it is far, far more likely that they are wasting money. 99% of people eating grass-fed beef and organic produce in urban centers pay a big premium for it.

Where do you get that they are buying much of the food at Whole Foods? The article suggests that they shop around at a variety of places to help them get the various things that they want.

Vague

grumble said:

I think you might be surprised. Organic farm fresh produce is available for cheap almost everywhere: http://www.localharvest.org/

And almost all major cities have farmers markets that accept SNAP benefits: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/EBT/ebt_farmers_markstatus.htm

The local markets it talks about could very well be one of those.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Brera said:
Do McDonalds take food stamps?

Yeah.

grumble said:
This isn't the only evidence of waste or the largest, but it IS evidence of waste. If someone was collecting welfare and buying flatscreen TVs and sweet furniture, the situation would be similar.

Sometimes I think people will defend ANYTHING here.

What a disgusting analogy.

If you buy a flatscreen TV, you can watch HD channels and play videogames in 16:9 resolution. New furniture makes you more comfortable when sitting down.

Buying food keeps you alive, and eating better food improves your quality of health both short- and long-term.

Since anecdotal evidence seems so compelling in this thread, I just went to Publix and put my lunch together rather than eating out as usual. I just got ingredients for a simple chicken salad sandwich (with Publix's chicken salad. Making it from scratch at home would have cut the whole cost in half of course). For $1.50 less than Publix's premade sandwiches at the deli, and roughly half the price of a chicken salad sandwich at a restaurant where I live, I am just as full as I would've been with either of those options, and it was delicious (I got some dill weed to add to it, mmm. it cost $2.49 but I probably used $0.15 worth at most). And I have leftover bread and chicken salad.

...in summary, this thread has motivated me to take the time to put a lunch together at work more often.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Vague said:
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

My fiance and I pay $500.00 in January and June for fresh picked organic produce (10-30 pounds each week depending on harvest and weather) through a local farmer CSA. They pick it every Tuesday morning and we pick it up every Tuesday evening. That works out to be about $80 a month. We also get two dozen farm fresh eggs with each Tuesday delivery.

Half a slaughtered pastured steer once a year costs around $1000 for roughly 500 pounds of beef and a berkshire hog, about the same price for 400 pounds of pork, all various cuts. That works out to about $160 dollars a month, less if it lasts us longer than a year to eat it all (and it probably will)

So $240 a month for us to eat grass fed steaks, 2 inch thick pork chops, orange yolk eggs and organic fresh from the ground produce in a rural town in the south east. ~$2.60 a meal.

We go to the store maybe once a month at most and grow all our own herbs and spices. I bet we spend way less than most people spend eating shitty bread, waffles, pasta, soda and "government cheese". Go hipsters for being in tune with quality food actually being cheaper than the garbage most people eat.

I applaud thee. I can't wait to register with a CSA farm.

slit

levious said:
I thought they could not be used on any prepared food?
Usually you can't, but if you're considered disabled you can get prepared meals with foodstamps. I don't know if McDonalds specifically does that though. For example I used to volunteer for meals on wheels and they accepted it.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, the distinction isn't even prepared meals, just whether it's hot or cold. A friend of mine gets foodstamps and she uses them at Sheetz, which is a convience store chains and buys cold subs with them.

ElectricBlue187 said:
You can read that mutherfucker all year long and not be an inch closer to being an employed engineer, the same isn't true for artists

Yeah, the same that you can study art for years and still not be able to draw more than stick figures. I'm not saying it's right, but there is talent (as there is for those in the engineering field) in art so don't be a douche.

Mudkips

Banned
Anyone receiving any government assistance should be subject to auditing.

Anything spent on non-essentials (as defined in the program) should be taken back forcibly.

From the lowliest hobo to the too-big-to-failest bank.

I don't give a fuck if hipsters are spending food stamps on fancy food. I give a fuck that they're spending food stamps on fancy food while spending their own money on other shit they don't need.

They treat food stamps as additional income instead of as a safety net.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
that sort of auditing program would be way to expensive and ultimately wasteful to implement.

Mudkips said:
Anyone receiving any government assistance should be subject to auditing.

Anything spent on non-essentials (as defined in the program) should be taken back forcibly.

From the lowliest hobo to the too-big-to-failest bank.

I don't give a fuck if hipsters are spending food stamps on fancy food. I give a fuck that they're spending food stamps on fancy food while spending their own money on other shit they don't need.

They treat food stamps as additional income instead of as a safety net.

Where the hell are you getting that from the article?

panda21

how is this news? this just in, people get given food stamps, exchange them for food!

i do hate those hipsters though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
We artists ultimately have a high opinion of ourselves compared to our peers. We believe that we have the chops to succeed, and we're willing to invest in ourselves in the hopes that the college experience will increase our acting ability while simultaneously helping us to build networks to increase our chance of success.

tl;dr: When you're 18 years old, you're probably thinking more with your heart than your head. I know that I am (though I am lucky enough to have parents that saved money to put me through college). I'm 20 and studying Acting and English with a minor in Cinema Studies, by the way.

:lol

You just made me shed a tear of laughter.

We artists ultimately have a high opinion of ourselves compared to our peers. We believe that we have the chops to succeed, and we're willing to invest in ourselves in the hopes that the college experience will increase our acting ability while simultaneously helping us to build networks to increase our chance of success.

lol this guy..

what have you ever done that qualifies you as an artist?

studying astronomy doesn't make me an astronaut.

Trojita said:
:lol

You just made me shed a tear of laughter.

Really? You may think me foolish, but I don't really see anything funny about my post, which ultimately says that people major in art because they think they have the talent to make it and at younger ages are not thinking about real-world utility.

Edit: To brianjones-acting is an art form, so that. I haven't done it professionally, but I hope to.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Really? You may think me foolish, but I don't really see anything funny about my post, which ultimately says that people major in art because they think they have the talent to make it and at younger ages are not thinking about real-world utility.

Edit: To brianjones-acting is an art form, so that. I haven't done it professionally, but I hope to.

We artists ultimately have a high opinion of ourselves compared to our peers

Dude, I think this is what most people are laughing at.

WanderingWind said:
We artists ultimately have a high opinion of ourselves compared to our peers

Dude, I think this is what most people are laughing at.

I explained earlier in the thread that I meant 'compared to our artistic peers', as in the people that we are competing against for jobs in our fields.

WanderingWind

I explained earlier in the thread that I meant 'compared to our artistic peers', as in the people that we are competing against for jobs in our fields.

Ah. Very well. Then I don't see what's so funny. You're supposed to be idealistic and hopeful at 20, especially when just starting a career.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I read your paragraph as noting disrespect towards people that were not art majors. If this was not your intention, I apologize.

I wish my parents had the money to put me through college :-/

Trojita said:
I read your paragraph as noting disrespect towards people that were not art majors. If this was not your intention, I apologize.

I wish my parents had the money to put me through college :-/

I apologize if that is what you took from it; perhaps I ought to go back and edit it for clarity.

And yeah, I feel fucking blessed to have parents that planned to put me through college since I was born; I asked my mom why they're doing that, once, and she told me that she believed that parents have the responsibility to do right by their children and that part of that, in her opinion, was helping them through college (though she does not look down on people that don't, as she acknowledges that that's just her belief and thus only applies to her and my father).

brianjones said:
lol this guy..

what have you ever done that qualifies you as an artist?

studying astronomy doesn't make me an astronaut.

Studying astronomy would probably make you an astronomer, though; you'd be an amateur one, at least.

I am an artist; I am currently an amateur artist, but I am an artist nonetheless, unless you believed that you have to get paid to do something to be something.

Edit: corrected the typo.

Studying astronomy would probably make you an astronomer, though; you'd be an amateur one, at least.

I am artist; I am currently an amateur artist, but I am an artist nonetheless, unless you believed that you have to get paid to do something to be something.

I think you are confusing the word pretentious with artist.

gutterboy44 said:

I don't really care if you think I am pretentious. There's nothing at all pretentious in the post that you quoted; it's just a response to the person that was questioning (and slightly chastising) me. If you want to point out what you think is pretentious in that post, feel free; I am more than happy to respond and clarify or correct anything that came across as pretentious.

Also, I am sorry about the type in that previous post. I have the occasional habit of thinking of a word and forgetting to type it, and unlike papers and stories that I write, I don't really proofread my GAF posts to any great extent (unless I am trying to think of just the right thing to say).

Edit: Thanks to the poster above me. I didn't think that I said anything particular objectionable in this thread, except for the unclear post that I made earlier.

WanderingWind

gutterboy44 said:

I really don't see the pretense in defining your career in succinct terms. He studies art, and produces art. That's an artist, as far as I know.

Mudkips

Banned
I am an artist; I am currently an amateur artist, but I am an artist nonetheless, unless you believed that you have to get paid to do something to be something.

Cool!

I am a food critic.
I am a film critic.
I am a writer.
I am a plumber.
I am an electrician.
I am ...
I am an artist.

You don't have to get paid to do something to be a doer of said thing.
You do have to actually do said thing, and do it competently, to be a doer of said thing.

Most hipsters do as little as possible (the least of which being what they claim to be doers of) and do even less competently.

We hate you because you're aligning yourself with hipsters.

Edit: corrected the typo.

your definition of artist is extremely broad

if i play an instrument that makes me an artist?

i look at being an artist is creating something unique.. not taking an acting class that anyone can take

Mudkips said:
Cool!

I am a food critic.
I am a film critic.
I am a writer.
I am a plumber.
I am an electrician.
I am ...
I am an artist.

You don't have to get paid to do something to be a doer of said thing.
You do have to actually do said thing, and do it competently, to be a doer of said thing.

Most hipsters do as little as possible (the least of which being what they claim to be doers of) and do even less competently.

We hate you because you're aligning yourself with hipsters.

The 'hipsters', in this case, are not really in the wrong (there's no real evidence in the article to suggest that these people are hipsters, by the way).

Also, I study acting and act (and do so at least competently enough to be accepted into college to study it), so I would say that I am an actor; as acting is an art, that would make me an artist. I am an amateur artist, yes, but an artist nonetheless.

Edit: To brianjones-yeah, my definition of art and artistry actually is pretty broad and egalitarian. In my case, though, I don't think that it's reaching. I don't take an acting class that just anybody can take; I take an acting class that is only for acting majors, thus requiring to have at least some talent to get into them. It is the main thing in my life that I focus on and the thing that takes up most of my time. If I am not an artist by your definition, then so be it. I only know that I identify as an artist, as do my classmates, and our professors speak of us as artists as well.

brianjones said:
Megan Fox acts in movies.. is she an artist?

She might not be a good one, but yeah, by my definition, she would be.

Edit: to be clear, my definition of artist does not invoke any sort of critical examination of a person's work, as I consider that to be a separate thing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
she's an artist in the same sense that anyone who produces music is an artist. the word "artist" just isn't commonly attributed to actors in the same way that it's attributed to "music artists," but it still applies. just because she's a "bad artist" doesn't mean she's not an artist.

i guess if it makes you feel better about yourself, all the power to you.

i personally wouldn't go record some music on my computer and attempt to call myself an artist.

Mudkips

Banned
do so at least competently enough to be accepted into college to study it

:lol I have no comment to your abilities in whatever you do, but your knowledge of the admissions process if filled to the brim with naivety. This is what really happens:

Hey Bob, we have these 10,000 applicants. We can get scholarships for these, these guys can pay on their own, and these guys will make us look good. The big stack on the left is everyone else that the computer has determined will make up an ideally "diverse" group that is still profitable.

Wrekt

"At first, I thought, 'Why should I be on food stamps?'" said Magida, digging into her dinner. "Here I am, this educated person who went to art school, and there are a lot of people who need them more. But then I realized, I need them, too."

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I think the problem here.

Is that people think that there's only two kinds of foods.

Organic health foods... or junk food.

You don't have to buy specially labeled organic salmon from a health food shop, you can easily buy one straight from your local fish market at probably half the cost.

Instead of buying that box of organic leafs, go to the produce market and get just normal ones that are only a fraction of the cost.

You can live healthy without having to splurge ridiculous amounts of money on specially tagged "organic" items. Regular salmon won't give you cancer and you don't have to pay twice as much for organic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom