• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"They're young, they're broke, and they pay for organic salmon with food stamps."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mudkips said:
:lol I have no comment to your abilities in whatever you do, but your knowledge of the admissions process if filled to the brim with naivety. This is what really happens:

Hey Bob, we have these 10,000 applicants. We can get scholarships for these, these guys can pay on their own, and these guys will make us look good. The big stack on the left is everyone else that the computer has determined will make up an ideally "diverse" group that is still profitable.

Well, I don't know how it is in other places, but my university requires a decently selective audition process that takes place independently of other admissions considerations. I was accepted by the university and was able to attend prior to the audition, but to get into my specific program, I had to have at least some talent. I'm well aware of the frivolity attached to the other parts of the admissions process, but my being in the major is an indicator that I have at least some potential (though I can be kicked out of it if I am not good enough, so I'm not yet out of the woods in that regard).

Cyan

Banned
Look Snowman, you're just going to have to accept it. We have all reviewed your work and the consensus is that you suck and are not an artist. End of story.

Also, we have some tips on how you could eat cheaper (protip: less of that exotic stuff like "sautée").

Cyan said:
Look Snowman, you're just going to have to accept it. We have all reviewed your work and the consensus is that you suck and are not an artist. End of story.

Also, we have some tips on how you could eat cheaper (protip: less of that exotic stuff like "sautée").

Damn. Why do I feel compelled to do everything that GAF says? WHY?

I don't really see a point in this. Sure there is going to be some waste, but the only waste that is going on is money being put back into the economy. Any attempt to audit the recipients would only add real waste into the system...

Futureman

I think maybe the system could be organized better.

If you are single and under a certain age, why not have some kind of volunteer program set up where you can earn food stamps? Even if it's ONCE a week, it would be better than just giving away free food to young, able-bodied adults.

SpectreFire said:
I think the problem here.

Is that people think that there's only two kinds of foods.

Organic health foods... or junk food.
Yup, and the article is pretty vague, which is adding a lot of confusion. It's impossible to tell whether it's referring to the "organic" overpriced stuff or just locally grown staples that can be really affordable. Add to that the regional variances in food prices for specific items, and it's pretty much impossible to evaluate the situation.

NovemberMike said:
I don't really see a point in this. Sure there is going to be some waste, but the only waste that is going on is money being put back into the economy. Any attempt to audit the recipients would only add real waste into the system...
I agree that an audit program would likely cause more waste than it eliminates, but at the same time I don't think we should be so quick to ignore abuse just because the money "goes back into the economy". Tax money should still be used responsibly.

pel1300

SpectreFire said:
I think the problem here.

Is that people think that there's only two kinds of foods.

Organic health foods... or junk food.

You don't have to buy specially labeled organic salmon from a health food shop, you can easily buy one straight from your local fish market at probably half the cost.

Instead of buying that box of organic leafs, go to the produce market and get just normal ones that are only a fraction of the cost.

You can live healthy without having to splurge ridiculous amounts of money on specially tagged "organic" items. Regular salmon won't give you cancer and you don't have to pay twice as much for organic ones.

You are so awesome.

common sense FTW

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
canova said:
why wrong?

it's true

99% of what comes out of that place is far from healthy.

I can get this thing for a dollar more than a "5 dollar foot long" at a place near me, packed with actual cold cuts on fresh heros, and not the stale, faux-meat coming out of Subway.

dsc_06292219c7.jpg

That's only half of it, fries not included, obviously.

That said I never really saw the draw of Subway, but I sorta live in the deli capital of the world so what do I know.

canova said:
why wrong?

it's true

health wise sure you can do a lot worse than subway

but it's kinda like saying a six pack is healthier than shooting heroin

(not really thats a bit extreme but still)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
SnakeXs said:

I can get this thing for a dollar more than a "5 dollar foot long" at a place near me, packed with actual cold cuts on fresh heros, and not the stale, faux-meat coming out of Subway.

That said I never really saw the draw of Subway, but I sorta live in the deli capital of the world so what do I know.

Okay, if you're going to bring some, you better have enough to share with the whole class.

SnakeXs

canova said:
that thing looks fattening

Sure it is, but it's still healthier than Subway's. It's not slathered in a sugary sauce, or mayo. It's main flaw is pure mass, which can be combatted by will power. Delicious, delicious will power. What IS in it is of higher quality, though, and that counts for something.

WanderingWind said:
Okay, if you're going to bring some, you better have enough to share with the whole class.

You come to NYC and you got one on me. ;)

Canova

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Sure it is, but it's still healthier than Subway's. It's not slathered in a sugary sauce, or mayo. It's main flaw is pure mass, which can be combatted by will power. Delicious, delicious will power. What IS in it is of higher quality, though, and that counts for something.

You come to NYC and you got one on me. ;)

mayo and sugary sauce are optional.

Whole wheat bread, some meat, load up on veggie, little of mustard, and you're good to go.

5 bucks!!

3 bucks if you only need 6-inch.

SnakeXs said:

dsc_06292219c7.jpg

Drool........... the draw of subway is that it's fast and the guy making the sandmich do give a shit who you are. I feel weird going in to the same sandmich shop every day, i feel they are judging me.

Am I a hipster if i don't eat meat at home and eat mostly veggies, tofu and hot sauce (Red Cock Brand Only)?

SnakeXs

canova said:
mayo and sugary sauce are optional.

Whole wheat bread, some meat, load up on veggie, little of mustard, and you're good to go.

5 bucks!!

only 3 bucks if you only need 6-inch.

Like I said, 99% of what comes out of there isn't healthy. Just because you can finagle the menu to be healthy doesn't mean that's what normally is made there. I could do the same thing with this, or any other decent deli and still come out on top with better, fresher ingredients. It's not some horrible option if that's all you got, but it's not what you said.

brianjones said:
you eat red cocks?

You don't like cock sauce? :O

Canova

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Like I said, 99% of what comes out of there isn't healthy. Just because you can finagle the menu to be healthy doesn't mean that's what normally is made there. I could do the same thing with this, or any other decent deli and still come out on top with better, fresher ingredients. It's not some horrible option if that's all you got, but it's not what you said.

You don't like cock sauce? :O

and your fatty sandwich is healthier ?!? bah!

SnakeXs

canova said:
and your fatty sandwich is healthier ?!? bah!

Than what you said? That almost nobody at Subway orders? Probably not, only due to the cheese and sheer mass of it. But just like you CAN make a healthy sandwich at Subway, I can also make a healthy(ier) sandwich here. And, to broken record myself, end up with better raw materials and inarguably a better end product.

SnakeXs

AstroLad said:
Awesome sandwich. You have my thumbs up although I would skip the bread just to get to the good stuff. :D

Deep insecurities and an appreciation for your art make me think I just got AstroLad'd. :'(

It's seriously awesome and it's gotten me st-arving talking about and seeing it. Damnit.

Canova

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Than what you said? That almost nobody at Subway orders? Probably not, only due to the cheese and sheer mass of it. But just like you CAN make a healthy sandwich at Subway, I can also make a healthy(ier) sandwich here. And, to broken record myself, end up with better raw materials and inarguably a better end product.

how the heck you make that shit healthier, no veggie in it, it's 5-inch thick of meat and cheese. you clog up your arteries and get high blood pressure eating that shit for a week

SnakeXs said:

http://b6.s3.quickshareit.com/dsc_06292219c7.jpg

I cannot believe there are people that actually eat that stuff almost every day. Unbelievable.

I rarely eat out, but if I do go for subs, it's Quiznos. DAMN their subs spit HOT FIYA.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No I love sandwiches like that. Juvenile/type 1 diabetic hence my bread comment -- I generally stay away from carbs but make up for it with meatiness. I'm always on the watch for wimpy sandwiches that are 90% bread, which your sandwich is the opposite of.

WanderingWind

AstroLad said:
No I love sandwiches like that. Juvenile/type 1 diabetic hence my bread comment -- I generally stay away from carbs but make up for it with meatiness. I'm always on the watch for wimpy sandwiches that are 90% bread, which your sandwich is the opposite of.

Bread is what I survive off of. Well, that and french fries. Both of which are pure carbs. If (when) I get adult onset, I will die.

SnakeXs

canova said:
how the heck you make that shit healthier, no veggie in it, it's 5-inch thick of meat and cheese. you clog up your arteries and get high blood pressure eating that shit for a week

It's a deli, I can order whatever I want. What aren't you getting? Whatever "healthy" sandwich you can build at Subway, I can get made here, with better ingredients. Period. And the shitty shredded iceberg lettuce on the majority of Subway sandwiches isn't exactly saving anyone's life.

That said, there's tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, onions, and aforementioned physical water iceberg lettuce on this, too. I think. Depending on my mood whatever day I ordered/photographed that specific specimen.

AstroLad said:

I shop at the Fresh Market. You won't believe the taste in quality between Publix's sourdough bread and the Fresh Market's version. The latter is vastly superior. Different, taste and way more fresh. Only problem is that the slices are small.

I pretty much put some mayo and dijon spicey mustard on the bread, toast the bread up, and add the wild Alaskan salmon.

I put a pickle on the plate and add some Kettle brand honey and dijon mustard chips. The chips are gluten free, no preservatives, no MSGs, no trans fat.........NOTHING. Just all natural ingredients.

WanderingWind

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I shop at the Fresh Market. You won't believe the taste in quality between Publix's sourdough bread and the Fresh Market's version. The latter is vastly superior. Different, taste and way more fresh. Only problem is that the slices are small.

I pretty much put some mayo and dijon spicey mustard on the bread, toast the bread up, and add the wild Alaskan salmon.

I put a pickle on the plate and add some Kettle brand honey and dijon mustard chips. The chips are gluten free, no preservatives, no MSGs, no trans fat.........NOTHING. Just all natural ingredients.

Dude, in the area I just moved from, Publix was the "high-class" grocery store. The population shopped mostly at Piggly Wiggly.

They voted mostly Republican.

Don't get me wrong, if you can find a GREENWISE Publix, then yeah, that's some high class shit right there. All the rich mofos shop there in Tampa, but again, Fresh Market is superior. Even the atmosphere inside with the dim lighting and classical musical is awesome. :lol

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I know people that get unemployment and dont want to go to work because they love the free money.. They can easily go get a job at target or something. I think that unemployment should be put to scale... If you were making a certain amount I think that they should try to staff you somewhere like a walmart or target and you get paid from target and then unemployment will match or add on to your new lower salary to keep the person afloat until they go out and find another job along the lines of what they were doing before.. .

this hand me down shit for people beating the system is garbage.

Malleymal said:
I know people that get unemployment and dont want to go to work because they love the free money.. They can easily go get a job at target or something. I think that unemployment should be put to scale... If you were making a certain amount I think that they should try to staff you somewhere like a walmart or target and you get paid from target and then unemployment will match or add on to your new lower salary to keep the person afloat until they go out and find another job along the lines of what they were doing before.. .

this hand me down shit for people beating the system is garbage.

uh.. it really depends on your last occupation.

for some people unemployment would provide more than working for Target.

I know that living in southern california it would be supremely hard to support oneself while working for fucking target.

grumble

SnakeXs said:
It's a deli, I can order whatever I want. What aren't you getting? Whatever "healthy" sandwich you can build at Subway, I can get made here, with better ingredients. Period. And the shitty shredded iceberg lettuce on the majority of Subway sandwiches isn't exactly saving anyone's life.

That said, there's tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, onions, and aforementioned physical water iceberg lettuce on this, too. I think. Depending on my mood whatever day I ordered/photographed that specific specimen.

This is getting into a debate on the relative health values of common foods, and that gets very complicated. For example, there is a fair bit of evidence that grain-based foods in general are not particularly good for you, and that includes pretty much all breads. Eating a lot of greasy cheese and oily deli meats are also not fantastic. The bread that both of those sandwiches are made of also almost definitely contains added sugar. Sandwiches are eaten more for their convenience than their health benefits. Science is still trying to figure this out though, it's mind-numbingly hard to do.

The hipsters are being wasteful with their money, simply by the fact that they are shopping at whole foods. IF they wanted to eat highly nutritional food, then they can do so without it having expensive, meaningless labels like 'organic' or having exotic ingredients with no increased health benefit. IF they were eating less food to make up for their extravagant price per gram, then they'd be doing nothing wrong (from everyone else's perspective). More likely, they are spending plenty of money on food that is very expensive for what it gives you, and YOU are paying for it. If they ate non-organic food, were willing to accept some sacrifices in taste or even just tried hard to buy food intelligently, then they might not use food stamps and you would not be footing the bill for their extravagance.

grumble said:
This is getting into a debate on the relative health values of common foods, and that gets very complicated. For example, there is a fair bit of evidence that grain-based foods in general are not particularly good for you, and that includes pretty much all breads. Eating a lot of greasy cheese and oily deli meats are also not fantastic. The bread that both of those sandwiches are made of also almost definitely contains added sugar. Sandwiches are eaten more for their convenience than their health benefits. Science is still trying to figure this out though, it's mind-numbingly hard to do.

The hipsters are being wasteful with their money, simply by the fact that they are shopping at whole foods. IF they wanted to eat highly nutritional food, then they can do so without it having expensive, meaningless labels like 'organic' or having exotic ingredients with no increased health benefit. IF they were eating less food to make up for their extravagant price per gram, then they'd be doing nothing wrong (from everyone else's perspective). More likely, they are spending plenty of money on food that is very expensive for what it gives you, and YOU are paying for it. If they ate non-organic food, were willing to accept some sacrifices in taste or even just tried hard to buy food intelligently, then they might not use food stamps and you would not be footing the bill for their extravagance.

They have to qualify for the food stamps, though. They qualified for $150 of food per month irrespective of what they bought; the people who approved them for the program had no idea what they typically ate or what their previous food budget was. Even if they didn't buy expensive food (though again, there's not much of an indication that they are buying extravagant ingredients so much as they are buying fairly ordinary things and making tasty meals out of them).

I just can't understand where the problem is. They qualified for food stamps and used the food stamps to buy food that they wanted to eat. The money would have been given to them regardless of what they bought. They used the money to shop around at a bunch of different markets and get the types of foods that they liked, rather than spending it on the packaged foods that most people are buying. Why does it matter how these people spend their food stamp money? Unless you believe that they do not deserve the food stamps in the first place (and if you feel that way, I'd like to see what you're basing that off of), there really is no problem here.

Also, I'm not sure why these specific people are being called hipsters. Not every person with a job in the arts in a city is a hipster.

sunsetsf

Banned
brianjones said:
uh.. it really depends on your last occupation.

for some people unemployment would provide more than working for Target.

I know that living in southern california it would be supremely hard to support oneself while working for fucking target.

IMO that was the point. An unproductive society is "doomed". And with no incentive to contribute to such, well the world is fraught with examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom