• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gen is the worst ever and i've been in gaming since year 1998

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
My hot take: I’m of the belief that anyone can find their fun in this hobby. There are more than enough games out there to fill up a digital library the size of a continent.

If anyone is spending more time being angry than finding fun, then that person isn’t treating the hobby like a hobby. They’re instead treating it as an emotional outlet.
Absolute best post in here. Every device on the market provides value to someone.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yes Hellblade 2 looks great but its basically 6 hour linear "cinematic hold your hand" showcase.
ea37d5c281b7ca7c35175bdc854b0a5b.gif

YuLY

IMO just 2023 alone was better than the entire PS3/360/Wii generation. This was the true worst gen ever and I’ve been playing since the NES era.
Utter bs. PS360 gave birth to some of the most beloved francizes and game types, without which I probably would have fallen out of my love for gaming in time. It gave us Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Witcher , Bioshock games etc etc . It had the modern controls that most game still use to this day, I actually went to some older ps2 third person shooters and they were so archaic and unintuitive and also looked like they were from the 90s instead of 00s.

Nothing beats this lineup:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I agree that this is overall by far the worst console gen ever. What I don't share is your optimism for the future. It's only going to get worse from here on in. The industry is, by this point, so littered by the woke hivemind and people who don't give a damn about games, the real talent has no footing there any more. Only a total crash could save it.

Luckily every now and then some legit material still slips through the cracks, like Elden Ring and the RE4 Remake. But those are getting even more rare in the coming years. If have little hope left for the AAA industry. The indies may fill a gap here and there, however not for me because even if they look and play good, they always lack something to shack the classic indie feeling.

Puscifer

Definitely the worst. Very few current gen-only games. FF7 Rebirth, Spiderman 2, Starfield..........is that it?
Spider-Man 2 isn't even that impressive. I remember playing Miles on PS4 Pro and then on PS5 and outside of 60 fps I couldn't tell a difference.

Returnal is the only game I feel has shown anything really next gen. The way it used the power to throw everything at the player whine the SSD letting the entire game be seemless has been the most impressive display for me.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I agree, i've been gaming on PC since 95 and i still haven't bought a new game since Cyberpunk 2077 in Feb 2021, i never went more than about 6 months before then, the games are either not good enough to justify the price they want or are too broken to waste money on,, also the industry doesn't want to make the games gamers want like TES, Fallout, Bioshock new Dishonored etc, they keep trying to force live service games on us hoping one takes off for monetization reasons, Ghosts of Tsushima looks good on PC, but then again it's not a new game is it.

Alebrije

So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.Who knows if even UE5 will be playable on this gen. I think we might have to wait till PS6/Next Xbox to get true next gen games.

Yes Hellblade 2 looks great but its basically 6 hour linear "cinematic hold your hand" showcase.
The worse was when we moved from 2D to 3D, the early stages of 3D consoles are a nightmare but it was necessary to be where we are now.

Don't mater how powerfull graphic cards, engines Will be or are , we reached a point where graphic improvements are less noticeable. PS6 games won't look súper advanced compared to PS5.

Improvement must come on enemy AI, physics , ambient ( sound , lighting, land deformation etc)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s been one of the best. Everything is available digitally. You don’t have to go to the store. Lots of classic games released with QOL improvements. Remote play anytime you want. Sure there’s some misses, but overall there’s an abundance of games to play.

I was looking at the GBA library and while there are some banger JRPGs and platformers, there’s like a couple dozen Nickelodeon or Disney games.

We also have places like GOG that have lots of classics. I’m streaming Tekken 8 from my PS5 on the couch. That beats playing a very pixelated version of Tekken Dark Resurrection on a PSP.

To each their own opinion, but it’s so much better. I could stream Bloodborne if I wanted to, but I already have multiple play through and-the Platinum trophy.

LRKD

Both 8th and 9th generation have been significant drops from the ones before them. People will cope that "oh I enjoyed game x on ps4, and game y on ps5 has graphics that made me piss myself" No I don't care that there are still good games here and there, as a whole, they have gotten worse the past two gens.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I’ve read this 5 times and I think I agree, but I’m not sure…
Just like the last decade has been undefined and uneventful with a complete lack of progress and a focus on looking to the past for nostalgia for anything actually good.
TV, Film, even your damn Phones
That's pretty much is what defines this generation outside of the woke shit.
The new (Games) Generation is pretty much the same.

XXL

Er.....

2024 Releases:

• Hades 2
  • FF7 Rebirth
  • The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered (PS5)
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  • Palworld
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Tekken 8
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Helldivers 2
  • Pentiment for Switch PS5
  • Unicorn Overlord
  • Horizon Forbidden West + Ghost of tsushima (PC)
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • No Rest for The Wicked
  • Sea of Thieves (PS5)
  • System Shock Remake
  • Multiversus
  • V Rising
  • Elden Ring: Shadow of The Erdtree
  • Shin Megami Tensei 5: Vengeance
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Frostpunk 2
  • Final Fantasy XIV DawnTrail
  • Black Myth: Wukong
  • Space Marine 2
  • Metaphor Re:Fantazio
  • Assassin's Creed Shadows
  • Indiana Jones: Great Circle
  • Avowed

I think what you've mean is that there was no game that made a huge impact on the world this generation, but Baldur's Gate 3 exists.
This.

I can barely keep up with all the new releases and my backlogs are massive.

I haven't even played Stellar Blade or AC6 yet.

And yes, BG3 is one of the best games of all time as far as I'm concerned.

Also, 2023 on PSVR 2 was fucking amazing.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I got Dragons Dogma 2, ToTK, Ronin, Elden Ring, FFXVI, Mario Wonder, RE4R, YS X, Unicorn Overlord, Armored Core, Xenoblade 3, Bayonetta 3, Triangle Strategy, Persona3R... Many more which i'm too lazy to write. I'm so fine this Gen.

And I'm playing games since NES as well. Still fine gen for me.

Alan Wake

It's been underwhelming, that's for sure. Few new great franchises that excites me personally, not much innovation in games or hardware. DualSense was cool at first but I think very few developers make good use of it. At least Switch has been killing it with great software, if it counts to this gen or the last can be debated but it's still here anyway.

Fbh

I'm of two minds.
On the one hand yeah this gen has been lacking in regards to not only new gameplay ideas and mechanics but also new IP. It's hard not to feel underwhelmed when you look back at the early Ps3/360 era when we got stuff like Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Bayonetta, Gears of War, Uncharted, etc and compare it with today where everyone seems to be doubling down sequels and existing IP.

At the same time though, I think the quality of the games has been great. Games that interest me have been coming out in such a volume that I simply can't catch up. I've yet to play every game from 2023 that I wanted to play and there's already like 3 or 4 releases from this year which I want to play too.

Crew511A

I think it's pretty telling that the "modern" game I spend the most time on lately is Vampire Survivors, with Streets of Rage 4 coming in second. So much of "AAA gaming" is broken. Bring on the crash.

Reactions: Isa
I don't believe we ever will at this point, before they push the next gen onto the market.
We'll see. There's still a lot of games in the pipeline. GTA 6 alone is worth keeping on eye on to see what they do. Nor do I see any real rush to launch a new system, at least on the PS side of things when a pro version is supposedly in the works and they still have a ways to go for market saturation.

PeteBull

im hoping for gta6 to rekindle the fire, otherwise its pretty shity gen, indeed, ofc we got some nice gems of games, but first party devs dropped the ball hard, imho they focusing all they power on wokeness/diversity so there is barely any left to focus on meaningful stuff like fun gameplay/innovation, first party devs/western devs are particulary at fault, japanese devs still gave us quite a few decent games with a soul, gonna be 42yo this year so i remember times of commodore/atari/nes.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Er.....

2024 Releases:

• Hades 2
  • FF7 Rebirth
  • The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered (PS5)
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
  • Palworld
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Tekken 8
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Helldivers 2
  • Pentiment for Switch PS5
  • Unicorn Overlord
  • Horizon Forbidden West + Ghost of tsushima (PC)
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Stellar Blade
  • No Rest for The Wicked
  • Sea of Thieves (PS5)
  • System Shock Remake
  • Multiversus
  • V Rising
  • Elden Ring: Shadow of The Erdtree
  • Shin Megami Tensei 5: Vengeance
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Frostpunk 2
  • Final Fantasy XIV DawnTrail
  • Black Myth: Wukong
  • Space Marine 2
  • Metaphor Re:Fantazio
  • Assassin's Creed Shadows
  • Indiana Jones: Great Circle
  • Avowed

I think what you've mean is that there was no game that made a huge impact on the world this generation, but Baldur's Gate 3 exists.
Do you like and play everything just because it’s a game or what? Assuming you prefer only 1-2 genres this becomes a VERY short list mate.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Do you like and play everything just because it’s a game or what? Assuming you prefer only 1-2 genres this becomes a VERY short list mate.

These are the biggest releases in 2024 so far and there's still stuff that hasnt been announced, for me that's a big list

Last edited:

SHA

So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.Who knows if even UE5 will be playable on this gen. I think we might have to wait till PS6/Next Xbox to get true next gen games.

MS direct x has a design philosophy, instead of building more complex worlds, they prioritize making the surrounding view more prettier, that's way different than adding more characters, animations... etc.

It's the exact same thing when saying you can't take games development seriously, then by definition 90s and 00s games can't be bested.

Last edited:

Rivdoric

Neo Member
I agree with the OP, games have been stalled gameplay/level-design/physics wise for a good 10-15 years now.
And this is not going to get better now that pretty much all AAA studios want to double down on the "cinematic games" to attract "a wider audience".
This might be the reason why i'm encountering major difficulties to keep playing a game now. After 5 hours my head screams "oh yeah it's like XXX that i played XX years ago".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All PS4 games. This is previous gen which was worse than current one.
They came out this gen which makes them current gen game.....I dont share you guys obsession with graphics.

Games like ACVI was absolute joy to play regardless if the graphics was high tech or not, which the most important part of any game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
These are the biggest releases in 2024 so far and there's still stuff that hasnt been announced, for me that's a big list
Half those games are not even released, we have no idea if they will be good, are ports/remasters, or slacktivist-ruined releases with awful/insulting localization.

tmlDan

id really love it if you goofs waited till the gen is over before you claim something thats not true and forget how bad previous gens were at the beginning.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That's why I told people that ideally the PS5 would be released in 2022.

But no one believed me.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Pretty good so far on the Japanese/korean scene, the western releases are nearly all trash tier though, pretty sad to see and the damage is all self inflicted, when will the western studios get rid of sweet baby inc on their games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

For me the pinnacle will always be PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, that generation was very great.

The worst, for me due to life experiences. It was the PS3, WII AND Xbox 360.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Pretty good so far on the Japanese/korean scene, the western releases are nearly all trash tier though, pretty sad to see and the damage is all self inflicted, when will the western studios get rid of sweet baby inc on their games.
Yes, let more games come from Korea, China and Japan, which have been great and the industry has grown.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If all you play is AAA (specifically, Western AAA), then yes - it's abysmal.

Either way, though, there's no harm in going black and playing older stuff you missed. Sounds like those are the kinds of games you want to play anyway.

Last edited:
  • Fire

Chukhopops

Utter bs. PS360 gave birth to some of the most beloved francizes and game types, without which I probably would have fallen out of my love for gaming in time. It gave us Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Witcher , Bioshock games etc etc . It had the modern controls that most game still use to this day, I actually went to some older ps2 third person shooters and they were so archaic and unintuitive and also looked like they were from the 90s instead of 00s.

Nothing beats this lineup:

Matter of preference I guess, I wouldn’t trade games like AssCreed or CoD 4 for Armored Core 6, Baldur’s Gate 3. The PS3/360 gen was also abnormally long with very little happening in the later years.

Not to mention the difference in output between Wii era Nintendo and Switch era Nintendo, indie games barely existing at the time, etc.

Top Bottom