• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you hate about gamestop?

gamestop, has become very overpowering in the game market, hell one could say they have a monopoly...

their compact little stores are everywhere now, hell there are 10 of them within 30 minutes of me...

like the mcdonalds of gaming..

J-Roderton

That they always try to get me to buy more things.

On a positive, my local Gamestop had 2 very attractive girls working there today. I was very surprised.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would like to grab a game, buy it and leave.

I know they force their grunts to do it, but I don't care about your card, I don't care about preordering a game that comes out six months from now, I don't care if your grubby used version is two dollars less, I don't care about pawning my games to you for pennies on the dollar.

Just leave me alone and let me buy the goddamn game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Me: "Hey do you have any of X game in stock?"

Them: "No way man, we sold our only extra copy, you shoulda preordered!"

Me: *goes across the street to Wal-Mart/Best Buy/any other retail store to get copy*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mostly just them bugging me to get the subscriptions and preorders. They tend to have pretty good prices on older used games.

They have bad trade in prices, but that only matters if you trade games into them.

Wario64 said:
Legitimate question: why do you guys still shop at Gamestop?
Good prices on older used games. They used to have Entrian Odyssee for $10 (Now up to $15), when Amazon Market Place then and now has it for $25 used.

Touch

Nearly every employee has no idea what they are talking about. It's like most of them don't even play games or at least keep up to date with the product they are selling. Plus, they seem to have attitude issues.

Maybe it's just the Gamestop stores in my location.

yukonrye

Wario64 said:

I only buy used games from their website during the B2G1 sales. That may change now that they have abandoned the guarantee that the case and booklet will be included.

apana

Prices are too high and the people are too in your face with their stupid cards and other shit they want you to buy.

I hate all the stickers they put on the used games. Ugh,

But really, even though a lot of Gamestop's practices suck, I've gotten to know a few of the people who work at some of their stores and they're generally cool people. So I don't have a ton of problems with them. In fact, they treat me pretty well.

Gutting everything. Especially when I've preordered a game and I walk in on the release date only to be told they've already opened every copy.

Wario64 said:

I actually like the people at my EB Games. Does EB Games count? I guess Gamestop owns them?

They never push any other stuff on me, or annoy me or badger me or try to make me buy anything. Only thing they ask is that three dollar disc warranty thing which I always turn down, and they never question it.

The people at my EB Games are awesome. They know their games and can actually have a decent conversation with the customers.

J-Roderton

I bought a used copy of Gears 1 today and of course they didn't have any cases for it. So I end up getting one of those cases they use for trade ins that don't have the original. I get home and the case is broken all to shit.

Minor thing, but still one of the things I hate about Gamestop. At least I got to choose which used disc I thought looked the best.

I don't hate Gamestop.

I don't use them solely or anything but the people I have encountered there have been okay and if things like preorder pushes bug you,
Say no
. I've never dealt with preopened "new" games either.

I've really only had one bad experience with them in the years I've been going there. I'm pretty sure it was isolated though. Basically a sales associate barred another from selling me a madcatz fightstick because he was saving it for another employee. I asked them why they would do that if it was against store policy and the guy told me to leave and tough luck.

Needless to say I called corporate and got his ass grilled. The district manager called me the next day and put the guy on the phone to apologize to me. I was actually surprised and asked for them to go easy on the guy, I was just insulted. They offered me a deep discount but I was past wanting from them.

Like I said though, isolated incident and I dont hold it against the company.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
also, I found a booger in the manual of one of the used games I bought from them. an actual booger.

never again

I don't hate anything about Gamestop. I go there every couple months to pick up some used games that I didn't care enough to buy near their launch date, and occasionally if there's some game that I do want to buy new on launch day, I go in and pre-order it since there's usually a bonus for doing so. They're close enough that I don't mind going into the store to pickup the game, and I could easily get the game there before I could ever have it shipped to me(from somewhere like Amazon).

I don't understand the people that get all upset about them pushing preorders/rewards cards. They ask, and you say no. Deal with it and quit whining.

Snuggler said:
I would like to grab a game, buy it and leave.

I know they force their grunts to do it, but I don't care about your card, I don't care about preordering a game that comes out six months from now, I don't care if your grubby used version is two dollars less, I don't care about pawning my games to you for pennies on the dollar.

Just leave me alone and let me buy the goddamn game.

^ This.

Here is my last Gamestop experience:

"Hi. I'd like to get Professor Layton and the Unwound Future."

"Sure thing. Do you have the new Power Up Rewards card?"

"No."

"Would you like me to sign you up. It's only [insert price] per [insert time period] and you get a subscription to GameInformer!"

"No thank you."

"You sure? Dude the card is awesome you get [insert crap] and [insert bullshit] plus an extra 10% when you trade in used games!'

"No thank you.'

"Well, we'll sign you up for the free (trial?) version anyway.'

*Worker starts playing with the computer to sign me up*

"Can I have [insert information]'

"Fine [gives information]."

"Thank you. Well we signed you up for the trial version."

*Worker FINALLY scans the fucking game and puts it in a bag.*

"Would you like to preorder [insert games]"

"No thank you."

*Worker hands me the bag with my game in it.*

"Have a nice day!"

"You too..."

What should have been a quick in an out took about 20 minutes. I refused to shop at that Gamestop and they ended up closing down a couple months later.

Jroderton said:
I bought a used copy of Gears 1 today and of course they didn't have any cases for it. So I end up getting one of those cases they use for trade ins that don't have the original. I get home and the case is broken all to shit.

Minor thing, but still one of the things I hate about Gamestop. At least I got to choose which used disc I thought looked the best.
For stuff like this: Look, I know that sort of sucks, but no one forced you to buy it.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Nothing. Never had a problem with them.

Seda

I usually shop at bigger general merch places...Best buy has gotten a little better as a gaming store. Little easier to just get in and grab the game you want and they also have a limited and growing selection of used games...however the cashier experience can range from "wow, awesome choice, enjoy the game man" to "oh do you have rewardzone? also for 5 dollars we can add policy #12952 that will protect that game if it ever gets damaged as long the the damage is not caused by anything purposely or accidentally"

I used to use Target back when they had the basic glass doors but now their gaming sections all are wonky...

Also I'll add here that there is a locally owned company around here called video games etc that are a lot more friendly and less annoything. Instead of pushing guides and preorders in your face all the time (though obviously they do want to push those), they have lots of cool wall scrolls and figurines and such. Not my thing but I kinda like the place.

The fact that they always feel dirty, messy, or generally poorly designed/laid out.

Compare, say, an Apple Store to an EBGames or a Gamestop.

Walking into a Gamestop feels like walking into a sketchy pawn shop.

For me it's got to be the majority of the employees that work there. In their fledgling years some of their employees were awesome and great to talk to every now and then but these days all they want to do is shove Modern Warfare down your cussing throat.

As mentioned a few times already, they do have some decent used game prices which is why I do stop by when I'm in the area. It's like a fast food gaming store.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just went in there today to browse, and was reminded of how their used game market is their real moneymaker. The used wall in each section was at least twice as big as the new sections.

Obsessed said:
What should have been a quick in an out took about 20 minutes. I refused to shop at that Gamestop and they ended up closing down a couple months later.

In the UK we have this thing called CEX (Computer Exchange) I hope they close too, alas I don't see that happening since there will always be someone wanting to sell something.

InertiaXr

PseudoKirby said:
gamestop, has become very overpowering in the game market, hell one could say they have a monopoly...

their compact little stores are everywhere now, hell there are 10 of them within 30 minutes of me...

like the mcdonalds of gaming..

No, you can't. Both Hastings and Amazon sell huge amounts of used games, in what I assume you meant as the used game market.

At best, they are in an Oligopoly.

WEGGLES

Wario64 said:
They tend to stock some games others don't.

Only place in town that carried Demon's Souls and The Witcher 2 at launch.

Aside from that I don't shop from them.

I hate "gutted" games. I hate the whole pre-order shitfest going on now. I hate having their stupid card or magazines pushed. I hate being asked to trade and save. I hate being asked if I want it used. I hate being asked if I want to reserve [game I don't care about]. I hate waiting in line behind people who can't expedite declining the 10000 offers.

There's a "good" gamestop nearby. It's new, and quiet. Usually more staff than customers. I bought The Witcher 2 there. Took less than a minute. Longest part was my credit card processing payment. Good stuff. Though this is a rare gem of a visit.

I tend to prefer walmart. Though, tracking down the keeper of the keys to open the glass is a nuisance. If I wasn't so impatient I'd order through amazon more often.

meadowrag

Banned
Snuggler said:
also, I found a booger in the manual of one of the used games I bought from them. an actual booger.

never again

I love it when this happens.
It really makes me feel connected to humanity, you know?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
On sale and trade in.
Almost every negative compliant, I see can be solved with simply not purchasing from there. They only gave you 25$ for brand new game? Go sell it on Amazon. They are selling used copy of said new game for 55$? Either wait for one of their sales(Like B2G1) or go else where. Last sale, I managed to pick up all the Gamecube Zeldas+Fire Emblem for about 55$. Complete and all in good condition. They are just another tool for me to use.

On business practices.
If we are talking about store exculsive pre-order content. Then absolutely, but that is also the publishers fault too.

J-Roderton

CoffeeJanitor said:
Truth. Sports games have the best value. $1 for a game? Fuck yeah.

Oh no doubt. My store has the little bins on the counters with hundreds of Madden 07 and MLB 2k6 discs in them for like $2 or $3 dollars a pop. Is that because with sports games there is a new one coming out each year or what?

Top Bottom