• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of selling PS4 for Xbox One... Will I regret it?

Aenima

Try get a used Xbox One if u short on money and enjoy the exclusives of both consoles.

There are alot of great PS4 exclusives coming out...

- No Man Sky ( August )
- The Last Guardian ( October )
- Gravity Rush 2 ( December )
- Persona 5 (February 2017 )
- Horizon Zero Dawn ( March 2017 )
- etc, etc

... if none of this games interest to you, then better trade it.

HarryKS

Those threads are the worst since they end up like top 10 list for headphones. Never a concensus. You end up with more questions than answers. The opinions are too divided. Actually, headphone discussions are worse.

Ein Bear

As an owner of both, I have to say I've been quite disappointed in Sony's first party stuff on the PS4. It's a shame, since they had a ridiculously good output on the PS3, but their more recent games just aren't doing it for me. New IPs like Knack and the Order are falling flat, and updates to existing franchises like Infamous and Killzone don't have the same quality as their PS3 installments.

It's the exact opposite situation with Microsoft however, who seem to be making a real effort to improve their software output after how bleak the latter years of the 360 got. Existing franchises like Halo and Forza are seeing their best releases in years, whilst they're also making fun new titles like Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive.

Definitely keep your PS4 if you can afford it, but I'd say the Xbox side of things is a stronger lineup if you can only afford one.

SwolBro

Banned
i think the xbox one has been the best platform since launch so yes i'd do it.

i'd get the new xbox one s plus an elite controller.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I'd say go for it. I'm a Xbox One only owner (and Wii U I guess) and I only borrow a PS4 from friends when I need it (only needed to for Uncharted 4 so far) and I have no regrets.

I personally think that Microsoft exclusives are much better and I'm glad I got an Xbox only this gen. I had all 3 last gen and I barely bought anything on my PS3. You'll be fine on Xbox One.

Get a PC or upgrade it if you have one already, get Neo later (and see that there's more stuff beyond Horizon and NMS, like Detroit, GT, Gravity Rush, Persona 5, THE LAST FUCKING GUARDIAN, etc).

Win/win, and probably not much more expensive in the long run (if you get an XBone now you're so going to regret it next year).

Davey Cakes

1) XBOX is where your friends are.

2) You're interested in more of the exclusives on XBOX.

Those are two sound reasons for making the switch, especially the former. Community and inclusiveness are important to gaming these days.

Personally if all your mates are there can see the pull to swap. You have to follow your heart as many others have said however couple of bits of advise/thoughts.

1) Do you have playstation plus if so how much longer you got on it? You will miss out on atleast 2 games a month if still have any sub left and will likely have to get gold might be worth waiting if only a few months.

2) I would personally wait to get Xbox 1S with 500gb or 1tb if you can strech the budget should not be too long after the 2tb comes out also suspect prices for the OG xbox may fall then too further.

If 1 or 2 appeal to you can get No Mans Sky and play till you trade. None of the new big xbox exclusives come out till later in the year, so would suggest you wait.

Personally never would do the swap but certainly can see why you would want to and tried to put myself in your shoes. Good luck whatever you decide to do

Rellik

I personally prefer Xbox One exclusives. I also had a PS4, but sold it, and I don't regret it.

You can always buy a cheap PS4 at the end of the gen if you really want to play that one game that was exclusive.

The problem is, Xbox One doesn't really have exclusives anymore. They're all on or going to be on PC.

I'm response to OP. Just go where your friends are. I had both consoles and regretted my Xbox purchase and sold it. But it's personal preference at the end of the day.

Catdaddy

Do it, I own both systems, bought PS4 at launch, Xbox One during the past holiday, and enjoy both. Since then spent more time going through the Xbox exclusives than on my PS4, so if that is what you want to play go for it.

SomTervo

It's a tough question, OP.

If you don't have PC, why don't see you how No Man's Sky pans out on PS4. If it doesn't tickle your fancy, trading in for an XBO is probably the way too go.

Wait for Scorpio and enjoy No Man Sky and Horizon in the meantime?

An elegant solution.

Famassu

PS4 is about to have a pretty incredible 9 months + there's no sense in buying Xbone now with a vastly upgraded version coming out in a year. PS4 will have Last guardian, gravity rush 2, gt sport, nier 2, Horizon, Dreams, some interesting PS VR games and a plethora of other exclusive games + it's the better platform for multiplatforms.

I got rid of my PS4 about 18 months ago and got an Xbox one instead and haven't regretted it one bit. Loads of great exclusives and I haven't found any multiplatform games to be huge downgrades in my eyes.

If there's games you want - go for it.

Would be interested in hearing some opinions on this..

Let me start by saying that my favorite games/series are typically from Nintendo. Over the last few years I've enjoyed my Wii U quite a bit. But, between now and next March, there is not going to be much software output from them. I know I'll more than likely be there day 1 for NX and the new Zelda (I know we don't know what NX is, but it'll play Nintendo games, so I'm in.)

That being said - I've also had a PS4 since shortly after it was released. Looking at my trophies, I can see that a vast majority of the games I've spent time with and enjoyed on my PS4 were multi-platform games that I could have gotten on an Xbox One. Don't get me wrong, my PS4 has been a great system but....

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in. As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch.

With all the deals going on right now for Xbone, I could basically trade in or sell my PS4, games and controllers and walk away with a Xbone. I could play through a bunch of these exclusives between now and March when NX comes out, then just keep it for the occasional multi-platform I really want (like Red Dead 3...)

I only hesitation is I think I might look back a year from now after some amazing Sony exclusive is announced and seriously regret it. I considered just having both, but I barely have time for 2 consoles let alone 3.

So, what should I do?

(For the record, I don't doubt they are both great systems, so this isn's a system warz thread)

Based on what you have written here, I think you will be fine with a Xbox one.

The only caution I would give you is that it's future performance wise isn't bright. Post 2017, expect 720p sub 30fps titles to be the norm.

But if you are ok with that or interested with an upgrade to Scorpio, I think you should get one.

Luckydog

The problem is, Xbox One doesn't really have exclusives anymore. They're all on or going to be on PC.

I'm response to OP. Just go where your friends are. I had both consoles and regretted my Xbox purchase and sold it. But it's personal preference at the end of the day.

The OP is asking a console question, not sure why PC even plays into this. He likes the XBone games, wants to game with his friends which are on the Xbone, and OG Xbones are cheap now. How does anyone look at this post and not think getting an Xbone is the right move "FOR HIM".

Honestly, I would say do it. But deep down I know that if I had a ps4, even if I didn't play it anymore and I sold it , within a week I would be buying another and my old games.

That's the collector in me, I did that with my ps2

As a ps4 only owner, i'd say go for it. If nothing really interests you on ps4 even after this past e3 then you won't regret it. Besides, your friends are on xbox and you prefer their exclusives as you stated so go for it. Sony is not going to suddenly start annoucing games that interests you on the Ps4 just when you sold it for an Xb1.

Scrawnton

I have both systems and I prefer the Xbox 80% of the time. I still keep my PS4 because I like my JRPGs. I play FF14 on it, will be buying FF15 for it, as well as Persona. Outside of that, I play on the Xbox.

Sony exclusives don't really do much for me either. I would regret selling the PS4 but sometimes I wish all the Square games were on Xbox as well just do I didn't feel the need to keep the PS4.

Also, I'm still extremely salty we can't play ps1 games yet. Sony has been poor on fan service lately.

Nameless

Sleep on it for a month or so

8/2-Abzu
8/9-No Man's Sky
8/16-Bound
8/23-King of Fighters/Nioh Beta
8/30-God Eater 2

If you still really want an XB1, they'll be even cheaper used with the updated model on the market, or you can go ahead and sell your PS4 for an S.

Montresor

XB1 is a great system. It gets a bad rap but it has a phenomenal library. It doesn't have Horizon Zero Dawn, it doesn't have Uncharted, it doesn't have No Man's Sky, but PS4 is not the only console with actual good exclusives.

If you like JRPGs you have to keep your PS4 - from what I can tell that's a huge weakness of the XB1 library. But if you don't care about JRPGs then pretty much any genre you can think of will get covered on XB1, whether it's through indies, through multiplats, or through exclusives...

Would be interested in hearing some opinions on this..

I think I would prefer to play some of the exclusives on Xbox. Games like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, RARE Replay, the HALO series and Dead Rising 3/4 look great. Meanwhile, aside from Horizon: Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, there isn't all that much upcoming that I'm interested in. As a bonus, most of my friends are on Xbox which means if I ever want to play with them online I'd have to make a switch.

(For the record, I don't doubt they are both great systems, so this isn's a system warz thread)

Oh bro thats huge.
You got to switch.

This is what it is all about, liking the first party exclusives. If you like one over the other choose that console for your games.

Games over power.

phant0m

To quote Colin from Kinda Funny:

Don't sell hardware.

DON'T.
SELL.
HARDWARE.

Also I wouldn't do it, I can't stand the XB1 interface. Navigating is painful compared to PS4. FH2 is my favorite racing game ever, but I wouldn't trade my PS4 to play it. If you really want an XBONE save your money and get one to have alongside your PS4.

Jeffrey

With the price of xb1 going less than a launch wii. I see no reason for you to sell the ps4 unless things are that tight financially.

But with the neo coming I can see the base ps4 being fairly cheap if you ever want to play an exclusive later so do what you feel. Life is too short to second guess over these things xD

Jmille99

You're mostly playing multiplat games on Ps4, don't really like their exclusives, and your friends are on X1. Why did you get a PS4 in the first place?

Pick up an X1. Sounds like it would better suit your interests.

I always regret selling a console, sounds like you are gonna regret it once more exclusives that interest you come to PS4. I would just get an Xbox in addition

Sydle

So there are a lot of Xbox exclusives you want to play and that's where your friends are? Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, and Dead Rising 4 are out this fall, each with multi-player. Then you can catch up on Forza Horizon 2, Rare Replay, Halo MCC, and Halo 5...before you also play Sunset Overdrive and Ori and the Blind Forest (if you like Nintendo output you should love this one, too).

The answer seems pretty obvious, plus there are some really cheap deals. The B/S/T trade thread has a couple of deals below $200 with a game, shipped. I say go for it.

You could always get a Neo later if you do see that must-have exclusive.

xabbott

I own both and end up using my xb1 more often for similar reasons you listed (Exclusives, friends). Also...while I wouldn't recommend it if money is a concern the kinect is really useful to me for navigation. Mostly for on, off, volume, and play/pause.

Oh and I skipped 360 last gen so back compat has been nice.

Keep your PS4 and save up for a decent PC.

Best of both worlds.

Would be my advice, but then again, my taste in games seems very different from OP's.
As a fan of both indie games and Japanese games, the PS4 has a lot more going for it I think.

But if you're interested in a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'd definitely hold on to it for awhile. I mean, you don't have to wait that long before it's out. And yes, the chance that Sony announces a major exclusive you want is pretty big, considering Sony announces many exclusives.

Might not be a bad idea to wait and play no man's sky, and do a trade out after you are done having fun with that.

Personally speaking, I have had a lot of enjoyment with the X1 exclusive games (Inside, Ori, and SSO are some great gems) and don't think you would regret getting one, but if you could afford to keep the PS4 and get a XB1 that obviously would be even better.

Another factor just to keep in mind is that XB1 will never have the ability to do VR, while PS4 will.

But if all your friends are on XB1 then it would make sense for you to get one eventually.

Good luck with your decision!

Auron

Every time that I have sold hardware to buy another I have regretted it. We still have years left in the PS4, the best selling console this generation, that will no doubt have more exclusives coming.

If I were you I would just figure out a way to own both.

Wil348

Don't see why you would regret it really. Most multiplats look/run just fine on XB1 (even if they are slightly inferior to PS4 versions in most cases) and if the exclusives appeal to you more then go for it.

(PS4 owner here, looking to get an XB1 as a secondary console)

PulseONE

If your friends are there you should go, but I find as a general rules it usually works out better in the long run to save up and get the other console instead of selling the one you have

It only takes some great exclusive announcements to make you regret it

mejin

I'd recommend to wait for Scorpio. But if you really to waste your money on XBO at least get the S version.

shandy706

A very tiny percentage of people have gaming PCs. Every Microsoft exclusive is still a console exclusive.

Having said that....the OP could look at going PC if he has the money. If he's only looking to spend $200-$400 then don't even think of going PC. Get an Xbox One.

Personally, I'd just buy both if I had one already...and wanted the other.

You're not interested in one of the best games coming out in 2016? Whatever floats your boat.

E8CTRZy.gif

Kat is back, baby! Game looks so good.

Top Bottom