• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things are lookin up boys and girls

Tellaerin

sp0rsk said:
Bit generations, xbox live arcade finally rampin up, valve saying "hey lets release demos and small games as well as releasing chapters for hl2!" David jaffe not wanting to make interactive movies. Industry is finally realizing that every game doesnt HAVE to be a blockbuster. It almost seems recently like maybe, just maybe, the industry is maturing.

Futures so bright, i gotta wear shades man, i gotta wear shades.

That's wonderful, so long as the industry 'maturing' doesn't involve most new releases looking like Degenatron games ('Save the green dots with your fantastic flying red square!') and having no story to speak of. Diversification into different niches is a good thing, but I don't want to see these little diversions become the norm while big-budget, narrative-driven titles are driven toward extinction.

Billy Rygar said:
NUH UH MACK RAIN SEZ BLOCKBUSTERS OR BUST

Rein says that episodic gaming is deeply flawed model, which I agree with. I don't seem to recall him commenting on smaller, lower-budget titles in the XBLA vein. (And when you look at early Epic games like Epic Pinball or Jazz Jackrabbit, I can't imagine him ever coming out against those types of games, either.)

It was actually a joke, but whatever. And the only that will drive big budget story driven epics as you call them are the games themselves (price), and the tastes of the consumers. What needs to happen is a medium but where both can exist comfortably, but that is a ways off still.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Tellaerin said:
That's wonderful, so long as the industry 'maturing' doesn't involve most new releases looking like Degenatron games ('Save the green dots with your fantastic flying red square!') and having no story to speak of. Diversification into different niches is a good thing, but I don't want to see these little diversions become the norm while big-budget, narrative-driven titles are driven toward extinction.

Rein says that episodic gaming is deeply flawed model, which I agree with. I don't seem to recall him commenting on smaller, lower-budget titles in the XBLA vein. (And when you look at early Epic games like Epic Pinball or Jazz Jackrabbit, I can't imagine him ever coming out against those types of games, either.)

i dont, i hope most new releases dont end up looking the same, as thats what were trying to get away from here.

and yeah episodic gaming still sucks.

Tellaerin

Billy Rygar said:
It was actually a joke, but whatever. And the only that will drive big budget story driven epics as you call them are the games themselves (price), and the tastes of the consumers. What needs to happen is a medium but where both can exist comfortably, but that is a ways off still.

Heh, I just felt that Mark Rein already takes enough heat for things he has said without anybody having to put words in his mouth. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a balance between the two, either. That's the key word, though. Balance. Some people seem to feel that narratives have no place in games and that big-budget, cinematic game experiences are 'killing the industry', and that we'd all be better off if they were eliminated altogether. To me, that wouldn't be an acceptable situation.

Of course story and art direction have there place in games, the medium certainly allows for them and people who would like them eliminated in favor of some "pure" gaming experience are forgetting the flexibility offered by games in the first place. Aslo sp0rsk do you belive episodic gaming will always suck, or that its currently sucked.

sprsk

Billy Rygar said:
Of course story and art direction have there place in games, the medium certainly allows for them and people who would like them eliminated in favor of some "pure" gaming experience are forgetting the flexibility offered by games in the first place. Aslo sp0rsk do you belive episodic gaming will always suck, or that its currently sucked.

will always suck. i dont want to pay out the ass to play a full game.

What if the model was different then? Where a full game would not cost an exorbitant amount but each chapter was priced accordingly? I am not reffering to crap like buying some lousy fetch quest for a 60 dollar game, but something like play to a point for a price, and continue on if you wish when the next chapter comes out and the total would be relative to the cost of a full retail game.

koam

I'm terribly dissappointed in Sony with EVERYTHING they've done with the PS3. The PS3 was my most anticipated console up until that slap in the face price tag and all the crazy shit they've been saying. I also don't like their home entertainment instead of game console vision. It seems like they're more focused on getting bluray to sell than anything else. Still, there are lots of games that I want for the console, namely sequels to DMC, ICO and MGS.. and of course, heavenly sword.

Microsoft.. I couldn't stand the Xbox. I've never had as many problems with a console as I did with my xbox. I'm also not a huge FPS fan or PC gamer and i found myself barely ever touching the console. The 360 on the other hand, is a lot more appealing. The console is still way too expensive ($500 in canada wtf?) but i'm assuming that's only until the PS3 comes out. Game wise, there's a few that i want but not enough to make me want to pick it up. GTA4 is a must and if MGS4 somehow lands on the console, i'm picking it up over the PS3.

Nintendo, the two steps front one step back company. I'm eager to get the wii because of the low price point and new controller but shit, why the hell didn't they up the graphics. There was no reason whatsoever to have last gen graphics, make the console bigger damnit (and no, that wouldn't raise the price to 360 levels). Also, the lack of HD is a bit annoying however, i'm waiting until HD specs are standardized to one single resolution to pick up a new HD tv anyway so i'm okay for now. Virtual console is meh since i've played all the classics to death already.

Personally, i'm dissappointed with the coming gen. I know i'll get sick of the wii quickly because it will lose support fast like the past nintendo consoles did. The 360, while more appealing than the xbox 1, still seems to be focusing on PC/FPS games once again and the price tag is still to high. Sony, well as much as i loved the PS2, doesn't seem to give a shit about their customers and i'm not standing for that.

sprsk

koam said:
I'm terribly dissappointed in Sony with EVERYTHING they've done with the PS3. The PS3 was my most anticipated console up until that slap in the face price tag and all the crazy shit they've been saying. I also don't like their home entertainment instead of game console vision. It seems like they're more focused on getting bluray to sell than anything else. Still, there are lots of games that I want for the console, namely sequels to DMC, ICO and MGS.. and of course, heavenly sword.

Microsoft.. I couldn't stand the Xbox. I've never had as many problems with a console as I did with my xbox. I'm also not a huge FPS fan or PC gamer and i found myself barely ever touching the console. The 360 on the other hand, is a lot more appealing. The console is still way too expensive ($500 in canada wtf?) but i'm assuming that's only until the PS3 comes out. Game wise, there's a few that i want but not enough to make me want to pick it up. GTA4 is a must and if MGS4 somehow lands on the console, i'm picking it up over the PS3.

Nintendo, the two steps front one step back company. I'm eager to get the wii because of the low price point and new controller but shit, why the hell didn't they up the graphics. There was no reason whatsoever to have last gen graphics, make the console bigger damnit (and no, that wouldn't raise the price to 360 levels). Also, the lack of HD is a bit annoying however, i'm waiting until HD specs are standardized to one single resolution to pick up a new HD tv anyway so i'm okay for now. Virtual console is meh since i've played all the classics to death already.

Personally, i'm dissappointed with the coming gen. I know i'll get sick of the wii quickly because it will lose support fast like the past nintendo consoles did. The 360, while more appealing than the xbox 1, still seems to be focusing on PC/FPS games once again and the price tag is still to high. Sony, well as much as i loved the PS2, doesn't seem to give a shit about their customers and i'm not standing for that.

is this "post irrelevant shit in sp0rsks' threads" day or something.

koam said:

While I have major problems with all three as well, you need to somehow tie this in better with the main topic.

Top Bottom