• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things that lasted you the longest while still working very well

Cyberpunkd

So I am planning to buy a digital piano and of course there are various accessories bundled, including headphones. Which got me to remember I have 8-year old Bose Quietcomfort 15, WIRED, powered by 1xAAA battery that are absolute monsters still working flawlessly after all these years of almost constant daily use for hours at a time. I only had to replace the ear pads once, which I got the original ones for 30€, and that's it.

What's the one thing that lasted you (or still does) for ages?

Cyberpunkd

The wife's butthole
right on GIF by Shock Top

Mr Hyde

I had a couple of headphones that kicked the bucket after 20 years. It was amazing quality. My sister bought them for me when she was in Osaka, Japan.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Whether it’s a car or a blender you want things to last for me the rower I bought in 2017 is still working.

hollams

Gold Member
Microsoft Trackball Explorer. I've been using it at work for over 16 years and it's still going strong.

G-Bus

Banned
Red Wing work boots.

I've worked construction or jobs that required steel toe work boots pretty well all of my adult years. When I started working as a carpenter 10 years ago I would go through boots every year tops.

Boss recommended Red Wings and I haven't looked back. First pair lasted 5 years until the sole wore down so much i got a hole and water would come in. The boots were still comfortable too. Could have got them resouled but decided to just get another pair.

Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Water proof. Long lasting.

Facism

I have a 6th gen Ipod classic from 2008 and still works and gives me around 18 hours of battery life. Incredible product.

Billbofet

I have a step ladder that was my dad's father's ladder. Must be 75 years old and has at least 40 different colors of paint. Probably some lead on there for sure.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
My Walmart robe/housecoat that I bought for around $15 in like 2005. I dunno what it’s made out of but the thing is indestructible. I wash it maybe 2-3x per month, wear it nearly everyday, and it’s still in perfect condition.

Quasicat

We received a GE hand mixer for our wedding 20 years ago. I have used that thing almost daily for that whole time and even mix things that it says you shouldn’t, like really thick dough.
I figured I would beat that thing to Hell and have an excuse to buy another one, yet it still works like it did day one!

Fbh

I own a Peugeot Pepper Mill that my mom got as a wedding gift 41 years ago......and it was bought in an antique shop so I don't really know how old it really is.

Still works great though and gets used almost daily.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My Walmart robe/housecoat that I bought for around $15 in like 2005. I dunno what it’s made out of but the thing is indestructible. I wash it maybe 2-3x per month, wear it nearly everyday, and it’s still in perfect condition.
I kinda pegged you for the kind of guy who would always be wearing a 15 year old walmart robe that hasn't been washed for over a week.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I had the same tiny coffee maker for about ten years. I only replaced it to upgrade to a model with a reusable filter. I bet that little bastard would still be working if I had kept it.

intbal

Logitech M-S48a.
24 years so far. Works perfectly.
I like it so much, I bought two more NOS units on Ebay. Though I doubt I'll ever need them.

Porcile

I have a Sansa MP3 player that has lasted me ten years. The front has seperated from the body but I just put some tape on it and it works fine. Even the battery holds a good charge.

Also my automatic Seiko watch which is coming up to 5 years old. Keeps good time still and I have dropped it and bashed it on all sorts of surfaces with just minor cosmetic damage.

Also I guess my N64 and GameCube are still working perfectly.

UnNamed

Banned
A laser color printer with ethernet bought in 2007, a time where laser printers were not a consumer product, and even now they are not that common. Still works perfectly today (except for some color). 10k prints. Many other inkjet printers are already broken after 2/3 years.

A stapler from '80, probably bought before I was born since I don't have memories without it.

My Gameboy from 1990.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
My iMac late 2009 that thing it is still rocking and it is better than before after I've updated to an SSD. Now my parents use it.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Honda Lawnmower. I’m fairly young at 30 but had since first moved from home and still going strong 10 years later, same as whippersnipper.

My Goruck bags, OGs made in USA. Have been around world several times barely broken in.

Classic consoles.

Classic PCs.

My classic cars. (Older then me)

Last edited:
My oldest tshirt is the one I got for being an early supporter of Path of Exile back in 2012. I wear it regularly, I washed it 200+ times and it still looks okay (slightly washed out). I'ma wear it until it literally disintegrates or something.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can't remember when I got my PC speakers, that's how long I've had them. I used headphones most of the time so no real need to invest in better ones.

Woffls

My N64 is over 25 years old now and still works flawlessly. I will concede that the reset button is stuck, but probably easy to fix when I can be arsed.

Bit of a cop out, but I've also got some records from my dad that are around 50 years old and have been well kept: Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. Sleeves in very good condition and can't see any surface scratches on most of them, though I'm making sure my setup is correct before I play any of them to assess playback quality.

TylerD

My Panasonic 46 inch plasma TV from 2008 still going very strong and still has a great picture on bedroom duty for 4 years come November.

Red Wing work boots.

I've worked construction or jobs that required steel toe work boots pretty well all of my adult years. When I started working as a carpenter 10 years ago I would go through boots every year tops.

Boss recommended Red Wings and I haven't looked back. First pair lasted 5 years until the sole wore down so much i got a hole and water would come in. The boots were still comfortable too. Could have got them resouled but decided to just get another pair.

Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Water proof. Long lasting.
Which model did you buy, the roughneck? Red Wings have always been extremely good, though I hear that manufacturing had moved to China and that’s always bad news.

Wvrs

My 2012 Kindle Paperwhite lasted me 10 years and travel across 27 countries before giving up the ghost a couple of months ago.

Was a relief, I'd been eyeing up the Oasis for ages but couldn't justify it before that.

Top Bottom