• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gen is the worst ever and i've been in gaming since year 1998

Ozriel

M$FT
All PS4 games. This is previous gen which was worse than current one.

This generation started from November 2020.

Yes, let more games come from Korea, China and Japan, which have been great and the industry has grown.
Pretty good so far on the Japanese/korean scene, the western releases are nearly all trash tier though, pretty sad to see and the damage is all self inflicted, when will the western studios get rid of sweet baby inc on their games.

Ironically, based on the OPs focus on visuals, ‘next gen’ physics and destruction and UE5, many of these Asian games you extol are some of the worst offenders.

But we all know that’s BS since they’re some of the best games we’ve seen in ages. Elden ring, FF Rebirth, AC6, Stellar Blade…

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
There were a lot of good games that just came out last year and this year. I am totally fine the the hardware is not upgrading at neck break speeds.

Nintendo is pushing out lots of good stuff.

Zarak

I've been gaming since Pong and I agree. There are some fantastic games but way less than past generations.

acm2000

7 years of development for a 6 hour visually spectacular but gameplay limited experience. I say, not worth it.

Spend that CPU 'horse power' (even if it's a Ryzen 1+ CPU) on something more systems driven and dynamic. I'm personally fine with PS4 level graphics (even PS360 for that matter) if it means we finally get to innovate more on dynamic/reactive game-logic stuff, instead of individual eyelash hairs.
7 years? it entered full production in mid 2021

Naked Lunch

Easily the worst gen and I don't ever see it getting better.
Ive actually nearly completely given up on the hobby because of the lack of great games.
Its been years and years of trash - im still waiting.
When I do game - I usually just boot up one of my retro consoles.

I spend most of my free time reading books - particularly classic literature.
Far better use of my time - and far more rewarding.

R6Rider

Gold Member
No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Puscifer

"True Next Gen"

Play games, enjoy games. Stop whining about some arbitrary non-defined mark of advancement.
Pretty much this. I wonder if OP has really dug into the indie scene, I feel like around 2017~ish those awkward early years went away and they started finding their strides.

Risk of Rain 2 is my most played game of all time

T4keD0wN

Gaming has never been better than these last 2 years for me, but yeah, i wish studios focused more on improvements and innovations that are not visuals/graphics related too.

The hardware ist not the problem. Shitty devs that want to play It safe because of high development costs are the problem.

GTAVI will be the first open world game that you will call current gen.

Matter of preference I guess, I wouldn’t trade games like AssCreed or CoD 4 for Armored Core 6, Baldur’s Gate 3. The PS3/360 gen was also abnormally long with very little happening in the later years.

Not to mention the difference in output between Wii era Nintendo and Switch era Nintendo, indie games barely existing at the time, etc.

Late 360/PS3/Wii and early Xbone/PS4/Wii-U was the worst period of console gaming. The PC scene was doing well from 2009 to 2016 but since 2017 the script has flipped again. Guess we'll see what happens with this generation, there have been a few heavy hitters early and I have a feeling it will be a backloaded generation like the previous one. In the meantime, indies and those cross-gen titles have been propping the industry up.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This gen has been the worst of all time. The absolute worst. When I see people saying 'it's been GREAT for me', all I can think of is what the fuck are you smoking and how much is it.

Sony has had fuck all outside of a handful of titles. They jacked up the prices of literally everything, their mainline prices are now prohibitively expensive ($125AUD for Stellar Blade? Fuck off.). Everything is built for the zoomer Fortnite broccoli haired fuckwit player, with microtransactions and battle passes. Horrible San Francisco progressive politics lathered across everything as developers climb over one another to 'be on the right side of history'. Microsoft absolutely shat the bed, to the point that the Xbox brand may be retired so that they can pursue their failed ambitions as the 'Netflix of games', something barely anyone wants. And, Nintendo were SO successful with Switch that they decided to sit this one out and just coast on fumes, releasing stuff like 'Tears Of The Kingdom', which would have been annihilated as a low effort remake of 'Breath Of The Wild' if it had been anything other than a Zelda game by the blue haired fart huffers in what remains of the shambling corpse of the 'gaming media'.

It's just endless miles of trash. Being excited about contemporary gaming at this point is a fool's errand. The hardware sucks, the software is non-existent, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

Thank fuck for Steam and PC gaming - just need to find a way to exile the streamers, zoomers, and retards who flocked to the platform in an attempt to appear 'hardcore' and we're good to go.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This gen has been the worst of all time. The absolute worst. When I see people saying 'it's been GREAT for me', all I can think of is what the fuck are you smoking and how much is it.

Sony has had fuck all outside of a handful of titles. They jacked up the prices of literally everything, their mainline prices are now prohibitively expensive ($125AUD for Stellar Blade? Fuck off.). Everything is built for the zoomer Fortnite broccoli haired fuckwit player, with microtransactions and battle passes. Horrible San Francisco progressive politics lathered across everything as developers climb over one another to 'be on the right side of history'. Microsoft absolutely shat the bed, to the point that the Xbox brand may be retired so that they can pursue their failed ambitions as the 'Netflix of games', something barely anyone wants. And, Nintendo were SO successful with Switch that they decided to sit this one out and just coast on fumes, releasing stuff like 'Tears Of The Kingdom', which would have been annihilated as a low effort remake of 'Breath Of The Wild' if it had been anything other than a Zelda game by the blue haired fart huffers in what remains of the shambling corpse of the 'gaming media'.

It's just endless miles of trash. Being excited about contemporary gaming at this point is a fool's errand. The hardware sucks, the software is non-existent, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

Thank fuck for Steam and PC gaming - just need to find a way to exile the streamers, zoomers, and retards who flocked to the platform in an attempt to appear 'hardcore' and we're good to go.

PC Gaming and the Switch has been the saving graces of this gen for me. PS5 is such a massive disappointment and the Xbox Series X/S is such a failure it turned the brand into third party.

Optimus Lime

PC Gaming and the Switch has been the saving graces of this gen for me. PS5 is such a massive disappointment and the Xbox Series X/S is such a failure it turned the brand into third party.
This generation is so horrible that it literally killed Xbox, one of the most dominant brands in gaming for at least a decade. That is crazy stuff.

darrylgorn

My daughter who plays tablet games: 'Do you know when videogame graphics are going to get better, because the ones on the new systems don't look any different.'

It's joever.

Zathalus

Hard disagree, the past 4 years have had some seriously amazing games come out. Even graphically we have plenty of games pushing the boundaries.

I'm honestly puzzled at those that claim this gen is trash, sure there is tons of shit but every gen has that. The simple trick is to just ignore all of that and just play good games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This generation is so horrible that it literally killed Xbox, one of the most dominant brands in gaming for at least a decade. That is crazy stuff.

Nah, not really. The Xbox lost any dominance back in the 360 era after the announcement of the Xbox One (and even then it was on a slow and gradual decline). This generation just finally put the nail in the coffin.

Though Sony is going the same way with the idiotic management, forced censorship, and focus on DEI and GAAS nonsense.

Worried about Nintendo. FE Engage and then titles like the recent re-write of Paper Mario does not lead me to having confidence.

At least on PC I can have a mod to get the original translations.

Optimus Lime

Nah, not really. The Xbox lost any dominance back in the 360 era after the announcement of the Xbox One (and even then it was on a slow and gradual decline). This generation just finally put the nail in the coffin.
Nah, not really. The Xbox One had a good first year - people forget about successes like Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, etc. Enthusiast forums like Gaf hated it, and it was never in the lead, but it wasn't the catastrophic failure that it became. The trouble for Xbox REALLY started with the departure of Don Mattrick, who understood the importance of software, and the installation of Phil Spencer, who has been a dog chasing cars for ten years in order to find the hook to beat Sony, after he decided that software no longer matters.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Past couple years have been loaded with amazing games.

Being on PC+Deck has been awesome. Best time for gaming ever. I could see console fanboys having a tough time with everything being multiplatform and on PC.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I was of the same mind set for a while but when I went back a generation it was jarring. There has been massive changes, you just got used to them already

DeepSpace5D

I personally feel that I could never keep up with the amount of games I want to play that have released this gen even if I gamed almost all day everyday 🤷🏻‍♂️

Games are so long nowadays and I have behemoths in my backlog like Baldur’s Gate 3, Dragon’s Dogma 2, FFVII Rebirth, and Shadow of the Erdtree is on the way.

Even if I just attempt to knock out some titles in my backlog for a few months, I feel I get further behind with new releases when stuff keeps coming out constantly.

Last edited:

Darak

Sometimes I even lament the technology improvements. I mean, 360/PS3 era games looked pretty great to me, there was no shortage of impressive vistas and detailed characters, with plenty of room for artistic expression. Nowadays everything takes forever and is insanely expensive to make, which means we get less top tier titles, and less risks are taken. The hyperrealism is often taken to completely unnecessary levels, it's like you can't just have a random desk in a random room, it must be filled with a hundred props and details everywhere, for no reason.

There is surely some level of old man yelling at cloud here, but I feel like there are far too many remakes and not enough AAA games to be excited about, in general.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I think it's telling how often you see people comment how great this gen is because of how easy it is to access old games.

There is a reason old games seem so exciting ya know

Durin

There definitely has been a diminished return of graphical fidelity this gen, and the major effects like ray-tracing that could define this period still can't run well on console hardware.

I would say to quit judging how "next-gen" a thing is at all, much less put so much stock of that into big-budget games pushing fidelity. The last Zelda game did more with physics on ancient Switch hardware too.

This gen has actually been great for me, the absolute best for mid-tier to indie titles, but the worst if you consume mainly AAA.

360/PS3 gen still easily the worst IMO. It created most of the stupid parts of this industry (especially monetization), Japanese game development slumped, many AAA games were samey rip-offs of the best few (just like now), PC felt dead for half the gen until Steam brought things back, and the b-games/indie scene was far smaller to offer a strong alternative.

ungalo

On one hand it's true this gen is by far the worse (i don't even know if we can call it a generation honestly), on the other i feel that people who are saying this are just waiting to have their Horizon Zero Dawn ou Ghost of Tsushima for this generation, i mean either a sequel of those big franchises with better graphics, or new IP but still action/adventure AAA generic stuff with better graphics.

I already disliked the dynamic gaming was in since PS4 gen so i'm not that disappointed. The death of midbudget was already a thing, and the big uniformization and narrowing of AAA games too.

Right now i feel like playing old games and discovering genres i barely touched previously and i'm enjoying myself. So yeah current gaming sucks but i'm still having a blast.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Microsoft has really dropped the ball lately with it's releases and studio managment. PS5 does seem to dribble things out.

I tend to retrogame, so I don't really notice.

Buggy Loop

It's only bad if you cling to AAA. That has cratered and are now trying to cater to the dumbest audiences and to represent everyone.

AA + Indies have been excellent and taken 90% of my gaming time.

baphomet

People forget how shitty the 360/PS3 gen actually was. Nearly 10 years long and games running at 20fps, with non HD resolutions, and while still having constant screen tearing.

The consoles being pure trash by 2012 was what pushed lots of people to build a PC. A lot of those people never came back.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's a mixed bag.

Western AAA games suck, most AAA (no matter from where) take years to be made. Also woke stuff up the ass.

New ips are meh too, people here are shitting on the PS3/360 era but I miss that one. We got Mass Effect, Dead Space, Bioshock, and some more, all of them with multiple titles being released during the same gen.

But on the other hand, you have consoles finally doing 60fps, the Steam Deck, VR, lots of indies and AA being released constantly and everywhere, and barely any exclusive titles, which for me is a good thing.

So yeah, things could be better sure, but it's not that bad. For me personally, I still enjoy many japanese releases, south korea is releasing some cool stuff too and the slavjank kino is back later this year with KCD2.

Last edited:

ungalo

People forget how shitty the 360/PS3 gen actually was
Or perhaps they liked it ?

It's true that this is the moment where a lot of games made the choice of pushing graphical fidelity instead of 60 fps, among other things. But it stayed like that after it during the PS4 gen lol, nothing changed. And honestly it's even the same with PS5 and Series X, since the games that run at 60 are PS4 games if we're being honest.

It's the same for DLCs, online subscriptions and all, appeared during 360 gen, but it's not specific to it. Only shitty motion control is.

And every console sold well during this gen so i doubt there was a massive exodus.

Last edited:
Been gaming since pacman and space invaders.
The switch is doing well for me. So I’m happy.

Third party is quite strong imho, it's the platform holders themselves who seem to be in an identity crisis.
This.. Really its only people that are graphics snobs that can't stand this gen or who want non stop AAA setpeices and multiplayer.

For single player jrpgs and throwbacks the switch has been really amazing, and first party nintendo hit it out of the park. It also has some ports of pc games on it. (Wizardry, Gothic 1 and 2 on a console, a nintendo console, wtf, great stuff).

PS5 games from sony and xbox games by xbox have been meh, but 3rd party has been great, dragons dogma 2, elden ring, hogwarts, cyberpunk, robocop.... yeah 1st party is kinda nothing, and the gaas push turns me off.
Now sony 2nd party has been good this year.
Stellar blade , rise of the ronin and ff7rebirther are great games.

Xbox , I just got my first recently, and outside of starfield, which was sometimes ok, not much has come out. I use mine for playing old games anyway.

Without the switch, it would be a shittier gen that is for sure.

Pelao

This generation has been pretty good for me. I wanted a transitional generation where 60 fps became the norm, even if it came at the cost of other graphical advancements. And that's something that can't be denied at this point. The vast majority of games run at 60 fps or higher, and most of the ones that don't at launch end up doing so eventually anyway.

Last edited:

onQ123

To me this generation has actually been better than the PS4/Xbox One generation

Go buy a PS Portal or another remote play device

Top Bottom