• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gen is the worst ever and i've been in gaming since year 1998

Klik

So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.Who knows if even UE5 will be playable on this gen. I think we might have to wait till PS6/Next Xbox to get true next gen games.

Yes Hellblade 2 looks great but its basically 6 hour linear "cinematic hold your hand" showcase.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Steve Martin Idk GIF

I kinda agree. The instant loadings are awesome but the problem is that few games actually have instant loadings and most games are still the same games than before. Nothing topped Bloodborne, God of War or Monster Hunter World for me on PS5. Demon's Souls is still the best PS5 game and it's the remake of a PS3 game!

And yes those games running on UE5 are not looking that great for my tastes. There are too many compromises with this tech on consoles.

HL3.exe

Yes Hellblade 2 looks great but its basically 6 hour linear "cinematic hold your hand" showcase.
7 years of development for a 6 hour visually spectacular but gameplay limited experience. I say, not worth it.

Spend that CPU 'horse power' (even if it's a Ryzen 1+ CPU) on something more systems driven and dynamic. I'm personally fine with PS4 level graphics (even PS360 for that matter) if it means we finally get to innovate more on dynamic/reactive game-logic stuff, instead of individual eyelash hairs.

Last edited:

Aenima

Has been pretty great to me. Cheaper access to a bigger selection of games, load times went from 20sec/ 1min to 5-10sec, most games went from unstable 30fps to 60fps. For inovation thers indie games, triple A games are too expensive to try experiment new ideas that might fail and shut down an entire studio.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.Who knows if even UE5 will be playable on this gen. I think we might have to wait till PS6/Next Xbox to get true next gen games.

Fortunately Hellblade isn't the only game that shows improvements over last gen. ;)

Besides, we've been through this. The gen started in the thick of a pandemic and is only now beginning to noticeably recover. Thus, the hardware has hardly been scratched.

El Muerto

Been gaming since the NES days. My physical library for my PS5 and Xbox barely competes with the stacks of games i have for the previous gens. Not interested in all these boring exclusives on both sides where it focuses solely on cinematics. Just give me something fun to play.

SkylineRKR

I was kind of cool with PS4 (Pro) graphics. I hated the load times the most. And the perf. Like Witcher 3, 2 minutes loading for a fast travel and then some janky 20fps shit. Now you get mostly 60, and near instant fast travel in games this scale.

The issues I have with modern games are mainly by their design and vision.

Indyblue

It definitely feels more iterative than other gens and has been pretty underwhelming so far, that’s for sure. But there are still a lot of fun new games, even if they could all be on last gen with a few downgrades. I’m glad I got a ps5, overall.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I've been playing since the NES as well and this is probably my least favorite gen as well. Everything feels been there, done that. Nothing really grabs me anymore. I still love gaming but it finally feels like everything has been done.

It doesn't help that nice PC GPUs are literally $2000. I'd probably play more modern games if upgrading wasn't prohibitively expensive.

Rockman33

7 years of development for a 6 hour visually spectacular but gameplay limited experience. I say, not worth it.

Spend that CPU 'horse power' (even if it's a Ryzen 1+ CPU) on something more systems driven and dynamic. I'm personally fine with PS4 level graphics (even PS360 for that matter) if it means we finally get to innovate more on dynamic/reactive game-logic stuff, instead of individual eyelash hairs.
4 1/2 year development. And the game might not be amazing. But least they pushed the boundary forward in some cases. More than the vast majority of games can say.

Everything is changing right now: the internet, AAA gaming, ai, traditional console gaming and more. So yeah, this is probably the worst generation for traditional gaming ever, and since AAA gaming is not sustainable as is, we'll just get more f2p, GaaS and $100 games that include mtx and battle passes even for sp games, plus ever-rising costs for online and subscription services.

Even though I own PS5, Series X and S and Switch I don't spend money for playing online, and rarely sub to stuff like GP and PS+, and almost never buy $70 games, so there's no chance I'll buy them at $100. Oh, and once physical games are totally gone I'll just stop buying new games and focus on older stuff and only buy super cheap digital titles going forward.

bosnianpie

I think you have a point. We sure get quality games, fun gameplay, great graphics and interesting stories but there is something off about this generation. I'm mostly playing on PS and have done so since the first console and I have a hard time getting a "feel" for the PS5.

It's like I'm waiting for the next MGS, GTA, Uncharted or The Last of Us and we never really get there. Even the hype is slow, it takes ages to announce something and years to finish development. I don't know, maybe I'm just old. :messenger_hushed:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Some things are bad and some are great. If I stuck with the PS5 I got in 2020 I think I'd be ready to practically quit gaming at this point. Gamepass is the killer app for me and I have enjoyed the Xbox 1st party stuff. Switch was great as well if that counts. Thats my honest opinion. Indies have been better than any previous gen.

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely one of the worst/most boring generations for me thus far.

I don’t think the next will get any better though. Upcoming Ps5 games will be Ps6 launch games etc. it’ll just be the same but even more dragged out.

Some things are bad and some are great. If I stuck with the PS5 I got in 2020 I think I'd be ready to practically quit gaming at this point. Gamepass is the killer app for me and I have enjoyed the Xbox 1st party stuff. Switch was great as well if that counts. Thats my honest opinion. Indies have been better than any previous gen.
My hot take: I’m of the belief that anyone can find their fun in this hobby. There are more than enough games out there to fill up a digital library the size of a continent.

If anyone is spending more time being angry than finding fun, then that person isn’t treating the hobby like a hobby. They’re instead treating it as an emotional outlet.

Švejk

Personally, the worst "slump" in gaming was during the Wii hype days and PS3's rocky launch.. Other big things were going on in life, so I'm sure that played a pretty big role in the gaming feels.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Er.....

2024 Releases:

• Hades 2
  • FF7 Rebirth
  • The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered (PS5)
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  • Palworld
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Tekken 8
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Helldivers 2
  • Pentiment for Switch PS5
  • Unicorn Overlord
  • Horizon Forbidden West + Ghost of tsushima (PC)
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • No Rest for The Wicked
  • Sea of Thieves (PS5)
  • System Shock Remake
  • Multiversus
  • V Rising
  • Elden Ring: Shadow of The Erdtree
  • Shin Megami Tensei 5: Vengeance
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Frostpunk 2
  • Final Fantasy XIV DawnTrail
  • Black Myth: Wukong
  • Space Marine 2
  • Metaphor Re:Fantazio
  • Assassin's Creed Shadows
  • Indiana Jones: Great Circle
  • Avowed

I think what you've mean is that there was no game that made a huge impact on the world this generation, but Baldur's Gate 3 exists.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This generation is for the generation, it's has nothing to define it other then looking to the past to compensate for how uninspired it is.
It's great and terrible for those exact reasons

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My hot take: I’m of the belief that anyone can find their fun in this hobby. There are more than enough games out there to fill up a digital library the size of a continent.

If anyone is spending more time being angry than finding fun, then that person isn’t treating the hobby like a hobby. They’re instead treating it as an emotional outlet.
I agree with that personally. But others may not. If people feel that much disappointment I think something is lacking in the offering for them. Everyone is different.

Casuals have entered and infected your industry. The corporate suits were not far behind when they saw the $$$.

Play old games. Savor what little few gems we do get now. Barring some collapse and reboot of the industry (not impossible) this is how shit is now. The times you loved 1998-~2017/2018 have gone bye bye

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I've been gaming since 1991 and I agree

This gen is like if the main consoles were the

Apple Pippen(Xbox Series), Atari Jaguar(PS5) and the GB Color(Switch)

but everyone was acting like it was the second coming.....get real!

Armored Core VI is a big standout for me and I know everyone has one or two 'exceptions' they really enjoy

Not even going to get into cross-gen and the fact that this 'generation' is like 12 games and like only five of them are really good

Thank goodness I've got my CRT monitor and old consoles because for the first time ever I don't give a damn about the future of gaming

Everything is so fucking boring

Chukhopops

IMO just 2023 alone was better than the entire PS3/360/Wii generation. This was the true worst gen ever and I’ve been playing since the NES era.

This gen also was the comeback gen for most JP devs (except Square lmao), for Nintendo and it even brought the first « market ready » VR headset with the Quest 3.

Good stuff overall.

Top Bottom