• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of selling PS4 for Xbox One... Will I regret it?

pelican

Only you can decide, but if financially possible I would aim to have both.

Opens up freedom of choice and removes any potential regret. Here in the UK standard models are going pretty cheap with the S on the horizon. Hopefully the same in your neck of the woods if you aren't based here. If you are in the UK - 500gb model with The Division for 205 quid is being advertised.

DirtyLarry

My advice, and I get asked a lot being a "Manager of Technology" (that is my actual job title) is to go where the exclusives are and where your friends are. If neither matters I suggest a PS4. If either matters go with the console that is more appealing.
Really is simple.
So get the One OP.

Chris1

"I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox."

"As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch. "

Then do it (but wait for the Slim - smaller, built in power brick, grips on controller, 4k & UHD is worth the extra £ you might end up paying). But obviously keeping both would be preferred so if that's an option look into that.

Wouldn't the S be a waste of money if he hasn't got a 4K TV? Much cheaper deals around for the OG One.

I wouldn't say so, build in power brick and smaller makes it worth it IMO. On top of that you get grips with the Slim controller aswell, which are definitely worth it, so could save you the price of a controller down the line if you ever want to upgrade. The grips are amazing.

Jumeira

Banned
Given your reasons, you'll be more than happy with X1. I'd personally wait for S or, if you have the cash, Scorpio. It'll have all the advantages of power (superior multiplats) and the x1 exclusives which you like.

Friends and games are the perfect combination, if that's available to your liking, you'll have no regrets.

the moment to make the switch was in prime day, by the time you get another nice deal a lot of those games you mentioned will be near release dates

reselling your X1 is gonna be harder or you will get much less if you want to make another switch in the future

so all things considered if you can deal with the pros and cons do it

I just got a PS4 because others kept saying it was better in a lot of ways, but I had no fun playing Street Fighter V or Uncharted 4..
You bought it simply because others told you it's better? No research or thought into why you'd want it? Seems like poor judgement.

VanWinkle

If you look towards the future exclusives, and Horizon is the only one that interests you, just go for the XB1. There are already more games on there that you want to play.

timberger

I wouldn't do it in a million years personally as I hardly ever touch my XB1 and my PS4 sees regular use, but if you've got your heart set on those Xbone games and all your friends play on that, then I honestly can't think why you wouldn't do it tbh.

The heart wants what the heart wants I guess, but I would strongly suggest you take a closer look at upcoming game release schedules, as there are a huge number of games releasing on PS4 that won't be releasing on XB1 and I'd be surprised if the two titles you mentioned are the only ones you'd think look/sound interesting based on everything we know about that's on the way.

Also keep in mind that multiplat games are worse on XB1 in addition to game install times being dramatically longer on XB1 to boot. Ultimately your call though.

Angel_DvA

Just wait for Scorpio and keep your PS4...

Why do you want to sell your Hardware so late in the generation ? It doesn't make sense to me, you won't have much money from it, especially with all the crazy deal you can have for them here and there.

spookyfish

If Xbox has the games you want to play and the community you want to play with, then no. Why would you regret it?

No Ragrets.

(But, yes, I'd probably try and wait for Scorpio before I sold/traded my hardware.)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sony has more exclusive akin to Nintendo titles though with a much bigger selection of all varieties .
Sony exclusives akin to Nintendo titles? Maybe on a superficial note if you think of something like Tearaway that looks, but absolutely does not play like Nintendo title, but gameplay-wise I absolutely don't see it. What are you thinking of?

inki

Go with what you want to play.

I would HIGHLY suggest waiting until the new Xbox Slim comes out though as I'm sure someone will have a "Trade in your PS4 for $200" or some such deal. I would make sure to sell your PS4 BEFORE the Neo comes out as there will be a flood into the used market and it will go down in price substantially.

J-Tier

You will always regret it to a degree as long as there's a lingering "what if?" The only way to be fully free of regret is to have both. I'm sure you'll be able to work out a way in which you could find an Xbox One for relatively cheap.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Go with what you want to play.

I would HIGHLY suggest waiting until the new Xbox Slim comes out though as I'm sure someone will have a "Trade in your PS4 for $200" or some such deal. I would make sure to sell your PS4 BEFORE the Neo comes out as there will be a flood into the used market and it will go down in price substantially.

Gamestop's giving $200 right now, while also offering the option to take cash at the same value as credit. Perfect option as you can now buy whatever, wherever.

Bluenoser

So many things to consider:

- where do your friends play?
- do you care about trophies at all? Do you prefer that system over achievements?
- do you play online? XBG vs PS+
- for multiplats, do you care which version performs better? You are trading one group of exclusives for another, but also downgrading your multi-plat experience
- do you care about any upcoming exclusives on PS4... No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Gravity Rush, etc.
- How long are you willing to wait for Neo? People assume it will be out in the fall, but there's no guarantee.

I personally would not see a reason to make the switch, but if you feel like buying PS4 was a mistake then that's you. Seems like you've pretty much already made up your mind what you want. May as well wait for a good sale though.

I know that you say there are deals going on right now, but I'd bet those deals aren't going to go away any time soon.

Do what you want, but were I in your shoes, I'd wait it out until the holiday. That'll give you plenty of time to play No Man's Sky, which you seemed to mention as an interest, and then cash in on whatever holiday deals MS is rolling out to get rid of existing Xbox One stock (in favor of pushing the S and eventually Scorpio).

But do what you will. I personally can't imagine trading my PS4 for an Xbox right now (Particularly given the state of the upcoming state of the Xbox ecosystem that MS laid out at E3), but you've clearly got a list of reasons you think its the right decision.

Would be interested in hearing some opinions on this..

Let me start by saying that my favorite games/series are typically from Nintendo. Over the last few years I've enjoyed my Wii U quite a bit. But, between now and next March, there is not going to be much software output from them. I know I'll more than likely be there day 1 for NX and the new Zelda (I know we don't know what NX is, but it'll play Nintendo games, so I'm in.)

That being said - I've also had a PS4 since shortly after it was released. Looking at my trophies, I can see that a vast majority of the games I've spent time with and enjoyed on my PS4 were multi-platform games that I could have gotten on an Xbox One. Don't get me wrong, my PS4 has been a great system but....

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in. As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch.

With all the deals going on right now for Xbone, I could basically trade in or sell my PS4, games and controllers and walk away with a Xbone. I could play through a bunch of these exclusives between now and March when NX comes out, then just keep it for the occasional multi-platform I really want (like Red Dead 3...)

I only hesitation is I think I might look back a year from now after some amazing Sony exclusive is announced and seriously regret it. I considered just having both, but I barely have time for 2 consoles let alone 3.

So, what should I do?

(For the record, I don't doubt they are both great systems, so this isn's a system warz thread)

Bolded. Well, you will now have access to those exclusives and also some more, such as Ori and The Blind Forest and Sunset Overdrive, just to name a couple.

IT is also apparent you don't care about the graphic face-offs, while others here are thinking it's very important and you'll regret it. Please ignore them as you enjoy games that provide fun, not by an extra pixel.

So with that, like others have said, go with your heart. You will now be able to play those games bolded and other multiplat games in the future with your friends.

hint: if you have access to groupon, they sell xbox live 12-month gold for cheap.

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox.
Sounds like you've got your answer.

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusiveI only hesitation is I think I might look back a year from now after some amazing Sony exclusive is announced and seriously regret it. I considered just having both, but I barely have time for 2 consoles let alone 3.
Both consoles will always have "some amazing exclusive announced" so if you only have one, you'll always be "missing out" on something. That's just how it works.

Get the system you want to play exclusives on and the one your friends are mostly playing. Doesn't matter what system it is at the end of the day just as long as it has what you need.

You're not interested in one of the best games coming out in 2016? Whatever floats your boat.

E8CTRZy.gif

I see this gif when I wake up in the morning and I get happy.

KillGore

XBO is selling dirt cheap. Just save some money and buy a used one. Original XBO will probably drop in price even more, once Xbox One S comes out.

If not, then just sell the ps4

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
If you want the Xbox exclusive games coming out then sure!

Personally, I think the console is inferior in everyway to pretty much every other console in this gen (even over WiiU)

I bought it when sunset overdrive came out but it was the best at collecting dust. I was never so happy to sell something so useless for a 250$ loss!

If you are going to get one it may be better to wait til closer to the new S version release because the older version will get cheaper!

Genio88

Definitely, you could grab one of those new Xbox One S which looks cool, then enjoy Gears 4, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3 and Dead Rising 4, awesome games to come.

Of course my advice would be to go with PC all the way and leave the console be, though you didn't mention it so i think you're not into PC gaming...actually even i still play on console too, since a few titles, like Final Fantasy XV, still lack on PC, so i couldn't give away my Xbox One, also i've got friends who i play with on Xbox Live

CCIE

Banned
You can probably get a used XB1 for about $100... they basically are giving them away. I always end up regretting selling a system. I'm pretty sure you can find $100-150 for a used one.

Shirow

Banned
I had a PS4 before which I sold some time ago and don't miss it at all. The exclusives just don't interest me so when I bought a console again I switched over to xbox about a week ago. I came to this conclusion:

I don't care about VR.
I'm not interested in more God of War or No man's sky.
New xbox exclusives coming up look more fun to play.

It was a no brainer to me, wasn't going to stick with a console because it can play the same games with a couple of more frames with boring exclusives and even that isn't going to stay for long.

Bluenoser

I had a PS4 before which I sold some time ago and don't miss it at all. The exclusives just don't interest me so when I bought a console again I switched over to xbox about a week ago. I came to this conclusion:

I don't care about VR.
I'm not interested in more God of War or No man's sky.
New xbox exclusives coming up look more fun to play.

It was a no brainer to me, wasn't going to stick with a console because it can play the same games with a couple of more frames with boring exclusives and even that isn't going to stay for long.

I find this type of statement to be very disingenuous. With the breadth and variety of PS4 exclusives coming out, the only conclusion I can make is that you dislike PS4's exclusives because they are on PS4. Otherwise, you literally don't like any type of game.

I traded in my PS4 and 45 games to make the switch to Xbox One for the exact reasons OP is contemplating it in February. I like the exclusives better and my friends play on Xbox. I don't regret the decision one bit.

SOR5

If your friends and games you want are on Xbox, get an Xbox
If your friends and games you want are on PS4, get a PS4

Shirow

Banned
I find this type of statement to be very disingenuous. With the breadth and variety of PS4 exclusives coming out, the only conclusion I can make is that you dislike PS4's exclusives because they are on PS4. Otherwise, you literally don't like any type of game.
They do have a breadth of variety, and it's my first Xbox in probably more than 5 years. Have had it for a week now. Sorry to burst your "observation" but if anything I've supported PlayStation more than most. That variety that you speak of comes from franchises that don't interest me simple as that.

Variety doesn't = interest. For example I'm sure a vegetarian restaurant has variety but maybe I don't want to eat vegetarian. Sony's upcoming offerings look dull sorry, and I say that has a full PlayStation supporter jumping ship. I don't care about that me too zombie game, no man's land looks boring, I literally cannot take more GoW and uncharted and Sony's multiplayer experiences are non existent.

Bluenoser

They do have a breadth of variety, and it's my first Xbox in probably more than 5 years. Have had it for a week now. Sorry to burst your "observation" but if anything I've supported PlayStation more than most. That variety that you speak of comes from franchises that don't interest me simple as that.

Variety doesn't = interest. For example I'm sure a vegetarian restaurant has variety but maybe I don't want to eat vegetarian. Sony's upcoming offerings look dull sorry, and I say that has a full PlayStation supporter jumping ship. I don't care about that me too zombie game, no man's land looks boring, I literally cannot take more GoW and uncharted and Sony's multiplayer experiences are non existent.

You realize the variety I'm talking about goes well beyond first party studios right? But that's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

CCIE

Banned
Seriously, if you are buying an Xbox S, you are wasting money at this point in time. Scorpio will be out a YEAR later. Get a used one for chump change, and then a Scorpio if you want. THAT is the only thing that actually makes any kind of sense

DryvBy

Ya know, the Rare Replay was the reason I bought mine and it wasn't as impressive as I thought. 90% were trash to play by today's standards. The N64 stuff was still fun.

You can't really have GAF decide what you want because we're not you.

goonergaz

I think you need to give it more than a week but I agree, it's weird - I'm exactly the opposite...nothing on XB gets me excited at all, I've never really enjoyed MS exclusives yet for some reason love Sony ones...it's like you're either suited to one of the other and I couldn't care less about online gaming - PS4 does that well enough for me (never had any issues).

Top Bottom