• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Third Party Wii Games

Jun 11, 2006
9,239
0
0
Sadist said:
He's slightly right. The Wii was established in the market without many of these types of games and that has had many effects, but the two interesting ones are:
1) People who are specifically seeking out those types of games have likely purchased a PS3 or 360 for that purpose.
2) People who might be interested, own a Wii, and haven't picked up a PS3 or 360 for those types of experiences don't have their eyes open for them since they're not terribly expected.... GAF members excepted.

Hopefully third parties are so stupid as to write Nintendo off completely, and will focus a lot of that type of support to their next system in it's first year. Self fulfilling prophecies I tell ya.

EDIT: These types of games being bloody, violent, and full of dick and fart jokes.
 

Sadist

Member
Feb 2, 2008
24,668
0
1,220
The Netherlands
i43.tinypic.com
bmf said:
He's slightly right. The Wii was established in the market without many of these types of games and that has had many effects, but the two interesting ones are:
1) People who are specifically seeking out those types of games have likely purchased a PS3 or 360 for that purpose.
2) People who might be interested, own a Wii, and haven't picked up a PS3 or 360 for those types of experiences don't have their eyes open for them since they're not terribly expected.... GAF members excepted.

Hopefully third parties are so stupid as to write Nintendo off completely, and will focus a lot of that type of support to their next system in it's first year. Self fulfilling prophecies I tell ya.

EDIT: These types of games being bloody, violent, and full of dick and fart jokes.
Oh but I agree on the "matoor" games, but I'm always baffled about these types of statements concerning MadWorld. I liked it for what it is, but come on: you really can't see why it didn't sell? :lol
 

pakkit

Banned
Feb 19, 2008
10,913
0
0
Richmond, VA
Zero Tolerance said:
A contributing factor to my lack of friends is that I decided to buy a Wii rather than a PS3/60. My friends from the college days did the latter.
People pick their friends based on what videogame consoles they own?!

:lol
 

AniHawk

Member
Jun 7, 2004
74,679
8
1,595
MYE said:

Four years later and I'm still surprised this thing got used so much.
 

Penguin

Member
Jun 15, 2004
32,800
0
1,530
www.nerdsontherocks.com
pakkit said:
People pick their friends based on what videogame consoles they own?!

:lol

You don't? Weirdo

I remember as a young Penguin, it was always win-win. Friends had same consoles, games to borrow. Different ones get to try out games you can't buy.

Now so much of a gamer's image is tied up into their consoles. I have 2 friends who always get into it with me because they feel like PS3 is superior to 360 and they see me playing my 360. I often times have to remind em, I'm a Nintendo guy, but honestly at the end of the day. Aside from some fun pissing games, no console seems to suit any one type of person anymore, which is good or bad IMO.
 

rpmurphy

Member
Dec 6, 2008
14,937
1
0
Penguin said:
You don't? Weirdo

I remember as a young Penguin, it was always win-win. Friends had same consoles, games to borrow. Different ones get to try out games you can't buy.

Now so much of a gamer's image is tied up into their consoles. I have 2 friends who always get into it with me because they feel like PS3 is superior to 360 and they see me playing my 360. I often times have to remind em, I'm a Nintendo guy, but honestly at the end of the day. Aside from some fun pissing games, no console seems to suit any one type of person anymore, which is good or bad IMO.
For me and my friends, we got different consoles altogether (not on purpose) and it was pretty awesome because combined we had a lot of different games to play.
 

Penguin

Member
Jun 15, 2004
32,800
0
1,530
www.nerdsontherocks.com
A CEO who has kind words to say on the Wii, but honestly don't know what they have done. :lol

http://www.develop-online.net/news/34227/The-Wii-market-is-safe-again-says-Reef-CEO

“Its very easy to say that the market is oversaturated on the Wii, but many people have moved away from it, leaving things much more open again. What may not make sense for a bigger company may be great for a smaller set-up. It’s quite remarkable how quickly sales can be made, if you put the work in.”

This to me is the most interesting part. Sure we won't see any major 3rd party support this late in the game, but yeah I expect the overall ratio of crap should decrease so maybe smaller 3rd parties can get some sales.
 

Sammy Samusu

Member
Aug 3, 2009
19,285
1
0
Moga Village
Not sure if I should bump this thread, but...

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/1...erations-by-cooperating-with-other-companies/
Addressing a question regarding outside collaboration in order to speed up operations, Iwata provided some insight into his thoughts on the matter:

“When I spoke in January, I said that we should not think that we have to do everything with only internal resources and that I’d like to realize more speedy operations by smartly cooperating with people outside the company. My thought has not changed at all, and it is true that we are starting to share such an idea with various people, but I cannot share any concrete example here today because such a talk always involve someone outside the company and because we should publicly confirm any such alliance only after the necessary preparations are done.

Hopefully, we will be able to share with you some ideas in a year or two, when you will be able to understand that it is something I was referring to today. We are making some progresses as time goes by.”

It’s important to note that “a year or two” would imply that these collaborations are of long-term significance rather than short-term initiatives such as externally-developed games being released in the near future.
:D
 

Penguin

Member
Jun 15, 2004
32,800
0
1,530
www.nerdsontherocks.com
EDGE: And what about Dead Space: Extraction. That got off to a slow start, didn’t it? How’s it performed sales-wise and do you deem it to have been a success?

SP: First of all, from the team and my perspective we’re very proud of that game and we think that critically it was very well received. As far as commercial numbers on that, again I don’t have that information, but I think the perception of it starting out slowly as you said, that did happen, but clearly it increased in popularity as time went by. What we’ve noticed is if you look at Xbox 360 and PS3 software sales they tend to spike right away when a game comes out, and then on the Wii it tends to be a little longer of a tail, so to speak. Even if you look at the Nintendo firstparty titles, their games continue to be at the top of the charts many months after they’ve released.

Sounds like it didn't bomb horribly, maybe it finally started reaching a price people wanted it at from the get go.

http://edge-online.com/features/interview-dead-space-2
 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,547
0
0
Turrican3 said:
My guess is that Iwata is going to pursue more co-development efforts like Nintendo x Tecmo in Metroid Other M.


It could also mean cooperation with companies for hardware and services like online, not just software.
Hopefully, it's a bit of each.
We'll see in 2012 when the Super Wii launches.
 

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apr 14, 2007
47,876
0
1,450
Hopefully he's talking about teaming up full-on with Google and making ES the OS of the Wii, and Google as the default provider of online... drool...
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Feb 11, 2007
21,699
1
0
nipponsalesage.blogspot.com

Sammy Samusu

Member
Aug 3, 2009
19,285
1
0
Moga Village
Turrican3 said:
My guess is that Iwata is going to pursue more co-development efforts like Nintendo x Tecmo in Metroid Other M.
This.

But it could also bring more deals like Monster Hunter Tri, Tales of Graces, Dragon Quest IX/X, Samurais Warriors 3, etc.

And Reggie obviously has nothing to do with it.
 

ShinNL

Member
May 2, 2006
5,655
308
1,605
Sadist said:
Here's some free advice for Iwata:

Give Smash Bros. a rest the next generation and team up with Capcom for Nintendo vs. Capcom.
Yeah, somehow this really blew my mind. I was like...

Mmm?

Oh wait, I see...

Oh, Capcom's vsCapcom (.com) brand and ... could happen...

zOMG, Nintendo vs Capcom!? *mind blows up with imagination*
 
Jun 11, 2006
9,239
0
0
ZAK said:
They can call it, "Smash Bros. vs. Capcom."
If they do that, there should be two games. The first being Smash Brothers Vs. Capcom which would be in the smash brothers style, and then later a Capcom Vs. Nintendo that would be in Capcom Vs. style. Release them two years apart.
 

Turrican3

Member
Jul 27, 2006
1,610
0
1,115
Italy
www.gamers4um.it
AceBandage said:
It could also mean cooperation with companies for hardware and services like online, not just software.
Hopefully, it's a bit of each.
Yeah, I think it's likely.

But I wouldn't also forget what I said a couple of days ago in the financial report thread: Nintendo's got some 1000+ employees during the last three FYs, even if we assume that 3/4 of them have absolutely nothing to do with making games, there would still be a nice 250ish more people that could easily (well, potentially) form another EAD X team.

Being able to put more software in a timely fashion has been stated multiple times IIRC by Iwata itself as something that Nintendo must be able to do, the sooner the better. I think they will try to do this with a combination of increased first party output and the aforementioned co-developing efforts.

We'll see in 2012 when the Super Wii launches.
:D