• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things that lasted you the longest while still working very well

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Walmart George black v-neck tshirt. I think I bought it for $8 or $10. Best basic tshirt I've ever bought. Had it for about 5 years so far and it's still like new. No shrink or anything.

Best branded tshirt I got is a 15 year old Tommy Hilfiger I bought for $20. Like new. The sturdiest fabric out of all tshirts I got.

Some brown Skechers from 15 years ago too. Loose and ragged now, but holds up well and no holes in the sole. And I've wore it a ton. Still wear it today doing yard work or a 20 min walk to nearby stores. Probably paid $60 or $80, as I almost never pay over $100.

Last edited:

NahaNago

My ipad. It has my favorite Japanese vocab learning app so that was the only reason I use it. Threw me off when I had stopped using it for a very long time(months or maybe even years) and it had a bunch of battery life left.

Lunarorbit

A Honda engine push lawnmower. Lasted from 1988 until we finally had to put the old girl down in 2020. RIP. Hondie, wherever you are, may the grass be long and effortlessly cut.
I have a Husqvarna push lawnmower that I bought specifically cause it has a Honda engine. Nice to know yours lasted that long.

Pejo

I have these Nike Athletic shorts that are reversible with pockets that I bought for Tennis practice in High School. Let's just say I've had a few HS reunions now and those shorts still look brand new. The only thing that minorly went wrong are that the elastic strings on the inside of the waist are no longer stretchy. Insane quality for clothing, especially athletic wear. I wish I'd have bought like 6 more pair.

Unfortunately, I sold/gave away/trashed most of my older belongings when I moved cross country, so everything I have is mostly new and the build quality varies a lot from thing to thing.

manfestival

Logitech mx518

Had it for 5 years. It didn't want to break on me, even with my abuse. Eventually got tired of it and replaced it.

G-Bus

Banned
Which model did you buy, the roughneck? Red Wings have always been extremely good, though I hear that manufacturing had moved to China and that’s always bad news.

No. The 6" goretex one. 3506 I think it is.

I heard similar things when I was talking about getting a new pair with some coworkers. Said quality has gone down but I don't see it with my newer pair.

So I am planning to buy a digital piano and of course there are various accessories bundled, including headphones. Which got me to remember I have 8-year old Bose Quietcomfort 15, WIRED, powered by 1xAAA battery that are absolute monsters still working flawlessly after all these years of almost constant daily use for hours at a time. I only had to replace the ear pads once, which I got the original ones for 30€, and that's it.

What's the one thing that lasted you (or still does) for ages?

An ex girlfriend?

My first Samsung LCD lasted 2008-2021, before dying which was pretty good

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Red Wing work boots.

I've worked construction or jobs that required steel toe work boots pretty well all of my adult years. When I started working as a carpenter 10 years ago I would go through boots every year tops.

Boss recommended Red Wings and I haven't looked back. First pair lasted 5 years until the sole wore down so much i got a hole and water would come in. The boots were still comfortable too. Could have got them resouled but decided to just get another pair.

Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Water proof. Long lasting.
I melted the tread on mine while camping years ago but can confirm: those work boots are great. Comfortable as hell too.

Dark Star

My OG fat PlayStation 2 still works really well. I occasionally boot up my old games on it and never had any issues with it.

PS2 really was made to last, and I wasn't the most careful owner as a kid. Got it in like 2002.

s-l500.jpg

It's funny seeing old tech work just fine after like 20 years of abuse, but my PS4 from 2016 has power issues and sometimes doesn't turn on, have to unplug the cables and force restart quite often.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I’ve had 2 pairs of Kitanica pants that I wear almost everyday for 5 years now.

Barely showing wear.

Timberland Pitboss boots are ok but the toes are worn out.

Had an 05 MacBook Pro that lasted 10 years or something

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Here are my list of things:

Honda lawnmower.
Honda weed trimmer
Honda chipper mulcher
Stihl chainsaw
Stihl leaf blower/shredder
Makita drill and impact drill (been through hell with these babies)
Makita tracksaw, angle grinder, circular saw
Hitachi mitresaw
Dewalt reciprocal saw
Bosch laser distance measure
All my spirit levels
Bosch multi-line laser level
Sawstop tablesaw
cormack12 cormack12 wife's butthole.

Had these tools for over 10 years and still going strong.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I have my Lego pirate ship from 88.

I have my NES and N64.

I have a corded drill that was my fathers. A crank drill that was my grandfathers.

I'm pretty jealous of your Black Seas Barracuda though I'm confused how it's something that would "still work well"? To be fair I'd be impressed if the sails are in good shape but it doesn't do anything like that other hardware!

Now maybe if you were like me and had a 4558 Metroliner that worked :messenger_sunglasses:

AJUMP23

I'm pretty jealous of your Black Seas Barracuda though I'm confused how it's something that would "still work well"? To be fair I'd be impressed if the sails are in good shape but it doesn't do anything like that other hardware!

Now maybe if you were like me and had a 4558 Metroliner that worked :messenger_sunglasses:
Works well as a display piece.

BlackTron

Works well as a display piece.

To be fair, I'll consider some of my stuff is yellowed which could be seen as "broken" in a display sense -completely static objects can "stop working" from passage of time too. It could also be destroyed, as Lego is deft at, and no longer work as a display piece lol.

I'll also remember the shooting cannons even if the one I had (the Skull's Eye) didn't get them because Lego got nervous about lawsuits.

Old Retro

I recently fixed the problem my OG Gameboy from 1990 had with a soldering iron, works great. Playstation from 1996 and PS2 from 2002 work great also. My PS3 died on me after 7 years of dutiful service. 🤷‍♀️

Also have a JVC stereo receiver from circa 2001 that just keeps on hammering to this day 🎶🤯

Top Bottom