• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief - announcment trailer

What is this series about anyway? I remember playing a thief game for PC, I think it was by the same studio that made the Deus Ex Invisible War game (both came for Xbox). Game seemed ok, but it was confusing and always set during night time....

Do you go around robbing rich people like Robin Hood?

Saty

I can see the headline: "Thief Steals Fellow Game's Tagline"

monaco3.png

DieH@rd

Banned
Dudes, this is not using assets from the game.

Cool trailer, but not even remotely representative of what the game looks like.

I heard somewhere that this pic from some user-created project...

What is this series about anyway? I remember playing a thief game for PC, I think it was by the same studio that made the Deus Ex Invisible War game (both came for Xbox). Game seemed ok, but it was confusing and always set during night time....

Its set in very dark medieval looking fantasy land, with thief who steals for himself. He's no robin hood, and also he met zombies, dinosaurs, steampunk robots, and whole lot more.

Dudes, this is not using assets from the game.

Cool trailer, but not even remotely representative of what the game looks like.

Jett look at the art they released a few days ago:

Few more here with brief explanation about the world of Thief: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/25/the-world-of-thief.aspx

Thief_Vore_8.jpg

Thief_Vore_4.jpg

Thief_Vore_5.jpg

Thief_Vore_2.jpg

I love me some good concept art.

i-Lo

Kind of saddens me to see the devs use a CG as the new generation dawns upon us. I guess, it was a matter of resources.

I have started to dislike the usage of CG trailers ever since in-engine assets have reached the level of quality where they can used to form a proper trailer.

The first thing that came to my mind.

dEvAnGeL

ps4 and other next generation consoles

spill the beans microsoft, everybody knows about your new console, is it that bad you're ashamed of it?

Loved everything but that yeah. Makes me wonder if this is going to be like the original Assassin's Creed where you can be 100% sneaky but then the game will force you to go loud for the sake of crazy combat and escape sequences.

I remember reading about people that left Eidos Montreal after working on "scripted sequences" for this game.

Kouichi

The Thief games revolve around a Thief named Garrett who steals for a living in a steampunk medieval setting. The games usually start off with him doing various thieving jobs and he always get pulled into some supernatural stuff involving the various factions in the Thief universe. Garrett himself is a pretty selfish guy who only looks out for himself. This sorta changes in Thief 3 though.

The Thief games have really good story writing and lore. I highly recommend them. Seems like you only played the third, which is the lowest of the series.

Kikarian

Kind of saddens me to see the devs use a CG as the new generation dawns upon us. I guess, it was a matter of resources.

I have started to dislike the usage of CG trailers ever since in-engine assets have reached the level of quality where they can used to form a proper trailer.

The first thing that came to my mind.
We don't actually know if it was CG.

But it probably was.

Hagi

Talks about leaving no trace then gets caught and jumps out window. Sounds like a modern stealth game to me.

Pointless trailer does nothing but show this Garrett is a terrible thief.

i-Lo

We don't actually know if it was CG.

But it probably was.

Given what I saw of inFAMOUS SS, Garrett's face looked like it could be replicated real time. As for the rest, it looked too good to be in-engine. Lest we forget, we had screenshots that do not really compare to what we saw here.

If I am mistaken, it'll be a win for all.

spill the beans microsoft, everybody knows about your new console, is it that bad you're ashamed of it?

Why does it say "next gen consoles"? Do they mean WiiU as well?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks cool. Hoping this one delivers and that I have a plasma to play it on by the time it's out. A game this dark needs some serious black level performance.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

maybe there is no new xbox and they are talking about the super secret Super Wii U and the Ouya 3S.

Majmun

Pc, Ps4 and other next gen consoleS?

I'm sure they'd mention the Wii U if there was a version for it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I want to be able to not kill people in this game and pull missions off successfully like a proper thief would. Is that a possibility?

Kouichi

Talks about leaving no trace then gets caught and jumps out window. Sounds like a modern stealth game to me.

Pointless trailer does nothing but show this Garrett is a terrible thief.

Oh come on, it's a trailer. Trailers are supposed to involve cool things happening to interest consumers who have no idea what the game is. Even the old Thief trailers had Garrett killing and using flashbombs to get away.

I feel positive that Garrett's dialogue focused on some of the key things that make a stealth game great. He also never fought or killed a single guard. Only escaped past one.

L1NETT

Thief.jpg

Hurry up MS. It isn't even the worst kept secret anymore. Worst kept secret ever! :p

Trailer got my stealth juices flowing though, can't wait to play it.

Cheddahz

Banned
I wish we had a Dolan comic that said "looks like Dishonored", kinda like the Uncharted one

Cause this looks just like Dishonored

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
IS KEN LEVINE BACK AT WORKING ON THIEF!? :O

MAJOR SPOILERS (related to BioShock Infinite):

At the end of Thief 4, Viktoria shows Garrett that there are multiple iterations of the Clocktower across different dimensions in time. In fact, in one alternate timeline, Garrett chooses not to join the Keepers, but becomes a law-abiding citizen, and he is actually the Baron ruling over the city, which means Garrett from Thief 4 is actually robbing his alternate self and oh god nosebleed.

Shamdeo

I want to be able to not kill people in this game and pull missions off successfully like a proper thief would. Is that a possibility?

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Going-Rogue

"Players will have multiple ways to approach their objectives and each objective can be reached using Garrett’s various tools, by exploring and by playing with your environment.

Each path comes with a set of challenges, encounters and looting opportunities. Difficulty options allow the experience to be scaled for hardcore fans of the original series, but to also let newcomers have a lot of fun. And yes, you can complete the game without killing anybody – Garrett is a Master Thief, not a killing machine!"

Salsa

MAJOR SPOILERS (related to Bioshock Infinite):

At the end of Thief 4, Viktoria shows Garrett there are multiple iterations of the Clocktower across different dimensions in time. In fact, in one alternate timeline, Garrett chooses not to join the keepers, but become a law-abiding citizen, and he is actually the Baron ruling over the city, which means Garrett from Thief 4 is actually robbing his alternate self and oh god nosebleed.

im in

Kouichi

I wish we had a Dolan comic that said "looks like Dishonored", kinda like the Uncharted one

Cause this looks just like Dishonored

There needs to be a quote in the OP of every Thief thread that states how Dishonored took inspiration from Thief. There was even a Thief reference in Dishonored!

Top Bottom